PDA

View Full Version : Watched the game... Alcorn is terrible

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I hope some of this translates to auburn but in all honesty will believe it when I see it. It's just impossible to tell for me because the competition is so horrid. Many many many things that worked will not against auburn or any other team with a pulse, and if dak leads our wrs across the middle with high throws someone is gonna get hurt.

Alcorn is so overmatched its impossible to tell.

I think I have extreme tempered optimism .

maroonmania
09-08-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't feel like I got anything from the game yesterday that translates to how we will play against Auburn on the road. Can't really believe anyone thinks we would have a better than 50/50 shot to win this weekend especially after Auburn beat up on a pretty decent Ark. St. team.

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes...agree. I'm falling back on the fact that watching us against ok state, I thought we were as talented as them. Only thing I learned is that we would dominate the swac.

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 10:38 AM
This is why playing the SWAC does not do us any good! I swear it stunts your growth. It is quite dumb to do this and we're the only ones that do it.

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 10:42 AM
it gets us to a bowl game every year and injects money into our home state programs. it's a great idea.

bgdog
09-08-2013, 11:06 AM
it gets us to a bowl game every year and injects money into our home state programs. it's a great idea.

+100

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah but we don't have to schedule a swac school to get to a bowl. If we do, then we don't belong in the SEC, plain and simple. The money that they collect from game will probably be misappropriated anyway.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:20 AM
People bitch when we play good teams, bitch when we play bad teams? Damn we may be the most retarded fan base in the world.... We win we are pissed we lose we are pissed, damn people! Root for your damn team and realize they are 18-22 yrs old, shut up!

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
This is why playing the SWAC does not do us any good! I swear it stunts your growth. It is quite dumb to do this and we're the only ones that do it.

So let me make sure I'm clear on what you believe:

1. You want us to pay a mid-major type school, like Southeast Missouri State, twice as much money

2. You want the money to leave the state of Mississippi

3. And all of this because you believe that by Southeast Missouri State being, debatably, a hair better than Alcorn, it will help MSU be a better team?

Just checking the logic here to make sure I have everything straight.

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Who is pissed that we won?

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Yes I believe this is it.... I mean hey let's be TSUN play the same shitty team but make it a close game and give more money? We have the most frustrating fans ever

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Playing SWAC stunts your growth, playing top 25 stunts your growth.... We are only happy playing teams 42-57 and that might get iffy if any get better thru the season...

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
We played 25 freshmen yesterday- including many whom had never played a game before and may be needed down the road. Explain to me how this "stunts our growth as a team?"

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
if you're going to buy a win, buy it cheap and keep the money local.

Also, the in-state PR impacts from having good relationships with the other programs (sub-division, Juco, etc...) are huge.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 11:40 AM

1. You want us to pay a mid-major type school, like Southeast Missouri State, twice as much money

3. And all of this because you believe that by Southeast Missouri State being, debatably, a hair better than Alcorn, it will help MSU be a better team?

And to add- if we had played someone like SEMO State, we would have had to play Perkins and several of our other starters and gotten them beat up a little bit more in the process.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM

It allows us to get an easy win
It allows us to play everybody- boosting team morale
It allows us to rest banged up players

We should play an in-state SWAC school every year

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Yes, and I stand by it. Alcorn St is a great deal worse than SE Missouri St., believe it or not. I hope we are now better prepared for Auburn.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
if you're going to buy a win, buy it cheap and keep the money local.

Also, the in-state PR impacts from having good relationships with the other programs (sub-division, Juco, etc...) are huge.

Especially if it's a HBCU. There were a couple of presentations before and during the game about the relationship between the two universities. Also, if we are going to build some sidewalk fans- you better believe that some of those Alcorn and JSU fans are going to remember what we did to help them and might even pull for us a little bit.

TheRef
09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Especially if it's a HBCU. There were a couple of presentations before and during the game about the relationship between the two universities. Also, if we are going to build some sidewalk fans- you better believe that some of those Alcorn and JSU fans are going to remember what we did to help them and might even pull for us a little bit.

Agreed. I have friends that go to JSU and they said that they would much rather cheer for MSU than USM or TSUN. The fact is that we are humble enough to schedule teams like that and let their fans/players get to enjoy a SEC stadium and atmosphere that they may NEVER get to personally see their team play in. So when perception is everything, MSU is definitely being the nice guy here and is being rewarded by getting easy wins that count towards a bowl.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Ha I wish we coulda played BYU or Miami so we could be better prepared for f'n Auburn... How stupid we woulda been in a dogfight and possibly lost or gotten people hurt, auburn had to play their starters fairly deep due to their opponent. Do u think our coaches prepared for Alcorn all week? Hell no! Even in their interviews yesterday they were talking about how they got to watch film on AU, do u think they woulda been able to do that playing Louisiana Monroe or Arkansas state???

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes, and I stand by it. Alcorn St is a great deal worse than SE Missouri St., believe it or not. I hope we are now better prepared for Auburn.

And your an idiot. So you really know that SE Missouri State is much better than Alcorn? How do you know this? Are you comparing recruiting rankings to make this evaluation? How do you compare 2 star vs 2 stars?

I am just asking how you can make the evaluation that SE Missouri State is better than Alcorn?

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 11:58 AM
We can play freshman against Tulane, UAB, Memphis, and even Troy, USA, and a host of other schools. I think some of our freshman should play next Sat.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I think we are a more determined football team and know our personnel better. I think we will understand what it takes to beat Auburn by playing OSU. Auburn is not a good team. They beat two teams that let the Auburn environment get to them. WSU had a very good chance to beat them and went down to the wire. ASU had many chances in the red zone but could only come up with 9 points. If we can stop the run and force them to be one dimensional which I believe we can, we can beat them by 14+. Having Auburn start out as a 7 point favorite is rediculous.

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 12:04 PM
And your an idiot. So you really know that SE Missouri State is much better than Alcorn? How do you know this? Are you comparing recruiting rankings to make this evaluation? How do you compare 2 star vs 2 stars?

I am just asking how you can make the evaluation that SE Missouri State is better than Alcorn?

Alcorn St would lose handily to SE Missouri St. It doesn't mean they're worth a damn but we are talking the SWAC. Tulane buried Jackson St., for example.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 12:12 PM
We can play freshman against Tulane, UAB, Memphis, and even Troy, USA, and a host of other schools. I think some of our freshman should play next Sat.

The last time we played Troy, we only won but one score. We beat USA by 18 the last time we played them. Within the last ten years we have lost to both Tulane and UAB (Thanks Croom!), and two other times against UAB we went to OT and only won by four the other. You don't want to put freshmen in situations where we could potentially blow a game to a C-USA or Sun Belt team. And even if they did play, they would get a lot fewer reps than they did against Alcorn.

And it's not just us- several D-I teams were upset by I-AA teams in week one- like Kansas State and Oregon State. Two programs that are very similar to us.

And even in the SEC- look at Arkansas- loss to ULM last year and then they struggled against Samford this year. Ole Miss only beat SEMO State by 17. Auburn has struggled against Arkansas State recently- and if I remember correctly almost lost to Utah State the year they won the National Title. Kentucky has lost to Western kentucky the past two years.

hacker
09-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Convinced Bothrops is a troll. Or just the worst poster ever.

TheRef
09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Convinced Bothrops is a troll. Or just the worst poster ever.

Or probably both.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Agreed! The directional muzzy school is not a step up from Alcorn... I don't care what u say that's the dumbest shit I have ever heard

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Mizzou*

thf24
09-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I think we are a more determined football team and know our personnel better. I think we will understand what it takes to beat Auburn by playing OSU. Auburn is not a good team. They beat two teams that let the Auburn environment get to them. WSU had a very good chance to beat them and went down to the wire. ASU had many chances in the red zone but could only come up with 9 points. If we can stop the run and force them to be one dimensional which I believe we can, we can beat them by 14+. Having Auburn start out as a 7 point favorite is rediculous.

Agreed. Keep in mind that the line was probably set and will move based simply on the names "Auburn" and "Mississippi State".

Dannyripms
09-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Hey bud, I wouldn't talk smack about troy. They almost handed our ass a loss. And it will be a dog fight this year.

RougeDawg
09-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Let me put is this way, I think more fans across the south didnt even know southeast Missouri had a school, much less a football team until this last weekend.

This game against Alcorn was perfect for our team at this time. No question about it.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I think AU stacks the box against us with Dak and tests his arm all game, watch 2 yrs ago and that's exactly what our game will look exactly like this week, it's goin to be a fight no question.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
We needed that Alcorn for our Psyche, perfect example is last years stretch starting at Bama, when u get beat to death every week it is tough on young players. Was the perfect thing for us at that time and gave Dak some confidence which is paramount for a QB!

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
You're both wrong. We just have a difference in opinion about playing SWAC schools.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Wow ok, no use beating a retarded ass dead horse...

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I am not a troll. If you think that, then you have never read any of my previous posts. The reason I want freshman to play in those other games is to get them more up to speed with SEC talent. Not just SWAC games. A lot of our freshman are more talented then some of our starters. I can see this with my eyes.

I respect the hell out of Troy, and want to have an easier game than last year. This team has enough gifted athletes to play deep into the roster and win.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
If anybody is wondering why it's hard to recruit to MSU.....read the posts in this thread and you will see a part of the problem. We have some truly stupid fans that don't get it.

We need bowl games. Period. Playing that game against OSU got us zero good publicity, and damn near zero publicity period because nobody in the media even discussed it. Guess what? Yesterday was the same thing....no publicity, no discussion, but a ****ing WIN in the win/loss column. All of you morons wanting to pay some out of state cupcake when we can pay a cheaper in state cupcake, are clueless. We pay Alcorn and JSU....we beat them handily while getting reps for younger guys.....we grow our fan base in MS as someone above stated.....and most importantly we are a game closer to a bowl. OSU did none of that.

We aren't Bama, LSU, A&M, etc. And just like you fools that are saying "nobody else in the SEC schedules SWAC schools", I say, nobody else in the SEC not named Bama, LSU, or Georgia, schedules a ****ing top 15 team at a neutral site on opening weekend either. So make sure you understand that nobody gives a shit how tough your schedule was when you're sitting at home during bowl season. We need the money and exposure that bowl games get us. Period. That should be our primary focus. We play Bama, LSU, A&M, and South Carolina in conference. PLUS Aub, Ark, Ole Miss......no other conference has that schedule, and damn near nobody in our OWN conference has that schedule....so there is zero reason to schedule a single tough opponent outside of our conference. ZERO.

Rant over

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't think I'm "stupid". Regardless, I stand by my feeling that playing Ok State exposed as as sucking on offense. And by "sucking" I mean our play callling sucked, not our players. And, it woke up the coaching staff so hopefully they won't do that crap anymore.

There is no way to prove this, of course, but hopefully we're more imaginative than we were against Ok State for the simple fact that we got exposed. Sometimes its good to be exposed to show what you have to fix. Also, fact is we could have beat Ok State, and would have with a little imagination. So, we diidn't lose to them because our program wasn't ready to play such a tough foe. We lost because we got outcoached...period.

I'm not sure what all this has to do wiht "hard to recruit at msu"...seems a stretch to me.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't think I'm "stupid". Regardless, I stand by my feeling that playing Ok State exposed as as sucking on offense. And by "sucking" I mean our play callling sucked, not our players. And, it woke up the coaching staff so hopefully they won't do that crap anymore.

There is no way to prove this, of course, but hopefully we're more imaginative than we were against Ok State for the simple fact that we got exposed. Sometimes its good to be exposed to show what you have to fix. Also, fact is we could have beat Ok State, and would have with a little imagination. So, we diidn't lose to them because our program wasn't ready to play such a tough foe. We lost because we got outcoached...period.

I'm not sure what all this has to do wiht "hard to recruit at msu"...seems a stretch to me.

It has to do with recruiting bc recruits want to play for a winning team. You would rather us go 5-7 and play Ok St...when we need to be winning 6 games and doing whatever it takes to do it...like playing Alcorn

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I thought we should have beat Ok State.

Think of what that would have done for recruiting!!

CadaverDawg
09-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Well, 99% of the country knew we wouldn't beat them....so it did nothing for recruiting except hurt us if we end up one win away from a bowl. It also caused 7 injuries, two of which ended seasons for two starters. Not saying that couldn't have happened against anyone else, but still.

Not saying you are stupid by the way....just that I feel some of you and our other fans' perceptions and thoughts on MSU are stupid at times.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Recruits don't look at games individually. Even winning the Egg Bowl has very little to do with where a recruit goes in over 90% of the cases. What they look at is the bottom line and trends- such as winning and overall record. They know from playing high school football that upsets can and will happen in football- and upsets aren't necessarily an indicator of which direction a program is or isn't going.

Recruits want to win championships, go to bowls, and win games. Telling a kid "We went 3-9, but look at who we played!" isn't going to work.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
And actually on that note, I think our players like playing JSU and Alcorn. They were a LOT more fired up for Alcorn than they were for Oklahoma State. I'm sure many of our players know their players and they enjoy competing against them.

I think the above fact actually helps us with in state players in some cases.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Why is SEMO better then Alcorn St? Show me why. They both suck really bad. That's why both had wide spread.

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok State, our season is different than if we win 8 and beat Ok State. consider if we win 8 this year and had beaten Ok State. Then they go on to win the Big 12. Then we are ranked higher and possibly in a better bowl. We have a far more convincing story than if we win 8 and our best win is Kentucky.

It's all about risks. I think it matters on your appetite for risks. However, like everything else, with greater risks come greater reward.

Recruits don't look at games individually. Even winning the Egg Bowl has very little to do with where a recruit goes in over 90% of the cases. What they look at is the bottom line and trends- such as winning and overall record. They know from playing high school football that upsets can and will happen in football- and upsets aren't necessarily an indicator of which direction a program is or isn't going.

Recruits want to win championships, go to bowls, and win games. Telling a kid "We went 3-9, but look at who we played!" isn't going to work.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Why is SEMO better then Alcorn St? Show me why. They both suck really bad. That's why both had wide spread.

Look at the SWAC's history in the I-AA playoffs and you will see why.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Ok State, our season is different than if we win 8 and beat Ok State. consider if we win 8 this year and had beaten Ok State. Then they go on to win the Big 12. Then we are ranked higher and possibly in a better bowl. We have a far more convincing story than if we win 8 and our best win is Kentucky.

It's all about risks. I think it matters on your appetite for risks. However, like everything else, with greater risks come greater reward.

Possibly but not likely because the media is the one that controls the polls. And they always find some hole in our resume and harp on it no matter what it is. As long as you have Archie and Brando doing college football, it's going to be an issue.

FlabLoser
09-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I only saw the score, 31-13. Thats not real impressive against a SEMO. I heard the OM offense sputtered all 2nd half.