PDA

View Full Version : Baseball young pitching

preachermatt83
02-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Coach C is pumped overSelf and Ashcraft. Said Ashcraft is throwing 98-99 regularly and is developing secondary stuff and Self is 93-94 with tons of movement. I really wouldn't be surprised to see either filling a rotation spot!!

Todd4State
02-02-2017, 02:22 AM
I would be surprised if Ashcraft fills a rotation spot personally, but at the same time we need both Ashcraft and Self to step up and be legit as freshmen in the worst way.

I'd keep an eye on Spencer Price. He has pitched very well his last two outings.

msbulldog
02-02-2017, 07:24 AM
I'm just ready for baseball to start.

bulldogcountry1
02-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Any reports from spring practice/scrimmages are appreciated.

BB30
02-02-2017, 10:21 AM
I would be surprised if Ashcraft fills a rotation spot personally, but at the same time we need both Ashcraft and Self to step up and be legit as freshmen in the worst way.

I'd keep an eye on Spencer Price. He has pitched very well his last two outings.

Yes we do. If we can get just one youngster to step up and take a weekend spot and just give us a chance to win we could end up having a decent year. They don't have to be lights out, just pound the zone and give us an opportunity to stay in the game and get it to the bullpen.

preachermatt83
02-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Any reports from spring practice/scrimmages are appreciated.

Skelton is battling Bragg for 3b spot. Bragg looks to finally be trying to find his swing. Pitching is young but explosive.

AlSwearengen
02-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Todd, why do you say that about Ashcraft (not questioning you, I'm just trying to get a handle on who can do what)? Looking at his profile, a couple of publications have him listed in the top 5 of SEC freshmen. I saw that on hailstate.com.

KB21
02-02-2017, 01:42 PM
What time are they scrimmaging Saturday? If I can get out of the clinic on time, I'm going.

msstate7
02-02-2017, 01:57 PM
98-99? Boy, I don't know if that's accurate. Well, I take 98-99 "regularly" to mean, not just completely airing it out. I really hope Ashcraft is throwing that hard though

preachermatt83
02-02-2017, 02:34 PM
98-99? Boy, I don't know if that's accurate. Well, I take 98-99 "regularly" to mean, not just completely airing it out. I really hope Ashcraft is throwing that hard though

Just telling u what canny said in press conference Tuesday.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Coach C is pumped overSelf and Ashcraft. Said Ashcraft is throwing 98-99 regularly and is developing secondary stuff and Self is 93-94 with tons of movement. I really wouldn't be surprised to see either filling a rotation spot!!

Ashcroft throws hard. Hard. But we have hit him pretty well. He hasn't had many stellar outings thusfar. He's going to get thrown in the fire though. Hope he does well. Stuff isn't the question, command is.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Bringing the HEAT. Does it go something like this

https://youtu.be/85RZMIAL7vM

Todd4State
02-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Todd, why do you say that about Ashcraft (not questioning you, I'm just trying to get a handle on who can do what)? Looking at his profile, a couple of publications have him listed in the top 5 of SEC freshmen. I saw that on hailstate.com.

See Homedawg's response as far as my reasoning. Eventually he will be a rotation guy but he has to be able to command more than just his fastball for strikes. I think he is more likely to help us out of the bullpen this year than the rotation. I think he will be kind of like Ethan Small last year. Bring him in when we need a K.

TStationDawg
02-02-2017, 07:51 PM
I only saw one fall scrimmage, but Self was straight DEALING. I was extremely impressed with him. I left thinking he would battle for a weekend spot.

Harrydawg
02-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Guys, aren't our pitchers limited to fastballs and change ups during these early scrimmages? If so, advantage hitters

The Federalist Engineer
02-02-2017, 11:45 PM
See Homedawg's response as far as my reasoning. Eventually he will be a rotation guy but he has to be able to command more than just his fastball for strikes. I think he is more likely to help us out of the bullpen this year than the rotation. I think he will be kind of like Ethan Small last year. Bring him in when we need a K.

When it comes to Ashcraft, we know he was drafted pretty high, had a PG rating of 10, and hit 16-HRs in 2016. That said, his senior year stats in HS seem to indicate he is a developing player - senior season with a 4-3 record and 3.71 ERA, throwing 53 K?s in 49 Innings. So, I see agree that we should expect something similar to Ethan Small as a freshman who got progressively better and had a good Summer.

In the fall, Ashcraft had a 8.49 ERA in 11.67 Innings with 18 Hits and 15 K's. Our players hit 0.340 against him vs. 0.239 against the rest of the staff.

His HS league could be the most challenging in America and his team scored no runs, but usually an MSU recruit comes in with video game stats like a 9-0 record and 0.80 ERA and 80K's in 50 innings. Even the guys with no PG rating.

That said, if Ashcraft becomes MSU's Luken Baker on day-1, I will happily eat every crow in Missouri.

Todd4State
02-03-2017, 12:11 AM
When it comes to Ashcraft, we know he was drafted pretty high, had a PG rating of 10, and hit 16-HRs in 2016. That said, his senior year stats in HS seem to indicate he is a developing player - senior season with a 4-3 record and 3.71 ERA, throwing 53 K?s in 49 Innings. So, I see agree that we should expect something similar to Ethan Small as a freshman who got progressively better and had a good Summer.

In the fall, Ashcraft had a 8.49 ERA in 11.67 Innings with 18 Hits and 15 K's. Our players hit 0.340 against him vs. 0.239 against the rest of the staff.

His HS league could be the most challenging in America and his team scored no runs, but usually an MSU recruit comes in with video game stats like a 9-0 record and 0.80 ERA and 80K's in 50 innings. Even the guys with no PG rating.

That said, if Ashcraft becomes MSU's Luken Baker on day-1, I will happily eat every crow in Missouri.

Yes. The talent is absolutely there but for him to be in our rotation he would have to make a remarkable jump in a very short period of time. I could see him starting midweek possibly- but even that is probably a stretch to be honest with you. I think working out of the bullpen would be good for him because it's a lot easier to pitch to guys one time and just attack them with 98-99 or whatever he throws and he could probably slowly learn and develop some things to the point where he could possibly be in the mix for the rotation next year.

I'm like you though- if he comes out and is Paul Maholm 2.0 I'll have no problem admitting that I am wrong.

People need to remember what Konnor Pilkington was like last year- that's honestly about as good as you could hope for from a college freshman. And Pilkington was basically a five inning and turn it over to the pen guy last year. I think Ashcraft is going to be more like Dakota Hudson- he may struggle for a couple of years but by the time he is a junior he could be an All-SEC type of pitcher that is a first round type of talent if he stays healthy and all goes well.