PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball is a joke

Choctaw Dawg
02-07-2017, 11:18 PM
This is becoming more and more dumb as the seasons go along and is losing viewership. NCAA better change some damn rules if it wants a quality product because tonight is a damn shame if you are an avid basketball fan as I am.

missouridawg
02-07-2017, 11:19 PM
These last few game minutes have been comical.

Choctaw Dawg
02-07-2017, 11:20 PM
These last few game minutes have been comical.

I mean come on, the last 2 minutes lasted 20 minutes alone.

confucius say
02-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes

Choctaw Dawg
02-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes

i posted that comment with like thirty seconds left, 10 minutes ago, lol

MetEdDawg
02-07-2017, 11:33 PM
For those of you playing at home, 51 fouls tonight. Obviously that was inflated due to our predicament, but that's still a ton of fouls. Worst part was that 51 fouls was still lower than the 54 I believe we're called in the UK game.

confucius say
02-07-2017, 11:37 PM
For those of you playing at home, 51 fouls tonight. Obviously that was inflated due to our predicament, but that's still a ton of fouls. Worst part was that 51 fouls was still lower than the 54 I believe we're called in the UK game.

If it's going to be officiated this way the bonus and double bonus should be raised from 7/10 to 9/12

starkvegasdawg
02-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Not just the number of fouls called. It's the abject incompetence of the officials. There's a clip making the rounds on twitter of Kegler being pushed twice and then the foul is called on him. This is at midcourt in wide open view.

Bdawg
02-08-2017, 12:09 AM
Not just the number of fouls called. It's the abject incompetence of the officials. There's a clip making the rounds on twitter of Kegler being pushed twice and then the foul is called on him. This is at midcourt in wide open view.

Yep. I retweeted it. Kegler stood there and the guy moved into him twice and Kegler got nailed. Pathetic

Dawgface
02-08-2017, 09:04 AM
I'd just as soon watch a 30 min infomercial than the last 2 min of a bb game.

gtowndawg
02-08-2017, 09:09 AM

I saw it. And the ref is in frame looking right at them. It's not like he just missed it and saw out of the corner of his eye. It's terrible.

BB30
02-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Like watching paint dry. Can someone remind me why they went with the rules change and why they can't just back off a tad and meet in the middle as far as fouls go? I have tried to get back into watching college basketball again, I never really quit watching our games but as a whole I lost interest. I am struggling to get back into it. It is not just our games. Ours seem to be worse but they all are slow. There is absolutely zero rhythm now. If there are 4-6 trips up and down the court without a foul called it is a miracle.

JoseBrown
02-08-2017, 09:28 AM
If it's going to be officiated this way the bonus and double bonus should be raised from 7/10 to 9/12

Not only that, but individual fouls allowed should increase to 6.

BB30
02-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Not only that, but individual fouls allowed should increase to 6.

Or they should just back off a tad. they called a foul and a half a minute last night. That is awful.

louisvilledawg
02-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Read that our game had only 11 fewer foul calls than the Bama/USCe game. Their game went to 4 OT to reach that number.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-08-2017, 10:38 AM
The problem is there is no accountability for the officials. Coaches can't speak out against them without a fine and the league doesn't really give a shit what goes on or they would be more proactive in getting rid of most of them. I usually think bitching about officials is pathetic, but they have made college basketball terrible. I can't even watch the tournament because the games just drag on and it feels like you are just watching a game of horse at the free throw lines.

smootness
02-08-2017, 10:47 AM
They've been trying to make the game more open, which is fine, and their rationale is that it is tough initially because it increases the number of fouls, but eventually players learn and adapt and it results in fewer fouls and a more free-flowing game.

And that logic makes sense and has happened with rule changes in the past. But I think they may have taken it a little too far, and I'm not sure these young college kids (especially as the top teams are increasingly filled with extremely young and inexperienced kids) are ever going to adapt quick enough. You would have to start enforcing these changes on the HS level to really have them sink in, and even then the younger you get, the harder it's going to be to have kids execute it properly. But when you have young kids just learning the college game and having to learn all these new rules that aren't enforced in HS, you get what we're getting now, which is pretty much a disaster.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
They've been trying to make the game more open, which is fine, and their rationale is that it is tough initially because it increases the number of fouls, but eventually players learn and adapt and it results in fewer fouls and a more free-flowing game.

And that logic makes sense and has happened with rule changes in the past. But I think they may have taken it a little too far, and I'm not sure these young college kids (especially as the top teams are increasingly filled with extremely young and inexperienced kids) are ever going to adapt quick enough. You would have to start enforcing these changes on the HS level to really have them sink in, and even then the younger you get, the harder it's going to be to have kids execute it properly. But when you have young kids just learning the college game and having to learn all these new rules that aren't enforced in HS, you get what we're getting now, which is pretty much a disaster.

Hypothetical, but wouldn't widening the court be more effective than changing all of the rules around if you are wanting to turn it into a quick moving game?

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2017, 11:14 AM
The refs from the womens game at USCe shouldn't ever be allowed to watch another basketball game, much less ref one. I don't know what it takes to be a college ref now but apparently my IQ is at least double the allowable limit.

smootness
02-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Hypothetical, but wouldn't widening the court be more effective than changing all of the rules around if you are wanting to turn it into a quick moving game?

I mean, that's a more drastic change than just enforcing fouls more strictly.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-08-2017, 11:45 AM
I mean, that's a more drastic change than just enforcing fouls more strictly.

More drastic than turning your product into an unwatchable pile of shit?