PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season 2017

BB30
02-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Figured we could get a thread going for the upcoming turkey season. What are the expectations in your area? What are the birds doing? and what is the Gobbling activity like?

I hunt around Noxubee country toward the tombigbee. We already have strutters on camera and it seems that winter flocks are starting to break up some. It is still early but I will probably be out listening the end of next week more for my enjoyment than having any expectations of hearing any on a regular basis yet.

BulldogBear
02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Considering these two walked up on me at the farm about a month ago, I'm feeling pretty good.

LandDawg
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
I hunt Choctaw Co, Holmes Co and Yazoo. Early springs have led to my best seasons. Started turkey hunting in 2012, which was extremely early bloom. Thought I was a master of the woods because I killed 2 in first 3 solo hunts. I have since been humbled. Have been Taught plenty of lessons, which has made me a better caller and hunter. 2015 was another early spring and maybe my best yr yet.

BB30
02-10-2017, 02:29 PM
I hunt Choctaw Co, Holmes Co and Yazoo. Early springs have led to my best seasons. Started turkey hunting in 2012, which was extremely early bloom. Thought I was a master of the woods because I killed 2 in first 3 solo hunts. I have since been humbled. Have been Taught plenty of lessons, which has made me a better caller and hunter. 2015 was another early spring and maybe my best yr yet.

Ha ha they have a way of humbling all of us. I wouldn't want it any different. The longer you hunt them it is the birds that have the innate instinct to do exactly what you don't expect them too that will stick with you. I have had several that have stuck with me and am currently dealing with a stubborn one. This year will be year 3 of hunting the same bird, I have missed him twice and got to a point last season when I would just walk past him if there were other birds willing to play the game that day. It is as if he has a halo around him. I was worried he hadn't made it through to season and finally saw him last weekend alive and well.

As for the two misses, I missed him on opening day two years ago at about 20 yds as I managed to kill a nice sapling that I didn't see. Then, I managed to miss him on the last day of the season last year at 30 yds and I still am not sure what happened other then I just blanked. He would always roost within a couple hundred yards of the same place and would gobble once on the limb and once on the ground and that was it for the majority of the day. I missed him at 12 on opening day 2 years ago and missed him at 2:30 last year both times he looped behind and I didn't have a clue he was there until he started drumming. I have gotten to where I will find a couple of nice 2 YOs that are ready and willing and fool with him when there is no other game in town for the day. I'm sure I will get taught a few more lessons this season from him. The unique thing about this bird is he has white almost wing tipped looking colors in the middle of his fan. If I do get another opportunity to harvest him it will almost be hard to pull the trigger with the history I have with him. One of my favorite quotes is by Ben Rodgers Lee " If I could breath life back into him I would hunt him again tomorrow".

Also, If any of yall live in the Starkville area and have a youth you would like to take let me know and we can get together for a hunt I am always looking for a chance to get in the woods early and we have plenty of birds to hunt.

LandDawg
02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
I know what you mean about a stubborn bird. This will be my 1st year to really battle with a bird that gave me fits the year before. He occasionally uses one side of my property, but spends 3/4 of his time on my neighbor. Made him difficult to hunt. Finally got permission to hunt my neighbor last weekend of season last year. We battled 3 straight days morning and afternoon, but he walked away the winner. He will be hard to leave for another bird when I hunt that property. Luckily I have other places to hunt.

Your quote "I missed him at 12 on opening day 2 years ago and missed him at 2:30 last year" reminds me of the best lesson Ive learned so far. Middle of the day is prime. In 5 years of hunting Ive killed 10 birds...5 of those were killed 10:30-2:30

Ben Rodgers Lee " If I could breath life back into him I would hunt him again tomorrow". This is a great quote. If it wasnt for the deliciousness of wild turkey, I would probably shoot most with my camera.

BB30
02-13-2017, 10:03 AM
I know what you mean about a stubborn bird. This will be my 1st year to really battle with a bird that gave me fits the year before. He occasionally uses one side of my property, but spends 3/4 of his time on my neighbor. Made him difficult to hunt. Finally got permission to hunt my neighbor last weekend of season last year. We battled 3 straight days morning and afternoon, but he walked away the winner. He will be hard to leave for another bird when I hunt that property. Luckily I have other places to hunt.

Your quote "I missed him at 12 on opening day 2 years ago and missed him at 2:30 last year" reminds me of the best lesson Ive learned so far. Middle of the day is prime. In 5 years of hunting Ive killed 10 birds...5 of those were killed 10:30-2:30

Ben Rodgers Lee " If I could breath life back into him I would hunt him again tomorrow". This is a great quote. If it wasnt for the deliciousness of wild turkey, I would probably shoot most with my camera.

Yep, middle of the day has usually been when I have had most of my success. And I know what you mean, definitely my favorite wild game to eat.

starkvegasdawg
02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
I hunt Choctaw county and will be interesting to see what they are like this year. 20 years ago you could go out on that property at high noon and fart and one would gobble. But, 1997 came and we had a lot of timber cut on the property and then replanted in pine. All of a sudden all of our open pastures were gone as well as a lot of hardwood. The pines are now up to a size where they are killing out the understory and things are opening back up. I'm hoping that will slowly get them back on our property on a regular basis. I haven't shot one in several years now. My shoulder has almost forgotten what the kick of a 3 1/2" magnum turkey load feels like. Almost.

LandDawg
02-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Good luck. The place I hunt in Choctaw Co has about 250 acres of 18 yr old PP. Turkeys use it like crazy during winter up until green up, when the understory thickens up. Ive got a group of 9 longbeards running together as of last Sat. I expect them to split up shortly and all leave for the surrounding hardwoods. I have noticed the last 2 season, 1 or 2 have hung around after green up. The understory is thinning, but we could really use a fire run through it.

Westdawg
02-15-2017, 11:03 PM
All you guys hunting Choctaw County is probably why I can't find a dang bird anymore , lol.
We grew up there and have a lot of family still living there who th good bit of land. But the past couple years since I have been back in MS, I haven't seen a gobbler, much less heard one. It's strange, because there are places that I could go and kill one any day of the week. But not for a while now. And we have maintained property well - at least in terms of what's usually needed for turkey hunting. I am really hoping that this fall's mast crop and nice start to early summer will help this spring.....but the drought the past two years' summers combined with the horrible wet springs may be too much to overcome.

trob115
02-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Good luck. The place I hunt in Choctaw Co has about 250 acres of 18 yr old PP. Turkeys use it like crazy during winter up until green up, when the understory thickens up. Ive got a group of 9 longbeards running together as of last Sat. I expect them to split up shortly and all leave for the surrounding hardwoods. I have noticed the last 2 season, 1 or 2 have hung around after green up. The understory is thinning, but we could really use a fire run through it.

If you need someone to burn your place , let me know. I'll be glad to give you a quote.

trob115
02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
If anyone has any place to turkey hunt in the golden triangle area, I'd be glad to take you. I love to turkey hunt, but I try to avoid the public woods if possible.

BB30
02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Went and listened at the farm this morning and heard 3 birds. One of them was hammering it this morning.

LandDawg
02-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks but this is large timber company land.

BB30
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Anyone have any youth getting out later this week/weekend? Birds gobbled pretty good this past weekend, if weather cooperates should be a pretty good start for the kiddos.

TUSK
03-10-2017, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I gotta get my turkey trot lines out....

BB30
03-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Got my Pastor's son his first long beard Saturday. Was a great morning had several birds gobbling on the limb. Went quiet when they hit the ground. At 7:15 had a bird gobble to our right at about 100 yards. Yelped and he cut us off. 30 seconds later we had two in our laps at 15 yards and he was able to harvest his first bird. Was a great morning, excited to get back after them this weekend.

BB30
03-13-2017, 08:57 AM

GTHOM
03-14-2017, 12:37 AM
I've been hunting turkeys since my dad took me when I was 8 years old. Nothing in this world beats it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to hunt Hinds, Yazoo, and Holmes county. I went and listened last Saturday heard 2. In my experience early springs have been better seasons. I've got one I hunted all year last year and on pictures this year. He got to 70 yards on me several times last year never gave me a shot. Hopefully it happens this year. Good luck fellas, thank the Lord for these birds

Duckdog
03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Got busted by two birds saturday and my oldest boy missed one at 20 steps sunday. These are public land birds and weren't jakes. You would have thought someone shot his mama he was so sad. Oh well I;ll get him on another one

GTHOM
03-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Anybody going in the morning? Think this cool weather might fire them up pretty good

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Good luck to you MS peps tom. We still have a couple wks in TN..

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Birds had started getting hot here until this dang snow hit.. Aint been this cold since December. Most of Jan e had to deal with frogs while duck hunting... Makes me sick...

BB30
03-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Anybody going in the morning? Think this cool weather might fire them up pretty good

Unfortunately work is getting in the way in the morning. I am going to go listen in the am and try and figure out something for the weekend.

GTHOM
03-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Had 3 hammering on it this morning. Henned up pretty good had at least 8 hens with them that I saw

BB30
03-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Anyone had a chance to get after them yet. Work is unfortunately getting in the way. Listened yesterday and today before work and they gobbled alright on the limb.

GTHOM
03-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Anyone had a chance to get after them yet. Work is unfortunately getting in the way. Listened yesterday and today before work and they gobbled alright on the limb.

I've been yesterday and today, 3 longbeards and a jake all henned up bad

Duckdog
03-17-2017, 02:26 PM
had taken today off to go but woke up sick as a dog. i got dressed and all but just couldn't do it

GTHOM
03-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Hunted a group of 3 longbeards, 1 jake and 8-10 hens since wednesday. Heard one gobble late yesterday afternoon. Hit the woods near where I heard him yesterday this morning and dont hear a peep. These birds will drive you crazy

BB30
03-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Yep, same issues here. Henned up bad right now.

LandDawg
03-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Finally got in the woods Sat and Sun morning. Bad weather Sat. Heard 1 bird Gobble 5 times. Sunday was the best weather you could ask for turkey hunting. Listened to 4 birds gobbling on the neighbors place. He was calling to them with no success. Not sure how many, but There were definitely some hens roosted among the gobblers. After listening to this go on until 730, I left to make my normal trek around our place. 5 mins after beginning my trek, I heard a Gobble in the direction I was headed. Set up and it was over 10 minutes later. It was a solo gobbler who I believe was heading to check out all the commotion. He had not gobbled all morning to my knowledge. Sometimes it takes all day and other times it takes mere minutes. Craw was slam full of fresh acorns.

GTHOM
03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Finally got in the woods Sat and Sun morning. Bad weather Sat. Heard 1 bird Gobble 5 times. Sunday was the best weather you could ask for turkey hunting. Listened to 4 birds gobbling on the neighbors place. He was calling to them with no success. Not sure how many, but There were definitely some hens roosted among the gobblers. After listening to this go on until 730, I left to make my normal trek around our place. 5 mins after beginning my trek, I heard a Gobble in the direction I was headed. Set up and it was over 10 minutes later. It was a solo gobbler who I believe was heading to check out all the commotion. He had not gobbled all morning to my knowledge. Sometimes it takes all day and other times it takes mere minutes. Craw was slam full of fresh acorns.

Congrats man

LandDawg
03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Thanks. 19lbs one of heaviest I've ever killed.

BB30
03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Congrats!

BB30
03-24-2017, 04:39 PM
I have now had my butt handed to me by the same bird 4 times this season. Fortunately his hens are starting to peel off and leave him. I have managed to get him to good lookin range bad shootin range 3 times now. One was just a bad set on my part with some thick stuff between us the other two times hens have intercepted him on his way. Going to give it a shot again tomorrow morning if the bad storms will hold off just a bit.

GTHOM
03-24-2017, 07:32 PM
I have now had my butt handed to me by the same bird 4 times this season. Fortunately his hens are starting to peel off and leave him. I have managed to get him to good lookin range bad shootin range 3 times now. One was just a bad set on my part with some thick stuff between us the other two times hens have intercepted him on his way. Going to give it a shot again tomorrow morning if the bad storms will hold off just a bit.

What time is it supposed to be here? I didnt go this morning cause when I woke up at 4:30 the wind was blowing 9000000 mph.

GTHOM
03-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Finally got it done this morning with my brother and Dad. My brother got the shot but still just as thankful. Have no idea how to add pictures or I would haha. 2 year old bird 8 inch beard both spurs 3/4 inch

BB30
03-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Congrats that is great. Had an opportunity Saturday mid morning after the rain passed. Was working a gobbler and he had got to about 70 yards when 4 2 year olds came from my right and ran him off. The 2 yr olds didn't stick around either and never provided a good shot opportunity. Hoping for some better weather this weekend.

GTHOM
03-29-2017, 12:27 AM
Congrats that is great. Had an opportunity Saturday mid morning after the rain passed. Was working a gobbler and he had got to about 70 yards when 4 2 year olds came from my right and ran him off. The 2 yr olds didn't stick around either and never provided a good shot opportunity. Hoping for some better weather this weekend.

Its supposed to be good Sat and Sun mornings chance of rain on monday

LandDawg
03-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Congrats GTHOM. Always exciting watch a one meet his maker, no matter if shooting or not.

I was able to get another bird Wednesday morning. Went to my normal starting spot even though I had expectations to move. First 2 gobbles are jakes, which I judge to be about 150-200 yards due North on edge of cutover. 10 minutes of silence and then a good gobble, but well off in distance. Immediately following is 2 good, hard gobbles from same place as jakes. Gave them a few tree yelps and they were fired up. About 10 mins later, the jakes and hens fly down about 100 yards SE from me. The gobblers pitched down just below their trees. Live hen makes one assembly call. I cut her off with more aggression and thats when the gobblers committed. Took them about 5 minutes to close the 150 yards. They put on a show gobbling/strutting coming through the hardwoods. Ended up being 2 gobblers, 3 jakes and 2 hens roosted right next to cutover. 10 in beard and 7/8 in spurs.

GTHOM
03-31-2017, 01:27 AM
Congrats GTHOM. Always exciting watch a one meet his maker, no matter if shooting or not.

I was able to get another bird Wednesday morning. Went to my normal starting spot even though I had expectations to move. First 2 gobbles are jakes, which I judge to be about 150-200 yards due North on edge of cutover. 10 minutes of silence and then a good gobble, but well off in distance. Immediately following is 2 good, hard gobbles from same place as jakes. Gave them a few tree yelps and they were fired up. About 10 mins later, the jakes and hens fly down about 100 yards SE from me. The gobblers pitched down just below their trees. Live hen makes one assembly call. I cut her off with more aggression and thats when the gobblers committed. Took them about 5 minutes to close the 150 yards. They put on a show gobbling/strutting coming through the hardwoods. Ended up being 2 gobblers, 3 jakes and 2 hens roosted right next to cutover. 10 in beard and 7/8 in spurs.

Sounds like you've got it figured out man! Congrats again haha

LandDawg
03-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Sounds like you've got it figured out man! Congrats again haha

Thanks. Haha I may sound like I have it figured out, but i really just have 2 great spots. Ive really worked on my calling the past few years, but knowing the woods i hunt, like the back of my hand, is why i have success.

For you guys that turkey hunt and hunt/fish other game, whats your favorite? Ive hunted deer, duck, dove ever since I can remember. I only picked up turkey hunting 6 years ago, but I wouldnt trade it for any other hunting. If i had to give up all hunting except 1, i would keep turkey.

trob115
04-01-2017, 11:43 AM
turkey > every other hunting for me.

I mananged to kill an old gobbler this morning. I've had a blast hunting him this year , and glad to finally win the round. I wish I could do it all over again tomorrow.

GTHOM
04-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks. Haha I may sound like I have it figured out, but i really just have 2 great spots. Ive really worked on my calling the past few years, but knowing the woods i hunt, like the back of my hand, is why i have success.

For you guys that turkey hunt and hunt/fish other game, whats your favorite? Ive hunted deer, duck, dove ever since I can remember. I only picked up turkey hunting 6 years ago, but I wouldnt trade it for any other hunting. If i had to give up all hunting except 1, i would keep turkey.

Turkey and its not even close

Spiderman
04-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Finally struck this morning about 10. Like a TV hunt... watched him strut for 15 mins before he came to the decoys and got in range.

1 1/8th and 1 1/16th spurs.

Best hunt ever.
https://s7.postimg.org/g8bct24nf/IMG_5113.jpg

BB30
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Congrats Spider nice bird. Weekend weather is looking terrific. Good luck to everyone chasing them. Will be great weekend between Turkeys and SBW.

GTHOM
04-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Gobbling has slowed down for me. Anyone else getting the same? Talked to a MDWFP turkey biologist the other day he said gobbling was down where he worked this year (Pearl River WMA) I figured that because of the flood

LandDawg
04-09-2017, 04:41 AM
Nice bird spider.

Duckdog
04-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Gobbling has slowed down for me. Anyone else getting the same? Talked to a MDWFP turkey biologist the other day he said gobbling was down where he worked this year (Pearl River WMA) I figured that because of the flood

Theyve got lock jaw for the last two days

trob115
04-12-2017, 09:39 AM
I killed my biggest turkey ever yesterday. He had 11 1/4" beard and 1 5/8" spurs on both sides.

LandDawg
04-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Trob....congrats on a huge bird. Don't hear of spurs that long very often! Post some pics of those hooks