At South Carolina
Lsu

I say we lose at least 7

GTHOM
01-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Might beat OM and LSU at home

civildawg
01-31-2017, 08:49 PM
I thought we had a chance to be really good next year but it looks like we need to hold off on those expectations

msstate7
01-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Might beat OM and LSU at home

That's how I see it too. Epic collapse

GTHOM
01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
That's how I see it too. Epic collapse

Baseball starts in 17 days friend

msstate7
01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Baseball starts in 17 days friend

Won't step foot on campus till then.

klong-dog
01-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Yeah, as much hell as people have given Ready. We miss him a lot. Yeah I only see us winning the Ole miss and LSU game. Outside shot against Tenn. If we're hitting from deep.

lamont
01-31-2017, 09:43 PM
Tenn
At auburn
South Carolina
At Georgia
Florida
OM
At vandy
At South Carolina
Lsu

I say we lose at least 7

I posted on Sunday that these 6 games would define us. While I didnt predict us to lose 6 in a row- I mentioned it was certainly possible because our schedule is really tough the next 2 weeks. Tennessee is going to be a handful Saturday

MarketingBully
02-01-2017, 02:01 AM
Well, we will have two bangers coming in next year in Ado and Brooks. If Herard and Holman don't improve something fierce, start those two guys and you have a great front court. If Kegler's effort doesn't improve, start Xavian. Hopefully this embarrassing performance lights a fire under these kids. If not, I don't really know what to say.

louisvilledawg
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Well, we will have two bangers coming in next year in Ado and Brooks. If Herard and Holman don't improve something fierce, start those two guys and you have a great front court. If Kegler's effort doesn't improve, start Xavian. Hopefully this embarrassing performance lights a fire under these kids. If not, I don't really know what to say.

While I like what you've written, i almost feel like Xavian should continue coming off the bench even when he's fully healthy. Feel like hes a great high energy guy in short spurts.

I think Kegler is good, he just seems lazy (sometimes) and not as polished as I would think he would be considering how highly ranked he was.

smootness
02-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Holman and Herard are clear starters next year. Don't overreact because of a bad stretch. Holman is far better than he was as a freshman, and Herard has been coming on. They will be forces for us next year.

msstate7
02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Holman and Herard are clear starters next year. Don't overreact because of a bad stretch. Holman is far better than he was as a freshman, and Herard has been coming on. They will be forces for us next year.

I'm not completely sold on Holman, but I expect herard to be an all sec type player next season

MarketingBully
02-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Can a tiger change his stripes? Can Holman go from a finesse player to a very physical player? The way Howland talks it's almost a given that we see Brooks at the PF and Ado at the C. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nick start at the PG. These guys have to make monumental jumps to keep their starting spots. Heck, that might be one reason why we are inconsistent in that they know we don't have others who can replace them.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Who are the leaders on this team? I agree with Random and Msstate7 that we will find out a lot about this team in the next seven games. We need a leader to emerge on this team. It isn't Q. It isn't Holman. I want Peters to emerge as the leader. I think he has the makeup and the moxy to do it. In our four game slide, we have seen some crap habits develop that have been a huge detriment to our growth. After the year is over, Howland needs to find the negative influences and get them corrected. Next year should be a tournament team. No more excuses.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 12:35 AM
I'm not completely sold on Holman, but I expect herard to be an all sec type player next season

All sec? Cool the jets. He's getting better but going from a body early season to serviceable mid season to all sec is quite the stretch. But everyone has had too high expectation of this team and program. We will be an nit team/ bubble team next year.

Homedawg
02-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Can a tiger change his stripes? Can Holman go from a finesse player to a very physical player? The way Howland talks it's almost a given that we see Brooks at the PF and Ado at the C. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nick start at the PG. These guys have to make monumental jumps to keep their starting spots. Heck, that might be one reason why we are inconsistent in that they know we don't have others who can replace them.

Brooks isn't an instant impact sec starter. He will be good. But he's not changing the team. Nick? Yes. Brooks no.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 12:38 AM
All sec? Cool the jets. He's getting better but going from a body early season to serviceable mid season to all sec is quite the stretch. But everyone has had too high expectation of this team and program. We will be an nit team/ bubble team next year.

10 four stars and an NIT/Bubble team? On paper, we will easily be the second most talented team in the SEC.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Brooks isn't an instant impact sec starter. He will be good. But he's not changing the team. Nick? Yes. Brooks no.

Disagree. The combination of Ado and Brooks will give this team what it has been lacking. The ability to rebound and defend in the post.

Reunion Dog
02-02-2017, 02:02 AM
no leadership... no hustle.... nada... this team plays like an AAU team that has no idea of a TEAM concept... if they don't buy in... let them go somewhere else.... and the coaching needs to change dramatically... time to bust some asses in practice... i want howland to get at least one Technical..... i haven't seen anything special out of him either....

msstate7
02-02-2017, 07:34 AM

I'm full speed ahead on the jets haha

Herard is still raw, but he's progressing pretty quickly now. In December, he avg'd 4.5 ppg. In January, despite tougher competition, he avg'd 8.0 ppg. I expect him to be a double digit scorer down the stretch and be a 10-12 ppg 7-9 rpg next season, which should be good enough for at least 3rd team all sec. I'll stick with my projection

sleepy dawg
02-02-2017, 11:26 AM
I posted on Sunday that these 6 games would define us. While I didnt predict us to lose 6 in a row- I mentioned it was certainly possible because our schedule is really tough the next 2 weeks. Tennessee is going to be a handful Saturday

I said before season and all season long that we probably weren't making the NIT. I said I didn't think we were that good of a team, although improved, and that I would believe we were an NIT/tourny team when it happened. I caught flack for all of it.

I also said we were going to be a dog against Ole Miss and that all 6 of those games we would be a dog in and all 6 were going to be hard. I thought and still think TN is our best shot over that stretch, then Auburn, even though I think TN is better than Auburn. Home court just makes that big of a difference imo. We'll need to get lucky to beat any of the other teams over that stretch. Looking at the rest of the schedule, LSU is the only game we should win, although I think we'll probably get lucky and win 1 or 2 others.

the59dawg
02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

We really need Xavier to play more. Heck, he fouls out in 8-10 min. He needs to be able to guard those tall guards that we don't have anybody tall enough to do.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm full speed ahead on the jets haha

Herard is still raw, but he's progressing pretty quickly now. In December, he avg'd 4.5 ppg. In January, despite tougher competition, he avg'd 8.0 ppg. I expect him to be a double digit scorer down the stretch and be a 10-12 ppg 7-9 rpg next season, which should be good enough for at least 3rd team all sec. I'll stick with my projection

I think Ado and Brooks start next year at the 4 and 5. Them combined will give us 15-20 rebounds alone at those two spots. North Carolina wanted Brooks bad. He can contribute what we need from that position next year.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
I said before season and all season long that we probably weren't making the NIT. I said I didn't think we were that good of a team, although improved, and that I would believe we were an NIT/tourny team when it happened. I caught flack for all of it.

I also said we were going to be a dog against Ole Miss and that all 6 of those games we would be a dog in and all 6 were going to be hard. I thought and still think TN is our best shot over that stretch, then Auburn, even though I think TN is better than Auburn. Home court just makes that big of a difference imo. We'll need to get lucky to beat any of the other teams over that stretch. Looking at the rest of the schedule, LSU is the only game we should win, although I think we'll probably get lucky and win 1 or 2 others.

Still a lot of basketball left to start the I told you so thread. They are talented enough to go on a run if they give effort the full game. Now if they continue to play like shit of course you would be right. Will they? Who knows.

smootness
02-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I think Ado and Brooks start next year at the 4 and 5. Them combined will give us 15-20 rebounds alone at those two spots. North Carolina wanted Brooks bad. He can contribute what we need from that position next year.

I feel pretty confident this is the 'what we haven't seen is better than what we have seen' syndrome. I'm excited about Ado and Brooks for sure. But if you think Holman and Herard aren't good enough, it's because of the transition and learning that must take place once you hit top level basketball...something Ado and Brooks haven't begun yet.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 04:23 PM
I feel pretty confident this is the 'what we haven't seen is better than what we have seen' syndrome. I'm excited about Ado and Brooks for sure. But if you think Holman and Herard aren't good enough, it's because of the transition and learning that must take place once you hit top level basketball...something Ado and Brooks haven't begun yet.

It's called consistency and we need it from everywhere. When we went 3-1, we were doing the little things, playing physical on defense, sharing the ball on offense, making the extra pass, and creating turnovers. Since that stretch, we are 1-3 and not doing any of those things. We beat Arkansas at Arkansas who just beat Alabama by 20+ points. We need for our player leaders to step up and tell these kids the effort after the Kentucky game is not going to cut it. That is the most frustrating thing about this team is that they have the talent and have shown they can play at a high level in this league. For whatever reason, the last four games the effort has been shit.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 04:27 PM
For instance on the effort front, from the tip in the Ole Miss game I knew we were in trouble because our team looked like we didn't give a shit from the freaking tip. Howland tried his best to light a fire under them. He dang near ran out of time outs in the first half (which I have never seen before).

sleepy dawg
02-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Still a lot of basketball left to start the I told you so thread. They are talented enough to go on a run if they give effort the full game. Now if they continue to play like shit of course you would be right. Will they? Who knows.

No question about it, and I hope like hell we win out. I just figured if Random Poster was going to, I'd jump in too. I've actually never even made a 'told you so' post despite easily being able to, it just seems so childish to have to do, but I guess I just felt like a child today.

smootness
02-02-2017, 05:48 PM
It's called consistency and we need it from everywhere. When we went 3-1, we were doing the little things, playing physical on defense, sharing the ball on offense, making the extra pass, and creating turnovers. Since that stretch, we are 1-3 and not doing any of those things. We beat Arkansas at Arkansas who just beat Alabama by 20+ points. We need for our player leaders to step up and tell these kids the effort after the Kentucky game is not going to cut it. That is the most frustrating thing about this team is that they have the talent and have shown they can play at a high level in this league. For whatever reason, the last four games the effort has been shit.

Yeah, they're freshmen. You've been one of the leaders of that mantra, and you're right...which is exactly why it's unlikely Ado and Brooks, as freshmen, will overtake Holman and Herard.

MarketingBully
02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Yeah, they're freshmen. You've been one of the leaders of that mantra, and you're right...which is exactly why it's unlikely Ado and Brooks, as freshmen, will overtake Holman and Herard.

I'll give you Brooks because he will be a true freshman but the way he plays at the four is what we need for the rugged physical SEC. Ado is dominating in practice against those players now. It will take huge steps forward by Herard to keep him out of the starting lineup.

biggun
02-02-2017, 09:05 PM
We really need Xavier to play more. Heck, he fouls out in 8-10 min. He needs to be able to guard those tall guards that we don't have anybody tall enough to do.

Delete

WSOPdawg
02-03-2017, 09:18 AM
no leadership... no hustle.... nada... this team plays like an AAU team that has no idea of a TEAM concept... if they don't buy in... let them go somewhere else.... and the coaching needs to change dramatically... time to bust some asses in practice... i want howland to get at least one Technical..... i haven't seen anything special out of him either....

I like Howland and the reputation he brings our program, but I kinda expect to see the Intense Bastard go off (from the stands) for a T before Howland gets one at this point.

smootness
02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
I like Howland and the reputation he brings our program, but I kinda expect to see the Intense Bastard go off (from the stands) for a T before Howland gets one at this point.

This is Howland's coaching style. He's never, ever been a screamer or a guy who's going to go off at some point.

BB30
02-03-2017, 09:37 AM
This is Howland's coaching style. He's never, ever been a screamer or a guy who's going to go off at some point.

I can live with this. Coaches have different temperaments. I would rather him get on them behind closed doors instead of doing it during a game. When you preach being even keel throughout a game and not getting too up or down you have to be able to do it yourself. IMO this has been one of our teams issues mainly because they are freshman... but when the wheels start coming off they start to press instead of staying calm and playing their game. The same can be said for when they go on a run, they start to force things instead of staying with the flow of the game. We saw both of those situations against KY and Bama. Staying calm during a game is hard to do. I am more impressed with him as a coach that he can. Of all the coaches I have played for despite being a different sport (baseball) my favorites and the coaches that have had the most success have been guys that you wouldn't know what the score of the game was just walking up and looking at his demeanor.

All kids respond differently to different styles some kids need to be hammered on and some don't. It is the coach's job to figure out which kid responds to what and coach them up that way.