Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Per the twitters

smootness
02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Good move.

Big4Dawg
02-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Another coach on offense who can't recruit. (Assuming he can't recruit since he hasn't been anywhere but a GA here and Texas State)

smootness
02-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Another coach on offense who can't recruit. (Assuming he can't recruit since he hasn't been anywhere but a GA here and Texas State)

Why would you assume he can't recruit? That doesn't make any sense.

StThierry
02-07-2017, 09:48 AM

If going to complain, at least, get your facts straight. He was at James Madison before Texas State

Big4Dawg
02-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Why would you assume he can't recruit? That doesn't make any sense.

Is he known for being a good recruiter?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Is he known for being a good recruiter?

I think that's kind of the point. Nobody knows if he's great or lousy so why label him as a bad recruiter with no info to go on?

archdog
02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Saban calls this guy for recruiting advice.

state66
02-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Not to hijak but is Todd Granthams brother out of the equation?

1bigdawg
02-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Not to hijak but is Todd Granthams brother out of the equation?

I appears so: at least for now.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2017, 10:10 AM
I think that's kind of the point. Nobody knows if he's great or lousy so why label him as a bad recruiter with no info to go on?

Possibly due to lack of connections and experience recruiting at this level.

Okrastar1
02-07-2017, 10:13 AM
We shoulda hired that up and comer Hugh Freeze, damnit we always miss out on the "good" recruiters!*** Sometimes we have to give people a shot at recruiting first before we Hevesy them....

smootness
02-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Possibly due to lack of connections and experience recruiting at this level.

Experience doesn't make you a good recruiter, and good recruiters make connections quickly. Regardless of how good Elliott is, he's not likely to be way better as a recruiter in 10 years than he is now. The good ones are naturally gifted at it and love doing it. The bad ones are going to be bad regardless of connections. So we have absolutely no idea how good he'll be. But criticizing the hire because he's young and hasn't had a lot of jobs is pretty weird, therefore won't be a good recruiter, is pretty weird.

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Recruiting ability (or lack thereof) aside, what else does this guy bring to the table?

HoopsDawg
02-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Recruiting ability (or lack thereof) aside, what else does this guy bring to the table?

Familiarity with Mullen and MSU. He has also worked with Fitz a little as a GA.

BB30
02-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Experience doesn't make you a good recruiter, and good recruiters make connections quickly. Regardless of how good Elliott is, he's not likely to be way better as a recruiter in 10 years than he is now. The good ones are naturally gifted at it and love doing it. The bad ones are going to be bad regardless of connections. So we have absolutely no idea how good he'll be. But criticizing the hire because he's young and hasn't had a lot of jobs is pretty weird, therefore won't be a good recruiter, is pretty weird.

Agree, I am not sure why negativity is always the first response. Being a good recruiter is no different then being able to sell ice to an Eskimo. It is just a natural gift of being able to connect with a kid and form a relationship with relative ease. Otherwise apparently Hev would be a terrific recruiter as he has been around for a while. I would actually think that being at Texas State he probably has some ins with some of the Texas highschools and could help open up another line out there. Everyone has to get their start somewhere and apparently Mullen thought fairly highly of him. We all know Mullen is the real QB coach so he obviously saw something in him that would benefit this staff. Give the guy a chance before "assuming" the worst.

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Familiarity with Mullen and MSU. He has also worked with Fitz a little as a GA.

So basically an entry level hire then as an on-field assistant. Not that there's anything wrong with that...Mullen has my blessing for anything he wants to do at the QB position at this point.

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-07-2017, 10:28 AM
He was the OC at James Madison and the OC at Texas State...not a GA.

Gutter Cobreh
02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
So our previous QB is now NFL ROY and our head coach is referred to as a "QB Whisperer", yet our main concern with this hire is if he can recruit.... Seems logical.

He'll be worth his weight in gold if he can help Fitz with his mid and long range accuracy once on staff.

smootness
02-07-2017, 10:33 AM
So basically an entry level hire then as an on-field assistant. Not that there's anything wrong with that...Mullen has my blessing for anything he wants to do at the QB position at this point.

He was co-OC at James Madison and OC last year at Texas State. He's not entry-level.

smootness
02-07-2017, 10:33 AM
He was the OC at James Madison and the OC at Texas State...not a GA.

What he said.

maroonmania
02-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Appears to be a Mullen 'yes' man. Formerly coached under Mullen and can now join the CC. I agree that the QB coach needs to be someone that can recruit because we all know that Mullen is really the QB coach.

sleepy dawg
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
So our previous QB is now NFL ROY and our head coach is referred to as a "QB Whisperer", yet our main concern with this hire is if he can recruit.... Seems logical.

He'll be worth his weight in gold if he can help Fitz with his mid and long range accuracy once on staff.

Look at this guy trying to use logic and rational thought.

WesternSkyDawg
02-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Appears to be a Mullen 'yes' man. Formerly coached under Mullen and can now join the CC. I agree that the QB coach needs to be someone that can recruit because we all know that Mullen is really the QB coach.

So Brian Johnson was worthless the last two years?

Mullen's the guru, yes. But he has to be freed up to do all the other head coach duties at some point. Those other things that some like to complain about incessantly. It's during those times that the QB coach is glued to Fitz' hip, and Keytaon's, watching film, etc.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch

The vocal minority of MSU fans, baby. Gotta love em

Quaoarsking
02-07-2017, 10:49 AM
He also played under Mullen at Utah and then transferred to a D3 school and won the D3 equivalent of the Heisman

maroonmania
02-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Mullen's the guru, yes. But he has to be freed up to do all the other head coach duties at some point. Those other things that some like to complain about incessantly. It's during those times that the QB coach is glued to Fitz' hip, and Keytaon's, watching film, etc.

I'm not really bitching because Elliott may do a fine job, I have no clue. Not exactly an out of the box hire though but really I didn't expect one. And Johnson was a pretty good recruiter and seemed to do well as a QB coach based on results from Dak and Nick. Hopefully Elliott will do the same. He was at least an OC at a lower level D1 school so there's that.

Maroons
02-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Glad to see some people are using their Jump to Conclusions mat.

Mulligan
02-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Big4Dawg
02-07-2017, 11:39 AM

You can't compare Johnson and Elliot's resume when the got hired. Was OC at Utah and was a known college player. Elliot...well, is not. That's people's point.

preachermatt83
02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Good hire. We get a QB coach that has a better resume than OM OC. Lol.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2017, 11:57 AM
You can't compare Johnson and Elliot's resume when the got hired. Was OC at Utah and was a known college player. Elliot...well, is not. That's people's point.

Brian had also had his play calling duties taken away from him the year before we hired him. He was basically just a QB coach his last year at Utah.

Todd4State
02-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Good hire but it would have been more productive to reassign Hevesy and hire an o-line coach to recruit. Maybe Boston College will fire Steve Addazio next year and we can take advantage of that situation after they add an assistant.

blacklistedbully
02-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Elliot on left, Sirmon on right.

Anybody else concerned Mullen is just trying to sneak Peter Sirmon back on staff? ;)

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Interesting connections at Utah...Elliot was the starting QB at Utah until broke his wrist and was replaced by Alex Smith in 2003. In 2004, Elliott transferred to Linfield College where he won a championship and set a national record for most TD's thrown in a season (61). Brian Johnson arrived at Utah in 2004 and went on to be the starting QB. Elliott spent 7 years trying to make a pro team, while Johnson only perused it for 2 years giving him a leg up on coaching experience.

DownwardDawg
02-07-2017, 12:46 PM
This guy is possibly the best recruiter in the NCAA!!!! We hired us a QB coach folks!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom!!!!!!!!!!!

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 01:17 PM
He was co-OC at James Madison and OC last year at Texas State. He's not entry-level.

I meant more along the lines of entry level as an SEC on the field position coach. He doesn't have nearly the resume of a T-Buck, Ron English, or Billy Gonzales. Again, that is not necessarily a bad thing, but he is less than proven at this level.

I seen it dawg
02-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Would like to add a dameyune Craig or the coach at Kansas with the La connections. Elliot may be a nice hire but it takes a spot we could have gotten one or both of those guys.

KB21
02-07-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/former_linfield_qb_brett_ellio.html

Brett has been considered one of the top young coaches in college football to watch going forward. It would not surprise me if Elliott is only here for 2-3 years before he is a power 5/group of 5 offensive coordinator.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2017, 01:36 PM
I meant more along the lines of entry level as an SEC on the field position coach. He doesn't have nearly the resume of a T-Buck, Ron English, or Billy Gonzales. Again, that is not necessarily a bad thing, but he is less than proven at this level.

Actually his resume probably looks a little better than TBuck as a coach when they came in.

msbulldog
02-07-2017, 01:38 PM
When Elliot was co-OC and QB coach at JMU, he had a QB that averaged 375/gm, 68.3% completions. 2190 passing 815 rushing and had 29 TD's

KB21
02-07-2017, 01:40 PM
This Tony Hull guy has gone from being a high school coach to an ace recruiter in one year? Something about that doesn't pass the sniff test. When it comes down to it, I don't think they end up keeping any of those commitments regardless.

Quaoarsking
02-07-2017, 01:43 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/former_linfield_qb_brett_ellio.html

Brett has been considered one of the top young coaches in college football to watch going forward. It would not surprise me if Elliott is only here for 2-3 years before he is a power 5/group of 5 offensive coordinator.

He was a G5 OC last year.

Reason2succeed
02-07-2017, 02:45 PM
I know how to tell if he is a good recruiter or not! What does his wife look like?***

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Actually his resume probably looks a little better than TBuck as a coach when they came in.

I'd respectfully disagree. Number one, T-Buck played in the NFL which is a huge built-in resume booster (mainly due to being able to sell that experience to recruits). Number two, he had 2 years as a Power 5 position coach prior to coming to MSU. Finally, he had ties to the state for recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
I'd respectfully disagree. Number one, T-Buck played in the NFL which is a huge built-in resume booster (mainly due to being able to sell that experience to recruits). Number two, he had 2 years as a Power 5 position coach prior to coming to MSU. Finally, he had ties to the state for recruiting.

That's why I put strictly as a coach. TBuck does have a couple years in experience on Elliott. 2yrs at Akron & 2yrs at Louisville as a CB coach. Elliott has 2yrs being over the whole side of the ball though. That's why I said 2yrs OC >> 4yrs CB coach. Nothing to do with recruiting.

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
That's why I put strictly as a coach. TBuck does have a couple years in experience on Elliott. 2yrs at Akron & 2yrs at Louisville as a CB coach. Elliott has 2yrs being over the whole side of the ball though. That's why I said 2yrs OC >> 4yrs CB coach. Nothing to do with recruiting.

Fair enough, but I would argue any amount of time as a Power 5 on-field coach > non Power 5 assistant (even as a coordinator). Elliot would obviously agree, since he took the job after all. Him being inexperienced isn't a bad thing, just means he'll be the guy on the low end of the salary totem pole for a few years. In our position, we can't throw $500-$600k minimum salaries at every assistant on staff like the Alabama's of the world, so we have to be smart about some hires and get the up and comer types that can be supplemented by others on staff (Mullen, in this case) to close any actual coaching gaps that might be there.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Fair enough, but I would argue any amount of time as a Power 5 on-field coach > non Power 5 assistant (even as a coordinator). Elliot would obviously agree, since he took the job after all. Him being inexperienced isn't a bad thing, just means he'll be the guy on the low end of the salary totem pole for a few years. In our position, we can't throw $500-$600k minimum salaries at every assistant on staff like the Alabama's of the world, so we have to be smart about some hires and get the up and comer types that can be supplemented by others on staff (Mullen, in this case) to close any actual coaching gaps that might be there.

I agree

maroonmania
02-07-2017, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure I would totally agree with that. Manny Diaz and Geoff Collins (both G5 coordinators) >> Peter Sirmon (P5 LB coach). I realize you could probably find examples where it works the other way as well but if a coordinator has done well at a school, especially one that was not doing well before they came on the scene, then to me that's a pretty good endorsement of them as a coach. Now I don't know how TX State did with Elliott as OC opposed to before he got there.

msstate7
02-07-2017, 05:17 PM
No idea who Texas state lost from '15 to '16...

Texas st offensive stat ranks in sun belt (11 teams)...

Scoring...
'15 = 7th
'16 = 11th

Total...
'15 = 7th
'16 = 11th

Rushing...
'15 = 4th
'16 = 11th

Passing...
'15 = 5th
'16 = 7th

Not exactly stellar... hopefully there was massive turnover

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Having worked under Mullen as a "QB Coach" would be a serious resume' booster, not even considering money. There probably isn't a better QB Coach in college right now to get you ready for the NFL.

HSVDawg
02-07-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure I would totally agree with that. Manny Diaz and Geoff Collins (both G5 coordinators) >> Peter Sirmon (P5 LB coach). I realize you could probably find examples where it works the other way as well but if a coordinator has done well at a school, especially one that was not doing well before they came on the scene, then to me that's a pretty good endorsement of them as a coach. Now I don't know how TX State did with Elliott as OC opposed to before he got there.

I wasn't arguing their actual coaching ability, just the quality of their experience as far as how it dictates things like starting salary, upward mobility, etc.

preachermatt83
02-07-2017, 06:56 PM
He also played under Mullen at Utah and then transferred to a D3 school and won the D3 equivalent of the Heisman

There was an CSTV special about him. It dealt with him striving to get drafted. It was called "Chasing the dream- A QBs Story" google it. It was awesome.

msbulldog
02-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Excellent point.