PDA

View Full Version : What are you most excited to see in Spring football?

Reason2succeed
02-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Not even a full five days from live action football and I'm about to go crazy.

What are you most excited to see this Spring?

Fitz development?
Key in Mullen's offense?
Aeris' development?
Competition for X WR?
Defensive coaching unit that actually knows how to coach?
Playmakers step up on every level of the defense?

For me it's the X WR competition. I want to see Reggie Todd take a starting spot. We need him or someone else to step up there. Also, I want to see some young corners step up.

HoopsDawg
02-09-2017, 03:28 PM
The key players to me are Todd, Reese, and Eiland on offense.

On defense, everyone should be starting with a clean slate so hopefully we can identify our best 22. Really need to find a couple of corners. Lot of new names on the D-line, but enough talent that we should be fine there.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Wow, I didn't realize we are only 5 days away. Sheesh

For me:

1. Fitz's development. As we see with the Patriots every year, quality QB play makes others better. From Fitz, I want to see more touch & accuracy with the football. We blame Fred Ross for his drops last year, but many of those were difficult catches due to Fitz throwing medicine balls. Fitz has natural heaviness to his throws, kinda of like a sinker baller in baseball. It ain't easy to catch & I'd like to see him throw a more catchable ball.

2. Reggie Todd: Need a X receiver to Step up.

3. Montez Sweat & Chauncey Rivers: We won't know much about Abram, Cole, or Landrews till next season, but we should find how good of pass rushers Sweat & Rivers are this Spring. Would be huge if they show out.

4. RT competition: Just want to see someone emerge there.

5. Errol Thompson & his development at LB. Need to team Leo up with someone.

6. Keytaon Thompson: Want to see him against the speed of SEC competition. Will be fun to watch

7. I want to see a kicker emerge this Spring. Sure the Tucker kid we signed may turn out good, but I'd rather have some stability at that spot before the Fall

msstate7
02-09-2017, 03:37 PM
The key players to me are Todd, Reese, and Eiland on offense.

On defense, everyone should be starting with a clean slate so hopefully we can identify our best 22. Really need to find a couple of corners. Lot of new names on the D-line, but enough talent that we should be fine there.

Eiland is an interesting name to hear. You think he's potentially ready this year?

Daryl Williams and champion are two olinemen I'm really interested in

HoopsDawg
02-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Eiland is an interesting name to hear. You think he's potentially ready this year?

Eiland and Reese were consistently mentioned by the coaches for their scout team work. Eiland had a legit offer from UF. He is working at RT. On most teams, he probably wouldn't start, but he is one of the few Tackles we have on the roster. If he could somehow win the RT job, Jenkins could stay at LG.

HoopsDawg
02-09-2017, 03:43 PM

As for Champion, he is a big, mean dude. Apparently he didn't give up a sack in 2 years of Juco. I had high hopes of him starting at RG this year, but Random has buzz-killed those hopes. My expectations on Williams are very low coming off the neck injury.

Prentis
02-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Nick Gibson, Alec Murphy, Dontavian Lee. I want to see which one of these three backs will step up.

confucius say
02-09-2017, 04:00 PM
When does spring practice start? (I took OP's 5 day comment to mean it's been five days since super bowl)

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-09-2017, 04:11 PM
My guess at the OL

LT - Martinas Rankin Sr.
LG - Elgton Jenkins Jr.
C - Deion Calhoun Jr.
RG - Tyre Phillips Jr.
RT - Tommy Champion Jr.

Daryl Williams and Michael Story as backup guards
Harrison Moon and Greg Eiland as backup at either OT

Mjoelner34
02-09-2017, 04:11 PM
1. Improved tackling by the D. No more of this using only an arm or shoulder or trying to knock sombody off of their feet hawk-tackling horse shit! Facemask in the chest, arms around the back and legs driving.

2. Defense learning the overall scheme along with pre-snap adjustments and learning to trust each other to do their own job.

3. Fitz developing touch on passes.

4. A second team RB stepping up and pushing Williams for PT.

5. This won't come about until the fall but: A kicker we can say doesn't miss in games instead of hearing "He never misses in practice."

HoopsDawg
02-09-2017, 04:27 PM
My guess at the OL

LT - Martinas Rankin Sr.
LG - Elgton Jenkins Jr.
C - Deion Calhoun Jr.
RG - Tyre Phillips Jr.
RT - Tommy Champion Jr.

Not going to happen. Champion is not a tackle and Phillips is more likely to redshirt than to start.

starkvegasdawg
02-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Some kind, any kind of improvement on defense. I don't want our secondary to need binoculars to see the player with the ball.

lamont
02-09-2017, 04:50 PM
My guess at the OL

LT - Martinas Rankin Sr.
LG - Elgton Jenkins Jr.
C - Deion Calhoun Jr.
RG - Tyre Phillips Jr.
RT - Tommy Champion Jr.

if Phillips starts for us we wont win more than 6...No way Champion plays OT- he got absolutely worn out in juco there and got moved inside. I'm most interested in OL and WR.

BeastMan
02-09-2017, 05:21 PM
The fact that I don't see Peter Sirmon

RougeDawg
02-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Fewer members of the CC holding a whistle in their hands. That alone should improve our performance.

Homedawg
02-09-2017, 05:27 PM
if Phillips starts for us we wont win more than 6...No way Champion plays OT- he got absolutely worn out in juco there and got moved inside. I'm most interested in OL and WR.

For sure one of them gets redshirted......

Todd4State
02-09-2017, 05:35 PM
For sure one of them gets redshirted......

If not both. Actually that would be my guess unless Phillips progresses very quickly.

FISHDAWG
02-09-2017, 05:40 PM
I know what I DON'T want to see .... us trying to run a 3-4

Ari Gold
02-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Nick Gibson, Alec Murphy, Dontavian Lee. I want to see which one of these three backs will step up.

Better question will be which one of these 3 won't be listed as RB or listed at all on the fall roster.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Better just skip over spring practice & the season then.

Ari Gold
02-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Todd , Mitchell, Couch .. who from this group takes that next step
Dantzler if he is going to be as good as we keep hearing
The OL.. Rankin Calhoun Jenkins .. who are the next 2 and can we keep Jenkins at Guard
The TE.. Lots of bodies and talent who comes out 1,2 and 3.

And who isn't back for the spring and then who doesn't make it to the summer. I still think a little more attrition occurs.

FISHDAWG
02-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Better just skip over spring practice & the season then.

I knew that was your idea all along Dan ... and all the time I've been blaming Sirmon for it

BB30
02-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Well be ready to be disappointed ha. Hopefully we quit trying and actually "do". I think the personnel is there to have some success with it if some of our JUCO guys step up immediately. Looking at it on paper we have a bunch of talented guys or "thought to be" talented guys they just have to step up and perform.

I'm going to be interested in our OL and our DBs. It is always hard to tell who or where we are progressing the most in the spring. Also, will be refreshing to see some of the new faces in the backfield toting the ball. Aeris has obviously put himself ahead of everybody else but someone out of the younger guys will have to step up.

I actually think we will be ok at WR, not great but not terrible by any means. Especially if Todd can step in and be a factor. I think next season will hinge on how quick our OL gels and how well they play. We know what we are going to get out of Fitz and Aeris. We have a decent group of WRs but our OL is going to have to play well and not just figure it out towards the end of the season. And, obviously we have to improve defensively, fortunately that should not be very hard as they were atrocious as a unit last year.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-09-2017, 07:00 PM
You guys are micro managers. What I want to see is for Mullen's catch words to come true: relentless effort, hard work, smart play, mental toughness, etc. I don't care if you're the water boy or the QB, this attitude should be pervasive throughout the program,

I want to see physicality on both sides of the ball. Knock the socks off type play. A swarming ball-hawking defense, good tackling technique. If you have these things, it can compensate a lot for missing talent. With talent it is unstoppable. See Bama & Clemson.

lamont
02-09-2017, 08:16 PM
We just hired a noted 3-4 guy. We are officially a 3-4 defensive team now

Dawgowar
02-09-2017, 08:33 PM
I want to see

1. No significant injuries
2. No epic message board meltdowns that the 'scheme is not working' - offense, defense, ST
3. No meltdowns that we suck
4. No rainbow and unicorn rants that we are a lock for the playoffs
5. Kickers that can hit beyond the 30...okay, the 25 yard line on either hash...consistently extra points and 33 yarders with the winds at their backs...just a compentant kicker of fg's.
6. WR's catch the ball.
7. In the name of Jack Kristol, John Bond, and Will Clark - could we trade our band for a Scottish Bagpipe and Drum Corps?
8. A long, long, looooong list of TSUN Level I violations from the Second NOA on the Jumbotron
9. That the defense has discovered the long lost art of tackling
10. Nobody bitches about the concessions

smootness
02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Keytaon Thompson in the spring game. That's it for me.

IMissJack
02-09-2017, 08:48 PM
An attacking D and no injuries.

msstate7
02-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Where Gerri green, sweat, Myles, and landrews are lining up

Todd4State
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
I want to see:

QB's- Fitz progress and Key get his feet wet.

RB's- If we move Lee to H-Back and use him like we used Nick Griffen. I think he could be a beast for us in a role position.

WR's- Couch and Todd. Move Gray to the slot.

TE's- Progress from Green, Johnson and see how Dontae Jones looks.

OL- Michael Story was hurt in bowl practices. Does he get a look at center. RT? I think Eiland could be good there. He could potentially have a veteran in Calhoun playing on one side of him and a TE on the other. Does Jordan Thomas get a look on the o-line?

Defense- I want to see Grantham's defense in action.

DL- See how the JUCO's progress. Keep Simmons at NT or move him to DE? Does Gerri Green move to DE?

LB's- Sort of like above- how do we use Gerri Green? Where do Jung and JT Gray fit in?

CB's- I want to see how Peters progresses

S's- I want to see the JUCO's and if English kills Bryant for loafing.

K/P's- Who is the new kicker? Brad Wall? Tucker Day? Someone else?

KR/PR- Who do we use with Mixon to replace Holloway? Dear? Deddrick Thomas? Gray?

Reason2succeed
02-09-2017, 09:50 PM
I want to see

1. No significant injuries
2. No epic message board meltdowns that the 'scheme is not working' - offense, defense, ST
3. No meltdowns that we suck
4. No rainbow and unicorn rants that we are a lock for the playoffs
5. Kickers that can hit beyond the 30...okay, the 25 yard line on either hash...consistently extra points and 33 yarders with the winds at their backs...just a compentant kicker of fg's.
6. WR's catch the ball.
7. In the name of Jack Kristol, John Bond, and Will Clark - could we trade our band for a Scottish Bagpipe and Drum Corps?
8. A long, long, looooong list of TSUN Level I violations from the Second NOA on the Jumbotron
9. That the defense has discovered the long lost art of tackling
10. Nobody bitches about the concessions

I love your list...especially #8.

Dawgowar
02-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I love your list...especially #8.

Thank you
'And 11. Megan, please do not let Dan wear shorts - they create strife.

dawgday166
02-09-2017, 11:03 PM
You guys are micro managers. What I want to see is for Mullen's catch words to come true: relentless effort, hard work, smart play, mental toughness, etc. I don't care if you're the water boy or the QB, this attitude should be pervasive throughout the program,

I want to see physicality on both sides of the ball. Knock the socks off type play. A swarming ball-hawking defense, good tackling technique. If you have these things, it can compensate a lot for missing talent. With talent it is unstoppable. See Bama & Clemson.

This sums it up quite nicely.

dotcomdawg
02-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Strain

dawgday166
02-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Relentless Strain

FIFY.

shrimp
02-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Was there any truth to the rumor about the coaches asking Murphy to move to LB?

Better question will be which one of these 3 won't be listed as RB or listed at all on the fall roster.

shrimp
02-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Relentless Strain Juice!

FIFY.

Reason2succeed
02-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Relentless Strain Juice!

If we start hearing about "Relentless Strain Juice" I'm going to go ahead and buy my plane ticket to the NC!***

They also need to name our defense the Post Traumatized by Sirmon Defense (PTSD for short) because we know that when we have slogans and nicknames for units based on mental issues we do well.***

fader2103
02-10-2017, 08:54 AM
I wanna see Boobie actually catch a ball in the spring game this year!

thf24
02-10-2017, 09:14 AM

There's a night and day difference between the 3-4 we attempted to run last year and the 3-4 that we'll run this year. I also think it'll become apparent fairly early that our mostly inept defense last year had more to do with Sirmon having no business being a P5 DC than anything.

BigEasyDawg
02-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Obviously we need to the D get more comfortable with the scheme

But I am most excited to see is the development of Fitz. Dak had that trait of making the team better around him, and if Fitz can continue to take hold of his leadership role and become a better passer, then we are off to the races boys.

Just imagine if Dan develops Fitz into a NFL QB by the time its over. We will become QBU.

Johnson85
02-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Todd , Mitchell, Couch .. who from this group takes that next step
Dantzler if he is going to be as good as we keep hearing
The OL.. Rankin Calhoun Jenkins .. who are the next 2 and can we keep Jenkins at Guard
The TE.. Lots of bodies and talent who comes out 1,2 and 3.

And who isn't back for the spring and then who doesn't make it to the summer. I still think a little more attrition occurs.

That's it for me. We have a wide receiver step up on the outside and have two OL emerge, and we can be really good on offense. The next thing after that I'd look for is Fitz having a little more accuracy, especially on deep throws.

On D, need the JUCO DL to be ready and need a CB to emerge other than Peters. Think we are ok otherwise.

Harrydawg
02-11-2017, 05:43 AM

I heard Steve mention somewhere that Murphy may find himself on defense......

CadaverDawg
02-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Top 5 things I'm looking for...

1. Defense (it wins Championships)
2. WRs (who emerges with Gray)
3. Defense (we were soft as baby shit last year)
4. Defense (I hate Peter Sirmon)
5. Defense (please be so much better)

WSOPdawg
02-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Top 5 things I'm looking for...

1. Defense (it wins Championships)
2. WRs (who emerges with Gray)
3. Defense (we were soft as baby shit last year)
4. Defense (I hate Peter Sirmon)
5. Defense (please be so much better)

Agree except I'd replace #2 with DEFENSE (because Mullen will always field an offensive unit capable of scoring points, we gotta learn to stop the other team).

msbulldog
02-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Agree except I'd replace #2 with DEFENSE (because Mullen will always field an offensive unit capable of scoring points, we gotta learn to stop the other team).

^^^agree!

defiantdog
02-11-2017, 11:40 AM

I seriously doubt Lee plays on offense. He'll switch sides like Shump should have done.

msstate7
02-11-2017, 11:45 AM
I seriously doubt Lee plays on offense. He'll switch sides like Shump should have done.

Lee and Murphy potentially switching to defense?

dawgday166
02-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Well ... lessee

USA - 20
LSU - 20
Aub - 14
BYU - 21 in overtime
Bama - 3
Miami (Ohio) - 17

Yep ... you're right. Mullen's offense is always a juggernaut ***

msstate7
02-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Well ... lessee

USA - 20
LSU - 20
Aub - 14
BYU - 21 in overtime
Bama - 3
Miami (Ohio) - 17

The only 1 in that group that concerns me is the Miami game. Fitz was still settling in those first 4 games. We don't score vs bama

Little note of interest... all but USA we're top 31 scoring defenses nationally.

1. Bama
5. Lsu
6. Auburn
14. Byu
31. Miami (Ohio)... tied with our new DC (Louisville)

WSOPdawg
02-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Well ... lessee

USA - 20 (allowing USA to score 21... doh!!!)
LSU - 20 (allowing LSU to score 23... double doh!!!)
Aub - 14 (allowing Aub to score 38... WTH!!!)
BYU - 21 in DOUBLE overtime (allowing BYU to score 28... damn!!!)
Bama - 3 (allowing Bama to score 51 17'n points!!!)
Miami (Ohio) - 17

Damn, I knew someone was gonna go there. >-<

Let's also remember we gave up 38 to Auby, 35 to UMass, 40 to UK, 41 to Samford (of all teams!!!), 58 to Arky and 51 Bama.

In general, we're not near as inept offensively with Mullen as we were pre-Mullen. Iwant us to get back to where the D keeps us in games and gives us a chance.

dawgday166
02-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Damn, I knew someone was gonna go there. >-<

Let's also remember we gave up 38 to Auby, 35 to UMass, 40 to UK, 41 to Samford (of all teams!!!), 58 to Arky and 51 Bama.

In general, we're not near as inept offensively with Mullen as we were pre-Mullen. Iwant us to get back to where the D keeps us in games and gives us a chance.

Not arguing that we've been better offensively since Mullen has been here. Just saying that it's a 2-way street. The D isn't always to blame for a loss. Last year's D was very bad, but the offense wasn't that great either, especially in the 1st 6 games.

We need to improve in every aspect of the game (defense, offense, special teams, game prep, hurry-up offense, etc), and by a good bit too.

ETA: And I remember how many points we gave up against some teams. Also saying Dan isn't a god and his offense underwhelms me quite often considering his rep as an offensive guru.

WSOPdawg
02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Not arguing that we've been better offensively since Mullen has been here. Just saying that it's a 2-way street. The D isn't always to blame for a loss. Last year's D was very bad, but the offense wasn't that great either, especially in the 1st 6 games.

We need to improve in every aspect of the game (defense, offense, special teams, game prep, hurry-up offense, etc), and by a good bit too.

ETA: And I remember how many points we gave up against some teams. Also saying Dan isn't a god and his offense underwhelms me quite often considering his rep as an offensive guru.

Imo, Dan's still got a "conservative" nature about him when the game hits the 2nd half (and particularyly the 4th qtr).

blacklistedbully
02-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Wow, I didn't realize we are only 5 days away. Sheesh

For me:

1. Fitz's development. As we see with the Patriots every year, quality QB play makes others better. From Fitz, I want to see more touch & accuracy with the football. We blame Fred Ross for his drops last year, but many of those were difficult catches due to Fitz throwing medicine balls. Fitz has natural heaviness to his throws, kinda of like a sinker baller in baseball. It ain't easy to catch & I'd like to see him throw a more catchable ball.

WTH?? No problem with anything else you said, but this is laughable. No such thing as a, "heavy ball" effect in football. The most you can legitimately say about touch is whether the ball is thrown too hard, too soft, accurately or inaccurately. You can talk about a QB "putting too much air" under it, which kinda goes hand-in-hand with too soft, but footballs are not subject to any sinking action, etc.

While the seams on a baseball can be used to create a "heavy ball" effect, the seams/laces and rotation of a football offer no such manipulation. All the seams/laces on a football can do is affect how tight a spiral the QB can throw, which can impact accuracy and distance.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Easy Answer: Defense coaching