PDA

View Full Version : OT: SHRIMP

dawgman
02-03-2017, 12:49 PM
The wife is tired of Asian farm raised shrimp. She wants Gulf shrimp, but they are not available here. We are going to be in Birmingham this weekend. Does anyone know of a good seafood market in Birmingham. I know Birmingham is not the coast. I know it ain't the best time of year for shrimp but I need to try to keep her happy. I appreciate any help you can give.

Martianlander
02-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Don't know about Birmingham, hopefully some of the guys around there can tell you, but usually you can go to one of the big chain stores like Kroger and tell them you want domestic shrimp, not imported, and normally they have it and have it labeled as such. May be frozen so not quite as good as fresh but still not bad.

bhamdawgfan
02-03-2017, 01:28 PM
The wife is tired of Asian farm raised shrimp. She wants Gulf shrimp, but they are not available here. We are going to be in Birmingham this weekend. Does anyone know of a good seafood market in Birmingham. I know Birmingham is not the coast. I know it ain't the best time of year for shrimp but I need to try to keep her happy. I appreciate any help you can give.

Snapper Grabbers - Hwy 31 in Vestavia. Easy to find. Top notch quality. Can also go to Fish Market in Southside, but I prefer Snapper Grabbers.

BrunswickDawg
02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Not Gulf Shrimp - but Wild Georgia Shrimp. A place here does mail order of what they call IQF (Individually Quick Frozen). You can get 5 lbs. of Large for $50. http://www.poteetseafoodcompany.com/
Much better than Asian, but not quite as good as fresh, never frozen.

Someone on the Gulf has to be doing the same thing.

defiantdog
02-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Sexton's Seafood in Cahaba..... 3164 Heights Village, Birmingham, AL 35243...... phone #: (205) 967-3437.

The wife is from Lafayette, so we go there about once a month a get Louisiana crawfish. We've also bought Gulf Shrimp there..... it's a little more pricey but worth it.

AROB44
02-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Would give up eating shrimp before I would eat imported ones. You never know what was in the water they were raised in.

MetEdDawg
02-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Snapper Grabbers - Hwy 31 in Vestavia. Easy to find. Top notch quality. Can also go to Fish Market in Southside, but I prefer Snapper Grabbers.

I'll second this. When my family gets seafood, this is where we go.

Bamboo
02-04-2017, 12:46 PM
While we are on the topic of shrimp, what is the story on royal reds? Can you buy those anywhere in Atlanta?

Also surprised that 99% of the people that I bring up Royal reds have never heard of them.

BeastMan
02-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Not Gulf Shrimp - but Wild Georgia Shrimp. A place here does mail order of what they call IQF (Individually Quick Frozen). You can get 5 lbs. of Large for $50. http://www.poteetseafoodcompany.com/
Much better than Asian, but not quite as good as fresh, never frozen.

Someone on the Gulf has to be doing the same thing.

I'm in the food business and IQF gets a bad name. People turn their nose up at frozen seafood automatically and they shouldn't. IQF seafood is better than fresh, never frozen after a few days. If you live 2+ hours from the water, your seafood boat to table is 2 days best case scenario. You might be buying it on day 3 or 4.... If I buy fresh seafood it's to cook immediately. IQF guarantees you're getting a good piece of seafood on your table. It doesn't beat it off the boat but if you're not on the water it's a solid option.

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm in the food business and IQF gets a bad name. People turn their nose up at frozen seafood automatically and they shouldn't. IQF seafood is better than fresh, never frozen after a few days. If you live 2+ hours from the water, your seafood boat to table is 2 days best case scenario. You might be buying it on day 3 or 4.... If I buy fresh seafood it's to cook immediately. IQF guarantees you're getting a good piece of seafood on your table. It doesn't beat it off the boat but if you're not on the water it's a solid option.
Oh, no doubt, it's good stuff - but I'm spoiled because I can get it right off the boat :)

BeastMan
02-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Oh, no doubt, it's good stuff - but I'm spoiled because I can get it right off the boat :)

If lived on the water, it's the only way I'd do it