PDA

View Full Version : Observation from today's basketball game...

DeviousDawg
02-04-2017, 08:18 PM
1. The team you saw tonight will not lose a single player next year, and will add 3 4* post men and a 5* PG next year. We have a chance to be really really good next year.

2. We went down 17-2 early, once again a terrible start, that's like 10 games in a row with a similar first 10 minutes. Gotta fix this.

3. We fought back from down 19 points to get the win against a team that is hotter than anyone in the country. Gotta be proud of the boys to pull something off like this on a night where we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

4. We literally had no backcourt presence tonight with Ready out and Lamar/Q colder than ice. Q, Lamar, Eli Wright and Tyson Carter combined for 6 field goals on 35 attempts (17%). Q and Lamar were a combined 0-11 from 3 and a combined 3-10 from the free throw stripe. We still found a way to win though.

5. Stapleton had a career game with 14 points and 11 rebounds in 26 minutes played. 5 of his 11 rebounds were offensive. He still had 4 fouls. He has to find away to limit the pointless fouls.

6. Herard is continuing to improve every game. He played 32 minutes and scored 12 points with 15 rebounds, 7 of which where offensive. 8 of 14 from the charity stripe is about all we can ask from him. He was controlling the game from the post all day, and must've been fouled 10+ times.

7. Herard and Stapleton combined for 12 of our teams 21 offensive rebounds tonight. That might be the stat of the game.

8. Kegler had a huge game. He had 17 points and 9 rebounds in 33 minutes played. He went 4-6 from beyond the arch. Player of the game in my opinion.

9. As a team we shot 30.9% from the field, 26.9% from 3, and 48.4% from the FT line. We only made 21 field goals, but had 21 offensive rebounds at the same time. We had 6 steals to TN's 1, 4 blocks to TN's 2, 55 rebounds to TN's 45 and 21 offensive rebounds to TN's 9, while only committing 10 turnovers to TN's 14. We won the game on the defensive side of the court as well as on the boards, been a while since a State team could say that.

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 09:10 PM
2. We went down 17-2 early, once again a terrible start, that's like 10 games in a row with a similar first 10 minutes. Gotta fix this.

Which means we outscored TN by 20 points from that point forward while shooting 31% from the field and hitting less than half of our free throws for the game. That is pretty amazing.

wasabaka
02-04-2017, 09:14 PM
9. As a team we shot 30.9% from the field, 26.9% from 3, and 48.4% from the FT line. We only made 21 field goals

This has to be the worst team stat line I have ever seen from a team that won a game. It took unbelievable grit to gut out that win.

msstate7
02-04-2017, 09:19 PM
This has to be the worst team stat line I have ever seen from a team that won a game. It took unbelievable grit to gut out that win.
21 offensive reb
55-45 state rebounding overall
We whipped them on the boards

chef dixon
02-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Not a popular opinion but Tyson and Eli have things to offer us even as freshman. I like to see them play.

Herard should be a stud by next fall.

msstate7
02-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Not a popular opinion but Tyson and Eli have things to offer us even as freshman. I like to see them play.

Herard should be a stud by next fall.

I like carter for about 5 mins a game as long as he's shooting spot up 3s. I don't like him forcing his shot though. I like Eli, but not sure he plays much once ready is healthy

smootness
02-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Today was a glimpse of how scary we can be in time. There are just so many talented players in the roster, we can have our best players give us nothing and still find guys who can win us a game.

trob115
02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Kegler and Herard are both starting to mature and develop. Both are going to be huge pieces going forward. It sure has been fun going to games again this year.