PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting on Grades On MSU's Coaches

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm sure this will be a good debate and I freely admit I don't have all the information. So here is my off the cuff grades.

Mullen - B. Seems like we held serve pretty well. Could have done better at a few positions but solid overall

Gonzalez - F. I'm sure he helped out somewhere but this guy laid a turd this year. With Guidry not qualifying and Bowie getting paid off, the only real opportunity we had this year was Brandon Martin and we let that slip away. So perhaps there weren't many options this year, but this guy needs to pick it up.

Hevesy - C. He actually got some decent guys this year, particularly if Cooper qualifies. Also missed on others and Lashley still ticks me off.

Sallach - Incomplete. Not sure what he did.

Knox - A-. He didn't screw up Kylin and got a visit from CEH. Only thing that keeps him from a better grade is not getting us in the game with Akers

Baker - A. No 5 stars but this guy appears to be a sneaky good recruiter. Tons of quality.

Grantham - B. Didn't screw it up but didn't bring anyone new.

Buck - A. Not sure how many guys to give him credit for, but he's our best recruiter.

maroonmania
02-01-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm sure this will be a good debate and I freely admit I don't have all the information. So here is my off the cuff grades.

Mullen - B. Seems like we held serve pretty well. Could have done better at a few positions but solid overall

Gonzalez - F. I'm sure he helped out somewhere but this guy laid a turd this year. With Guidry not qualifying and Bowie getting paid off, the only real opportunity we had this year was Brandon Martin and we let that slip away. So perhaps there weren't many options this year, but this guy needs to pick it up.

Hevesy - C. He actually got some decent guys this year, particularly if Cooper qualifies. Also missed on others and Lashley still ticks me off.

Knox - A-. He didn't screw up Kylin and got a visit from CEH. Only thing that keeps him from a better grade is not getting us in the game with Akers

Baker - A. No 5 stars but this guy appears to be a sneaky good recruiter. Tons of quality.

Buck - A. Not sure how many guys to give him credit for, but he's our best recruiter.

Agree on Gonz. His group actually took over for Hev as the weak link in recruiting this year.

smootness
02-01-2017, 03:08 PM
These grades are impossible unless you know each kid the coach was the primary recruiter for. You certainly can't just judge them off their position group.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
These grades are impossible unless you know each kid the coach was the primary recruiter for. You certainly can't just judge them off their position group.

Completely agree. That's why I said "I don't have all the information"

However, our conversation has to begin somewhere and evolve from there. This seems like a good spot

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Off the field coaches: A+++ Gold Star

02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Here is your list according to 247

Mullen - Day

Gonzalez - Hill

Hevesy - Cooper, Champion, Phillips

Sallach - Suggs

Knox - Gay, Odom

Baker - Ellis, Collins, Rivers, Abram, Pope, Autry, Sweat

Grantham -

Buck - Dunning, T. Williams, Jackson

----------------------

Sirmon - Guidry

Linguist - Richardson, Abram, Cole, Landrews,

Johnson - Thompson, A. Williams

Hughes - Champion

KB21
02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Billy Gonzalez recruited Kylin Hill, so.........

louisvilledawg
02-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Also, how can Gonzalez be held accountable for Guidry:
A) Not qualifying
B) Guidry choosing to go to his home state school?

GTHOM
02-01-2017, 03:37 PM

Our WRs will be fine. Folks need to chill we've got guys that can play. Mullen threw the ball with Relf and Arceto Clark, Brandon Heavens etc at WR. We will be okay

msstate7
02-01-2017, 03:42 PM
I'm not in the loop as far the inner workings of our recruiting, but Buckley shows all 3* recruits all time here and at Louisville. He was primary on Lenoir and Nixon, but neither would even visit. Why is Buckley thought of as our best? Not saying he isn't...just curious

HSVDawg
02-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Here is your list according to 247

Mullen - Day

Gonzalez - Hill

Hevesy - Cooper, Champion, Phillips

Sallach - Suggs

Knox - Gay, Odom

Baker - Ellis, Collins, Rivers, Abram, Pope, Autry, Sweat

Grantham -

Buck - Dunning, T. Williams, Jackson

----------------------

Sirmon - Guidry

Linguist - Richardson, Abram, Cole, Landrews,

Johnson - Thompson, A. Williams

Hughes - Champion

Change that grade for Knox to A++++++ then

maroonmania
02-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Also, how can Gonzalez be held accountable for Guidry:
A) Not qualifying
B) Guidry choosing to go to his home state school?

I agree, it can't all be put on Gonzalez, but do we all realize that on the last 2 signing days we have inked TWO, I said TWO WRs. That is beyond terrible. Yes, we picked up Todd and Mitchell off the "best available" option after signing day, and hopefully they turn out great, but you can't go two recruiting cycles and only hit on 2 WRs you initially targeted and feel good about it. Didn't Mullen come to MSU saying his offense needed to keep a good number of WRs on the roster and complaining about how few he inherited from Croom? Looks like next year we will have 10 total if there is no further attrition there.

fader2103
02-01-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't think these grades mean anything but just to bash coaches on their incompetence to recruit. I think this is a B+, A- class and that's all that matters except maroon of course.

smootness
02-01-2017, 04:35 PM
I agree, it can't all be put on Gonzalez, but do we all realize that on the last 2 signing days we have inked TWO, I said TWO WRs. That is beyond terrible. Yes, we picked up Todd and Mitchell off the "best available" option after signing day, and hopefully they turn out great, but you can't go two recruiting cycles and only hit on 2 WRs you initially targeted and feel good about it. Didn't Mullen come to MSU saying his offense needed to keep a good number of WRs on the roster and complaining about how few he inherited from Croom? Looks like next year we will have 10 total if there is no further attrition there.

We signed 3 last year, and that's even if you count both Dontea Jones and Christian Roberson as TEs.

10 is fine.

maroonmania
02-01-2017, 04:38 PM
We signed 3 last year, and that's even if you count both Dontea Jones and Christian Roberson as TEs.

10 is fine.

Reread my post.

smootness
02-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Reread my post.

Gotcha, sorry.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2017, 05:25 PM
No Tim Brewster's on this staff for sure...

Jack Lambert
02-01-2017, 06:15 PM
I have listen to Mullen speak at conventions several times and I know that I have heard him say that he does not look at recruiting sights and he does not care about recruiting rankings. He is going to go after what he needs and he evaluates him self.

Don't know if that is good or bad but I have heard him say that at lest two time.