View Full Version : Next football season MSU will have 1 scholarship senior on the OL & DL combined...

DeviousDawg
02-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Martinas Rankin is the only senior offensive lineman. Trey Brown redshirted last year, therefore, there will be zero senior defensive lineman on scholarship.

While this is terrible terrible planning and execution by the coaches, it does set up for a run in 2018.

Other seniors in 2017:

Smokey Graham
Lashard Durr
Traver Yung
JT Gray
Dez Harris
Logan Cooke
Jordan Thomas
Gabe Myles
Donald Gray

2018 is going to have a very experienced and talented roster.

msstate7
02-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Looks like a tiny signing class next season

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Looks like a tiny signing class next season

More like looks like a lot of processing next season. I'm assuming that after this class we're back to 85 or pretty close to it. My guess is we will sign 25 again next year if we can.

Tbonewannabe
02-04-2017, 07:37 AM
It looks like the only impact players we lose is Rankin and Gray so 2018 looks like hopefully a great year. The schedule also flips so we will have a great chance at 10 wins hopefully. It will also be Grantham's second year so our defense will have 1 year under their belt in the system.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2017, 08:14 AM
It looks like the only impact players we lose is Rankin and Gray so 2018 looks like hopefully a great year. The schedule also flips so we will have a great chance at 10 wins hopefully. It will also be Grantham's second year so our defense will have 1 year under their belt in the system.

I gotta feeling we'll have to battle to not lose a few of these JUCOs to the NFL. If Sweat and Rivers are what they can be, their services could be in high demand

msstate7
02-04-2017, 08:16 AM
I gotta feeling we'll have to battle to not lose a few of these JUCOs to the NFL. If Sweat and Rivers are what they can be, their services could be in high demand

Aeris and Leo are 2 to keep an eye on too

I seen it dawg
02-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Better recruit the shit out of the DL this cycle

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Then we will need to re-recruit them to stay for their senior year to do something special and increase their draft grade.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Aeris and Leo are 2 to keep an eye on too

Not worried about Aeris. He's good, but his position and skill set isn't rare. Could be a J Rob type situation though.

Leo could be a concern however, if he has a strong year

msstate7
02-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Not worried about Aeris. He's good, but his position and skill set isn't rare. Could be a J Rob type situation though.

I think Leo comes back unless he has a crazy good year, but I'd be really upset at our coaches if lost him after only 2 seasons.

1bigdawg
02-04-2017, 09:03 AM
I think Leo comes back unless he has a crazy good year, but I'd be really upset at our coaches if lost him after only 2 seasons.

Right. There is no reason to redshirt guys that have a good chance of going pro after three or four years. Even a little experience as a true freshman will help develop them.

Tbonewannabe
02-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Our RBs are also in a better situation now. Kylin could very well be a 3 year player.

defiantdog
02-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Right. There is no reason to redshirt guys that have a good chance of going pro after three or four years. Even a little experience as a true freshman will help develop them.

Leo was out of shape and needed the redshirt. It was also his decision to redshirt..... he could have said no. It was a good decision to get in shape then become the best freshmen linebacker the following season.

HSVDawg
02-04-2017, 11:23 AM
More like looks like a lot of processing next season. I'm assuming that after this class we're back to 85 or pretty close to it. My guess is we will sign 25 again next year if we can.

I haven't counted but I think we are still 4-5 short of the 85. And will be shorter than that if guys like Ellis and Cooper don't make it. And yes, there will be a lot of processing coming up. Most of it will probably happen between spring practice and fall camp, although hopefully we can push some of it out until after December.

Jarius
02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Leo was out of shape and needed the redshirt. It was also his decision to redshirt..... he could have said no. It was a good decision to get in shape then become the best freshmen linebacker the following season.
If he leaves early it was not a good decision to redshirt him. If he would have just made 1 play during the redshirt year it's worth it because you are getting zero plays from him after he leaves early. Him out of shape is better than our second team players in shape.

Homedawg
02-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I haven't counted but I think we are still 4-5 short of the 85. And will be shorter than that if guys like Ellis and Cooper don't make it. And yes, there will be a lot of processing coming up. Most of it will probably happen between spring practice and fall camp, although hopefully we can push some of it out until after December.
We think cooper is going to make it. At least has a very legitimate shot if he does what he should do.

msstate7
02-04-2017, 11:38 AM
We think cooper is going to make it. At least has a very legitimate shot if he does what he should do.

Excellent news. Elliss really long shot?

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 11:39 AM

That would be a great "problem" to have! It would mean that we actually got some JUCOs that are ready to come in right off the bat and play at a high level. Because its unlikely that those guys will get decent draft grades by being non-factors until November.

Ari Gold
02-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Excellent news. Elliss really long shot?

Ellis will prob get in as well

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 11:44 AM

I personally don't mind losing a guy after their JR year (RS or not) if they actually have a good draft grade say like a McKinney but it is so defeating to lose guys like Wilson and Brown (one RS and one didn't) to the draft as Juniors when they have no real shot to get drafted and make an NFL team. Now losing a guy after a RS SO year would really sting, but so far we haven't had that happen to us.

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Ellis will prob get in as well

If all make it except for Duke Collins that would be EXCELLENT!

lamont
02-04-2017, 12:32 PM

Yep- Ive been saying it all along. 2018 is our shot again. All the swing games at home- Bama, OM, and LSU on the road.

2 talented QB's and experience at every position group. Just comes down to our talent on the OL, WR, and in the Secondary

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Yep- Ive been saying it all along. 2018 is our shot again. All the swing games at home- Bama, OM, and LSU on the road.

2 talented QB's and experience at every position group. Just comes down to our talent on the OL, WR, and in the Secondary

OL should have three experienced seniors on it in 2018- Jenkins who I think has a chance at the NFL if he stays healthy, Story, and Calhoun. Champion should start as well and he was a four star guy in HS. Phillips will be a junior but who knows if he will ever contribute? Ronald Cochran will be a senior in 2018 but I'm not sure where he fits in. Signing only three HS o-linemen in 2015 could kill us yet again as Daryl Williams may not ever play again leaving us with really only Harrison Moon out of that class. Really need to get an instant impact JUCO OT and have them be able to come in and play right away or hope that Greg Eiland can take over as a sophomore.

WR should be a good group for us in 2018- Couch will be a junior and Reggie Todd will be a redshirt sophomore. Then we add in Malik Heath who could help us out as a freshman. Malik Dear will be a senior in the slot and then Deddrick Thomas and Keith Mixon will be juniors that can play the slot. Maybe Nero Nelson plays some slot if he isn't at CB.

In the secondary I'm only worried about the CB spot opposite Jamal Peters. Abrams, Cole, and McLaurin should be a good group of safeties. Jaquarius Landrews should be able to help and Cam Dantzler and CJ Morgan-Walker have looked good in practice. As I said above Nelson might figure in at the other CB spot as well. Hopefully Chris Stamps stays healthy and Chris Rayford steps his game up.

lamont
02-04-2017, 01:26 PM
I think Phillips will be better than Champion in 2018 based off what I have seen and heard from others

justwin
02-04-2017, 01:37 PM

don't underestimate 2017 just yet. We have LSU @ home which is winnable considering no small RBs/Shump stalling our O or Sirmon. All we have to do is stop Guice as he's going to get it ~40 times & all LSU has in 2017. Stop him, we win...easier said than done. Then, we'll split UGA/Aub & potentially win 6 of remaining 7 with Bama @ home. LSU is the key though and we should be 2-1 vs LSU last 3 games.

justwin
02-04-2017, 01:43 PM
OL should have three experienced seniors on it in 2018-

the more I think about it, I think coaches plan for 2017 OL left to right is Rankin (sr), Jenkins (jr), Calhoun (jr), Champion(jr), Phillips (jr). 2nd team is Reese, Parker, Eiland, Moon, Story, Williams. In 2018, you have 4 returning senior starters with Suggs stepping in a LT.

These next 6 months are critical for Champion & Phillips for them to get in shape. Learning curve shouldn't be as bad due to larger RBs we'll have. I've read so many mixed things on Phillips that I don't know what to believe...I tend to think he's raw, massive, but motivated to be at his dream school now.

justwin
02-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I think Phillips will be better than Champion in 2018 based off what I have seen and heard from others

elaborate. do you think Champion is ever a starter @ MSU? Is Champion a RG?

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 01:52 PM

That's very encouraging to me. I am glad that he got into school early and started going to work over bowl practices. We really need one of the two between Champion and Phillips to take a spot this year.

lamont
02-04-2017, 01:56 PM
don't underestimate 2017 just yet. We have LSU @ home which is winnable considering no small RBs/Shump stalling our O or Sirmon. All we have to do is stop Guice as he's going to get it ~40 times & all LSU has in 2017. Stop him, we win...easier said than done. Then, we'll split UGA/Aub & potentially win 6 of remaining 7 with Bama @ home. LSU is the key though and we should be 2-1 vs LSU last 3 games.

LSU is changing offenses this Spring. Etling has some WR's to throw to also- and with their new Spread OC- they will probably use Brandon Harris correctly for the 1st time. They will be alot more than just Guice and very hard to handle

lamont
02-04-2017, 01:57 PM
That's very encouraging to me. I am glad that he got into school early and started going to work over bowl practices. We really need one of the two between Champion and Phillips to take a spot this year.

I will be surprised if Phillips plays in 2017- but another year of growth will help him figure out how to use his talent.

lamont
02-04-2017, 01:59 PM
elaborate. do you think Champion is ever a starter @ MSU? Is Champion a RG?

I was told- "Champion must have been signed to appease Glen. If he starts for them they are in trouble"

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I will be surprised if Phillips plays in 2017- but another year of growth will help him figure out how to use his talent.

Well then that's not so encouraging to me. Glad Hevesy's lazy ass is going to screw us yet again in 2017.

lamont
02-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Well then that's not so encouraging to me. Glad Hevesy's lazy ass is going to screw us yet again in 2017.

Phillips has some talent- he just isnt a "plug and play". He's a project. Most teams dont want a project coming out of juco- apparently we do

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Phillips has some talent- he just isnt a "plug and play". He's a project. Most teams dont want a project coming out of juco- apparently we do

Too many misses on both the high school and JUCO ranks.

msstate7
02-04-2017, 02:40 PM
SMH @ already declaring champion a bust before he ever takes a snap. Champion was a 4* out of HS and shows offers from bama, ark, Houston, WV, and Iowa state this year. Maybe he won't pan out, but I trust real college coach evaluations over 3rd hand message board talk

maroonmania
02-04-2017, 02:49 PM

I'm not really sure who we have on our OL who did NOT come in as a project. I mean we thought Rankin wasn't but turns out he was. I mean there is a reason none of Hevesy's guys ever get drafted.

lamont
02-04-2017, 02:53 PM
SMH @ already declaring champion a bust before he ever takes a snap. Champion was a 4* out of HS and shows offers from bama, ark, Houston, WV, and Iowa state this year. Maybe he won't pan out, but I trust real college coach evaluations over 3rd hand message board talk

I'm not giving you 3rd hand message board talk. I'm giving you firsthand quotes from someone that coached against Champion. "He wouldnt have started for 1/2 the teams in the state this past year". I've also watched Phillips play myself- so you are getting firsthand info there.

You trusted Hev on Joquell Johnson, Jordan Harris, Jake Thomas, Kent Flowers, Cole Carter, Dylan Holley, Daniel Knox, Nick Redmond, and Joey Trapp too.

msstate7
02-04-2017, 02:56 PM
I'm not giving you 3rd hand message board talk. I'm giving you firsthand quotes from someone that coached against Champion. "He wouldnt have started for 1/2 the teams in the state this past year". I've also watched Phillips play myself- so you are getting firsthand info there.

You trusted Hev on Joquell Johnson, Jordan Harris, Jake Thomas, Kent Flowers, Cole Carter, Dylan Holley, Daniel Knox, Nick Redmond, and Joey Trapp too.

So, you put champion on the level of the ones you listed above. If he plays any significant time, you were wrong.

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
I'm not really sure who we have on our OL who did NOT come in as a project. I mean we thought Rankin wasn't but turns out he was. I mean there is a reason none of Hevesy's guys ever get drafted.

I still don't believe he was worse than Warren. Even at that stage.

lamont
02-04-2017, 03:13 PM
So, you put champion on the level of the ones you listed above. If he plays any significant time, you were wrong.

Wrong about what? I'm telling you what people are saying about Champion. I havent watched one second of him to be wrong about anything.

KB21
02-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Some can't get past the agenda they want to push.

lamont
02-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Some can't get past the agenda they want to push.

Yep- my agenda had us go 5-7 this year in the regular season.
My agenda was the reason our pass D was so bad when I kept telling people losing Cleveland and Jiles was going to hurt us badly
My agenda made Holloway the starting TB until he got hurt in 2016
My agenda showed our lack of talent at WR
My agenda was what made Fitz a better runner than Dakota Prescott

And lastly- its my agenda thats the reason we should be pretty damn good in 2018

dawgday166
02-04-2017, 05:03 PM

I might believe all the other offers but ain't no way Saban offered him. Folks need to be more careful about thowing out the "offer from Bama" phrase. Just because Bama may have been in his list of team interests on 247, Scout, or whereever, doesn't mean they offered.

I don't look at all films on kids but I did Champion's and wasn't overly impressed ... maybe just a tad quicker, yet smaller version of Eiland. Probably the two best looking films I've seen on kids have been Lashley & Rankin. They both were big, not fat and could move. Lashley was a very, very last minute take by Saban ... and may never see the field on Saturdays. Too early to tell.

Champion may end up being a decent or even good OLineman for us, but playing for Saban is in a different category when talking Olinemen.

Now 7, I'll admit I'm wrong if you can prove he had that offer ... but I don't think so.