PDA

View Full Version : This may be old news, but saw on twitter the SEC payout ...

IMissJack
02-03-2017, 09:28 PM
2013-2014- $21M per school
2014-2015- $32.7M per school
2015-2016- $40.4M per school

I haven't verified these numbers, just something I saw. The growth has been amazing. How much higher can it go? Lot's of people cutting cable.

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 09:36 PM
There's not enough money to pay players though.*** Keep telling yourself that but while you're at it do some math.

TimberBeast
02-03-2017, 10:38 PM
There's not enough money to pay players though.*** Keep telling yourself that but while you're at it do some math.

The point isn't that there isn't enough money to pay them. If you pay players you kill college football, is that what you want?

preachermatt83
02-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Gotta pay every athlete evenly. Can't afford to do that.

MetEdDawg
02-03-2017, 11:08 PM

That's why Title XI will prevent payment. I think it's a good thing to be honest that Title XI prevents it. But there's very few universities that can afford to pay all athletes in every sport.

Leroy Jenkins
02-03-2017, 11:17 PM

So shortsighted.

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 08:03 AM

You obviously didn't do the math. If we have 200 scholarship athletes you could pay them up to $50k per for $10million dollars. There's no reason they shouldn't be getting $20-25k for all the work they do and revenue they bring in.

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to say: it's coming.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18616780/ncaa-agrees-historic-209m-settlement-scholarship-shortages

fader2103
02-04-2017, 09:08 AM
I only make 28K a year. I don't think an 18 year old should make just anything to go to school for free and play football. These kids get a FREE education, 1,000 of dollars of free Addidas merchandise, if the get hurt all the medical bills paid, free food, plus what they get for signing on the dotted line , and numerous money handshakes by big money boosters. I don't care what you say they get cars for free also. So no don't pay them a dime.

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 09:25 AM
I only make 28K a year. I don't think an 18 year old should make just anything to go to school for free and play football. These kids get a FREE education, 1,000 of dollars of free Addidas merchandise, if the get hurt all the medical bills paid, free food, plus what they get for signing on the dotted line , and numerous money handshakes by big money boosters. I don't care what you say they get cars for free also. So no don't pay them a dime.

Sucks for you.

But when they get caught doing all of those things they lose years of eligibility that they can never get back. Plus, is that what we are teaching at our institutions of higher learning: break rules to be fairly compensated for your skills and labor?!?

If they had any other skill other than athletics like ballet, musical performance, app design, etc. they would be able to get their full scholarship and make money on the side. I believe any university that prohibits their athletes from working other jobs should at the very least pay them minimum wage for their hours in the weight room, position group class, meetings, and other things that are required by the program in order to play.

And they should be able to send that money home to pay for momma's light bill (Tunsil) or buy diapers for their two kids (Bowie). That way it brings compensation above board and actually makes recruiting a little more transparent and equitable.

sleepy dawg
02-04-2017, 10:23 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/60/b5/0c/60b50c0aeaf5b8e56dd183a8b28e5027.jpg

Lance Harbor
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM

You should be as talented as an SEC football player. You don't generate that kind of revenue.

lamont
02-04-2017, 12:53 PM
You guys realize players already get money every month from their scholarship right? Something around 2K/month to live on

Well, except baseball players because they are getting ****ed over by Title IX

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2017, 01:12 PM

They are already getting paid, and paid well. A college education isn't cheap.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
You obviously didn't do the math. If we have 200 scholarship athletes you could pay them up to $50k per for $10million dollars. There's no reason they shouldn't be getting $20-25k for all the work they do and revenue they bring in.
They already are getting upwards of 25k

Dawg61
02-04-2017, 03:04 PM
I think the best solution is to put aside 100k for each D1 athlete and they get that money the day they graduate. It gives them incentive to stay in school and get their degree and it gives them a nice start in life after college. Imagine graduating with 100k instead of being in debt 100k like the majority of college grads right now. Huge advantage for those players. After that though it's real world time for them. No more money no more handouts unless you earn it.

lamont
02-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I think the best solution is to put aside 100k for each D1 athlete and they get that money the day they graduate. It gives them incentive to stay in school and get their degree and it gives them a nice start in life after college. Imagine graduating with 100k instead of being in debt 100k like the majority of college grads right now. Huge advantage for those players. After that though it's real world time for them. No more money no more handouts unless you earn it.

They already get over 100K while they are in college. Over 125K if they redshirt

Reason2succeed
02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
I know they recently started geting a stipend but I've NEVER heard of this 100k. Please site a source.

And by the way a college education isn't a handout for college athletes. They are "earning" their scholarship. I would argue the football team earned $40m this year. If not why don't we go get any old 18 years for our football program.

lamont
02-04-2017, 06:26 PM
I know they recently started geting a stipend but I've NEVER heard of this 100k. Please site a source.

They get over 2K per month for 12 months- that about 25K a year. 25K x 4= 100K. If they go 5 years- 125K

Its not hard math to do

Todd4State
02-04-2017, 06:51 PM
They get over 2K per month for 12 months- that about 25K a year. 25K x 4= 100K. If they go 5 years- 125K

Its not hard math to do

With no bills and free food of they choose to stay in the dorms. Except for maybe a phone bill and credit card if they have one.

IMissJack
02-04-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm against it as well. Call me a traditionalist, but I still believe a university should have education as its priority. I also think that paying anything like a salary will just lead to other issues, ie. A QB should get more than a deep snapper, a 1000 yd rusher should get more than a guard, the cost of living is more in Los Angeles than Starkville, MS, etc. It will be a never ending series of litigation and abuse.

LilSebastian
02-05-2017, 12:57 AM

I was a TA for a class with a lot of student athletes a few years ago. Its hard to explain how "taped together" the football players are. I'd have some come to class strung out of their minds on painkillers, in walking boots and barely able to walk. I still watch and cheer but I don't ever watch a young man take or deliver a hit without knowing that he is going to pay for that the rest of his life. For me it's not that college isn't valuable, or that football is too dangerous, it's that these largely vulnerable men don't really have a choice otherwise. The two-year rule forces them into a semi-amateur system where a bunch of old white dudes can live vicariously through them and make a living, while the athletes have to bare the injuries for a degree they probably don't care about.

Also, no Mississippi State student-athlete has a damn thing to do with you making 28k a year. If you want to make more ask for a raise, or get a new job, or campaign for leaders who will take care of you better economically.

Reason2succeed
02-05-2017, 01:04 AM
I was a TA for a class with a lot of student athletes a few years ago. Its hard to explain how "taped together" the football players are. I'd have some come to class strung out of their minds on painkillers, in walking boots and barely able to walk. I still watch and cheer but I don't ever watch a young man take or deliver a hit without knowing that he is going to pay for that the rest of his life. For me it's not that college isn't valuable, or that football is too dangerous, it's that these largely vulnerable men don't really have a choice otherwise. The two-year rule forces them into a semi-amateur system where a bunch of old white dudes can live vicariously through them and make a living, while the athletes have to bare the injuries for a degree they probably don't care about.

Also, no Mississippi State student-athlete has a damn thing to do with you making 28k a year. If you want to make more ask for a raise, or get a new job, or campaign for leaders who will take care of you better economically.

https://media.tenor.co/images/d9c2ecddc46604d75dd58151ed415ffa/raw

And it was kind of inconvenient to end slavery and to get rid of child labor but guess what mature people did? They figured it out. There's a butt load of money coming in and you're worried about litigation.* Guess what? There's already litigation.

TUSK
02-05-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm not as educated on this subject as most of you cats... but my big "hang up" is that the athletes aren't allowed to go to the NFL right outta HS...

If they are developed enough, and can handle it, and want to take the risk, they shouldn't be barred from earning a living at their trade.

However, the selfish Bammer in me wishes they had to play 4 years in college instead of only 3...

For the most part, I think they probably get "enough", already...

sleepy dawg
02-05-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm against it as well. Call me a traditionalist, but I still believe a university should have education as its priority. I also think that paying anything like a salary will just lead to other issues, ie. A QB should get more than a deep snapper, a 1000 yd rusher should get more than a guard, the cost of living is more in Los Angeles than Starkville, MS, etc. It will be a never ending series of litigation and abuse.

Schools already pay students. Plenty of students work for the university and earn a check for doing so. Just b/c the product is entertainment, doesn't make it any less of a job/work. They did the work, the employer gets the money from their work, they should get paid from their employer like the rest of us. I don't even understand how this a debate. It is insane that they have even found a way to call this legal. Scholarships are a nice benefit, but that's what they are, a benefit, not legal tender that can be spent... more similar to pension, or tuition reimbursement by an employer.

Reason2succeed
02-05-2017, 03:30 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/04/news/companies/extra-cash-college-athletes/

This article states that they started giving cost of attendance stipends of around $5k per year back in 2015. Please tell me where guys are getting $100k upon graduation or $25k per year.

IMissJack
02-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Please note the original post by me had nothing to do with paying student athletes. It was just to post SEC money given to schools.