PDA

View Full Version : Is the Value Of An MSU Offer Increasing, Decreasing, Or Staying The Same?

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Now that recruiting season is over and we have time to be objective, I always like to look and see if we are moving forwards, backwards, or spinning our wheels.

Is an MSU football offer gaining value, losing value, staying the same?

Is it gaining nationally and not in the Deep South, or vice versa?

It's easy to get caught up on one recruit here and one recruit there, but what's really important in the long haul is the 30,000 ft view.

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 09:02 AM
For QBs it has increased exponentially. For other positions it is relatively the same. We are an SEC school that can get you to the league if you perform well.

Bothrops
02-04-2017, 12:23 PM
MSU is a better place to play football now than it's ever been. If the media would portray us in an honest and accurate way, it'd be a little easier to recruit kids to play here.

lamont
02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Much greater than it was 10 years ago. Mullen doing a solid job plus the growth of the SEC has certainly elevated us

BulldogDX55
02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Another spot that it is increasing is among JUCO players, which is especially obvious with the haul we just pulled in that included several players with offers from schools that typically beat us. This is likely because our perceived talent level is low enough that these JUCO studs think they can come in and start immediately, but high enough that they'll win and get more of the spotlight for a potential NFL career.

msbulldog
02-04-2017, 12:58 PM
#1 ranking in 2014 got us looked at. Dak Prescott has brought us millions of dollars of free publicity and we need to capitalize on that!
Yes we are on the national stage because of Dak. On the other side, Mississippi has put their selves on the national stage for all of the wrong reasons, everybody is looking to see how bad they get burnt!

Tripp McNeely
02-04-2017, 01:10 PM
For QBs it has increased exponentially. For other positions it is relatively the same. We are an SEC school that can get you to the league if you perform well.

Same can be said for RB, DL, LB and CB as well. We have pumped a bunch of those guys into the League since Mullen's been here

justwin
02-04-2017, 01:52 PM
It's much better & gaining value.

In order to "break through", MSU has to go on a run and win several vs LSU and quit being intimidated by the name on the jersey. In the last 5 years, we've beaten Aub, Ark, TXAM, OM regularly. We are 1-7 vs LSU with 3 last minute losses which has hurt perception.

I see KT being the guy that leads us past LSU in wins and status. Just need to continue to surround him with legit, big powerful RBs and can see him going 2-1 vs LSU at a minimum. He'll be plenty motivated vs home state school.

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Same can be said for RB, DL, LB and CB as well. We have pumped a bunch of those guys into the League since Mullen's been here

Increased significantly in all but 2 position groups. And those are obviously OL and WR. For some reason we are lagging way behind in those area compared to the rest of the team. Our secondary hasn't been great lately but we are still reeling in highly valued prospects there.

Joe Schmedlap
02-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Trending upward despite this past season. Not only are former Bulldogs making it to the NFL; they are making the Pro Bowl. More money than ever is rolling in from the SEC office. Facilities are extremely nice.

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Trending upward despite this past season. Not only are former Bulldogs making it to the NFL; they are making the Pro Bowl. More money than ever is rolling in from the SEC office. Facilities are extremely nice.

Even at that- making a bowl and winning it continues one of the longest bowl streaks in the SEC and that is a good thing.

You are correct about the NFL and the Pro Bowl. But now with Dak we finally have a "face" in the NFL that people talk about at a premium position which is something that we have never had in my lifetime. Fletcher Cox is also up there as he is one of the best d-linemen in the NFL. The next step is getting Fitzgerald to at least have a very good career with us and then into the NFL. The perception right now is that Dak completely carried us and after going 6-7 it's hard to argue with that right now. So, it's important for us to have success over the next two years with Nick and then follow that up with Keytaeon having success. Then people will see a pattern of success.

We also need to beat Alabama at least once over the next 4-5 years. We have already beaten LSU although beating them a few more times will help with perception as well.

There are a lot of things that I think are setting up well for us over the next five years and maybe even beyond. Ole Miss going on probation should afford us an opportunity to clean the state out for the next few years. USM is mired in the second division of college football. And then Dan being on the coach's committee will have a major impact as he has spearheaded some of the new legislation that looks like it is likely to be approved which will help us immensely and probably more than any other college football program- the new December signing period for high school, the adding of another assistant coach, and allowing true freshmen to play in three games and still be able to be redshirted all help us and will only help level the playing field for us.

IMissJack
02-04-2017, 03:48 PM
MSU is a better place to play football now than it's ever been. If the media would portray us in an honest and accurate way, it'd be a little easier to recruit kids to play here.
I think MSU could do a better job of portraying itself nationally, and help the press out. We don't do enough of that. We also need a better reputation for academics around the country.

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
I think MSU could do a better job of portraying itself nationally, and help the press out. We don't do enough of that. We also need a better reputation for academics around the country.

We've always had a hard time bragging on ourselves. I think we don't stand up for ourselves enough- like when the press bashes us or Starkville. Although I'm not sure if Bonner leaving had anything to do with him upsetting Keenum. We tend to do things quietly- like when we fired Sirmon and no one realized it until we hired Todd Grantham.

Starkville is a good college town. There really is no reason for Starkville to accept people bashing it- just like Lafayette, La. didn't put up with Matthew Stevens bashing their city. I'm not saying that we should get reporters fired- but we should make them apologize at the very least. And not that it matters but I don't think Stevens was fired just for the Lafayette comments- it was other things as well. Like saying that Dak wasn't a Heisman contender and then calling out State fans who questioned him.

coachnorm
02-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Another spot that it is increasing is among JUCO players, which is especially obvious with the haul we just pulled in that included several players with offers from schools that typically beat us. This is likely because our perceived talent level is low enough that these JUCO studs think they can come in and start immediately, but high enough that they'll win and get more of the spotlight for a potential NFL career.

I can tell you first hand that an offer from Miss St carries weight in California. Also, I can tell you that many California JC rosters have Florida and Georgia players in addition to other Southeastern States. Generally, a JC prospect or bounce back is interested in exposure first and wining second. Strangely, when a SEC team recruits a California JC player, he could be originally from the Southeast? Strongly support BulldogDX55 statement.