PDA

View Full Version : Are you Happy? Did Mullen do what he needed to do?

Jack Lambert
02-01-2017, 06:11 PM
247 had us at 19
scouts had us at 24
Rivals had us at 25

bulldawg28
02-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Wrong crowd....Not enough O-lineman I'm sure some will say. I'm very pleased. This is Mullen's best class imo.

Jarius
02-01-2017, 06:16 PM
It's a B+ job

MetEdDawg
02-01-2017, 06:17 PM
247 had us at 19
scouts had us at 24
Rivals had us at 25

Only complaint is that we needed another WR and another CB in my opinion. Other than that, I think we did what we needed to do. Got bigger in the trenches, got a top flight RB and QB, got a phenomenal LB, and got early enrollees that's can fill needs instantly, especially on the DL and hopefully secondary. And we got a guy who can punt the piss out of the ball. Very solid class.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm happy with it. I just hope going JUCO heavy this year was due to a perfect storm of circumstances and isn't the new norm.

msstate7
02-01-2017, 06:37 PM
I'm happy, but we really need cooper and elliss to make it

defiantdog
02-01-2017, 06:41 PM
At least Malik Heath knows he won't be red shirting in 2018 since we didn't pick up one receiver on scholarship in this class.

Madisonmd
02-01-2017, 06:43 PM
At least Malik Heath knows he won't be red shirting in 2018 since we didn't pick up one receiver on scholarship in this class.

very solid class, still need to see what academic casualties will occur

Bothrops
02-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Defensively I'm happy as a m'fer with the class. But should have gotten a couple of more receivers, or at least one top 300 guy, and one more OT that's ready to enroll.

civildawg
02-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Needed another wr and ot to be a great class

SailingDawg
02-01-2017, 06:58 PM
I was going to create a thread to ask if everyone was happy with the O-line. Certainly got some big boys!

I_Spy
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Aren't the receivers fools, if our QB is an SEC leader and we signed Key Thompson? We are who Shea Patterson even tweeted about chasing. And do we really even want receivers who cannot figure out this situation.

RocketDawg
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Considering our competition in the SEC we did extremely well.

ESPN had us at 29th, I believe, and OM was somewhere in the middle 30s (which is amazing, and I'm not sure what Freeze was complaining about). Of course, Alabama was #1.

I_Spy
02-01-2017, 07:03 PM
I mean Nick was just a sophomore.

smootness
02-01-2017, 07:09 PM

We did sign one WR.

And yes, I am happy.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2017, 07:12 PM
DL Coach Brian Baker did work....Billy G -not so much.

gravedigger
02-01-2017, 07:15 PM
247 had us at 19
scouts had us at 24
Rivals had us at 25

1. I am happy
2. Mullen landed good kids
3. Rankings are useless.

I'm still 49 (bad)
My 1st day of work was outstanding. (Good)

I'm on top of the daisies (I'll let you know)

stalkingpoon
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Aren't the receivers fools, if our QB is an SEC leader and we signed Key Thompson? We are who Shea Patterson even tweeted about chasing. And do we really even want receivers who cannot figure out this situation.

Whop and Heath are gonna be playing day one in 2019.

gravedigger
02-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Billy G is the man. Shaddap wit dat

DawgPoundtheRock
02-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Have any of us ever seen the perfect class? There are always holes to fill or misses on highly rated recruits. According to 247 we have the number 24 class in the country. That in itself should be reason for celebration. 24th out of 130 some odd programs. However, that places us 9th in the SEC. It's an arms race, and while we are holding our own nationally, there will always be room for second guessing vis a vis the SEC.

As always, we won't know how good this class really is for at least 2 years. If anyone has the time or inclination, it would be interesting to see how the previous 4 classes have panned out versus their initial expectations.

FISHDAWG
02-01-2017, 07:27 PM
It's a B+ job

it's good progress ... I sense a renewed effort

GTHOM
02-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Good class and good job by Mullen and staff. If Grantham improves the D and the OL can be average we are a 8-10 win team for the next 2 years

deltadawg99
02-01-2017, 07:48 PM
All in all it's a very solid class. Getting Odom and Gay was huge.

IMO I thought we lacked the following:
Kicker- I know Day kicked in high school but how many guys pull double duty in college?
WR - needed a play maker at WR. Wiliams is a possession guy and it would have been nice to have gotten another playmaker.
OL - really good OL class but I thought we needed 1 more solid OL guy. Would have been nice to have gotten one of the Jordans that signed with South Carolina.

gtowndawg
02-01-2017, 07:57 PM
I'm happy, but we really need cooper and elliss to make it

That makes a huge difference if that happens.

gtowndawg
02-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Kicker- I know Day kicked in high school but how many guys pull double duty in college?
WR - needed a play maker at WR. Wiliams is a possession guy and it would have been nice to have gotten another playmaker.
OL - really good OL class but I thought we needed 1 more solid OL guy. Would have been nice to have gotten one of the Jordans that signed with South Carolina.

One that I do remember was Ryan Succup at South Carolina. I'm pretty certain he punted and kicked. He only kicks in the NFL. But yeah, it doesn't happen much and he was clearly special.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2017, 08:00 PM
One that I do remember was Ryan Succup at South Carolina. I'm pretty certain he punted and kicked. He only kicks in the NFL. But yeah, it doesn't happen much and he was clearly special.

Auburn had one not to long ago. Can't remember the guys name.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Great effort by Dan and staff. Really solid class. B+.

Homedawg
02-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Baker didn't get all the guys you are giving him credit for. Trust me.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Daniel Carlson punted and kicked for auburn 2013-2016 and he was a good one at both. Groza award finalist.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2017, 08:17 PM
I would put Gay, Hill and Key up against any 5 Stars....

Johnson85
02-01-2017, 08:21 PM
1. I am happy
2. Mullen landed good kids
3. Rankings are useless.

I'm still 49 (bad)
My 1st day of work was outstanding. (Good)

I'm on top of the daisies (I'll let you know)
You made it to age 49 before having to do your first day of work? Reason to be happy that the run happened, or sad that it ended?

Todd4State
02-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Overall I am happy. I've said that we should strive to be in the 15-20 range in recruiting. 247 has us at 19. The rest have us in the 24-25 range I think- but 247 is the best site for ratings IMO so I'm good with that.

The good- We got a future QB, a legit SEC RB which to me are the two main things you need to compete in the SEC for a 10 win season. 10 win seasons should be our goal with our floor being 6 wins and ceiling being 12. We also did very well on the d-line by getting Odom, Jackson, and Elliss. And then we added Tyler Dunning and Willie Gay (which was huge) and then I like Tyler Williams and Landon Guidry. We also addressed kicker/punter with an Army All-American. We also addressed some immediate needs with JUCO's that could potentially help us out quite a bit and even out our numbers some.

The bad- We only added one WR who might end up at TE which is not a position of need for us. We need to land two legit outside WR's and a slot WR in the next class to offset some misses. Our high school o-line recruiting was overall not good even though Suggs was a very nice pick-up. Cooper is a grade risk and Richardson is a project and if Cooper doesn't get in it's not good. Cooper would help if he qualifies but we still didn't sign enough. Maybe Sherman Trimble switches over and becomes Ben Beckwith 2.0. We didn't get a hat on the table for one of the top players in Cam Akers and we missed out on several of the other top players in MS- Bowie, Avery, and Charles would have bumped this class up quite a bit in the rankings. Bulovas was a miss too.

All told- I think a B is a fair grade for this class because I like the upside of the players that we landed for the most part, but the misses and signing only three o-linemen again drops it down for me.

Next class we need to address WR/Slot WR- already off to a good start with Heath, maybe pick up a TE, improve our o-line recruiting- the OT from Greenwood is a great start, and we also need to take advantage of the LB and CB prospects that already appear to be emerging in state.

Bass Chaser
02-01-2017, 08:36 PM
I think I'm in agreement with most solid class but not good enough to compete for championships.

FISHDAWG

I haven't confirmed this for myself but I was told that last year he was 11 of 13 with a long of 50 yds ... if so I agree with giving him a shot at it ... who else have we got ?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
Auburn had one not to long ago. Can't remember the guys name.

Damon Duval was pretty good for Auburn at both in the early 00s.

maroonmania
02-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Needed another wr and ot to be a great class

I agree. B+ class as if Cooper gets in, if not B.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 08:42 PM
I wish we had added another OT and tall WR, but overall I think this class may be Mullen's best, and feels like it should have been rated higher. However, due to JUCOs and a severely underrated QB and RB, it just lands at 20ish.

JUCOs aren't rated as high as high school players, but that doesn't mean they aren't as impactful. If most of Sweat, Rivers, Autry, Pope, Cole, Abrams, Rivers, and Landrews provide real impact, Key turns into the boaderline 5 star he should be, and Kylin Hill turns into something similar to Mark Ingram, this has a chance to be a top 15 type class. Just isn't rated that way due to JUCO not being valued like high schoolers and Key and Kylin being a little underrated.

lamont
02-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Good class and much better job overall.

My concern is obviously with the OL- we have 2 jucos that wont help much in 2017 and only have 2 HS OL guys assured of being in school. If the kid from Haughton gets in this summer- then you have to be excited with the OL class. But its very meh if he doesnt.

We got immediate DL help
We got immediate Secondary help
We got a future potential All-SEC in Gay
We got a legit starting RB for the future
We got a legit All-SEC future QB
We got quality HS talent on D

OL, WR, and DL are the critical needs in recruiting next year

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 08:43 PM
I think I'm in agreement with most solid class but not good enough to compete for championships.

Unless we have a super star QB. In 2014, we did compete for a championship and I believe with classes like today, we put ourselves in position to do it again with top shelf QB play.

lamont
02-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Unless we have a super star QB. In 2014, we did compete for a championship and I believe with classes like today, we put ourselves in position to do it again with top shelf QB play.

Its going to take another class like this again next year. ! class doesnt do it- take 2-3 classes in a row meeting needs to give you a chance

HoopsDawg
02-01-2017, 08:51 PM
We really needed a WR for Fitz in 2018. Who is going to replace Gray? No proven outside guys currently on the roster for Fitz's senior year. Missed on a Juco corner. Missed on our kicker we targeted. Missed on no less than 7 Oline targets. Still it was Dan's 2nd best class.

maroonmania
02-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Good class and much better job overall.

My concern is obviously with the OL- we have 2 jucos that wont help much in 2017 and only have 2 HS OL guys assured of being in school. If the kid from Haughton gets in this summer- then you have to be excited with the OL class. But its very meh if he doesnt.

We got immediate DL help
We got immediate Secondary help
We got a future potential All-SEC in Gay
We got a legit starting RB for the future
We got a legit All-SEC future QB
We got quality HS talent on D

OL, WR, and DL are the critical needs in recruiting next year

Not really sure why we dropped Gainer when we did until we KNEW we could get a commitment from either Tucker, Carty or Rhodes.

Bass Chaser
02-01-2017, 08:56 PM

OK, I see things differently.

dawgday166
02-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Well ... it's a good effort. Much better than last year. But I'm not gonna jump through my arse just yet to pat Dan on the back and say "Whoo hoo, great job Dan".

Recruiting rankings don't matter much, although they are a good barometer of talent level to a large extent.

What matters to me: At least 7 regular season wins next year and EVERY team we play comes out of our game knowing they were in a hard hitting, aggressive football game.

2 years from now ... no less than 10 regular season wins. We're supposed to compete for West then, or so I've heard.

So I'm still somewhat hopeful and waiting to see what happens.

lamont
02-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Well ... it's a good effort. Much better than last year. But I'm not gonna jump through my arse just yet to pat Dan on the back and say "Whoo hoo, great job Dan".

Recruiting rankings don't matter much, although they are a good barometer of talent level to a large extent.

What matters to me: At least 7 regular season wins next year and EVERY team we play comes out of our game knowing they were in a hard hitting, aggressive football game.

2 years from now ... no less than 10 regular season wins. We're supposed to compete for West then, or so I've heard.

So I'm still somewhat hopeful and waiting to see what happens.

agree with this 100%

We need to upset some teams and win 7 this year. Then need to compete for 10 wins with a Sr Fitz and a D that should be grown up

defiantdog
02-01-2017, 09:52 PM
We did sign one WR.

And yes, I am happy.

Williams is a great possession guy..... I was referring to an outside threat like Todd. Shedrick Jackson is a name to remember next year. I expect us to get him if Auburn doesn't offer.

PassInterference
02-01-2017, 09:54 PM
B+

We missed needs at WR and needed a couple OL headliners. How the hell do you set out to get a good scholarship place kicker and not get one?

But we did get our highest rated QB maybe ever and a maybe a once a decade RB.

smootness
02-01-2017, 10:12 PM
No less than 10 regular season wins? Seriously?

dawgday166
02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
No less than 10 regular season wins? Seriously?

Yea ... seriously.

ETA: We're supposed to be competing for championships .. Remember.

KB21
02-01-2017, 11:13 PM
247 had us at 19
scouts had us at 24
Rivals had us at 25

I'll let you know in 3 years when we can really tell something about this class.

On the surface, I like what they have done. They got them on campus. Now they have to develop them. The developing part is the most important.

HSVDawg
02-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Damon Duval was pretty good for Auburn at both in the early 00s.

Yep. Started at Auburn around 2000 or 2001 and graduated in 2013. I remember him well.

dogshiek
02-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Yep. Started at Auburn around 2000 or 2001 and graduated in 2013. I remember him well.

Thanks for the coffee spew.

1bigdawg
02-02-2017, 08:50 AM
This is Mullen's second best class. 2015 was the unquestionably the best. Last year had a higher 247 "average point rating" but was smaller and had more key misses (Lashley, etc.). I think this class ranks about even with last year and is the third solid class in a row.

The last three classes have been significant steps up from Mullen's previous ones.

As others have said, it is critical that all three HS OLs get into school this fall. Even though they were not highly rated, they seem to have good bodies to be developed. (Note that the highest rated OL in the class was the 96th rated OT on 247.) It is critical that they all pan out. One of the biggest problems on our team is that the Jake Thomas and Kent Flowers did not pan out from the OL class from four years ago. Interestingly, that was probably our highest rated OL class. We will learn over the next two years if we are evaluating OLs better. If not, we are not going to win championships with the current coaching makeup.

Spiderman
02-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Think you giving Baker a little too much credit. No, you are giving him way too much credit.

smootness
02-02-2017, 09:21 AM
Yea ... seriously.

ETA: We're supposed to be competing for championships .. Remember.

So we either win 10 regular season games, or it's unacceptable? That is entirely unreasonable.

smootness
02-02-2017, 09:25 AM
This is Mullen's second best class. 2015 was the unquestionably the best. Last year had a higher 247 "average point rating" but was smaller and had more key misses (Lashley, etc.). I think this class ranks about even with last year and is the third solid class in a row.

The last three classes have been significant steps up from Mullen's previous ones.

As others have said, it is critical that all three HS OLs get into school this fall. Even though they were not highly rated, they seem to have good bodies to be developed. (Note that the highest rated OL in the class was the 96th rated OT on 247.) It is critical that they all pan out. One of the biggest problems on our team is that the Jake Thomas and Kent Flowers did not pan out from the OL class from four years ago. Interestingly, that was probably our highest rated OL class. We will learn over the next two years if we are evaluating OLs better. If not, we are not going to win championships with the current coaching makeup.

Just depends on how you quantify it. You're correct if you're going by recruiting ratings, but 2011 remains his best class.

BB30
02-02-2017, 10:08 AM

I think this is the formula for us to compete for a championship every three to four years. We will never recruit well enough to get there any other way. We are going to have to rely on an elite QB to equal out any deficiencies we have else where. Although, I do think the pieces are in place for us to have a borderline elite defense if the coaching changes help schematically. I still for the life of me don't understand how we aren't signing more legit WRs. There are a bunch of them out there in comparison to OL prospects. I just don't understand how we cant find one or two solid outside guys that want to come here.

Dawgface
02-02-2017, 10:41 AM
The stars have to be aligned perfectly to get to 10 wins. Don't see that coming up soon. As far as this class goes.....I'm happy. Can always be better.

Doggie_Style
02-02-2017, 11:26 AM
I haven't confirmed this for myself but I was told that last year he was 11 of 13 with a long of 50 yds ... if so I agree with giving him a shot at it ... who else have we got ?

I think right now Tucker Day is it....we have Brad Wall who kicked off for us some but there isn't much confidence in his ability to hit a FG. I don't see how we go into next season without bringing in someone else as a back up option.

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 11:38 AM
B+

We missed needs at WR and needed a couple OL headliners. How the hell do you set out to get a good scholarship place kicker and not get one?

But we did get our highest rated QB maybe ever and a maybe a once a decade RB.

Day is a good scholarship place kicker. He may not be the best FG kicking prospect in the nation like Bulovas, but he is supposed to be quite good.

maroonmania
02-02-2017, 11:41 AM

As long as you know who is around we are just not going to get highly rated OL apparently. But MSU itself is certainly capable of attracting higher rated OL because we did get a number of them back in the Sherrill days.

justwin
02-02-2017, 12:21 PM
247 had us at 19
scouts had us at 24
Rivals had us at 25

A- Why? Keytaon Thompson. Dude just won Louisiana. Louisiana. LA is the best state in terms of talent and KT won LA. Huge, huge get by Mullen.

Speaking of LA, want to give a big shout out & congratulations to Coach O for keeping the small RB commit who flirted with us. Nice Job, O! Pretty much guarantees that KT's jr & sr season won't be wasted with featuring a small RB like we wasted Dak & Tyler's senior year. Huge pull by O. No, this guy was nothing like J-Rob.

Comparing MSU to the other West teams. MSU signed a better first team QB (KT), RB (Hill), LB (Gay) than Aub, LSU, Ark, TXAM. Yeah, those other West teams signed comparable players at other positions and some higher rated OL/DL though than MSU, but KT/Hill/Gay are feature players that will be impactful for us to compete with those SECW teams. Had those 3 signed with any other team besides MSU, would've been rated higher.

I like that Day will kick FGs. Excited about him.

smootness
02-02-2017, 12:29 PM
LA is the best state in terms of talent

Huh?