PDA

View Full Version : What will Longo do for OM?

CadaverDawg
02-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Travis Haney was on OOB today talking about Longo and his big numbers. Said he & Freeze wanted to break the stigma that you can't run the ball under Freeze at OM. They return Shae, Wilkins, 10 WRs, most of the OL...lots of talent. How good will that O be? And will it matter if their D is trash?

msstate7
02-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Personally, I think the O is gonna be really good. If a few of their LB signees work out, I think OM could have a solid team

ETA... if the NCAA drops the hammer before the season and freeze is fired, disregard the first part of my post

louisvilledawg
02-07-2017, 12:45 PM
I mean they have NFL talent across the board at WR. Cooley or Mathis will be like Engram probably - both as heavy wr's. They still have greg little and lots of Oline talent.

I think their offense will put up video game numbers. I read that Longo is all about trying to integrate the run and that he had top 10 rushing yard teams while at FCS. However, i feel Freeze gonna Freeze and try to get cute with everything and see basically the same type of offense from last year.

Cooterpoot
02-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Just like they've been the last few years minus better talent. So, they'll be a less talented version of what they've been.

Ari Gold
02-07-2017, 01:00 PM
He might be doing a lot more than he signed up for... As in he might be the interim head coach come Game 1...

Leeshouldveflanked
02-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Crime Dog will be the Interim Head Coach....

Johnson85
02-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Just like they've been the last few years minus better talent. So, they'll be a less talented version of what they've been.

They may have less talent overall, but their Oline and RB should be better, so their offense may be as good or better.

I think a lot of their D's problem was coaching, but I'm not sure they really fixed those issues even though they got new coaches.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2017, 01:11 PM
2017 may be the best team OM has for a decade and it will likely be with a post season ban.

Cooterpoot
02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
They may have less talent overall, but their Oline and RB should be better, so their offense may be as good or better.

I think a lot of their D's problem was coaching, but I'm not sure they really fixed those issues even though they got new coaches.

They've got the same OL basically. One that wasn't very good. They lose their best WRs and the ones behind them aren't as good. You guys need to stop suckling on that OM pecker.
We will crush them just like this past season. Engram is considerably better than Cooley. They aren't remotely similar. I predict a ton of screen plays and ass kickings. Their culture has been poisoned.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Travis Haney was on OOB today talking about Longo and his big numbers. Said he & Freeze wanted to break the stigma that you can't run the ball under Freeze at OM. They return Shae, Wilkins, 10 WRs, most of the OL...lots of talent. How good will that O be? And will it matter if their D is trash?

There will be alot of 48-45 type ballgames. OM is a Big12 team in the SEC conference.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2017, 01:28 PM
2017 may be the best team OM has for a decade and it will likely be with a post season ban.

WTH? Remember when the "Land Shark" defense was actually pretty damn good? 2017 team will not be anywhere close to those teams.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2017, 01:36 PM
WTH? Remember when the "Land Shark" defense was actually pretty damn good? 2017 team will not be anywhere close to those teams.

Just curious, can you read? I seriously question that.

I said, "this will be the best team they have in a decade." Which means I'm not comparing them to any past teams. Just the future ones. Had I said, "this is the best team they've had in the past decade." Then your post would make sense, but that's not what I said

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Just curious, can you read? I seriously question that.

I said, "this will be the best team they have in a decade." Which means I'm not comparing them to any past teams. Just the future ones. Had I said, "this is the best team they've had in the past decade." Then your post would make sense, but that's not what I said

Yes I can ****ing read. I skimmed over it. Geezus, a simple "Maybe you need to re-read my post" would have been a less douche way to respond, Nancy.

TrapGame
02-07-2017, 01:43 PM
It all depends on what Longo gets out of Shae. The bar was set pretty high with Kelly. If Shae can't read a D and misses key match ups it's gonna be a mediocre season.

msbulldog
They still have questionable talent on D and not much depth. Still running hurry-up O, that won't be on the field very long. Same as last year the D will be gassed in the 2nd half.

ILOATHEBears

They will be the best post season banned team in the nation according to their fans....

blacklistedbully
02-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Phil Longo joined a Sam Houston State program that had been in the FCS CG 2 times in the 3 previous years. It's not as if he "turned them around". They were already an FCS powerhouse.

In fact, in the 3 seasons prior to his arrival, SHS averaged 31 ppg in the FCS playoffs. In the 3 seasons during his time they averaged 27.7 ppg in FCS playoffs.

UNM bio brags SHS won 2 Southland Conference titles in the 3 years he was there. But guess what? They also won 2 SC titles in the 3 years just before he got there.

I'm not much concerned with Phil Longo. He was just the best they could get given their circumstances.

Bubb Rubb
02-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Crime Dog will be the Interim Head Coach....

Actually, Matt Luke would be the interim head coach, unless he was shown the door with Freeze.

Dawgology
02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
There will be alot of 48-45 type ballgames. OM is a Big12 team in the SEC conference.

They may be a Big12 team IN the Big12 soon.... HEYoooooooooooooo!!!

Ari Gold
02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Phil Longo joined a Sam Houston State program that had been in the FCS CG 2 times in the 3 previous years. It's not as if he "turned them around". They were already an FCS powerhouse.

In fact, in the 3 seasons prior to his arrival, SHS averaged 31 ppg in the FCS playoffs. In the 3 seasons during his time they averaged 27.7 ppg in FCS playoffs.

UNM bio brags SHS won 2 Southland Conference titles in the 3 years he was there. But guess what? They also won 2 SC titles in the 3 years just before he got there.

I'm not much concerned with Phil Longo. He was just the best they could get given their circumstances.

Boom.

Ari Gold
02-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Boom.

JoseBrown
02-07-2017, 03:31 PM
He might be doing a lot more than he signed up for... As in he might be the interim head coach come Game 1...

He maybe, but a serious question. If the hammer drops and Shae, Little, a few WR's and a few others are busted could they be ruled ineligible?

Ari Gold
02-07-2017, 03:46 PM
He maybe, but a serious question. If the hammer drops and Shae, Little, a few WR's and a few others are busted could they be ruled ineligible?

The nightmare is allowing them to transfer and be eligible . If that happens shit gets really bad....

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
I can't believe I agree with a guy called cooterpoot...They return the same guys...they'll go 6-6 or worse if the sanctions poison the lockerroom...

maroonmania
02-07-2017, 04:56 PM
I can't believe I agree with a guy called cooterpoot...They return the same guys...they'll go 6-6 or worse if the sanctions poison the lockerroom...

I agree. And though Patterson will likely be improved, in the 3 games he played this year he basically had one really good quarter (4th Q vs TXA&M). Beyond that, he was nothing special.

Bubb Rubb
02-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Their lockerroom is already poisoned. It's going to show up during offseason conditioning, it's going to show up during spring ball, and it's going to show up during the season. You've got a bunch of mercenaries, and a bunch of guys who know they'll never get to play in another bowl game because of said mercenaries.

Lest you guys forget our probation years - the actual probation is really the tip of the iceberg when you start talking about program impacts.