PDA

View Full Version : I went to the women's game tonight.....

Liverpooldawg
02-10-2017, 12:30 AM
I don't know if they can hang with UConn (the greatest dynasty of all time in US sports) but they are hands down one of the best teams to have ever worn the Maroon & White in any sport. If you haven't been to see them in person do yourself a favor and go see at least one game.

BeardoMSU
02-10-2017, 12:40 AM
We just need to lock up a 1 seed, and pray to God UCONN is on the other side of the bracket, and that they slip up before the championship game.

MabenMaroon
02-10-2017, 04:49 AM
Heard another ESPN talking head saying we could hang with UConn, that total is up to 3 now. Doesn't matter if we play UConn or a team that might beat them, the challenge would be immense but I wouldn't bet against this team handling the challenge. They have depth, tenacious defense, size and speed, experience and multiple scoring options. They also continue to improve each game. Going to be a fun ride ... PTLGD

starkvegasdawg
02-10-2017, 08:12 AM
As of right now they have us a the last 1 seed which means we would see UConn in the final 4 if neither team screwed the pooch.

msstate7
02-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Off topic, but should a men's program offer geno auriemma a job? Should he take it if offered? If he could win big time with a men's program, geno would go down as one of the best basketball coaches ever... he probably already is

TXDawg
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
As of right now they have us a the last 1 seed which means we would see UConn in the final 4 if neither team screwed the pooch.

That seeding was done before Baylor lost to Texas. Commentators last night were saying that Baylor would drop out of a #1 seed and SCar and MSU would both move up one spot. Also, don't forget that SCar has to play UConn Monday night, so they'll likely pick up another loss. Not sure if that's enough to bump them down a slot, though.

basedog
02-10-2017, 09:04 AM
I don't know if they can hang with UConn (the greatest dynasty of all time in US sports) but they are hands down one of the best teams to have ever worn the Maroon & White in any sport. If you haven't been to see them in person do yourself a favor and go see at least one game.

As for as greatest dynasty of all time in US sports, maybe. I'd think John Wooten/UCLA run is the greatest. Women's basketball is still weak overall with great or even very good talented teams. No doubt UConn is right up there but......

smootness
02-10-2017, 09:13 AM
As for as greatest dynasty of all time in US sports, maybe. I'd think John Wooten/UCLA run is the greatest. Women's basketball is still weak overall with great or even very good talented teams. No doubt UConn is right up there but......

Wooden had a pretty similar disparity in talent between his team and the rest of the country, though, like Aurriema does. I mean, the guy had Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton without much of a gap in between.

louisvilledawg
02-10-2017, 09:16 AM
We just need to lock up a 1 seed, and pray to God UCONN is on the other side of the bracket, and that they slip up before the championship game.

By "Slip up," you mean "All break their legs," then yes.

smootness
02-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Honestly, I'm ok if we're on the same side as UConn. Obviously I'd rather be on the opposite side, but that would still give us a great chance at the Final 4, and once you get there, you're going to be playing somebody really tough. We may be the 2nd best team in the country, but we also may not be. We don't really know and won't until we play somebody at that level.

I want the Final 4. Anything beyond that is gravy.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Off topic, but should a men's program offer geno auriemma a job? Should he take it if offered? If he could win big time with a men's program, geno would go down as one of the best basketball coaches ever... he probably already is

No he isn't. I give him some credit for what he has done at UCONN, but there is much less parity in the women's game compared to men's, and he simply always has the best players. That is like saying Chuck Daly is the best coach ever for coaching the 1992 Dream Team. I as an 8 year old could have coached that team and won gold.

msstate7
02-10-2017, 09:44 AM
No he isn't. I give him some credit for what he has done at UCONN, but there is much less parity in the women's game compared to men's, and he simply always has the best players. That is like saying Chuck Daly is the best coach ever for coaching the 1992 Dream Team. I as an 8 year old could have coached that team and won gold.

Putting the team together is part of coaching... geno is more Saban than Saban imo.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
I agree with you there. I think he has pretty much built UCONN into a brand in women's basketball that recruits itself. However, if you take him and drop him onto another team with inferior talent, I don't think he makes an instant impact due to his coaching X's and O's.

smootness
02-10-2017, 10:14 AM
I agree with you there. I think he has pretty much built UCONN into a brand in women's basketball that recruits itself. However, if you take him and drop him onto another team with inferior talent, I don't think he makes an instant impact due to his coaching X's and O's.

Depends on what you mean by instant impact. UConn was an utter joke when he showed up (had won 9 games each of the prior 4 years and had won more than that only once in their 11 years in existence), and he won 12 his first year, then 14, 17, and 24 games in his 4th year there and was in the Final 4 by year 6.

He built a juggernaut relatively quickly considering where they had been.

TheRef
02-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Geno almost went to MBK, but his daughters convinced him to stay in WBK. He's not going to Men's. He's too valuable on the Women's side of the court.

notsofarawaydawg
02-10-2017, 12:20 PM
There's no need to worry about UCONN right now. Lot's of wasted words. Got to get a lot of wins before that even needs to be a part of the conversation. At least that's the way the coach and team are approaching it.

smootness
02-10-2017, 12:56 PM
There's no need to worry about UCONN right now. Lot's of wasted words. Got to get a lot of wins before that even needs to be a part of the conversation. At least that's the way the coach and team are approaching it.

Sure, but luckily we aren't the coach or team.

We do have a ways to go, though. We've been great this year, but we could slip up, especially in one of those last 3 games, and knock ourselves down a peg.

Thick
02-10-2017, 01:11 PM
LSU was the last SEC team to beat UCONN. That was in 2007.

smootness
02-10-2017, 01:24 PM
LSU was the last SEC team to beat UCONN. That was in 2007.

Yep. And since then, they are 6-3 against the field in winning national titles. 14 total losses. How stupid is that?

Since losing the Big East championship game to #2 Notre Dame by 2 in 2013, they are 145-1. The one loss is to Stanford by 2 in OT, and all but two of the 145 wins are by double digits.

DawgPoundtheRock
02-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Yep. And since then, they are 6-3 against the field in winning national titles. 14 total losses. How stupid is that?

Since losing the Big East championship game to #2 Notre Dame by 2 in 2013, they are 145-1. The one loss is to Stanford by 2 in OT, and all but two of the 145 wins are by double digits.

I miss the years of the Pat Summit coached UT teams vs. UConn. Toward the end, UConn seemed to have the upper hand, but there were some epic battles between Geno and Pat. Unfortunately, during that period, everybody else was an afterthought.

Hopefully, we can return to those days with MSU replacing Tennessee.

Tbonewannabe
02-10-2017, 05:40 PM
I don't follow Girls basketball very closely but does Geno basically get Calipari talent only he can coach them up also? It really helps if you basically get the best player at each position every year. That would be even more valuable with Girls basketball since they don't go pro early.

dogshiek
02-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Love Coach Vic's sign off! "Praise the Lord! Go Dogs!"

msstate7
02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I don't follow Girls basketball very closely but does Geno basically get Calipari talent only he can coach them up also? It really helps if you basically get the best player at each position every year. That would be even more valuable with Girls basketball since they don't go pro early.

I think cal can coach them too. Imagine if cal kept a class for 3-4 years together rather than 1... that's what geno can do