PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to shutdown the Network?

Reason2succeed
02-06-2017, 08:29 PM
I believe that the DP will be on the table but many of you don't. Let me ask the question in a different way. I'm not asking what the NCAA WILL DO but what does the NCAA NEED TO DO to get the network to shut down their operations.

Once again I don't think they stop without a DP. Anything less and they just simply pump more money in to overcompensate (their used to trying to overcompensate for things) for their lack of scholarships.

IMissJack
02-06-2017, 08:35 PM
I believe that the DP will be on the table but many of you don't. Let me ask the question in a different way. I'm not asking what the NCAA WILL DO but what does the NCAA NEED TO DO to get the network to shit down their operations.

Once again I don't think they stop without a DP. Anything less and they just simply pump more money in to overcompensate (their used to trying to overcompensate for things) for their lack of scholarships.

I think it will take leadership at the very top of the School, that are willing to ban certain people for certain conduct, and mean it. There can't be any of this disassociation, but they continue to give a wink wink and let people still be involved with the program. That almost makes the offenders more popular than the legitimate donors.
ETA: The DP works, SMU has money that makes OM look like EMCC and they still haven't gotten back. The compilation of the DP and the SWC breaking up has really kept them from moving forward. However, I don't think OM will get near the DP.

confucius say
02-06-2017, 08:45 PM
They are going to get 25 schollies, a bowl ban, suspensions and/or show causes, and multiple years probation and still say, "see Thornton, see Warner, i told you it would not be near as bad as though peasant leghumpers said it would be! Death penalty my ass."

Martianlander
02-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Death penalty is the only thing that will stop them. They have proved that.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2017, 08:52 PM
What will it take? Let me think....

https://media.giphy.com/media/urp8cVywl1Sk8/giphy.gif

RougeDawg
02-06-2017, 09:02 PM
An EMP from one of our enemies to wipe out the bank accounts of the network. NCAA death penalty willl not stop them. Anything short of a meteor hitting Lafayette county or an EMP and those bastards will keep cheating until the end of their existence.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2017, 09:16 PM
As long as they have a program, they won't stop. That includes post death penalty in the very unlikely event they get it.

Todd4State
02-06-2017, 09:20 PM
I think it will take leadership at the very top of the School, that are willing to ban certain people for certain conduct, and mean it. There can't be any of this disassociation, but they continue to give a wink wink and let people still be involved with the program. That almost makes the offenders more popular than the legitimate donors.
ETA: The DP works, SMU has money that makes OM look like EMCC and they still haven't gotten back. The compilation of the DP and the SWC breaking up has really kept them from moving forward. However, I don't think OM will get near the DP.

I think you are correct. Part of the problem there is they have a problem with their whole culture where cheating is glorified. It's going to take something very drastic from the NCAA to basically make them regret and hate those that put them in the position that they are in to begin with and to make them say "we don't want to go down that path again."

As it is, the way they see it right now is cheating got them a Sugar Bowl and a lot of attention. But we'll see what the ultimate cost actually is.

Personally, I wouldn't trade a Sugar Bowl win for 10 Croom-esque years especially with no SEC or National Title attached to it. In fact it would have to be something like six dream seasons- at least one like our 1999 season, five SEC titles, and four undefeated seasons with National Titles and a Heisman player and six straight New Year's six bowls including at least one Sugar Bowl win and Rose Bowl win for 10 years of Croom- meaning eight 3-4 win seasons with two Liberty Bowl wins thrown in and an occasional upset over a down blue blood SEC team to make me even consider doing it.

Todd4State
02-06-2017, 09:21 PM
As long as they have a program, they won't stop. That includes post death penalty in the very unlikely event they get it.

I agree but I don't think they will cheat nationally again like they did. It will be more local and only extend into the Memphis area as far as out of state goes. Probation will slow them down quite a bit for awhile as we have already seen.

99jc
02-07-2017, 08:18 AM
I agree but I don't think they will cheat nationally again like they did. It will be more local and only extend into the Memphis area as far as out of state goes. Probation will slow them down quite a bit for awhile as we have already seen.

Sex. Ain't gonna happen.

QuadrupleOption
02-07-2017, 08:51 AM
I believe that the DP will be on the table but many of you don't. Let me ask the question in a different way. I'm not asking what the NCAA WILL DO but what does the NCAA NEED TO DO to get the network to shut down their operations.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UQPfgwhJQJA/TW-63ixXWmI/AAAAAAAACxY/rcF5FxyLdq4/s1600/Mattingly_Raid1.jpg

Dawgology
02-07-2017, 09:10 AM
They will need the DP then NCAA oversight when the program starts back. Like a NCAA staff member placed within the football program and in the AD's office.

WSOPdawg
02-07-2017, 09:29 AM
They are conditioned to 'find a loophole, any loophole' and exploit it for all its worth. A tiger can't change its stripes. Once the NCAA closes this chapter for them, s year or two down the road they will be back to their 'natural' ways doing everything possible to prove their superiority.

All I know is if my university did the things they've done, I'd be extremely PO'd and ready to commence with a French Revolution-type of remedy.

BB30
02-07-2017, 10:18 AM
I would be content with them having a decade of croomesqueness. But, I don't think you will ever completely eradicate the blatant cheating. 10 years of being terrible might make them lose enough interest in the sport all together.

MadDawg
02-07-2017, 10:19 AM
It will take the academic side of the university to finally get tired of their credibility being destroyed by athletics.

maroonmania
02-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Probably the same thing it would take to shut down the Mafia. Their fanbase and big donors are so enamored and ingrained with being deeply involved in their recruiting process that I don't see it being stopped unless recruiting is stopped. They are essentially like addicts. For a lot of them recruiting is more important than on field results because with recruiting they can have a direct impact and stick out their chest to their buddies and say "look what I did" whereas the on field results are strictly the results of what coaches and players do. As long as the leadership at OM continues to give a wink and a nod to allow it (if not promote it) then the recruiting culture there will never change. And leadership would likely have to take some pretty drastic measures to seriously curtail it themselves.

Johnson85
02-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Y'all are all missing the obvious.

They get a huge check from the SEC every year that they are very dependent on. Even the most outrageous numbers people throw out as what they spend illegally per recruiting class is a drop in the bucket compared to the SEC money. So if the SEC money is ever threatened, you will see the administration get serious about shutting down the network. If they just gave Ole Miss the treatment State got under its last probation, where Ole Miss loses half its share of SEC money and only gets the half it keeps after it makes it through probation (which means they will have to avoid getting caught cheating long enough to get off probation), the Ole Miss administration would get serious quickly. Bama and Auburn and maybe LSU might shrug off a $20M year hit to their SEC money as the cost of competing for a championship. No other school has fans that are rich enough and crazy enough to ignore losing SEC money.

sleepy dawg
02-07-2017, 10:52 AM
I will continue with the analogies, but the short answer is, you probably can't shut it down.

It's about like instilling democracy in Iraq. You can destroy where they call home. Help put a new leader in place. Provide oversight. Provide support...... But the second you pull your men, it's over. The second you think you've made a real difference, it's over. They will not change. I don't even know if they can change; it seems next to impossible.

I don't even think the death penalty stops it. It will curve their behavior, and maybe even change it for a while, but it will be more of an adaption than stoppage. Even now they are planning and scheming about their new way of cheating and how to not get caught again. Maybe their focus will shift more to negative recruiting for the time being, but they will still break the rules to achieve their goals and there is nothing that can be done to stop it outside of a permanent ban from sports.

Maroons
02-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Outing people publicly is a start.

blacklistedbully
02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Y'all are all missing the obvious.

They get a huge check from the SEC every year that they are very dependent on. Even the most outrageous numbers people throw out as what they spend illegally per recruiting class is a drop in the bucket compared to the SEC money. So if the SEC money is ever threatened, you will see the administration get serious about shutting down the network. If they just gave Ole Miss the treatment State got under its last probation, where Ole Miss loses half its share of SEC money and only gets the half it keeps after it makes it through probation (which means they will have to avoid getting caught cheating long enough to get off probation), the Ole Miss administration would get serious quickly. Bama and Auburn and maybe LSU might shrug off a $20M year hit to their SEC money as the cost of competing for a championship. No other school has fans that are rich enough and crazy enough to ignore losing SEC money.

Going to disagree here. They have boosters with the deep pockets and commitment to overcome any losses of SEC money. I truly think they wouldn't blink at spending the money. The only thing that would stop them is if it eventually got them kicked out of the SEC. At that point, I don't think their cigar boys would care to invest that much in a non-P5 program.

SheltonChoked
02-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Nuke it from space. It's the only way to be sure.

TUSK
02-07-2017, 01:17 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UQPfgwhJQJA/TW-63ixXWmI/AAAAAAAACxY/rcF5FxyLdq4/s1600/Mattingly_Raid1.jpg

the smoke comin' outta that can looks like an elephant...

Coincidence? I think not....

msbulldog
02-07-2017, 01:54 PM

No that smoke looks like a big old RAT, coincidence?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Or maybe an Anteater...hence being an ant killer

Bubb Rubb
02-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Major sanctions will shut down their network. No doubts about it. It will eventually crank back up but it's gonna take time to rebuild. There will be a lot of disassociated boosters when this is over with.

JoseBrown
02-07-2017, 03:27 PM
An EMP from one of our enemies to wipe out the bank accounts of the network. NCAA death penalty willl not stop them. Anything short of a meteor hitting Lafayette county or an EMP and those bastards will keep cheating until the end of their existence.

And then moving them down to NJCAA or NAIA...wouldn't stop the cheating, but wouldn't be our problem anymore...

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Going to disagree here. They have boosters with the deep pockets and commitment to overcome any losses of SEC money. I truly think they wouldn't blink at spending the money. The only thing that would stop them is if it eventually got them kicked out of the SEC. At that point, I don't think their cigar boys would care to invest that much in a non-P5 program.

They would probably just go to the Big 12 if they got kicked out of the SEC.

Coursesuper
02-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Major sanctions will shut down their network. No doubts about it. It will eventually crank back up but it's gonna take time to rebuild. There will be a lot of disassociated boosters when this is over with.

If you believe that receiving sanctions will shut down the network you are incredibly naive. They may scale back a touch, like the status they are in right now but these guys will never stop as long as there is a football team at UNM, they will be active. The only way that this thing shuts down is if the program goes away.

Bubb Rubb
02-07-2017, 05:27 PM
If you believe that receiving sanctions will shut down the network you are incredibly naive. They may scale back a touch, like the status they are in right now but these guys will never stop as long as there is a football team at UNM, they will be active. The only way that this thing shuts down is if the program goes away.

This is really some black helicopter nonsense. You're giving those idiots way too much credit. Once the NCAA pummels them, they will have to go back to the drawing board. That will take time. While that is taking time, you can be assured that the administration will take control of things. That's how it happened during the Tuberville days and that's how it will happen here.

They will eventually be back, but it's going to take them some time.

TUSK
02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Or maybe an Anteater...hence being an ant killer

Agreed. I ranked it:
1-anteater
2-rat
3-psychophant

#3 psychophant got a "bammer bump" to #1.

Homedawg
02-07-2017, 11:28 PM

No. No it won't. Some refuse to quit. Just the way it is. Not stopping. Slow, maybe. But not about to stop. You think a person "disassociated" will stop? Why?

Jarius
02-07-2017, 11:31 PM
If they got the death penalty they would end up in the Sunbelt and that would stop it by default because you can't pay a kid with real options enough to choose a sunbelt team over SEC schools. That being said, they aren't getting the DP.