PDA

View Full Version : Does Valley and JSU have more guys in the NFL hall of Fame then Miss State?

Jack Lambert
02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Just curious.

Hot Rock
02-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Google is your friend, go see for yourself.

Skydawg1
02-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Just curious.Put it this way....we're the only "Big 4" school without an NFL HOF'er.

Reason2succeed
02-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Seeing as State has zero the answer is yes. Jackson State has three and Valley has one. Integration has served State well.

Todd4State
02-06-2017, 12:33 AM
Seeing as State has zero the answer is yes. Jackson State has three and Valley has one. Integration has served State well.

And that's probably why we were very willing to desegregate our football team in the late 1960's. In fact I believe when we beat Ole Miss in 1970 Frank Dowsing who was one of the first black players at MSU made a critical INT to help us win.

JSU had a fairly loaded team in the early 1970's with Walter Payton and Robert Brazille.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Gotta feeling we will begin catching up.

You certainly never know, but between Fletcher Cox, Dak, Slay, and KJ Wright, I think there is a decent shot one of them gets there. We won't know for 15 plus years though.

Reason2succeed
02-06-2017, 08:17 AM
And that's probably why we were very willing to desegregate our football team in the late 1960's. In fact I believe when we beat Ole Miss in 1970 Frank Dowsing who was one of the first black players at MSU made a critical INT to help us win.

JSU had a fairly loaded team in the early 1970's with Walter Payton and Robert Brazille.

There are a lot of SWAC fans who believe that desegregation destroyed their football programs. They had some great teams that actually would have competed with State and OM. You just saw how much talent were on those teams and they didn't even mention Steve McNair.

Bothrops
02-06-2017, 08:38 AM
To have zero, you have to be unlucky as hell also. The odds are on your side. It's hard to believe. The tides are changing, albeit slowly.

Reason2succeed
02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
To have zero, you have to be unlucky as hell also. The odds are on your side. It's hard to believe. The tides are changing, albeit slowly.

We have a couple of candidates in the league right now who if they stay healthy and keep progressing possibly could get there.

But not taking anything away from the older players but it is now increasingly harder to get to the HOF because of the amount of players that come through the league now with player turnover. How many of the players other than Tom Brady were with them in their first SB win? Probably none.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2017, 09:20 AM
There are a lot of SWAC fans who believe that desegregation destroyed their football programs.

It did.

SWAC schools used to have access to the best talent, but now that talent goes to schools that have more money & larger fan bases. They aren't wrong

Johnson85
02-06-2017, 10:05 AM
We have a couple of candidates in the league right now who if they stay healthy and keep progressing possibly could get there.

But not taking anything away from the older players but it is now increasingly harder to get to the HOF because of the amount of players that come through the league now with player turnover. How many of the players other than Tom Brady were with them in their first SB win? Probably none.

Kent hull? Will he not be in at some point?

Reason2succeed
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Kent hull? Will he not be in at some point?

I don't know. He was before my time. Was he that good and superior to other players at his position?

I think Fletcher Cox and Dak have started their career off in the right direction to get there but it's a long road for them too. We will see if Preston Smith, BMac, Chris Jones, and Slay develop to be perennially the best at their positions.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Google is your friend, go see for yourself.

I did google and it sent me to Elite Dawg friend.

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
JSU has a hall of champions/hall of fame room upstairs in the basketball arena that has photos of probably 100-120 players that reached the pros and they're all basically from the 60's-80's. It's incredible!

dawgday166
02-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Valley has 2 ... Rice & Deacon Jones.

Saltydog
02-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Lem Barney, Sweetness and Jackie Slater.........