PDA

View Full Version : Big basketball game tomorrow

msstate7
02-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Sorry to break up the all time NFL qb talk, but we have a chance to get back in NIT talk tomorrow at auburn. Any word on ready? I'm probably most scared of auburn's tenacious in-bound defense bc we're not good at getting the ball in. Q and peters have to show tomorrow

maroonmania
02-06-2017, 11:08 AM
So where would our RPI have to get to in order to have a realistic shot at the NIT? Looks like we are currently at 112.

msstate7
02-06-2017, 11:09 AM
So where would our RPI have to get to in order to have a realistic shot at the NIT? Looks like we are currently at 112.

I'm gonna guess 60ish. We've got a bunch of good rpi games coming, but have to win a few

Tbonewannabe
02-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Q has looked off for several games in a row. His wrist bothering him more now or just normal streaky issues?

MarketingBully
02-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Should know more regarding Ready this afternoon as Howland has a press conference today. He had an MRI yesterday. He was out of the game against Tennessee because of back spasms.

trob115
02-06-2017, 11:41 AM
I think the NIT is a very long shot this year, but a win tomorrow would definitely help increase those odds. I think if we finish 5-3 down the stretch, we have a shot. We would need to win 2 games in SEC tournament at that point too.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Q has looked off for several games in a row. His wrist bothering him more now or just normal streaky issues?

He's had 3 subpar games shooting wise but that's on the heals of his best scoring game at MSU.

lamont
02-06-2017, 12:11 PM
CBI is very much in play for us still

CadaverDawg
02-06-2017, 12:11 PM
We have a brutal remaining schedule, and winning on the road is tough. I expect us to struggle down the stretch, beginning tomorrow night. No postseason. Hope they prove me wrong like they did Saturday

smootness
02-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Getting to 70-80 should put us squarely in the mix. That will be a tough task, though. I don't see us getting in at this point, it would take a really, really good stretch run against tough competition.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2017, 12:18 PM
We are a better rebounding team without Ready. Also Ready is not the best in-bounds passer. I wouldn't mind going one more game w/o him to see what happens. We may have found something with Peters, Q, Stapleton, Keglar and Herard.

HailState39110
02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Our RPI right now is right outside of 100.

We would need to go at the worst 6-2 our last 8 games to have a chance to get into the NIT. We get SCarolina and Florida at home which would be good RPI boosters if we could win both of those . They are both Top 25 teams

HoopsDawg
02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Our RPI right now is right outside of 100.

We would need to go at the worst 6-2 our last 8 games to have a chance to get into the NIT. We get SCarolina and Florida at home which would be good RPI boosters if we could win both of those . They are both Top 25 teams

I think 4-4 is about the best case scenario, but have to beat AU. That would put us at 18-12. Win 2 in the SECT and may can slide into the NIT.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Should know more regarding Ready this afternoon as Howland has a press conference today. He had an MRI yesterday. He was out of the game against Tennessee because of back spasms.

Sounds like no structural damage, but they haven't said how long he is out.

https://twitter.com/MSUsportsGregg/status/828654820164767747

Dawg61
02-06-2017, 12:49 PM

He needs surgery.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2017, 12:52 PM
He needs surgery.

Actually, no he doesn't. Please quit posting this on MSU boards.

msstate7
02-06-2017, 12:54 PM
I never think to look closely during games. Is Q able to dribble with both hands?

smootness
02-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I think 4-4 is about the best case scenario, but have to beat AU. That would put us at 18-12. Win 2 in the SECT and may can slide into the NIT.

Wouldn't happen in that scenario. OOC schedule and RPI just aren't good enough.

smootness
02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
I never think to look closely during games. Is Q able to dribble with both hands?

Yes, and finish with both hands. The wrist is not really limiting him. I'm sure there's pain, but when you watch him, it's clear it's not really affecting the way he plays. He's just hit a rough stretch.

HSVDawg
02-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Sorry to break up the all time NFL qb talk, but we have a chance to get back in NIT talk tomorrow at auburn. Any word on ready? I'm probably most scared of auburn's tenacious in-bound defense bc we're not good at getting the ball in. Q and peters have to show tomorrow

NIT is too far gone for us at this point. We just need to focus on continuing to improve in all facets (especially defensively and in the post) and try to advance to 17-18 regular season wins. Those are realistic goals that would denonstrate marked improvement and generate some momentum heading into next year. And then there's always the CBI to possibly get some extra practice time.

CadaverDawg
02-06-2017, 01:30 PM
An injured wrist doesn't make one lazy with passes or take bad shots. I think Q just hit a rough patch, but he (and everybody) seemed to figure out against Tennessee in the second half that by driving the ball you get better looks inside AND out. Hopefully we continue that drive/drive & kick trend

Dawg61
02-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Actually, no he doesn't. Please quit posting this on MSU boards.

I will not. You nor nobody else including ****ing doctors can say him not having surgery is the best thing for him and his career and I am convinced him not having surgery now is actually the absolute worst thing for his career. Think about his 15-20 year career that's at jeopardy right now based on this decision. He is NOT the same player since the injury. He can not ever be the same player with it still injured. If they can take a ****ing ligament outta Matt Harvey's leg and double wrap it around his elbow they can fix Spoon's wrist. Why is everyone telling him to wait? That seems extremely selfish to me and not of the players best long term interest. The sooner he goes ahead with it the better off he will be. All of y'all saying he shouldn't have the surgery now is troubling to me.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2017, 03:15 PM
I will not. You nor nobody else including ****ing doctors can say him not having surgery is the best thing for him and his career and I am convinced him not having surgery now is actually the absolute worst thing for his career. Think about his 15-20 year career that's at jeopardy right now based on this decision. He is NOT the same player since the injury. He can not ever be the same player with it still injured. If they can take a ****ing ligament outta Matt Harvey's leg and double wrap it around his elbow they can fix Spoon's wrist. Why is everyone telling him to wait? That seems extremely selfish to me and not of the players best long term interest. The sooner he goes ahead with it the better off he will be. All of y'all saying he shouldn't have the surgery now is troubling to me.

He could be putting his entire career in jeopardy by having the surgery. Most players with this type of injury wait until their playing days are over until they have surgery. There is no risk of further damage. It's simply a matter of pain tolerance. No one was saying anything about his injury in the Missouri game.

Dawg61
02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
He could be putting his entire career in jeopardy by having the surgery.

He's not going to have an NBA career without the surgery so he is taking a huge risk by not having the surgery. There's no angle here were he isn't taking a big risk. I have been saying since he got injured he needs to have the surgery so throwing the Missouri game at me like I wasn't saying it then too is just wrong. We have seen him as a player before and now after the injury. The only way he's going to be that same player and even better is to take a risk and have the surgery now. You actually think he's never going to 100% heal from it? What if he only heals 50% wouldn't that be a whole lot better than 0% he's at currently.

chef dixon
02-06-2017, 03:24 PM
It's pretty evident he doesn't have he same touch finishing at the rim or protecting the ball off the dribble.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2017, 03:27 PM
He's not going to have an NBA career without the surgery so he is taking a huge risk by not having the surgery. There's no angle here were he isn't taking a big risk. I have been saying since he got injured he needs to have the surgery so throwing the Missouri game at me like I wasn't saying it then too is just wrong. We have seen him as a player before and now after the injury. The only way he's going to be that same player and even better is to take a risk and have the surgery now. You actually think he's never going to 100% heal from it? What if he only heals 50% wouldn't that be a whole lot better than 0% he's at currently.

I think you are clueless and I think I'm not going to waste time arguing with you.

smootness
02-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Doctors have said there is no guarantee the surgery will help anything. I realize that above you essentially said your conviction means more than anything a doctor says, but that is what they've said.

KentuckyDawg13
02-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Alt facts. ***

Doctors have said there is no guarantee the surgery will help anything. I realize that above you essentially said your conviction means more than anything a doctor says, but that is what they've said.

preachermatt83
02-06-2017, 04:52 PM
CBI is very much in play for us still

I wouldn't want us accepting an invitation to the CBI

Dawg61
02-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Doctors have said there is no guarantee the surgery will help anything.

Looks pretty damn evident him not having the surgery guarantees he won't ever be the same player again. MSU will pay 100% for it right now. Whose gonna guarantee his next team will pay for the surgery or any team ever after he leaves MSU? No team will. They will pass on him for a player they don't have to pay that surgery for.

CadaverDawg
02-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Why? Any and all postseason experience is good for a team as young as ours. Why in the world would we turn that down?

maroonmania
02-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Looks pretty damn evident him not having the surgery guarantees he won't ever be the same player again. MSU will pay 100% for it right now. Whose gonna guarantee his next team will pay for the surgery or any team ever after he leaves MSU? No team will. They will pass on him for a player they don't have to pay that surgery for.

Well, to be blount, its not your decision to make or anyone else on this board. Q has gotten information from multiple doctors on his condition and he and his family have decided to postpone surgery for now. Might as well move on to another topic.

BB30
02-06-2017, 06:24 PM

That makes zero sense... Any extra basketball these guys get to play will only benefit them down the road. Especially a tourney style event. Who cares if it is against ITT institute. The more these young guys get to play the better off they will be when we are actually playing for something meaningful. I never will understand why some of our fans say we shouldn't accept a bowl at 5-7 or shouldn't play in this or that tourney. Extra pt in any way shape or form benefits us.

preachermatt83
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Why? Any and all postseason experience is good for a team as young as ours. Why in the world would we turn that down?

I can see both sides of it but I just think you are risking injury for a participation trophy. I just think after a long season rest is just as valuable as playing experience. Just my opinion however.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Actually from what I know HAVING that surgery is just as dangerous, if not more so, to his career. There is a fairly large chance that the surgery won't help. There is a real chance it may make it worse. You just need to stop this crap.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2017, 07:03 PM

I would. The more games the better.

Dawg61
02-06-2017, 07:07 PM
There is a real chance it may make it worse.

How? It's been said many times he can't injure it any further right now so how does repairing a ligament end up making it worse than as worse as it can already get? Again if Matt Harvey can have a ligament taken from his leg and inserted in his elbow and wrapped around it twice essentially giving him a stronger elbow than every other human they can fix Spoon's wrist.

Oh yea and you're full of shit saying you've had the same exact surgery that Q would be having. Braggadocio Liverpool and his wild tales time again.

ScreenCaptureThis
02-06-2017, 08:33 PM
This might help you out a bit, at least in understanding what Q is dealing with. And if multiple doctors have stated (we can only assume) that he should not have surgery, it's either that he is in the pre-phase, or that his wrist is beyond the point of safe repair with certainty.

http://www.sportsmd.com/wrist-hand-injuries/scapholunate-ligament-tear/

So I tend to agree with others stating you really need to keep the "He should have surgery" talk to yourself unless you know exactly what he's dealing with and how far along his injury is.