PDA

View Full Version : I noticed quite a few things today. Not all good, but one thing in particular...

gravedigger
09-07-2013, 11:02 PM
We continued our education of what we do well and what we don't offensively. Doesn't matter if we are playing a good team or not.

We do NOT stand in the pocket and check down receivers well.
Our qb's, ALL OF THEM, are, for some reason, doing this every bit as much or more than running what I call 'timing' plays, and rollouts and read option.
We don't audible well. For the most part, changes at the line of scrimmage produce plays that look like something out of the keystone cops.

Our defense has its moments that it looks impenetrable. At other times it looks too passive. Today, I saw numerous occasions where their running backs, with a bit more speed would have broken for a long run, but just missed on it. That 'bit more speed' is going to be a rude awakening when we face LSU and the other bigs in the league.

The fake punt was a disaster from start to finish and I don't just mean the duck of a pass. The receiver wasn't open, we waited to throw it too long (hell even the punter has this problem) and it just looked like a half assed effort all the way around. With a 14 pt lead on a swac team, I didn't see the point in trying. All I can hope is that we intended to use that as some sort of a decoy so that when we actually need to fake a punt we have something ELSE that throws them off guard when they expect this masterpiece.

Kickoffs looked good. Missing an extra point...just blows my mind. Don't even see how it happens unless there was some problem on the hold.

Now for the good.

Dak looked like he's comfortable running the show but also he looks like he's got some improving to do. When he does we'll be a pretty effective offense. I'm still confused with the amount of plays we keep him in the pocket to pass vs the amount we move the pocket or get him outside of it.

Shumpert made a name for himself by running over people.

D Wilson is just an eyelash from going from a very good receiver to getting into 1st team all conference territory.

D Williams.....kid will push Dak for the job next year along with Staley and they will make Dak better.

B Holloway.....nice quickness and runs a good sideline route. Next time we are going for it on 4th and 1 against a decent defense that's aggressive, I say we run this quick throw in the flat to him.

Calhoun at cornerback got picked on a bit, but also made a very senior like play to force a fumble and recover it himself.

We knocked down passes at the line of scrimmage.

Yes, I feel better about our chances with Auburn. We are not going to get 'rolled'. We would have if Russell was going to play and stand in the pocket, but I think we have a decent chance of winning. Better than most think. If we can pull that one off, it can change the rest of the season and the way the players approach it.

I'm excited about the stadium too. Seeing people sitting there made it even better.

PassInterference
09-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Touchbacks. Lots of touchbacks. Doesn't matter who you are playing - if you kick deep you get touchbacks. We didn't have that last year. We had some today - and in both directions so it wasn't the wind.

msstate7
09-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Touchbacks. Lots of touchbacks. Doesn't matter who you are playing - if you kick deep you get touchbacks. We didn't have that last year. We had some today - and in both directions so it wasn't the wind.

And auburn has tre mason so that's important

PMDawg
09-08-2013, 07:58 AM
And auburn has tre mason so that's important

it's only important if we're not hard headed enough to kick it to him.

Bothrops
09-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Excellent stuff, gravedigger. I notice that we often have receivers open downfield. The moments are fleeting but a well thrown ball within those short windows would completely change the effectiveness of our offense. This needs to be brought to light.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I agree about your assessments but audibles come with experience. That was Dak's first start and Damien's first playing time. They still need more time for defense recognition and understanding the flow of the offense.