PDA

View Full Version : 2017 recruiting class (MY THOUGHTS) - offense

Westdawg
02-02-2017, 10:56 AM
QB

We hit an absolute homerun with Key Thompson. Arguably the BEST fit personnel-wise in the country for Mullen's system. and one of the best QBs in this class, period. Top it off with a really good 3* walk-on from Cali that had his senior season cut way too short because of an injury, and who wants to learn under Mullen, and we get some needed depth, as well.

RB

Again, we hit a homerun with Kylin Hill. This guy was the best RB on the field in this state, and in the MS-AL all-star game, and probably in the entire southeast. Gonna be fun watching him bust some yards toting the rock in the next couple years.

OL

If, IF, we can get all 5 of these guys on campus this summer, then we made some decent strides. We have most definitely increased the length and size of the linemen these past couple of cycles. really like the direction we are headed (albeit, slowly) at OL recruiting this past couple years.

Tommy Champion 6'5 330 he needs to come in and be a monster, and i hope he legitimately can claim a spot in the starting 5
getting to campus early for spring will help tremendously in this regard
Josh Cooper 6'7 355 he will need at least a RS and another year to develop. He has definitely got the size and strength, but
needs to get into SEC shape
Tyre Phillips 6'5 355 this is another major get from the juco ranks. like Champion, the fact he gets here for spring helps the
possibility of him learning the offense and hopefully he catches on quickly and can push for PT
M. Richardson 6'7 300 dude has got great length. he has really good feet for his size. here's to hoping we found a true option
for a starting OT in the next couple years. will most likely RS to adjust to SEC football
Cordavien Suggs 6'6 285 great size and no bad weight on him. really great hips and feet for lateral movement at OT. this guy will
probably do really well at an OT spot in the coming year or two. he and Montravious are future @ OT

WR

Austin Williams 6'2 200 austin is one of those guys that won't hurt you. he's going to be a really good possession receiver and
will be decent in the run blocking portion of his game. From what i know (which is little) he is not a
"burner", but he does all the little things very well, and that will translate to a really good receiver
for us in this offense.

overall
i think we addressed some key needs, particularly at QB and OL. we really needed to have found at least one high-valued receiver option aside from Williams, but maybe the coaching staff believes that we will be fine there this year. we got arguably one of the best RBs in the south with Kylin Hill, and hope he really jumps in hard to learn the offense (especially pass pro !***). The OL we got addressed immediate and future needs. would have liked to have found another really strong interior lineman, particularly a guy that could work at C. if the HS guys can finish up strong in the classroom, then we did way above our norm with this group.