PDA

View Full Version : Mittatippi Tate Ain't Got No Talent*

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2017, 05:28 PM
With Spring practice beginning soon, we are entering into the time of the year where Mississippi State fans get told how they don't have any talent, the best player on our team is reported by the media as having no talent around him, & ultimately MSU is picked last in the SEC West because, you guessed it, they have no talent.

Just to gain a better understanding of whether or not this is true, I decided to research the recruiting rating of the players that are on our defense. We always hear about how Ole Miss has such great talent on offense & how much more talented they are than MSU, but we rarely hear anyone talk about defense. It must not be as sexy.

Well hear you go. The star level is listed to the right of the player in this order: 247, Scout, ESPN with the total number of 4 stars in each position group listed in the bottom right.

http://i.imgur.com/9gFUPfo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dN049ed.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3CUwbsh.jpg

So there we have it: There are 22 players on our defense in 2017 that had a 4 star rating by at least one service.

7 DBs, 9 DL, & 6 LBs

I realize we ain't Bama or LSU, but this seems pretty damn good to me. Grantham, Baker, English, & Buck got some dudes to work with

preachermatt83
02-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Good post

Commercecomet24
02-09-2017, 05:49 PM
With Spring practice beginning soon, we are entering into the time of the year where Mississippi State fans get told how they don't have any talent, the best player on our team is reported by the media as having no talent around him, & ultimately MSU is picked last in the SEC West because, you guessed it, they have no talent.

Just to gain a better understanding of whether or not this is true, I decided to research the recruiting rating of the players that are on our defense. We always hear about how Ole Miss has such great talent on offense & how much more talented they are than MSU, but we rarely hear anyone talk about defense. It must not be as sexy.

Well hear you go. The star level is listed to the right of the player in this order: 247, Scout, ESPN with the total number of 4 stars in each position group listed in the bottom right.

http://i.imgur.com/9gFUPfo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dN049ed.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3CUwbsh.jpg

So there we have it: There are 22 players on our defense in 2017 that had a 4 star rating by at least one service.

7 DBs, 9 DL, & 6 LBs

I realize we ain't Bama or LSU, but this seems pretty damn good to me. Grantham, Baker, English, & Buck got some dudes to work with

Man that's great research shotgun! Looks like Grantham got a lot to work with! I look for marked improvement this year! Thanks for the info!

QuadrupleOption
02-09-2017, 05:55 PM
BUT WE SUCK AND MULLEN SUCKS AND WE DON'T CROOT AND WE'RE GONNA LOSE ALL OUR GAMES AND MULLEN SUCKS AND HEVESY SUCKS TOO AND WE ARE TERRIBLE AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T SIGN GOOD PLAYERS EVEN THOUGH THIS BOARD HAS BEEN THE SOURCE OF ALL THE "MULLEN TO EVERYWHERE BUT MSU BECAUSE WE SUCK" RUMORS THE LAST THREE YEARS********************************************* ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *************

Reason2succeed
02-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Great post. I think everyone would be happier if we landed one 5 star every year or even every other year instead of only having one you would have three or four on the team at one time depending on if they left early for the NFL. That should be a goal of our recruiting. As it stands it seems we only get 5 stars when they are darn near born on campus.

Bothrops
02-09-2017, 06:41 PM
I thought Montez Sweat was a 4* on ESPN.

BB30
02-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Well, that is quite the conundrum. Our defense was terrible last year absolutely horid. Heck the Arkansas game we could have pulled 11 guys off of this site and been just about as terrible as they were that night.

I do agree there is some talent to work with I just hope the new DC and staff can get it figured out and put a decent product on the field this year.

ckDOG
02-09-2017, 06:45 PM
If this existed for every team, I think you'd find that we do pretty well at a national level, but when compared to our division opponents, well...

That said, I'm high on our defense going forward.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I thought Montez Sweat was a 4* on ESPN.

He was a 3 star out of high school. I can't find anything that calls him a 4 star. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Great post. I think everyone would be happier if we landed one 5 star every year or even every other year instead of only having one you would have three or four on the team at one time depending on if they left early for the NFL. That should be a goal of our recruiting. As it stands it seems we only get 5 stars when they are darn near born on campus.

Great post and I agree.

While going through this, I realized we live in the 88-92 range, and, while we have a ton of 4 stars, many of them are on the fence. However, this many 4 stars shows our "base talent level" is pretty good. What we really need, instead of 5 more 4 stars, is one or two 5 stars that are outright difference makers.

Our problem isn't so much depth as it is elite game changers.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2017, 06:51 PM
If this existed for every team, I think you'd find that we do pretty well at a national level, but when compared to our division opponents, well...

That said, I'm high on our defense going forward.

I bet we are better than Arkansas and OM in this regard. My guess is that the difference between us and Auburn, isn't very much except Auburn probably replaces some of our 4 stars with a few 5 stars that are game changers

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-09-2017, 06:57 PM
The thing that I'm most excited about next year will be going into a game and not wondering if our defense will know how to line up or where to be against an opponent. I'm confident that Grantham will have them in the right spots and call the right plays to have them in position to make plays. I'm not saying we will be able to make the play, but I'll be confident that our coaches will have them in a position to make the play. I didn't have that confidence this year.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
That should be a goal of our recruiting. As it stands it seems we only get 5 stars when they are darn near born on campus.

The mom would get suspended if she gave birth in the Hump. Just saying. **

bulldawg28
02-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Great post @shotgundawg.

GTHOM
02-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Good post Gun, but when are people going to understand that recruiting rankings are shit

Dolphus Raymond
02-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Great post backed up by facts.

RougeDawg
02-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Nice work. And we have the most talent on both sides of that ball than we ever have. It's just the typical lazy, ignorant media grabbing 1986's talking point for the 32nd year in an row and picking us last in the west. Rinse wash and repeat. F*ck the media. We have talent. Let's just hope last years defense was just growing pains of a scheme change.

The O will put up points and I fully expect a 2014 type performance from that group. Same things happened in 2016 as 2013. First year starter QB. Older less talented RB got majority carries early. Got hurt mid season, younger more talented RB gets more touches. Offense explodes and somehow the OLIne goes from garbage to above average. As much as I bashed Hevesy on the OLIne there is as much, if not more, blame on Mullen for Holloway making them look shitty. Just like 2013, perk made them look below average. Sub in JRob and they look like world beaters. Personnel decisions have been our biggest hangups and hurdles.

Dawg61
02-09-2017, 09:20 PM
BUT WE SUCK AND MULLEN SUCKS AND WE DON'T CROOT AND WE'RE GONNA LOSE ALL OUR GAMES AND MULLEN SUCKS AND HEVESY SUCKS TOO AND WE ARE TERRIBLE AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T SIGN GOOD PLAYERS EVEN THOUGH THIS BOARD HAS BEEN THE SOURCE OF ALL THE "MULLEN TO EVERYWHERE BUT MSU BECAUSE WE SUCK" RUMORS THE LAST THREE YEARS********************************************* ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *************

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/illK6U.gif

lamont
02-09-2017, 09:34 PM
The problem isnt that we dont have any talent on defense. We do. Totally agree we have more on D than UPig and OM. A&M plays D in spurts- we'll see what Chavis does in year 3.

Our problem is that we dont have an All-SEC type of player on offense except Fitz- and he has some hellacious competition in Hurts, Stidham, Eason, Allen, Bentley, and even Patterson considering their WR talent and number of OL returnees. This will be the best the SEC has been at QB in awhile.

Our OL will be middle of the pack at best
Our WR group is not top half of the SEC
We are solid at RB- but middle of the pack there considering what Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, UPig, and others have back there.

There's more optimism heading into 2017 than 2016- just alot of schedule to manage

Coackjek
02-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Facts? We don't need no stinkin facts?

DeviousDawg
02-09-2017, 10:24 PM
The problem isnt that we dont have any talent on defense. We do. Totally agree we have more on D than UPig and OM. A&M plays D in spurts- we'll see what Chavis does in year 3.

Our problem is that we dont have an All-SEC type of player on offense except Fitz- and he has some hellacious competition in Hurts, Stidham, Eason, Allen, Bentley, and even Patterson considering their WR talent and number of OL returnees. This will be the best the SEC has been at QB in awhile.

Our OL will be middle of the pack at best
Our WR group is not top half of the SEC
We are solid at RB- but middle of the pack there considering what Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, UPig, and others have back there.

There's more optimism heading into 2017 than 2016- just alot of schedule to manage

Everyone is still overlooking Martinas Rankin. When everyone was shitting on him at the beginning of last year I said watch, he will be a top 3 round pick in 2018. As of today, CBSsports has Rankin as the #2 Offensive Tackle in the 2018 draft. He will make an All-SEC team, and is definitely an All-SEC type player.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/deviousdawg/martinas%20rankin%20draft_zpswjbf2doq.png (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/deviousdawg/media/martinas%20rankin%20draft_zpswjbf2doq.png.html)

msstate7
02-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Everyone is still overlooking Martinas Rankin. When everyone was shitting on him at the beginning of last year I said watch, he will be a top 3 round pick in 2018. As of today, CBSsports has Rankin as the #2 Offensive Tackle in the 2018 draft. He will make an All-SEC team, and is definitely an All-SEC type player.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/deviousdawg/martinas%20rankin%20draft_zpswjbf2doq.png (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/deviousdawg/media/martinas%20rankin%20draft_zpswjbf2doq.png.html)

Nice.

lamont
02-09-2017, 10:53 PM
If he turns out to be that good- thats great. I just dont see him being the best OT in the SEC next year

bulldawg28
02-10-2017, 08:49 AM
If he turns out to be that good- thats great. I just dont see him being the best OT in the SEC next year

Here's a Iist of All SEC talent on offesense:

Fitz- no need to expound
Gibson- All SEC talent easily recognized
Williams- will be one the top backs in the conference
Rankin- once we started running the ball he turned on. Recognized by NFL scouts due to production. One of the in the SEC
Gray-will be in the top category for receiving this year, watch
Mixon- one of the most dangerous players in the SEC
Jenkins- Can do all, All SEC talent
Green-a stretch this year but he never drops the ball

lamont
02-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Here's a Iist of All SEC talent on offesense:

Fitz- no need to expound
Gibson- All SEC talent easily recognized
Williams- will be one the top backs in the conference
Rankin- once we started running the ball he turned on. Recognized by NFL scouts due to production. One of the in the SEC
Gray-will be in the top category for receiving this year, watch
Mixon- one of the most dangerous players in the SEC
Jenkins- Can do all, All SEC talent
Green-a stretch this year but he never drops the ball

Again- Fitz is good but so are 6 other SEC QB's

I like Williams but it's hard to put him ahead of Pettway, Guice, UPig Williams, Chubb, Michel, Scarbrough....A&M Williams went for a 1,000 and almost 7 ypc this year. Aeris is solid- but he won't be the All-SEC RB

Gibson is not an All-SEC talent at this point- he can't even get on the field hardly- end of story.

Rankin may have a shot- we'll see how the season plays out

Gray is not anywhere close to being a top 5 SEC WR.
Mixon is our next Holloway- just a little bigger and a little more talent. He will certainly make plays as he alternates with Dear. There is also talks of him getting some TB work- further limiting Gibson's touches.

Jenkins is solid- hopefully we find a way to keep him at LG. If he moves to RT- look for Rankin's effectiveness to drop

Green- solid player and I like our TE group. But not an All- SEC guy

bulldawg28
02-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Again- Fitz is good but so are 6 other SEC QB's

I like Williams but it's hard to put him ahead of Pettway, Guice, UPig Williams, Chubb, Michel, Scarbrough....A&M Williams went for a 1,000 and almost 7 ypc this year. Aeris is solid- but he won't be the All-SEC RB

Gibson is not an All-SEC talent at this point- he can't even get on the field hardly- end of story.

Rankin may have a shot- we'll see how the season plays out

Gray is not anywhere close to being a top 5 SEC WR.
Mixon is our next Holloway- just a little bigger and a little more talent. He will certainly make plays as he alternates with Dear. There is also talks of him getting some TB work- further limiting Gibson's touches.

Jenkins is solid- hopefully we find a way to keep him at LG. If he moves to RT- look for Rankin's effectiveness to drop

Green- solid player and I like our TE group. But not an All- SEC guy

Your way off.

oildawg
02-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Nice post - it's a great way to look at the talent we have.