PDA

View Full Version : Impactful Redshirt Freshmen

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 08:25 AM
This time of year in addition to fawning over who we just signed I also like to go back and look at Last year's recruiting class and take a look at the guys who redishirted and how they may contribute the year.

Who do you all see as the most impactful redshirt freshman? My pick is Dantzler because we need so much help at corner but we didn't prioritize it in recruiting this year. I'm praying the coaches know something.

My second pick is Reggie Todd. Since he signed last summer I've been excited about his size, elusiveness; and ability to high point the football.

msstate7
02-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Thompson
Reese

smootness
02-03-2017, 08:46 AM
I think Dantzler and Todd are two clear picks for this.

CadaverDawg
02-03-2017, 09:11 AM
I agree that based on what people have said Todd, Dantzler, and Reese are all guys I'm interested in seeing this year....I would also throw in Errol Thompson. That is a LB that Bama would have taken if I'm not mistaken...which means he's probably a playmaker.

I also thought CJ Morgan-Walker might be a guy that could get some playing time in our secondary based on what I saw of him on film and in that All Star game. Has anybody heard much about him from practice reports during the season? I haven't, so maybe I was off.

ETA: I'd love for someone to breakdown the type of WR Mitchell and Todd are. I know little about either. I've heard Todd is a big X guy...is that true? What about Mitchell? Any impact next year from him?

Shooter McGavin
02-03-2017, 09:40 AM
I concur. Reese, Dantzler, and Todd are the 3. Didn't injuries slow down Morgan-Walker or was that Dantzler? I know one of them had some lingering injury over this past season.

KB21
02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
I think we have some guys that played who will improve in their second year: Jamal Couch, Marquis Spencer, Jeffrey Simmons

KentuckyDawg13
02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Tim Washington

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Erroll Thompson
Cam Dantzler
Reggie Todd
Stewart Reese
Kobe Jones

lamont
02-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Most impactful:

Washington, Thompson, Jones

Ones that BETTER make an impact or we will be in trouble?

Todd, Reese, Dantzler

msstate7
02-03-2017, 10:21 AM
I think we have some guys that played who will improve in their second year: Jamal Couch, Marquis Spencer, Jeffrey Simmons

I'd add mixon to that list also. Unless dear comes in to the fall in much better shape, I expect mixon to pass him by. I also wouldn't be surprised if Myles comes back to the slot and has nice year

maroonmania
02-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Going to take a very impactful guy at CB next year to get much playing time. We are knee deep in upperclassmen with experience at that position. Next year at one corner you could have Durr/Cleveland/Rayford and at the other corner Graham/Peters/Smitherman and then Stamps could get into the mix as well. At least for next year CB seems to be one of our deepest positions. Now there may be more quantity than quality but there are lots of guys available with experience.

Reggie Todd to me is the obvious pick because we are so thin at outside receiver both in quality and in numbers. Even Osirus Mitchell could make a significant impact if he has good hands and speed. Reese seems to be a cut above for us as a RSFR OL so he could sneak into the 2 deep but there are a lot of bodies there.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Tim Washington will be a RS Soph

lamont
02-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Problem is our talent at CB is lacking.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2017, 10:42 AM
My best guess for starting O-line right now is:

LT: Rankin
LG: Story
C: Calhoun
RG: Reese
RT: Jenkins

So yeah, we need Reese to be ready to go.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2017, 10:43 AM

I think we just need to roll with Peters and Dantzler at corner. At least these 2 guys have some length and some talent. Durr will play. And Cleveland will play. Not sure about any of the other guys.

Jarius
02-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Not a RS freshman, but I am Curious to know how Fletcher Adams fits in to our new system. What position will he play?

HoopsDawg
02-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Not a RS freshman, but I am Curious to know how Fletcher Adams fits in to our new system. What position will he play?

DE all the way.

the59dawg
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
This is it!

the59dawg
02-03-2017, 11:33 AM
I think we just need to roll with Peters and Dantzler at corner. At least these 2 guys have some length and some talent. Durr will play. And Cleveland will play. Not sure about any of the other guys.

Unless Cleveland learned how to play while recouping last yr, how will he help? Can't tackle, can't cover.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Unless Cleveland learned how to play while recouping last yr, how will he help? Can't tackle, can't cover.

He's a 5th year senior. He would have been our best corner last year. He will play. My point is, I hope Peters and Dantzler earn the right to start and the coaches start them and let them play the majority of snaps. Also, I don't want to see 6 corners playing. 4 is enough. Hopefully Landrews can win the nickel corner position.

maroonmania
02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
He's a 5th year senior. He would have been our best corner last year. He will play. My point is, I hope Peters and Dantzler earn the right to start and the coaches start them and let them play the majority of snaps. Also, I don't want to see 6 corners playing. 4 is enough. Hopefully Landrews can win the nickel corner position.

I agree we don't have the most talented guys at CB but it always amazes me that we are ready to anoint a guy like Dantzler as a starter in the SEC without ever having seen him play one snap of college football. I personally think Durr and Peters will be the starters with everyone else trying to win the backup roles. But as much as Cleveland and Graham have played over their careers they are going to get some time on the field for sure (assuming Graham isn't in too much trouble with his DUI). Now if Dantzler is truly good enough to earn a starting job at CB then more power to him.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2017, 12:16 PM
I agree we don't have the most talented guys at CB but it always amazes me that we are ready to anoint a guy like Dantzler as a starter in the SEC without ever having seen him play one snap of college football. I personally think Durr and Peters will be the starters with everyone else trying to win the backup roles. But as much as Cleveland and Graham have played over their careers they are going to get some time on the field for sure (assuming Graham isn't in too much trouble with his DUI). Now if Dantzler is truly good enough to earn a starting job at CB then more power to him.

I'm not anointing, I'm just hoping. There's a lot of talk about him from the coaches and players.

Shooter McGavin
02-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I think Dantzler would have played this year if not for an injury. I agree anointing him a starter now is premature, but as Hoops said he has been drawing praise from players, coaches, and IYOK(Dan). He will get every opportunity to play.

I forgot about Kobe Jones too. He's definitely one to watch.

Reason2succeed
02-03-2017, 12:36 PM
So basically what I'm hearing there is going to be a lot of competition for PT this spring, summer, and fall. I hope we have one of those Dak or Balis summers when it seemed like everyone got noticeably better.
M

chef dixon
02-03-2017, 12:37 PM
What about Korey Charles? Dude is supposed to be a good player I assume