PDA

View Full Version : Austin Williams

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
In all the hubbub about DD Bowie and other WRs we missed on I haven't heard much about this guy. No, he does not have elite speed but what I see on his tape is great route running that gets him open and the ability to catch with his hands away from his body in major traffic. His QB just chunks 50/50 balls his way and has confidence this kid is going to get it. Also, he doesn't mind throwing a mean block which we know Mullen appreciates .

I can see him being a possession receiver that keeps chains moving for us. With our lack of big receivers I would not be surprised if we looked up this fall and this 6'3 guy was on the two deep at an outside receiver spot.

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3385505/5721e71019a53e2a18871664

Tbonewannabe
02-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Is he the next great Welker / Beasley?

Doggie_Style
02-03-2017, 02:17 PM
In all the hubbub about DD Bowie and other WRs we missed on I haven't heard much about this guy. No, he does not have elite speed but what I see on his tape is great route running that gets him open and the ability to catch with his hands away from his body in major traffic. His QB just chunks 50/50 balls his way and has confidence this kid is going to get it. Also, he doesn't mind throwing a mean block which we know Mullen appreciates .

I can see him being a possession receiver that keeps chains moving for us. With our lack of big receivers I would not be surprised if we looked up this fall and this 6'3 guy was on the two deep at an outside receiver spot.

So you are saying he won't redshirt?

klong-dog
02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
I'd say he's more comparable to Eric Decker. Or back in the day, Ed McCaffrey.

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 02:24 PM
So you are saying he won't redshirt?

I have no idea but for a team that desperately needs big receivers for the outside I think he has a chance to get some PT if he proves he can move the chains as I said above.

TrapGame

I'd love for us to develop a strong Wes Welker type WR.

WSOPdawg
I'd say he's more comparable to Eric Decker. Or back in the day, Ed McCaffrey.

While I don't like him as a mouthpiece on the SEC network, what about Chris Doehring, who was a dynamite WR at Florida back in the day?

preachermatt83
02-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Ppl use the "possession reciever" moniker negatively and that's just crazy. Possession receivers are huge!

Homedawg
02-03-2017, 04:34 PM

The only thing he has in common w those 2 is they are all white receivers.

Hot Rock
02-03-2017, 04:35 PM
If he catches what comes his way, then that is huge!!! You get an accurate passer and a guy that catches the ball. You got something going on there.

Blowing the top off the defense is great, but what makes a great WR is one that catches everything that comes his way. YAC and YPR are game changers for sure but it starts with the catch.

I see Jerry Rice as a possession receiver and he may have been the greatest WR of all time. His speed wasn't blow by speed. Randy Moss was the ultimate talent but production counts.

Coursesuper
02-03-2017, 04:40 PM
I've watched him play several times, big kid, really good set of hands, not fast but runs great routes. He is going to need a redshirt, kinda raw, not real sure where he fits on the field he is fast enough to be a real matchup problem as a flex tight end.

preachermatt83
02-03-2017, 04:43 PM
If he catches what comes his way, then that is huge!!! You get an accurate passer and a guy that catches the ball. You got something going on there.

Blowing the top off the defense is great, but what makes a great WR is one that catches everything that comes his way. YAC and YPR are game changers for sure but it starts with the catch.

I see Jerry Rice as a possession receiver and he may have been the greatest WR of all time. His speed wasn't blow by speed. Randy Moss was the ultimate talent but production counts.

Post more

MzTerry
02-03-2017, 04:46 PM
I've watched him play several times, big kid, really good set of hands, not fast but runs great routes. He is going to need a redshirt, kinda raw, not real sure where he fits on the field he is fast enough to be a real matchup problem as a flex tight end.

I'm truly not trying to be a smartass, but if a receiver runs great routes and has great hands, how are they raw? Do you mean physically, like he needs to hit the weightroom or what?

Coursesuper
02-03-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm truly not trying to be a smartass, but if a receiver runs great routes and has great hands, how are they raw? Do you mean physically, like he needs to hit the weightroom or what?

He played in a wing T offense in high school, he's raw. Having hands and running your routes exactly as you are asked to at Ocean Springs high and doing in the SEC west are worlds apart. He needs time but there is potential there.

maroonmania
02-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Ppl use the "possession reciever" moniker negatively and that's just crazy. Possession receivers are huge!

Nothing wrong with having "possession receivers" but you do need a couple of big playmakers and that is what we are missing right now.

Cooterpoot
02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Very similar to Gus Walley.