PDA

View Full Version : WR's going forward

preachermatt83
02-01-2017, 10:16 PM
I think you guys are vastly undervaluing our future WR corps.

Couch
Dear
Gray
Jackson
Mitchell
Myles
Mixon
Thomas
Todd
It is very likely that Johnson moves outside.

Signee:
Austin Williams

Commercecomet24
02-01-2017, 10:21 PM

Couch
Dear
Gray
Jackson
Mitchell
Myles
Mixon
Thomas
Todd

Signee:
Austin Williams

Agree it's a good group and couple that with our stable of tes it looks pretty good.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 10:31 PM
It really depends on how good Todd is. If he's legit, then we are probably fine in the meantime.

lamont
02-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Couch
Dear
Gray
Jackson
Mitchell
Myles
Mixon
Thomas
Todd

Signee:
Austin Williams

Gray finished 22nd in the SEC in receptions, 14th in yards, 13th in TDs...he might be the 15th best WR in the SEC- he loses an All-SEC opposite him to take the heat off and open up some area to work.

Myles was a disaster in 2016 for some reason. He is better than that
Dear/Mixon are solid but in no way standout WR's
Couch caught 9 passes last season. He is not going to go from 9 to 50 catches. Aint happening
Jesse Jackson has yet to make any impact in college football- he wont in 2017 either
Todd redshirted and we have no idea what he brings.
Thomas has done what to date??

Our WR group is 10th-12th in the SEC. Just not a strength

HoopsDawg
02-01-2017, 10:39 PM

Couch
Dear
Gray
Jackson
Mitchell
Myles
Mixon
Thomas
Todd

Signee:
Austin Williams

Congrats on listing the receivers on our roster.

Homedawg
02-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Gray finished 22nd in the SEC in receptions, 14th in yards, 13th in TDs...he might be the 15th best WR in the SEC- he loses an All-SEC opposite him to take the heat off and open up some area to work.

Couch caught 9 passes last season. He is not going to go from 9 to 50 catches. Aint happening
Jesse Jackson has yet to make any impact in college football- he wont in 2017 either

Either we are just plain stupid or our young guys are better than we know. But either way, we are relying on the unknown for sure. Because the known is below avg at best.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 10:44 PM

I actually think Mixon can be a standout if used correctly. That may include some hybrid stuff though.

To me, the key is Todd. Word is he's a real X WR that can go get it. If he is, we are fine

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Either we are just plain stupid or our young guys are better than we know. But either way, we are relying on the unknown for sure. Because the known is below avg at best.

Agree. Word is Todd is legit. We'll find out soon

HoopsDawg
02-01-2017, 10:46 PM

There is a 3rd option, we couldn't sign a top notch receiver so we have to roll with what we've got.

msstate7
02-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Gray and our slot players (hopefully Myles is back at slot) have big play ability. I think couch can fill a spot as a blocking guy. Hopefully Todd or Mitchell can give us some quality snaps.

I think our TEs have a big year next season. Loved how green played down the stretch and really loved the 2 TE sets vs OM. One or more of Johnson, Roberson, and jones could emerge also

Homedawg
02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
There is a 3rd option, we couldn't sign a top notch receiver so we have to roll with what we've got.

True. But we honestly didn't pursue many wr hard. We went after a couple of elite guys. But that's it.

lamont
02-01-2017, 10:58 PM

This is the correct answer.

We are pretty good at TE and hopefully can fix our OL enough to force defenses to have to play the run. Still comes down to our WR's winning one on one match-ups. We wont win enough vs Bama, Auburn, LSU, or Georgia....but the A&M and UPig road games will be interesting. Hopefully we play better D against Kentucky.

A&M, UPig, and Kentucky decide if we are a 5 to 8 win team in 2017

Homedawg
02-01-2017, 11:01 PM
This is the correct answer.

We are pretty good at TE and hopefully can fix our OL enough to force defenses to have to play the run. Still comes down to our WR's winning one on one match-ups. We wont win enough vs Bama, Auburn, LSU, or Georgia....but the A&M and UPig road games will be interesting. Hopefully we play better D against Kentucky.

A&M, UPig, and Kentucky decide if we are a 5 to 8 win team in 2017

Therein lies the problem, we don't win enough one on ones and don't have a line good enough to plow through those teams.

tenureplan
02-01-2017, 11:04 PM

I see you still like to skew stats. You can't look at last year's receiver productivity without also recognizing that Fitz had a 54% completion percentage.

defiantdog
02-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Couch can block, but he has no clue what a route is (blame his high school)

Mixon needs to learn not to be an RB

Dear needs to do the opposite of Mixon

Gray needs to step up

Jackson is done

Mitchell is anyone's guess

Myles has to be Ross now

Thomas needs to play slot

Todd is unknown, but he can run and has hands the size of a frying pan

Johnson should remain a TE

Williams should redshirt

We'll be okay, but nothing spectacular.

thf24
02-01-2017, 11:30 PM

The thing is though we don't need to be spectacular with Fitz at QB and the rushing attack we'll have. If it was 2015 again and we were faced with the prospect of having to throw 30+ times game in and game out, there would be cause for concern. All we're going to need for the most part this year from the WR position is to be solid and make the play when it's there, and I think this group is more than capable of that.

KB21
02-01-2017, 11:47 PM

Every receiver we could have recruited this year is an unknown as well.

the59dawg
02-02-2017, 12:08 AM
The thing is though we don't need to be spectacular with Fitz at QB and the rushing attack we'll have. If it was 2015 again and we were faced with the prospect of having to throw 30+ times game in and game out, there would be cause for concern. All we're going to need for the most part this year from the WR position is to be solid and make the play when it's there, and I think this group is more than capable of that.

Unless we plan to be successful as a running team without an outstanding OL, we'd better plan on throwing 30+ times/game. We need to be 50-50 run/pass.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2017, 12:17 AM

Depends on what your definition of "Ok" is.

Does "Ok" mean good enough to beat Bama, Georgia, LSU, or Auburn?

Or does "Ok" mean good enough to have a nice season and go to another bowl?

We couldn't move the ball against Bama, LSU before garbage time, or Auburn last year. Was that "Ok"?

lamont
02-02-2017, 12:22 AM
Depends on what your definition of "Ok" is.

Does "Ok" mean good enough to beat Bama, Georgia, LSU, or Auburn?

Or does "Ok" mean good enough to have a nice season and go to another bowl?

We couldn't move the ball against Bama, LSU before garbage time, or Auburn last year. Was that "Ok"?

And we have to replace 3 starters on the OL

Barking 13
02-02-2017, 12:24 AM
If we would have had a defense, the offense was adequate in most games.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 12:27 AM

This is wrong. In order for us to be really good and really good means win 7/8 games we have to have good wr play. Teams are going to stuff the hell out of the box. We have to be able to throw the ball. Doesn't have to be the bread and butter. But have to. Weapons are what makes it go. Fitz running w Aries isn't the sole answer just a start.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Every receiver we could have recruited this year is an unknown as well.

Yep true. All recruits are. What we have on campus are at least a year older. And still haven't done anything.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 12:31 AM
If we would have had a defense, the offense was adequate in most games.

Our defense sucked yes. But this statement is just vague enough to give itself leeway. However, south Alabama, and byu disagree. Just for example.

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
I see you still like to skew stats. You can't look at last year's receiver productivity without also recognizing that Fitz had a 54% completion percentage.

Fitz also had a shit load of drops which caused his percentage to be worse. Hopefully working as the #1 will help that some.

msstate7
02-02-2017, 07:48 AM
This is wrong. In order for us to be really good and really good means win 7/8 games we have to have good wr play. Teams are going to stuff the hell out of the box. We have to be able to throw the ball. Doesn't have to be the bread and butter. But have to. Weapons are what makes it go. Fitz running w Aries isn't the sole answer just a start.

I hate to cite almost stats like Hugh K, but gray had lsu beat for 2 TDs this year and fitz missed him. Gray had bama beat on a sideline route for a huge gain and dropped a perfect pass by fitz. The reason I included these situations is bc gray proved he could get open vs the best in this conference for big plays. Despite not connecting on those 3 plays I mentioned, gray went for...

Vs lsu -- 3 catches 86 yards
Vs bama -- 3 catches 76 yards

As teams load the box on us this year, watch out for gray. I think he has a huge year taking the top off the defense

Reason2succeed
02-02-2017, 07:49 AM
This year we will have to RTGDFB as many of us hoped for. From his HS tapes and what we have heard I believe Todd will be like Bear's first year if not better because he has more wiggle, elusiveness, and top end speed.

Gabe Myles can't be as bad this year as last.

Dear and Mixon got a lot of catches and will continue to develop after facing SEC defenses.

The TEs will be a factor again like when Malcolm Johnson was here or more.

Justin Johnson needs to move to WR at X or Y or we need to play more two TE sets to take advantage of his size and blocking ability.

Overall, give us a consistent running game, a better DC and defense, and an accurate kicker and we should make 8 wins next year.

I seen it dawg
02-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Ok...but isn't that the QB going to be throwing to them again...

Dawgology
02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
"Ok" next year will be getting to a bowl game with a new OL. I'm hoping for 7 wins. "Ok" will never equate to beating Bama, Georgia and LSU. C'mon man. If we roll out and beat those three we are playing for a National Championship. That's "great".

Next season I think we win: CSU, LT, BYU, UK, UMass, UM
Hopefully we win one of: ARK, ATM, GA (but these are all away games so who knows)

Combine that with a win in a bowl game and you have a nice 7-8 win bounce back season.

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 09:42 AM

Look, as far as what the fan has seen, this group of WRs would have to be at or near the bottom of the SEC. Yes, we have a decent group of "possession" receivers but I don't really see any difference makers YET. Gray is the only known deep threat we have but he seems to disappear against better defensive competition. And Maybe Todd and Mitchell end up being great but they were not highly recruited (though Todd may have ended up a 4 star by one service) so we will just have to wait and see this Fall. Every team needs one or two real playmakers in the WR corp and we just seem to be missing that right now. And that fact will allow more defenses to play man coverage on our receivers and put more guys in the box to stop our run game. Just hard to understand with Mullen's known QB development skills why we can't attract one elite type WR per class. If we can do it at RB, DL, LB, etc. I don't see why we can't do it at WR.

WSOPdawg
02-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Couch
Dear
Gray
Jackson
Mitchell
Myles
Mixon
Thomas
Todd

Signee:
Austin Williams

What I like about this group is the height and speed these guys possess compared to when Mullen first arrived -- we've really come a long way.

BB30
02-02-2017, 10:14 AM

What is Gray ranked in comparison to returning WRs in the SEC? He was a second option and still had better numbers than several team's #1 option. If fitz hits a couple deep balls to him early in the season when he was wide open his numbers immediately get a lot better.

BB30
02-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Ok...but isn't that the QB going to be throwing to them again...

Yep it most certainly is, what does that have to do with how good our WR group is or isn't? Fitz played really well for a first time starter this season. He also killed us in a couple of big games early in the season missing on several deep balls to wide open receivers. If a receiver gets open and the QB misses him that isn't on the WR.

I seen it dawg
02-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Yep it most certainly is, what does that have to do with how good our WR group is or isn't? Fitz played really well for a first time starter this season. He also killed us in a couple of big games early in the season missing on several deep balls to wide open receivers. If a receiver gets open and the QB misses him that isn't on the WR.

If you read what I replied to it should answer your question

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 12:13 PM
I actually think Mixon can be a standout if used correctly. That may include some hybrid stuff though.

To me, the key is Todd. Word is he's a real X WR that can go get it. If he is, we are fine

I think slot receiver is the one position we should be more than adequate. Surely between Dear, Mixon and Thomas we get good production there. Also, for whatever reason, Myles was a much better receiver in the slot so maybe he needs to go back there as well. Another thing that would help would be if somehow the light comes on for Jesse Jackson. He was suppose to be a really good prospect coming out of HS and we've got almost nothing out of him to date. Now he did get injured so maybe he is just not the same player anymore.

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 12:20 PM

Gray needs to step up

Jackson is done

Myles has to be Ross now

Williams should redshirt

That rundown sounds far from OK. I feel worse now about the WR situation than I did before. And I wasn't feeling too good before. Has Jackson just lost his ability since the knee injury?

lamont
02-02-2017, 12:29 PM
What is Gray ranked in comparison to returning WRs in the SEC? He was a second option and still had better numbers than several team's #1 option. If fitz hits a couple deep balls to him early in the season when he was wide open his numbers immediately get a lot better.

He's probably 15th in returning receptions....and I hate to tell you this- but every school missed open WR's. He had Ross taking heat off him last year. He doesn't have that luxury this year

msstate7
02-02-2017, 12:32 PM
He's probably 15th in returning receptions....and I hate to tell you this- but every school missed open WR's. He had Ross taking heat off him last year. He doesn't have that luxury this year

Gray was 13th in sec in receiving yards/game. 8 of the ones in front of him are gone

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Gray was 13th in sec in receiving yards/game. 8 of the ones in front of him are gone

Unfortunately, it seemed like half of Gray's yards and TDs for the year came against Samford. In a lot of our bigger games Gray was nowhere to be found.

msstate7
02-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately, it seemed like half of Gray's yards and TDs for the year came against Samford. In a lot of our bigger games Gray was nowhere to be found.

South Carolina -- 7 rec 71 yds 1 td
Lsu -- 3 rec 86 yds
Bama -- 3 rec 76 yds
Ark -- 7 rec 92 yds

justwin
02-02-2017, 12:48 PM
we?re going to be fine @ WR this year. Bowie would?ve been nice, but how much would he have impacted us in 2017? Seriously. He weighs ~160 pounds so even if he played, I?m thinking ~20 catches at most in 2017. Same with McMath, Guidry, and any other WRs that gave us interest.

I do think the investment in Couch/Todd/Mitchell this past year will pay off. 6?4? 200+. Couch is 230+.

Dear is going to start @ slot and people don?t realize that his first two years on campus were better than Ross? first two years, statistically. Mixon & Dear in the slot in 2017. I think Dear gets 10+ tds in 2017. Statwise, Ross played in 11 games as a freshman with 9 catches; zero tds. Soph was 13 games with 30 catches for 5 tds. Dear freshman was 11 games 33 touches (run & pass) for 3 tds. Dear soph was 12 games with 40 touches for another 3 tds. So, Dear should slide right in ala Bump & Lewis & Ross before him.

Gray is going to be other spot & he?s going to be fine for 5+ tds. I guess Myles backs him up.

So, we just need one of Couch/Todd/Mitchell/Williams to assume the other roll. Collectively, they need to be good for ~50 catches & 5 tds.

In 2014, Dak threw 27 tds. 9 went to Wilson; 5 to Ross; 4 to Morrow & the rest spread out
In 2015, Dak threw 29 tds & fitz threw 3. 10 to Wilson; 5 to Ross; 5 Holloway; 3 to Fred Brown, rest spread out
In 2016, Fitz threw 21 & Damien 2. 12 to Ross, 5 to Gray, 2 Dear, 2 Mixon, rest spread out
In 2017, Fitz will throw ~26 tds; 10+ to Dear, 5 to Gray, 5 to C/T/M/W, etc.

All that being said, our RB rotation of big, powerful RBs will greatly reduce the pressure on Fitz?s passing. Will help our OL too.

But yeah, need to get some ready to play WRs next cycle which it sounds like coaches are doing already.

shrimp
02-02-2017, 12:52 PM
"Jackson is done." Is he Transferring?

Gray needs to step up

Jackson is done

Myles has to be Ross now

Williams should redshirt

MedDawg
02-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Fitz also had a shit load of drops which caused his percentage to be worse. Hopefully working as the #1 will help that some.

Agree. A TON of drops by nearly every receiver, including Ross. Throughout the season there were several key drives that were stopped by dropped passes on 3rd down. Hopefully we will play the receivers who catch better whether they are veterans or new guys.

BB30
02-02-2017, 04:47 PM

So we are back at this again... would you rather have a WR with 29 catches for 350yds or a WR with 25 catches for 450 yds?

msstate7
02-02-2017, 05:05 PM
So we are back at this again... would you rather have a WR with 29 catches for 350yds or a WR with 25 catches for 450 yds?

Which one makes Mullen look worse?