PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Practice...interesting sightings

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2017, 12:56 AM
(1) Marrero is out there playing and practicing. If the rumors were true, why go through preseason this close to the start of the season.

(2) Skelton is playing 3B (as in the Fall) and he was among the best hitters in the Fall. Skelton out-hit Bragg by 250 points in the fall. Specifically, Skelton batted 409 and Bragg hit 148. Only Lovelady, that hit 424, had a better statistical fall.

JohnnyQuid
02-01-2017, 03:51 AM
1) what rumors
2) small sample size - means shit. I know nothing about either but fall ball avg won't my starting point to judge them
3) Lovelady hitting over .400 and leading the team avg is a hint that sample is flawed

Leroy Jenkins
02-01-2017, 04:19 AM
1) what rumors

Rumor was grade casualty.

bulldogcountry1
02-01-2017, 07:44 AM
AC said all 3 catchers would play opening weekend, fwiw.

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
1) what rumors
2) small sample size - means shit. I know nothing about either but fall ball avg won't my starting point to judge them
3) Lovelady hitting over .400 and leading the team avg is a hint that sample is flawed

I hear you on small sample size, but that's college baseball. All you get are small sample sizes. At maximum (for veteran-starters) 100 ABs in Summer Ball, 50 ABs in Fall, and then 200 ABs in the Season. For Freshmen, you only get the 50 ABs in the fall.

I trust Cann to find the right players, just sharing that Skelton is playing 3B and has been very good at the plate against the same competition the rest of the team only managed to hit 266 against.

BB30
02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
1) what rumors

Yea, everyone will get an opportunity early in the season to produce. Coaches use the fall to get a feel for the team and who can do what. You really don't know what you have in the younger guys until you throw them out there and see if they sink or swim. Same with pitchers, I have seen a lot of pitchers carve it up in the fall and then fall off in the spring. The fall really just gives coaches the opportunity to put in some stuff, get the new guys caught up, and get everyone back in shape.

I am still worried about our arms. I think we will swing it ok. There will be some ups and downs this season with everyone getting used to a new coach and relying on some unproven arms. The talent is there if a couple of guys step up on the mound we could be a surprise.