PDA

View Full Version : Shump

msstate7
09-08-2013, 10:04 AM
We burned his redshirt, so how much you expect out of him? I hope our coaching staff doesn't go back to using LP between the tackles when we have a battering ram (AS) available. Will this be the week we use our rb's correctly? I think it might be. We gave Shump a lot of carries hopefully so he'll be ready this week

MetEdDawg
09-08-2013, 10:11 AM
We don't have a true combo back that can run consistently between the tackles, beat guys to the outside, and catch out of the backfield. Perkins and Rob can't run consistently between the tackles. Milton hasn't really been asked to do both. Griffin is still not 100%, but he is probably the closest to a combo back out of those 4.

Shumpert can do it all, so I think he will play a larger part in our offense moving forward. For his first game ever as a true freshmen, I would say he certainly looks the part regardless of who we played.

chef dixon
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Watching him play yesterday, burning the redshirt was the right move. The guy is the best running back we have on our roster, and he'll only get better. Reminded me a little of Gurley from Georgia. Maybe it was the hair.

fishwater99
09-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Why did he not play vs OSU. I don't think Dan is smart enough to give him the touches he needs.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Watching him play yesterday, burning the redshirt was the right move. The guy is the best running back we have on our roster, and he'll only get better. Reminded me a little of Gurley from Georgia. Maybe it was the hair.

I just hope it wasn't burned on the Alcorn State game and then he fades into obscurity for the remainder of the season.

msstate7
09-09-2013, 07:21 AM
I just hope it wasn't burned on the Alcorn State game and then he fades into obscurity for the remainder of the season.

This is my hope too. I think if nothing else we have a guy to solve the short yardage problems we've had. That said, LP will probably get stuffed on 4th and 1 to lose the game Saturday

HereComesTheSpiral
09-09-2013, 07:29 AM
This is my hope too. I think if nothing else we have a guy to solve the short yardage problems we've had. That said, LP will probably get stuffed on 4th and 1 to lose the game Saturday

If that was to happen, Dan might want to start applying for OC positions

Original48
09-09-2013, 07:36 AM
This was my reason for the thread I started on burning his redshirt. If saving him for Alcorn was in order to ease him into a role he will be taking on, then great. I'm just fearful our 'best' running back and best option at quarterback will not be on the field in meaningful minutes vs Auburn. And that will mean a wasted year for Shumpert, Dak, and our entire team.

CadaverDawg
09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
I hate to say it, but I think A. Everyone has a bit of a false sense of how great AS is due to us playing Alcorn. Don't get me wrong, he is good and will probably be GREAT in his career, but it's easy to look "studly" against the Corn. And B. I think Mullen will let him play against Bowling Green, Troy, and maybe Kentucky, but outside of that I expect little action. Do I agree with that? No. But I'm just basing it on what Mullen has done in the past. Hell, last year JRob was more than game ready and we barely saw him and he was averaging like 6 yards per carry and was the backup RB. So nothing makes me think Dan and his "Seniority favoritism" will allow Shump to get a ton of carries this year. Unfortunately.

I would just like to see JRob get the amount of carries HE deserves, because he is our best back right now. however, Shumpert could fight him for the starting role next year.

FlabLoser
09-09-2013, 08:06 AM
We were playing Alcorn, but the good thing is all of our RBs were playing Alcorn. Shump played Alcorn a lot better than any of the other RBs played Alcorn. Get what Im sayin..

Coach34
09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I'll be surprised if Shump gets more than 5 carries in any game the rest of the season

JRob averaged 6.0 yards per carry last year- and 8 yards per carry vs Northwestern and Ok State combined. And we see what that has done for his playing time- 2 carries vs Alcorn. If Shump has 50 carries by season's end I'll be shocked

HancockCountyDog
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I'll be surprised if Shump gets more than 5 carries in any game the rest of the season

JRob averaged 6.0 yards per carry last year- and 8 yards per carry vs Northwestern and Ok State combined. And we see what that has done for his playing time- 2 carries vs Alcorn. If Shump has 50 carries by season's end I'll be shocked

If that is the case I'll be disappointed. I was at the game and its hard to not be impressed with his physical running style.

Burning a year for a game against Alcorn is just ridiculous.

Coach34
09-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, aGAIN- JRob has been averaging 8 ypc the last 2 games- and he barely played vs Alcorn. If 8 ypc is not good enough to get you the starting RB job- nothing Shump has done or will do is going to make it happen this season

godlluB
09-09-2013, 08:49 AM
We were playing Alcorn, but the good thing is all of our RBs were playing Alcorn. Shump played Alcorn a lot better than any of the other RBs played Alcorn. Get what Im sayin..

^^^^^ This.

Coach34
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
So Shump looked alot better than JRob did on his whopping 2 carries? The guy who has averaged 8 ypc vs 2 top 15 teams in his previous 2 outings?

PUMP THE BRAKES

PassInterference
09-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Maybe Shump getting PT was a crootin promise.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Well, aGAIN- JRob has been averaging 8 ypc the last 2 games- and he barely played vs Alcorn. If 8 ypc is not good enough to get you the starting RB job- nothing Shump has done or will do is going to make it happen this season

+1

BhamDawg
09-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I hate to say it, but I think A. Everyone has a bit of a false sense of how great AS is due to us playing Alcorn.

Agreed. Comparing him to Todd Gurley and Trent Richardson, like some have, is absolutely ridiculous.

fishwater99
09-09-2013, 09:52 AM

Then why play him at all? Why waste a year on a good RB for ASU?

hacker
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Because he's really, really good. I'm not comparing him to Gurley, but he's not going to be here 5 years. It doesn't matter if he touches the ball again this year.

To the people who are saying we have a false sense of how good he is because Alcorn, I think you have a false false sense because Alcorn. Shump looked like the best RB Saturday, and he's only going to get better.

Shump could also contribute on special teams too. We burned Tolando Cleveland's redshirt for special teams.

engie
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Shumpert is the best collegiate RB to come through MS since Dixon -- at least until Aeris Williams makes it to MSU next year. I said it during recruiting -- and I'm saying it now. I still vividly remember him trucking Reuben Foster, the #1 overall LB in the country last year, in the MS/Ala all-star game the exact same way he was running through Alcorn defenders...

I think Shump plays a pretty big role going forward. What I saw in the Alcorn game was a sense of urgency from Mullen that I haven't seen in awhile in the early party of the game. It also seems to me that the coaches like Shump more in the passing game than any other RB outside of Perkins...