PDA

View Full Version : The 3-4 defense is now en vogue

lamont
02-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Bama runs it...Boom brought it to Auburn...State switched in 2016...LSU and UPig make the switch in 2017...does Shitbird's new DC run Boom's 3-4 or install a 4-3? Chavis may be the last 4-3 holdout in the West

Bama. Auburn, and LSU's DL's are going to be rough. The next group of State, UPig, and the Shitbirds will fight it out from there. A&M returns talent but lost 2 hellacious DE's so they are a wildcard.

The Spread changed offense and we have had an offensive revolution the last decade- with all schools setting offensive records. It appears DC's now believe the 3-4 is the way to fight back

Maroons
02-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Bama runs it...Boom brought it to Auburn...State switched in 2016...LSU and Auburn make the switch in 2017...does Shitbird's new DC run Boom's 3-4 or install a 4-3? Chavis may be the last 4-3 holdout in the West

Bama. Auburn, and LSU's DL's are going to be rough. The next group of State, UPig, and the Shitbirds will fight it out from there. A&M returns talent but lost 2 hellacious DE's so they are a wildcard.

The Spread changed offense and we have had an offensive revolution the last decade- with all schools setting offensive records. It appears DC's now believe the 3-4 is the way to fight back

Arkansas switching this year.

msstate7
02-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Lsu, auburn, and Arkansas switching? '17 may be a better year than expected.

Pretty sure mcgriff is running 4-3

lamont
02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Lsu, auburn, and Arkansas switching? '17 may be a better year than expected.

Pretty sure mcgriff is running 4-3

I corrected- Auburn already runs it- LSU and UPig switching. LSU ran it in their bowl game and took it to Louisville. They wont be fazed

bulldawg28
02-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Bama runs it...Boom brought it to Auburn...State switched in 2016...LSU and UPig make the switch in 2017...does Shitbird's new DC run Boom's 3-4 or install a 4-3? Chavis may be the last 4-3 holdout in the West

Auburn's defensive front may be rough their secondary is suspect big time. And it doesn't matter that they have guys coming back. They're weak in the secondary

BoomBoom
02-12-2017, 06:51 PM

How has our offense historically fared against the 3-4 (absent Bama)?

RocketDawg
02-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Everybody's changing after they saw our overwhelming success with the scheme last year ....

msstate7
02-12-2017, 06:58 PM
I corrected- Auburn already runs it- LSU and UPig switching. LSU ran it in their bowl game and took it to Louisville. They wont be fazed

Lsu is losing white, Riley, beckwith, Neal, and Adams. I know they have talent returning, but that's some very good pieces... 4 of their top 5 tackle leaders. Key does return though and he'll be a monster (probably best in sec).

Adams and Lawson aren't little losses for auburn

DownwardDawg
02-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Wilson ran it at State. It was awesome. Ask auburn.

lamont
02-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Auburn's defensive front may be rough their secondary is suspect big time. And it doesn't matter that they have guys coming back. They're weak in the secondary

Auburn will play for the SEC title in the Iron Bowl

Their DL is going to be top 3 in the SEC and they are very good at LB. They have a safety thats an All-SEC candidate and draft pick-Matthews. Not sure where your Auburn hate comes from- but they are going to be damn good in 2017

msstate7
02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Their DL is going to be top 3 in the SEC and they are very good at LB. They have a safety thats an All-SEC candidate and draft pick-Matthews. Not sure where your Auburn hate comes from- but they are going to be damn good in 2017

Adams and Lawson are pretty big losses. Top 2 TFL guys and top 2 sack guys. Auburn had 25 sacks this year and Adams/Lawson had 13.5 between them, which is 54% of the team's total

lamont
02-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Lsu is losing white, Riley, beckwith, Neal, and Adams. I know they have talent returning, but that's some very good pieces... 4 of their top 5 tackle leaders. Key does return though and he'll be a monster (probably best in sec).

Adams and Lawson aren't little losses for auburn

LSU returns the SEC's best defensive player in Key. They also return Christian Lacotoure, Greg Gilmore and Frank Herron. Rashard Lawrence and Ed Alexander are 2 freshman 5* DT's that got playing time. They signed 5* DE/OLB K'Lavon Chaission who set the Under Armour All American game record for sacks.

Auburn has warriors in Davidson and Russell. Derrick Brown was a 5-star back-up we tried like hell to sign. Cowart aint bad either.

Bama, Auburn, and LSU are far and away the best upfront in the West

ShotgunDawg
02-12-2017, 07:17 PM
How could OM run a 3/4 when they barely can field a squad of LBs?

lamont
02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
How could OM run a 3/4 when they barely can field a squad of LBs?

Haynes is an awful 3-4 fit also

Thick
02-12-2017, 08:07 PM
OM does not have the talent to run a 5-2 much less a 3-4.

RougeDawg
02-12-2017, 08:11 PM

I disagree with auburn. They are a 5-3 sec team at best next year. They haven talent but their schedule flips to bad road games for them. Bama will drum them and LSU should win in BR as well. Clemson will beat them along with a L in at least one of the following games, at A&M, at Ark, or vs Georgia. Will have at least 4 losses, at least 3 in conference. And probably more because if there's anything Gus has proven in the barn is he will lose one he has no business losing.

GTHOM
02-12-2017, 08:16 PM
shit on auburn

thf24
02-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Wilson ran it at State. It was awesome. Ask auburn.

Wilson ran a 3 down front at times. He never ran a 3-4 defense.

hailstate17
02-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Mcgriff is running the defense that stops every offense ***

bulldawg28
02-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Lol...so one good safety and the other potential 4 guys don't matter?

lamont
02-12-2017, 08:59 PM
I disagree with auburn. They are a 5-3 sec team at best next year. They haven talent but their schedule flips to bad road games for them. Bama will drum them and LSU should win in BR as well. Clemson will beat them along with a L in at least one of the following games, at A&M, at Ark, or vs Georgia. Will have at least 4 losses, at least 3 in conference. And probably more because if there's anything Gus has proven in the barn is he will lose one he has no business losing.

Auburn plays State, OM, Georgia, and Bama at home.
Only tough road game in conference is LSU. They will shred Mizzou, A&M, and UPig.

They have 5 SEC wins for sure- with @LSU, Georgia, and Bama left to be decided. They wont lose all 3 of those

Todd4State
02-12-2017, 10:15 PM

I think it's that plus the three most popular DC's in the game right now are Bellicheck, Carroll, and Saban. And Saban is under the Bellicheck tree. Two out of those three are 3-4 guys. Plus in the SEC some of Saban's guys are being hired to coach like Muschamp, Smart, McElwain who I know is an offensive guy but still. Grantham is a Saban guy as well.

I think teams like the idea of getting more LB's on the field and the fact that you can be a little bit more exotic with blitz packages. I do understand the one gap vs. two gap argument and why a one gap is easier or maybe at the very least less confusing. But last year I don't think the problem was so much the scheme as it was the coach in our case. I don't think he knew how to teach it, communicate, and he was also inexperienced and it just led to a disaster.

My guess is the shitbirds will run a 4-3 for no other reason than they don't really have the personnel to run a 3-4. But we'll see.

Todd4State
02-12-2017, 10:16 PM

The best defense I have ever seen at MSU was Joe Lee Dunn's three man front. Not a traditional 3-4 obviously.

Homedawg
02-12-2017, 10:35 PM

This. As does every defensive co I the country! Hell Bama runs more 4 down than they do 3 down

lastmajordog
02-13-2017, 08:36 AM
I’d really love to see the Dogs run a defense in which the secondary covers receivers and actually stick and TACKLE opponents.....don’t know exactly what alignment that is.

Political Hack
02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
OM does not have the talent to run a 5-2 much less a 3-4.

Can WRs play DE?

parabrave
02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
The best defense I have ever seen at MSU was Joe Lee Dunn's three man front. Not a traditional 3-4 obviously.

Yep but remember that he had Smoot, Clinton and Bean. When he lost them his def sucked.

Todd4State
02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Yep but remember that he had Smoot, Clinton and Bean. When he lost them his def sucked.

Every scheme works when you have good players. Are you saying our players suck?

HoopsDawg
02-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Every scheme works when you have good players. Are you saying our players suck?

JLD basically ran a 4-2-5. 4 D-linemen, 2 LB's, 2 corners, 1 FS and 2 Dog safeties. He blitzed a Dog on almost every play. It worked great due to the players we had and the unsophisticated offenses of that era. Offenses got better and he never evolved.

BeardoMSU
02-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Mcgriff is running the defense that stops every offense ***

Actually, their strategy is to keep the D on the field as much as possible; that way the Offense can come in rested and ready***

parabrave
02-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Well it depends. Do you consider def backs playing whiffle ball all year instead of tackling ball sucking? I never saw Smoot or those guys waffling.

lamont
02-13-2017, 01:38 PM
We played some 4-2-5 under JLD but played more 3-3-5. Used to drive me crazy watching us line up 3 guys on 1st down. But we had some animals upfront and off the edge that made it work. We played man coverage almost exclusively and that's great when you have NFL CB's. Multiple WR sets started giving us trouble because we would have Morgan lined up man on slot WR's. He was a good safety- but struggled in coverage at times.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2017, 02:24 PM
We played some 4-2-5 under JLD but played more 3-3-5. Used to drive me crazy watching us line up 3 guys on 1st down. But we had some animals upfront and off the edge that made it work. We played man coverage almost exclusively and that's great when you have NFL CB's. Multiple WR sets started giving us trouble because we would have Morgan lined up man on slot WR's. He was a good safety- but struggled in coverage at times.

He was great when he could play centerfield but he was pretty bad if he had to line up on someone. Didn't UK have a TE that had like 14 catches with Morgan covering him?

QuadrupleOption
02-13-2017, 02:35 PM
I’d really love to see the Dogs run a defense in which the secondary covers receivers and actually stick and TACKLE opponents.....don’t know exactly what alignment that is.

^^^ THIS.

It won't matter what we run if we keep seeing the same shitty fundamentals trotted out every game.

parabrave
02-13-2017, 02:38 PM
^^^ THIS.

It won't matter what we run if we keep seeing the same shitty fundamentals trotted out every game.

Second

Todd4State
02-13-2017, 02:42 PM
JLD basically ran a 4-2-5. 4 D-linemen, 2 LB's, 2 corners, 1 FS and 2 Dog safeties. He blitzed a Dog on almost every play. It worked great due to the players we had and the unsophisticated offenses of that era. Offenses got better and he never evolved.

I think it was more about our talent decreasing. He had success at Memphis after MSU. If the blitzes aren't getting home it's harder to cover. And no doubt our DB's weren't as good either after Smoot and Bean and that didn't help either.

dawgday166
02-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Second

Third

Todd4State
02-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Well it depends. Do you consider def backs playing whiffle ball all year instead of tackling ball sucking? I never saw Smoot or those guys waffling.

That was Coman his entire career. Not sure what Bryant's problem was. We've got three new JUCO DB's so the guys returning better nut up.

But again- when JLD was at his best we were able to get pressure up front. Under Sirmon we couldn't do that with our front seven consistently at least in SEC play. Torrey Dale started all year long and registered zero sacks. We can't have that.

At any rate it is silly to me to see people say this or that scheme won't work because it didn't work at MSU under this guy when the reason it didn't work was because of an incompetent coach and a lack of talent.