PDA

View Full Version : 16-14

preachermatt83
02-02-2017, 02:54 PM
That's gonna be our final regular season record in yr 2 of Howland. 2 games better than last year. We were 7-11 in the Sec. We will be the same this year. I expect a big jump next year.

mparkerfd20
02-02-2017, 03:02 PM
I do not. Father forgive me, but I'm losing faith.

HSVDawg
02-02-2017, 03:02 PM
That's gonna be our final regular season record in yr 2 of Howland. 2 games better than last year. We were 7-11 in the Sec. We will be the same this year. I expect a big jump next year.

Well now we know what the final record is not going to be. So will it be over or under?

jumbo
02-02-2017, 03:03 PM
At Northern Arizona

year 1 9-17
year 2 7-19
year 3 21-7 conference champs
year 4 21-8 conference champs
year 5 21-8

at Pitt

year 1 13-15
year 2 19-14
year 3 29-6 conference champs
year 4 28-5 conference champs

at UCLA

year 1 11-17
year 2 18-11
year 3 32-7 conference champs, final 4, NCAA runner up
year 4 30-6 conference champs, final 4
year 5 35-4 conference champs, final 4

at MSU

year 1 14-17
year 2 13-8 so far.

We are following his career arc perfectly.

jumbo
02-02-2017, 03:05 PM

I've read some dumb posts on message boards before. this is up there.

bobcat91
02-02-2017, 03:14 PM
We have got to get much better down low and are going to have to become more mentally and physically tough before we turn the corner. We are soft as toilet tissue right now.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2017, 03:16 PM
We have got to get much better down low and are going to have to become more mentally and physically tough before we turn the corner. We are soft as toilet tissue right now.

N Weatherspoon, Brooks, & Ado will increase toughness significantly. All are physical guys at their positions based on what Howland says & briefly seeing their film

msstate7
02-02-2017, 03:27 PM
At Northern Arizona

year 1 9-17
year 2 7-19
year 3 21-7 conference champs
year 4 21-8 conference champs
year 5 21-8

at Pitt

year 1 13-15
year 2 19-14
year 3 29-6 conference champs
year 4 28-5 conference champs

at UCLA

year 1 11-17
year 2 18-11
year 3 32-7 conference champs, final 4, NCAA runner up
year 4 30-6 conference champs, final 4
year 5 35-4 conference champs, final 4

at MSU

year 1 14-17
year 2 13-8 so far.

We are following his career arc perfectly.

Despite my melt the other night, I'm still a believer in howland. I do question if the new rules have really hurt his style of defense though. Howland's bread and butter was a rugged, grind it out defense that just isn't allowed anymore

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
N Weatherspoon, Brooks, & Ado will increase toughness significantly. All are physical guys at their positions based on what Howland says & briefly seeing their film

Brooks is already 6'10" 230 and Ado is 6'11 245. Those two will more then likely both average double digit rebounds at their positions. Unless Lamar gets much more consistent and stops turning the ball over, I could see Nick start at PG next year. I think much more importantly though is practice will get much more competitive and our players will have to fight for playing time. I think that is what some of these current freshmen need is a swift kick in the pants in practice and know playing time isn't a given.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Brooks is already 6'10" 230 and Ado is 6'11 245. Those two will more then likely both average double digit rebounds at their positions. Unless Lamar gets much more consistent and stops turning the ball over, I could see Nick start at PG next year. I think much more importantly though is practice will get much more competitive and our players will have to fight for playing time. I think that is what some of these current freshmen need is a swift kick in the pants in practice and know playing time isn't a given.

Good point about competition in practice & for playing time. I agree

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Despite my melt the other night, I'm still a believer in howland. I do question if the new rules have really hurt his style of defense though. Howland's bread and butter was a rugged, grind it out defense that just isn't allowed anymore

What have you seen the past four games that has resembled Howland defense? The players aren't giving effort and are not listening to him in how to play defense. He coaches until he is blue in the face and they still don't play up to their capabilities. This piss poor effort and not listening is on our freshmen. I'm just hoping they have pride in their abilities and turn the corner simply out of embarrassment losing to Ole Miss that bad. We shall see.

MCsMGs
02-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I believe a lot of the problem with our lack of aggressiveness on defense is a function of our players have gotten tentative because of the inconsistent calls. Coach Cal complained vehemently about the officiating when we played them while acknowledging that the calls didn't favor one team or the other, just that they were terribly inconsistent. Our guys seem to be more concerned with not fouling than moving their feet which ends up looking like a lack of effort. Another big problem with our defense is that on the offensive end of the court, our timing between the ball movement and the guys in the post is terrible. That results in not getting the ball to the bigs in a position for them to score and leaves them in a bad position to rebound. Our use of picks is sloppy, timing and spacing on pick and rolls is terrible and passing has been lazy. All of those woes lead to turnovers and getting killed in transition.

DogsofAnarchy
02-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Then you are a damn idiot. If you can understand progress is being made then go be a Rebel.

louisvilledawg
02-02-2017, 05:42 PM

I like your optimism, but I don't think the "avg double digit rebounds at their positions" take is even remotely plausible. There's only one (1) player in the SEC currently averaging MORE THAN 8, Sebastian Saiz, and if (IMO) he had a different shade of blue in his uniform, he would probably be the SEC POY. Don't think Brooks and Ado can avg that type of production.

smootness
02-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Howland has won different ways. His Pitt and early UCLA teams won with tough defense, sure, but his last UCLA team won the P12 with offense. And his team's at Northern Arizona looked nothing like his later teams; they were teams built around the 3. He is a great basketball coach who can adapt to what will work best in his current environment.

Political Hack
02-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Ado alone will help keep our bigs fresh and out of foul trouble. He'll also give us a solid defensive presence in the middle.

BayouDawg
02-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I just hope that we don't see multiple transfers this off season. I'm hoping the poor play isn't due to a bad locker room.

mparkerfd20
02-02-2017, 10:54 PM
n/a