PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Manny may be out at Texas

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
This is a tweet from Texas insider Max Olson

Max Olson ‏@max_olson 3m
Mack Brown asked if Manny Diaz will coach next week, said he wants to watch the game tape before commenting. #TEXvsBYU

msstate7
09-08-2013, 12:01 AM
So do they wait till the end of the year to hire Collins or get him immediately? I don't know where Collins is headed really, but I don't think he'll be here next season. Of course, if he stays he could leave to be a head coach at some small school bc I think we're gonna be unbelievable next year on d

thf24
09-08-2013, 01:35 AM
I don't know quite as much as some of you about the game, but I never thought Diaz was that great. I think his style of defense incorporates too many gimmicks, and only worked well for us in 2010 because there was no film on it being implemented at a major conference level (and because he had NFL players all over the field). Don't ask me to find it again, but I saw a quote of a pro scout a while back that said something to the effect of Diaz's blitzes and pressure not having a clear logic or goal in regards to who the opponent was and what they were trying to do, that he just threw various blitzes out there and hoped some of them stuck.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't know quite as much as some of you about the game, but I never thought Diaz was that great. I think his style of defense incorporates too many gimmicks, and only worked well for us in 2010 because there was no film on it being implemented at a major conference level (and because he had NFL players all over the field). Don't ask me to find it again, but I saw a quote of a pro scout a while back that said something to the effect of Diaz's blitzes and pressure not having a clear logic or goal in regards to who the opponent was and what they were trying to do, that he just threw various blitzes out there and hoped some of them stuck.

I think the goal was to get to the quarterback and get pressure maybe? Actually, sometimes disorganization is a really good strategy as far as blitzing because then you can confuse the QB. Ask Joe Lee Dunn.

I think Manny made a bad career decision going to Texas just because he ended up with a head coach that is on the decline.

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Big difference: We could tackle. Texas can't.

He hasn't been that impressive considering the athletes they have.

The good news: Texas fans will not be happy with a hire from Mississippi State at any point in the near future.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-08-2013, 08:54 AM
So do they wait till the end of the year to hire Collins or get him immediately? I don't know where Collins is headed really, but I don't think he'll be here next season. Of course, if he stays he could leave to be a head coach at some small school bc I think we're gonna be unbelievable next year on d

I think Collins leaving highlights the problem of why it will be hard to impossible for us to ever be a serious contender. Does any other school have the staff turnover we have? Whenever we get a good coordinator, they leave for a sun belt coaching job or another big school. We really have to remove the incentive for going to a sun belt conference by paying those positions more than their head coaching jobs.

FlabLoser
09-08-2013, 09:04 AM
This off season is the time to raise Collins and hire, with competitive salary, an OC from Troy.

32 Dive
09-08-2013, 09:33 AM
The good news: Texas fans will not be happy with a hire from Mississippi State at any point in the near future.

So, Diaz is the Anti-Darryl Royal? :-)

MetEdDawg
09-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Paying assistants is where we are the most behind the big boys in the SEC. Our stadium is finally coming along, the facilities are up to par, but the assistant salary is so far behind it's almost embarrassing. Not sure we can ever truly be competitive unless we can step up and pay assistants, specifically coordinators. Have to keep our good ones if we want to build something special.

codeDawg
09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
This off season is the time to raise Collins and hire, with competitive salary, an OC from Troy.

Completely agree. I say we start a HIRE Kenny Edenfield campaign (http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=444).

ETA: Link styles are not obvious: http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=444 (http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=444)

Dawgface
09-08-2013, 09:41 AM

True.

If TX continues to play like they did last night, I think Brown will be gone too. If OM puts a whipping on them and finishes with a good record, maybe Freeze to TX? ;)

codeDawg
09-08-2013, 09:46 AM
True.

If TX continues to play like they did last night, I think Brown will be gone too. If OM puts a whipping on them and finishes with a good record, maybe Freeze to TX? ;)

The only way I see UT settling for an 'up-and-comer' is if UM comes in and scorches them. The other side of the coin is that there aren't too many "proven" coaches out there due to Alabama's dominance. Maybe GA ditches Richt after this year, but that would be stupid on their part. </ramble...>

maroonmania
09-08-2013, 09:47 AM

I'm all for raising Collins' pay (assuming he truly is the effective DC it appears he is so far) however there is no point in paying a big time OC to come in here and run things because Mullen wouldn't have it. As has been discussed ad nauseum Mullen implements what HE wants offensively and then just has an OC carry it out. He is not going to allow a OC to come in with his own ideas and run with them. That would be a clash that probably wouldn't last more than one season anyway.

thf24
09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Actually, sometimes disorganization is a really good strategy as far as blitzing because then you can confuse the QB. Ask Joe Lee Dunn.

Then what's so special about him? If all it takes is random blitzes to run an effective and sustainable defense, then a GA could call plays with the same results. I agree that disorganization is sometimes an effective strategy, but not when it's your only strategy.