PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a pretty good signing class for the star gazers...

DeviousDawg
01-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Enrolled:
QB Keytaon Thompson- 4*(Scout, 247, Rivals)
DE Chauncey Rivers- 4*(Scout, 247, Rivals, ESPN)
DT Deion Pope- 4*(247 & rivals)
DT Lee Autry- 4*(247 & ESPN)
S Johnathan Abram- 4*(Scout & ESPN)
OT Tommy Champion- 4*(ESPN)
S Brian Cole- 4*(ESPN)
DE Montez Sweat- 4*(ESPN)
CB Tyler Williams- 4*(ESPN)
DT James Jackson- was bumped from a 4* to a 3* on 247 after he enrolled

Committed:
RB Kylin Hill- 4*(Scout, 247, ESPN)
DT Noah Elliss- 4*(Scout, Rivals, ESPN)
MLB Tyler Dunning- 4*(Rivals)

Likely to sign with State:
OLB Willie Gay- 4*(Scout, 247, Rivals, ESPN)
WR DD Bowie- 4*(Scout, 247, ESPN)

50/50 chance to sign with State:
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire- 4*(247 & ESPN)
DE Aaron Odom- 4*(Scout)

That's 17 guys that were ranked a 4-star by atleast one of the four scouting services, 10 of them are already on campus. If we close with Gay, Bowie, Helaire, and Odom, this might end up being Mullen's best signing class on paper since he has been here.

msstate7
01-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Good research.

Need to close on gay, Bowie, and Odom. We really need cooper and elliss to qualify. If we can do all this, it's an outstanding class. It'd be nice to get a good surprise Wednesday from someone

BeardoMSU
01-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Enrolled:
S Brian Cole- 4*(ESPN)

Committed:

DE Aaron Odom- 4*(Scout)

That's 17 guys that were ranked a 4-star by atleast one of the four scouting services, 10 of them are already on campus. If we close with Gay, Bowie, Helaire, and Odom, this might end up being Mullen's best signing class on paper since he has been here.

Great post dude. Thanks for the info.

DeputyDawg94
01-29-2017, 10:43 PM
That looks very good. I hope our coaches can stack up several classes of this caliber.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2017, 10:46 PM
That looks very good. I hope our coaches can stack up several classes of this caliber.

No doubt. The one thing I don't like, though, is seeing only 1 OL among that group.

BayouDawg
01-29-2017, 10:49 PM
That is really good. That rivals the 09 class that I think may have had double digit 4 stars and several diamonds in the rough. Obviously we don't know how they will turn out but looks good on paper.

Todd4State
01-29-2017, 11:03 PM
No doubt. The one thing I don't like, though, is seeing only 1 OL among that group.

I agree. That has to be addressed at some point.

Otherwise it's Dan's best class whether it's ranked lower than 2015 or not.

DeviousDawg
01-29-2017, 11:09 PM
For completion's sake, here is the rest of the class:

-3* WR Austin Williams- 6'3" possession receiver, have a good feeling about him
-3* OG Tyree Phillips- Huge JUCO offensive guard. 247 has him rated as the #1 JUCO OG in the nation.
-3* S/CB Jaquarius Landrews- 6'2" 200 lb JUCO DB. 247 composite has him rated as the #6 JUCO safety in the nation.
-3* S Landon Guidry- 6'1" 185 lb. 247 has him rated as an 88 and they #33 safety in the nation.
-3* OT Cordavien Suggs- 6'7" 285. Rosebowl says he is the best OT Mullen has signed. Scout has him rated as the #37 OT in the nation with 35+ offers.
-3* DT Taekion Reed- 6'4" 300 lb. Sign and place prospect.
-3* OG Josh Cooper- 6'7" 355 lb OG. It was reported that he was the best OL prospect in summer camps. Probable sign and place, but still a chance of getting in. #33 OG in the nation per 247
-3* OT Montravious Richardson- 6'7" 300 lb. Seems to be a project. Can't coach size though.
-2* P Tucker Day- Army all-american punter who can kick field goals as well.

When it's all said and done, Tyree Phillips and Montravious Richardson will be the only signees without multiple D1 offers.

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 12:01 AM

-3* OG Tyree Phillips- Huge JUCO offensive guard. 247 has him rated as the #1 JUCO OG in the nation.
-3* S/CB Jaquarius Landrews- 6'2" 200 lb JUCO DB. 247 composite has him rated as the #6 JUCO safety in the nation.
-3* S Landon Guidry- 6'1" 185 lb. 247 has him rated as an 88 and they #33 safety in the nation.
-3* OT Cordavien Suggs- 6'7" 285. Rosebowl says he is the best OT Mullen has signed. Scout has him rated as the #37 OT in the nation with 35+ offers.
-3* OG Josh Cooper- 6'7" 355 lb OG. It was reported that he was the best OL prospect in summer camps. Probable sign and place, but still a chance of getting in. #33 OG in the nation per 247
-3* OT Montravious Richardson- 6'7" 300 lb. Seems to be a project. Can't coach size though.

When it's all said and done, Tyree Phillips and Montravious Richardson will be the only signees without multiple D1 offers.

But unfortunately that's 2 of our 4 OL signees/commitments that are likely to qualify. Definite pattern here. By apparently not pulling either of Rhodes or Carty we REALLY need Cooper to get qualified. Otherwise, we are following up a 3 man OL signee class last year with a 4 man OL signee class this year. Won't take many of those guys not panning out and we will be hurting for numbers on the OL down the road. I mean if you are going to have to make a living on signing lower rated OL prospects you need to get enough of them to give yourself some cushion with guys that won't end up being real contributors.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 12:23 AM
But unfortunately that's 2 of our 4 OL signees/commitments that are likely to qualify. Definite pattern here. By apparently not pulling either of Rhodes or Carty we REALLY need Cooper to get qualified. Otherwise, we are following up a 3 man OL signee class last year with a 4 man OL signee class this year. Won't take many of those guys not panning out and we will be hurting for numbers on the OL down the road. I mean if you are going to have to make a living on signing lower rated OL prospects you need to get enough of them to give yourself some cushion with guys that won't end up being real contributors.

Yep

DeviousDawg
01-30-2017, 01:03 AM

Not sure where you are getting those numbers from. We have 5 OL signees/commits right now, and 4 of them will make it for sure(Phillips, Champion, Richardson, Suggs) and Cooper has a decent shot at making it too. We tend to redshirt 95% of the OL we sign, so the OL we bring in are in reality replacing the upcoming seniors rather than the graduated seniors. So this class is in reality replacing the Offensive lineman that were juniors in the 2016 season, and we only have one in Rankin. When you actually look at the numbers, we aren't in as much trouble as most people seem to think. I expect atleast one of the two JUCO guys will redshirt next season, let's say it's Phillips that redshirts.

2017 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun
M. Rankin

C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

T. Phillips

T. Champion

2018 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

K. Johnson
M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun

2018 recruit
C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

2018 recruit
J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

2018 recruit

T. Phillips
T. Champion

2018 JUCO

2018 is the key, gotta get another solid 5 guys and I think we will be in good shape going forward. The upcoming senior class is what's really killing us. We only have one rising senior and he was a JUCO guy. People bitched when Rankin was redshirted, but if he hadn't we would be screwed going into next year.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-30-2017, 01:16 AM
Not sure where you are getting those numbers from. We have 5 OL signees/commits right now, and 4 of them will make it for sure(Phillips, Champion, Richardson, Suggs) and Cooper has a decent shot at making it too. We tend to redshirt 95% of the OL we sign, so the OL we bring in are in reality replacing the upcoming seniors rather than the graduated seniors. So this class is in reality replacing the Offensive lineman that were juniors in the 2016 season, and we only have one in Rankin. When you actually look at the numbers, we aren't in as much trouble as most people seem to think. I expect atleast one of the two JUCO guys will redshirt next season, let's say it's Phillips that redshirts.

2017 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun
M. Rankin

C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

T. Phillips

T. Champion

2018 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

K. Johnson
M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun

2018 recruit
C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

2018 recruit
J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

2018 recruit

T. Phillips
T. Champion

2018 JUCO

2018 is the key, gotta get another solid 5 guys and I think we will be in good shape going forward. The upcoming senior class is what's really killing us. We only have one rising senior and he was a JUCO guy. People bitched when Rankin was redshirted, but if he hadn't we would be screwed going into next year.

Please email this data table to Mullen & Hev. Based on our OL recruiting over the last couple of years they may not know.

TUSK
01-30-2017, 02:01 AM
don't get too caught up on "stars", buddy....

development is where it's at...***

solodawg
01-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Great work, that's why I joined here!!! Keep it up...

ILOATHEBears
01-30-2017, 07:20 AM

One thing about this team with this list, the first list you shared added to the roster, we will have to put extra air in the bus tires cause when we roll up to a stadium on Saturdays nothing but GROWN MEN going to step offf

Bucky Dog
01-30-2017, 07:51 AM
I believe we end up getting all 3 on Gay, Bowie and Odom. Also, it's comical at this point how the CL mentions all of the guys as 3* except Gay and Bowie. They just want give us any credit. And that's fine with me!

I also heard that recruits in Oxford were upset this past weekend when they found out that Taco Bell was no longer open Inn oxford.

Dawgology
01-30-2017, 08:24 AM
I believe we end up getting all 3 on Gay, Bowie and Odom. Also, it's comical at this point how the CL mentions all of the guys as 3* except Gay and Bowie. They just want give us any credit. And that's fine with me!

I also heard that recruits in Oxford were upset this past weekend when they found out that Taco Bell was no longer open Inn oxford.

Do yourself a favor. Stop reading the CL. I canceled subscription and haven't looked at the online version in over a year. It's great not reading their propaganda.

Dawgology
01-30-2017, 08:27 AM
Enrolled:
S Brian Cole- 4*(ESPN)

Committed:

DE Aaron Odom- 4*(Scout)

I thought several of these counted back to the 2016 class but I don't see them listed that way on 247. How does that work...I don't understand. I also noticed that our class rank for the 16' class is up to 29...about where Mullen typically recruits.

starkvegasdawg
01-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Do yourself a favor. Stop reading the CL. I canceled subscription and haven't looked at the online version in over a year. It's great not reading their propaganda.

For all the truth the CL prints they might as well start writing articles about Hitler, The Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot being caught up in a love triangle on the UFO they are orbiting earth in.

Dawgology
01-30-2017, 08:34 AM
For all the truth the CL prints they might as well start writing articles about Hitler, The Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot being caught up in a love triangle on the UFO they are orbiting earth in.

For me it had gotten to the point where when State accomplished something good (or great) I dreaded getting the CL the next day because I didn't want to see how they were going to downplay, ignore, or passively ridicule it. I realized I didn't have to and canceled my subscription. It's sad how far that "sports section" has fallen and how they have allowed a small contingent lead their paper by the nose to irrelevancy. Have to protect the Old South there I guess...

smootness
01-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Our lower-ranked OL have turned out better than our higher-ranked guys. We focus entirely too much on the rankings of our OL commits.

smootness
01-30-2017, 09:06 AM
I thought several of these counted back to the 2016 class but I don't see them listed that way on 247. How does that work...I don't understand. I also noticed that our class rank for the 16' class is up to 29...about where Mullen typically recruits.

You can sign 25 in a given year, so if you sign less than 25 one year, you can sign the difference in December as JUCOs. Their scholarship numbers count back, but for recruiting sites, they're still considered part of the upcoming class.

So if we sign 20 one year, we can sign 30 the following year if 5 are early-enrolling JUCOs. But all 30 would be counted as part of the class signing in February on recruiting sites.

Cary Hudson's little bro
01-30-2017, 09:09 AM
We have pretty much secured our 2 OT's for the 2018 class in Kwatrivious Johnson and Nik Hogan. They are both very good tackle recruits.

TBuck is on a bunch of South Fla guards...we only need one

Really Clark?
01-30-2017, 09:19 AM
You can sign 25 in a given year, so if you sign less than 25 one year, you can sign the difference in December as JUCOs. Their scholarship numbers count back, but for recruiting sites, they're still considered part of the upcoming class.

So if we sign 20 one year, we can sign 30 the following year if 5 are early-enrolling JUCOs. But all 30 would be counted as part of the class signing in February on recruiting sites.

They don't have to be EE JUCO's. They can be Prep or HS early graduates as well.

Todd4State
01-30-2017, 09:20 AM

2017 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun
M. Rankin

C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

T. Phillips

T. Champion

2018 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

K. Johnson
M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun

2018 recruit
C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

2018 recruit
J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

2018 recruit

T. Phillips
T. Champion

2018 JUCO

Looking at your chart we have too many classes with just three high school o-linemen. That means relying on JUCO's which for the most part hasn't been a great option for us outside of Rankin and maybe Siddoway. There are also a lot of one offer, project, late signee due to barely qualifying types on that list. My guess is this is one of the only position groups on the team like this at this point.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Bo Bounds is being ridiculous today. He's found the most obscure recruiting ranking that makes OM look good & is now referencing it saying that MSU has the 32 ranked class & OM the 38 ranked class.

On 247, MSU is 26th & OM 56th. Not close.

Not to mention, with Gay, Bowie, & Odom on the board, MSU likely finishes in the top 20

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

Unless your Bama & can blue shirt

smootness
01-30-2017, 09:27 AM
They don't have to be EE JUCO's. They can be Prep or HS early graduates as well.

I don't think that's correct. They have to actually sign in that calendar year, which HS guys can't do. They still sign in February.

ETA: After searching, it appears you are correct. As long as they enroll early, they count back.

Dawgology
01-30-2017, 09:38 AM

I see now. Ok. Thanks.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Bo Bounds is being ridiculous today. He's found the most obscure recruiting ranking that makes OM look good & is now referencing it saying that MSU has the 32 ranked class & OM the 38 ranked class.

Not to mention, with Gay, Bowie, & Odom on the board, MSU likely finishes in the top 20

He's always ridiculous

BB30
01-30-2017, 09:45 AM
Our lower-ranked OL have turned out better than our higher-ranked guys. We focus entirely too much on the rankings of our OL commits.

I agree, outside of a few of the OL prospects in the country it is extremely hard to project what an OL will turn in to. There are too many variables with OL. That being said we clearly haven't knocked it out of the park on OL as that is where we have gotten beat the last two years. You have to put together a complete OL, we have had 2 or 3 guys that play well but one hole up front can kill you. Our starting 5 this year played well towards the end of the season but our depth has hurt us. I don't like using bama as a measuring stick because they have owned just about everybody up front and our OL actually held their own against them but we have to have depth up front on both sides of the LOS if we want to have a shot at them.

WSOPdawg
01-30-2017, 09:56 AM
don't get too caught up on "stars", buddy....

development is where it's at...***

says sarcastically with tongue in cheek... lolololol

WSOPdawg
01-30-2017, 09:57 AM

This ^^^^^

smootness
01-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I don't think our problem against teams like Bama has been the OL. Sure, if you want to knock Bama's DL off the line, you're going to have to have a stud OL, but who has an OL that can do that? Our problem against teams like Bama has been playcalling. We get away from what we do best and try to beat them at their own game, which is never, ever going to work.

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:00 AM

2017 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun
M. Rankin

C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

T. Phillips

T. Champion

2018 Season:

Redshirt
Freshmen
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

K. Johnson
M. Richardson
D. Parker
M. Story
D. Calhoun

2018 recruit
C. Suggs
S. Reese
D. Williams
R. Cochran

2018 recruit
J. Cooper?
G. Eiland
H. Moon
E. Jenkins

2018 recruit

T. Phillips
T. Champion

2018 JUCO

Looks like your table sums up the numbers I was referencing quite well. We had 3 HS OL signees last year which you show and this year we should have 4 OL that are set to qualify (2 HS/2 JUCO) and a 3rd HS signee that is very questionable to qualify. But let's say Cooper doesn't qualify, then you essentially have 5 HS OL signees in 2 combined back to back classes. I think at this point we have to be committed to bringing in JUCO OL on a very regular basis for the foreseeable future. Not that that is a bad thing if you get good ones.

Jarius
01-30-2017, 10:06 AM

He has a show on ESPN radio. I'm sure that's why he is using their rankings. I won't argue that ESPN is the least credible source for recruiting rankings though.

Jarius
01-30-2017, 10:07 AM
I don't think our problem against teams like Bama has been the OL. Sure, if you want to knock Bama's DL off the line, you're going to have to have a stud OL, but who has an OL that can do that? Our problem against teams like Bama has been playcalling. We get away from what we do best and try to beat them at their own game, which is never, ever going to work.

Did you see Dak Prescott play against them in 2015? He deserves an award for not getting murdered. Our issue has been that we aren't as talented as them anywhere outside the QB position.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
We're not signing enough high end HS offensive linemen. Period. Signing 2-3 HS linemen per year that qualify is a death wish in this league....especially when 1 or 2 of the 3 aren't prospects that anybody in our league wanted anyway. We can make excuses or cite the Juco guys all we want....but we simply aren't signing enough of the Lashleys, Pattersons, or God forbid an actual stud OLman out of HS. We have a run first system that had Dak Prescott and now Fitz & Keytaon, as well as Aeris & Hill....there's no excuse for us to be losing on linemen to South Carolina and that shitty offense. We should be elite OL recruiters with our offensive style...but instead we sign three low end 3 stars every year and then hope that after a redshirt year, and then 2 development years, we MIGHT get a "serviceable" OLineman for his last 2 years. That is pathetic, embarrassing, and inexcusable. Even unacceptable imo.

ETA: And stop with the "who has an OL that pushes Bama around?" stuff....how bout a line that can dominate South Alabama? Is that too much to ask? Stop with the excuses...we aren't getting the job done by a long shot on OL recruiting. The first step is everyone admitting it.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 10:28 AM
We're not signing enough high end HS offensive linemen. Period. Signing 2-3 HS linemen per year that qualify is a death wish in this league....especially when 1 or 2 of the 3 aren't prospects that anybody in our league wanted anyway. We can make excuses or cite the Juco guys all we want....but we simply aren't signing enough of the Lashleys, Pattersons, or God forbid an actual stud OLman out of HS. We have a run first system that had Dak Prescott and now Fitz & Keytaon, as well as Aeris & Hill....there's no excuse for us to be losing on linemen to South Carolina and that shitty offense. We should be elite OL recruiters with our offensive style...but instead we sign three low end 3 stars every year and then hope that after a redshirt year, and then 2 development years, we MIGHT get a "serviceable" OLineman for his last 2 years. That is pathetic, embarrassing, and inexcusable. Even unacceptable imo.

ETA: And stop with the "who has an OL that pushes Bama around?" stuff....how bout a line that can dominate South Alabama? Is that too much to ask? Stop with the excuses...we aren't getting the job done by a long shot on OL recruiting. The first step is everyone admitting it.

While I agree about oline recruiting for the most part, CBs were a much bigger problem last season and I don't see any top flight CBs committed. There's no outrage over that though.

The USA commit is pretty misleading... we had 34 rushes for 239 yards (7.03 per carry)

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Looking at your chart we have too many classes with just three high school o-linemen. That means relying on JUCO's which for the most part hasn't been a great option for us outside of Rankin and maybe Siddoway. There are also a lot of one offer, project, late signee due to barely qualifying types on that list. My guess is this is one of the only position groups on the team like this at this point.

^^This, glad to see someone else is seeing the issue I am that these repeated low number of HS OL signees is forcing us into the boat of HAVING to sign a couple of JUCO OL per year for the near future.

1bigdawg
01-30-2017, 10:32 AM
While I agree about oline recruiting for the most part, CBs were a much bigger problem last season and I don't see any top flight CBs committed. There's no outrage over that though.

The USA commit is pretty misleading... we had 34 rushes for 239 yards (7.03 per carry)

It is never about the OL with you. Coincidence?

Dawgtini
01-30-2017, 10:34 AM
^^This, glad to see someone else is seeing the issue I am that these repeated low number of HS OL signees is forcing us into the boat of HAVING to sign a couple of JUCO OL per year for the near future.
Is there no benefit given that many of these JUCO linemen were signed and placed by us?

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
While I agree about oline recruiting for the most part, CBs were a much bigger problem last season and I don't see any top flight CBs committed. There's no outrage over that though

Only bc we're talking OL, ha. We have a problem at CB too...BUT, unlike OL, Juco guys and even young HS athletes can step in and produce at CB more quickly than OL in this league. Plus, we're all so used to seeing soft zone coverage that most feel like whatever CB talent we have will be wasted anyway by playing no press man coverage. Meanwhile, OL is the lifeblood of our offensive philosophy, yet we land nobody. When you look at it that way, it's easier to see why OL is such a big deal.

That's not even getting into the "winning the trenches" argument, "run the ball and stop the run" argument, or the fact that defense is no longer good anywhere. Hell even Bama gave up 35 or whatever in the Title game. But you're right about CBs

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:36 AM
He's always ridiculous

Well, he is tied to the hip of Tom Luginbill and the ESPN recruiting rankings which is widely considered the least reliable of all the recruiting sites. Luginbill lost a LOT of credibility with me with his poor rating and lack of knowledge on Keytaon Thompson. It seems like all of their rating is done off camp drills or something.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 10:37 AM
It is never about the OL with you. Coincidence?

I just think oline catches all the blame when it should be catching some, not all

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:38 AM
I agree, outside of a few of the OL prospects in the country it is extremely hard to project what an OL will turn in to. There are too many variables with OL. That being said we clearly haven't knocked it out of the park on OL as that is where we have gotten beat the last two years. You have to put together a complete OL, we have had 2 or 3 guys that play well but one hole up front can kill you. Our starting 5 this year played well towards the end of the season but our depth has hurt us. I don't like using bama as a measuring stick because they have owned just about everybody up front and our OL actually held their own against them but we have to have depth up front on both sides of the LOS if we want to have a shot at them.

I don't care where they are rated coming out of HS but when you are never getting any drafted then that shows a problem. Guys like David Stewart and Gabe Jackson were not rated high coming out of HS but they were rated high leaving college. None of Hevesy's recruits haven't panned out like that to date.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Yet we scored 20 points. So when the chips were down in the red zone, we couldn't run the ball and score. Same argument y'all all tried to make about scoring on Bama, LSU, etc. Our offense depends on us being able to run the ball in the red zone, especially last year with a new QB. And 239 yds is not good with a new QB & an offense built around the run...and it was USA who had several key DL out. Embarrassing.

But I don't want the debate to change into a USA game breakdown. If you have to resort to complimenting our OL in a game we lost to a SunBelt school, my point still remains valid.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Yet we scored 20 points. So when the chips were down in the red zone, we couldn't run the ball and score. Same argument y'all all tried to make about scoring on Bama, LSU, etc. Our offense depends on us being able to run the ball in the red zone, especially last year with a new QB. And 239 yds is not good with a new QB & an offense built around the run...and it was USA who had several key DL out. Embarrassing.

I blame Mullen more than the oline. If fitz and aeris were in there, we'd have run for 500 and won by 3 TDs

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:46 AM
I just think oline catches all the blame when it should be catching some, not all

They don't get "all the blame"....they are just the position we never recruit strong, so when it correlates to subpar play it makes people mad. Its an obvious problem and yet we cannot fix it. You know Mullen knows it's an issue...yet Hevesy can't fix it.

1bigdawg
01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
I blame Mullen more than the oline. If fitz and aeris were in there, we'd have run for 500 and won by 3 TDs

Again, it is always someone other than the OL with you. We cannot seem to run once we are in the red zone against almost anybody.

The critical recruiting point is that if we are not going to sign highly rated HS OLs that have a better chance of panning out, then we have to either sign a bunch of under rated guys to weed through to find the diamond or we have to gamble on succeeding with JUCOs which have typically 1 to 1.5 good seasons at best.

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Is there no benefit given that many of these JUCO linemen were signed and placed by us?

While its good that we have some guys in the JUCO pipeline that we will likely eventually get back there is no way that I believe they are getting developed in JUCO the way they would be if they were already in our program. I think that shows in the fact that we hardly ever get a JUCO OL ready to contribute as a Junior. In fact, its becoming common now for us to sign JUCOs and then redshirt them. But I would rather do that than waste a year where they don't help us and then only get one decent year from them.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:50 AM
I don't care where they are rated coming out of HS but when you are never getting any drafted then that shows a problem. Guys like David Stewart and Gabe Jackson were not rated high coming out of HS but they were rated high leaving college. None of Hevesy's recruits haven't panned out like that to date.

Exactly. If Hev were making lower rated guys into NFL players, I could live with the poor OL recruiting rankings...but he's not. So...

Meanwhile, we have had tons of turnover at secondary coach but still have guys like Banks, Slay, Redmond, Calhoun, in the NFL. We've had the same OL coach for 8 YEARS and can't recruit or develop a guy into an NFL player?

Why would anyone even want to defend that pathetic shit? Just to argue?

msstate7
01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
They don't get "all the blame"....they are just the position we never recruit strong, so when it correlates to subpar play it makes people mad. Its an obvious problem and yet we cannot fix it. You know Mullen knows it's an issue...yet Hevesy can't fix it.

'15 was terrible bc we changed philosophies... we went pass first. '16 started rough bc we were breaking in a new qb and Mullen continued to give Holloway and shump too many carries. Once fitz settled in and we got back to a power identify with aeris and fitz running, we looked a ton better upfront. Mullen has to stick with it and stop falling in love with scat backs running every down

1bigdawg
01-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Other than Champion, who are you talking about? That is one, but it should be a good one. On the other hand, he has not produced yet either.

Now we may place one or two this year, but who knows if they will pan out or be back.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 10:54 AM
'15 was terrible bc we changed philosophies... we went pass first. '16 started rough bc we were breaking in a new qb and Mullen continued to give Holloway and shump too many carries. Once fitz settled in and we got back to a power identify with aeris and fitz running, we looked a ton better upfront. Mullen has to stick with it and stop falling in love with scat backs running every down

Excuses excuses excuses. A good OL overcomes a "pass first" excuse, and a good OL should overcome Holloway & Shump...especially against the shitty teams. Hevesy has been here 8 YEARS! Why has our run game still got excuses when our "Run Game Coordinator" has been here for 8. Damn. Years?

I agree Mullen has made frustrating choices, but bad OL play is bad OL play

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 10:57 AM

'15 we essentially had to change philosophies. Yes, I know we had Dak throwing the ball but we could not run that year against ANYONE, not even Troy. What little running production we got was from Dak being chased in the pocket and taking off. Very few designed runs were successful for us in 2015. Now granted it got much better this year especially in the 2nd half of the year.

Percho
01-30-2017, 11:00 AM

I think Om is going to count Powe again this year.***

msstate7
01-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Excuses excuses excuses. A good OL overcomes a "pass first" excuse, and a good OL should overcome Holloway & Shump...especially against the shitty teams. Hevesy has been here 8 YEARS! Why has our run game still got excuses when our "Run Game Coordinator" has been here for 8. Damn. Years?

Rushing ranks in sec...
'16 = 5th (4th yds/att)
'15 = 12th (8th yds/att)
'14 = 3rd (3rd yds/att)
'13 = 8th (9th)
'12 = 10th (6th)
'11 = 5th (4th)
'10 = 2nd (6th)

Only terrible years were when we went pass happy with dak and Tyler at qb in '12

smootness
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Did you see Dak Prescott play against them in 2015? He deserves an award for not getting murdered. Our issue has been that we aren't as talented as them anywhere outside the QB position.

Yes. Again, we're not going to have an OL that is going to knock Bama's DL off the line pretty much ever. We have to do a better job of playcalling to mask that. We've tried just running right at them and standing in the pocket, and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work.

Dak ran the ball 26 times against them in 2015. That is insanity.

1bigdawg
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM

This is right. The reason Mullen ran Holloway so much is that in practice, the way that plays were drawn up, Holloway would break one of every three or four runs for huge gains. Against real competition, even USA, the holes did not open up.

So blame Mullen for calling plays that work most of the time when the OL blocks. I guess you (Mstate7) are saying that he should know better. Mullen not being able to call things because the OL cannot execute is Mullen's fault? Never blame the OL.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Bottom line, I'm just sick of every year the question mark being the OL, and then every recruiting class the weakest position we recruited being the OL. 1+1 clearly = 2, and I'm sick of the shit. We should and COULD recruit so much better on the OL, but we pay $500k+ to cripple ourselves. So dumb. But I'll stop arguing it (if ms7 will quit provoking me ha)

Duckdog
01-30-2017, 11:04 AM
What????? No 5 stars????? WE ARE GONNA SUCK

msstate7
01-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Bottom line, I'm just sick of every year the question mark being the OL, and then every recruiting class the weakest position we recruited being the OL. 1+1 clearly = 2, and I'm sick of the shit. We should and COULD recruit so much better on the OL, but we pay $500k+ to cripple ourselves. So dumb. But I'll stop arguing it (if ms7 will quit provoking me ha)

We can end this... just admit I'm right haha

Again, I certainly don't think the oline is above criticism. I just think they're attacked 24/7 so I take up for them some

1bigdawg
01-30-2017, 11:14 AM
We have four HS OL commits. Other than a special teams player, they are the four lowest rated players on our commit list. Even two of those are potential sign and place candidates.

Today, we are criticizing OL recruiting. Can anyone other than Mstate7 defend OL recruiting.

Really Clark?
01-30-2017, 11:26 AM
We have four HS OL commits. Other than a special teams player, they are the four lowest rated players on our commit list. Even two of those are potential sign and place candidates.

Today, we are criticizing OL recruiting. Can anyone other than Mstate7 defend OL recruiting.

Not going to defend Hev recruiting, already said where I stand on that. But that is off somewhat. Reed is listed as a OT but he is being recruited as a DT. I can see that confusion. You also need to understand OL rankings are hard and usually they fall lower in ratings eventhough their offers may be good. Suggs offer list is over a dozen Power 5 teams eventhough he is a mid 3 star. No elite offers but that is a lot of Power 5 offers. If you take a WR with that many offers he is a high 3 or low 4 star guy. It's just so hard to rate OL. So you really have to look at their offers as well.

Cooper if he had better grades would get a better rating because more Power 5 schools would have looked at him. TCU came after him hard late to visit once they saw his grades trending upward. So you have to look a little beyond OL ratings to get an idea of how good they are and you need to track how those offers continue. Bateman has gone the opposite direction, eventhough he is rated higher because of several good early offers, he can't commit to a lot of those schools now. OL is tricky. That being said, Hev is an albatross to our recruiting, he can coach, but there are recruiting issues.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2017, 12:03 PM

THIS ALL DAY LONG!! Why are we even referencing that Sh*t-Bird paper on this board?

Jarius
01-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Yes. Again, we're not going to have an OL that is going to knock Bama's DL off the line pretty much ever. We have to do a better job of playcalling to mask that. We've tried just running right at them and standing in the pocket, and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work.

Dak ran the ball 26 times against them in 2015. That is insanity.

He was sacked 9 damn times. That wasn't working either. Our oline isn't as bad as some people like to say it is but if you think play calling is our problem against Alabama you are insane. They have way more talent than we do and it does not matter what plays we call.

Todd4State
01-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Champion is the only one that was signed and placed by us. I'm not counting Cooper and Reed yet because Cooper may qualify and apparently there is a chance Reed plays d-line.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Also of note on oline recruiting... we got 5 guys that we targeted. None of them were scrambles after misses, so we'll find out something about our oline recruiting evaluation

Todd4State
01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Also of note on oline recruiting... we got 5 guys that we targeted. None of them were scrambles after misses, so we'll find out something about our oline recruiting evaluation

D'Marcus Hayes says hello. And Saahdiq Charles.

Interesting that every year we "target" guys that either have no offers or are barely able to qualify to the point where no one else wants to fool with the risk.

Edit to say re-read and misinterpreted post as ms7 saying we got all of our targets. Carry on.

dawgday166
01-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Rushing ranks in sec...
'16 = 5th (4th yds/att)
'15 = 12th (8th yds/att)
'14 = 3rd (3rd yds/att)
'13 = 8th (9th)
'12 = 10th (6th)
'11 = 5th (4th)
'10 = 2nd (6th)

Only terrible years were when we went pass happy with dak and Tyler at qb in '12

Come on now 7. We went "pass happy" when we couldn't run the ball against a crappy AU team in 15.

Todd4State
01-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Come on now 7. We went "pass happy" when we couldn't run the ball against a crappy AU team in 15.

Well we went pass happy because we were always behind the sticks. I don't think it was intentional. Dan needs to stay away from scatbacks. And I don't consider Josh a "small" back at 215 or whatever he was. Holloway at 150- too small.

But when we get a bigger running back it's interesting how we always go back to being run first.

dawgday166
01-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Well we went pass happy because we were always behind the sticks. I don't think it was intentional. Dan needs to stay away from scatbacks. And I don't consider Josh a "small" back at 215 or whatever he was. Holloway at 150- too small.

But when we get a bigger running back it's interesting how we always go back to being run first.

Josh is similar, although not as fast as, Zeke. Low center of gravity about 215 - 225. Not the same thing as a scatback who isn't even that fast to begin with.

smootness
01-30-2017, 12:53 PM
He was sacked 9 damn times. That wasn't working either. Our oline isn't as bad as some people like to say it is but if you think play calling is our problem against Alabama you are insane. They have way more talent than we do and it does not matter what plays we call.

I mostly agree with that. I'm saying our playcalling is dumb precisely because they have way more talent than we do. You've got to take shots against them. We just line up and try to play a conventional offense, and it's never going to work.

Anyway, my point is that of course our OL talent isn't good enough against them. But whose is?

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Josh is similar, although not as fast as, Zeke. Low center of gravity about 215 - 225. Not the same thing as a scatback who isn't even that fast to begin with.

Still believe Josh has the ability to have been a very good NFL RB but unfortunately his biggest problem is attitude and immaturity. If his head was screwed on straight he would have at least stayed with a team.

DeviousDawg
01-30-2017, 01:04 PM
It's really no big deal if Cooper doesn't qualify. It sounds like he is at the point where if he doesn't make it he can go to a prep school and then sign again next year with 5 to play 4. If we can sign 5+ solid guys in the 2018 class, I think we will be in pretty decent shape going forward, numbers wise.

On the JUCO OL recruiting... If you don't like it, you probably just need to get over it. Mullen has signed 8 JUCO OL since 2010(if you include Carmon). That's one a year on average. Most of them were just depth guys, and I'm ok with that to balance the classes. Let's try to stay away from the Joq Johnson, Dylan Holley and Joey Trapps of the world though.

Anyone with eyes can tell that we need to recruit more talented guys on the offensive line. The offensive line has the most guys on the field out of any position group, yet it's the only position, other than safety, that hasn't had a guy signed by Mullen get drafted(Gabe Jackson was a Croom recruit). Hevesy is clearly the problem here, and if I am a offensive line recruit, I would probably stay away too. My point was only that we will be ok numbers wise, talent wise, however, is a different story. Going into next year, Suggs, Champion, Moon, Rankin, Cooper, Reese and D. Williams will be the only guys on our roster that could have legitimately signed at another P5 school. Need to double that number.

KB21
01-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Still believe Josh has the ability to have been a very good NFL RB but unfortunately his biggest problem is attitude and immaturity. If his head was screwed on straight he would have at least stayed with a team.

Which is precisely the reason he didn't not get playing time early on in his career.

Joe Schmedlap
01-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Boom. Nailed it.

Commercecomet24
01-30-2017, 01:31 PM
It's really no big deal if Cooper doesn't qualify. It sounds like he is at the point where if he doesn't make it he can go to a prep school and then sign again next year with 5 to play 4. If we can sign 5+ solid guys in the 2018 class, I think we will be in pretty decent shape going forward, numbers wise.

On the JUCO OL recruiting... If you don't like it, you probably just need to get over it. Mullen has signed 8 JUCO OL since 2010(if you include Carmon). That's one a year on average. Most of them were just depth guys, and I'm ok with that to balance the classes. Let's try to stay away from the Joq Johnson, Dylan Holley and Joey Trapps of the world though.

Anyone with eyes can tell that we need to recruit more talented guys on the offensive line. The offensive line has the most guys on the field out of any position group, yet it's the only position, other than safety, that hasn't had a guy signed by Mullen get drafted(Gabe Jackson was a Croom recruit). Hevesy is clearly the problem here, and if I am a offensive line recruit, I would probably stay away too. My point was only that we will be ok numbers wise, talent wise, however, is a different story. Going into next year, Suggs, Champion, Moon, Rankin, Cooper, Reese and D. Williams will be the only guys on our roster that could have legitimately signed at another P5 school. Need to double that number.

Very accurate assessment!

dawgday166
01-30-2017, 01:45 PM

I kinda think there is a team or 2 out there that could possibly use him too ... but you're right about the internal demons he's chasing.

msstate7
01-30-2017, 01:55 PM
I kinda think there is a team or 2 out there that could possibly use him too ... but you're right about the internal demons he's chasing.

Wasn't one of the biggest strikes against jrob by the colts his pass protection? If you're a fringe NFL rb prospect, you better be able to pick up a blitz

maroonmania
01-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Wasn't one of the biggest strikes against jrob by the colts his pass protection? If you're a fringe NFL rb prospect, you better be able to pick up a blitz

That was always the excuse for why he didn't play here until his JR year. Of course that never stopped Holloway from playing although JRob probably had no interest in blocking while Holloway just didn't have the stature to block.

dawgday166
01-30-2017, 02:43 PM

Yea, I don't think blocking is his favorite thing. I noticed Zeke does it pretty well. Combine that with Zeke's speed and there is some distance between the 2 backs.

I remember in 14 getting pissed at JRob during Bama game cause he gave a piss poor attempt at blocking one of their LBs that was bearing down on Dak. You could tell he didn't really want any part of the matchup. I think Dak either ended up getting sacked or threw an incomplete pass.

dawgday166
01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
That was always the excuse for why he didn't play here until his JR year. Of course that never stopped Holloway from playing although JRob probably had no interest in blocking while Holloway just didn't have the stature to block.

165 lb guy that is sticking his nose in there and trying, I'll admire the hell out of ... but he's still gonna get your QB killed. Same result either way.

Reason2succeed
01-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Is Hev still getting labeled by NFL scouts because of the Derek Sharrod bust? Remember they ranted and raved about how good he was supposed to be then he went to the Packers and never got off the bench (kind of like all of the players OM sent to the league last year).

msstate7
01-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Is Hev still getting labeled by NFL scouts because of the Derek Sharrod bust? Remember they ranted and raved about how good he was supposed to be then he went to the Packers and never got off the bench (kind of like all of the players OM sent to the league last year).
Thought DS was injury riddled

Dawgtini
01-30-2017, 03:06 PM

If I remember correctly, he actually got the starting nod and shortly thereafter blew out his knee. Never recovered back to pre injury form.

Really Clark?
01-30-2017, 03:12 PM
If I remember correctly, he actually got the starting nod and shortly thereafter blew out his knee. Never recovered back to pre injury form.

Broken leg during his rookie year. Broke his tibia and fibula and required surgery. Missed the entire next season because he couldn't perform right. Ended up with ankle problem from the break and surgery.

Dawgtini
01-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Broken leg during his rookie year. Broke his tibia and fibula and required surgery. Missed the entire next season because he couldn't perform right. Ended up with ankle problem from the break and surgery.
That's right. Broken leg. Not an "OM style bust" as R2S stated above, which was my main point.

Reason2succeed
01-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Sorry. I didn't remember. I guess I was expecting to see him play for a long time. Is t be our last big time OL drafted?

Turfdawg67
01-30-2017, 05:41 PM

We went pass happy because that was a prerequisite for Dak to return. A promise to get him ready for the NFL. Guess what, it worked!!

Bdawg
01-30-2017, 08:42 PM

I think he was using espn rankings because he was talking to Luginbill this morning. I'm assuming because I don't look at espn rankings