PDA

View Full Version : Baseball roster has been released

MaroonFlounder
01-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Lots of new transfers. I hope some can make an impact like Lowe and Kruger did last year. Any idea who we can look forward to seeing?

At least one pitcher is listed that I know is done due to TJ surgery.

And a catcher is listed that I think will be out due to grades.

Can anyone elaborate further?

chisaintdog3
01-27-2017, 11:17 PM
Padgett, James, and Small are some of the pitchers that are out.

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 02:16 AM
Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Riley Self, Tanner Poole, and Harrison Bragg as far as the newcomers go. Bragg did struggle in the fall, but I noticed that he seemed to pick it up some after Cannizaro was hired and then he hit a home run in a scrimmage today. Andrew Mahoney might surprise some people coming out of the bullpen from the left side and of course I am intrigued by Logan Cooke pitching although I don't think he will have a major role on the team.

Add Noah Hughes to chisaintsdog3's list and I think Hayden Marze who made the roster is dealing with some injury issues as well.

Lots of rumors about Marrero and his grades, but if they were an issue I don't think he would be on the team at this point. He was outplayed by Josh Lovelady in the fall anyway and I think Lovelady starts. Dustin Skelton had a good fall and I think he and Marrero will battle for the back-up spot. Skelton was drafted by the Blue Jays out of HS so he has some talent plus he also played some third base for us in the fall. Hopefully Elih gets his head on straight and then starts as a junior and has a good year for us.

Political Hack
01-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Cody Brown at 1st? That's interesting.

Steakonastick
01-28-2017, 09:41 AM
Add james to the list of pitchers out. He just had surgery a few days ago.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Where is Will Brooks out of Madison Central?

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Where is Will Brooks out of Madison Central?

Northwest MS Communiity College.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Northwest MS Communiity College.

For some reason I thought he was here in the fall. Did he leave at Christmas or has he been at JUCO all along?

What is the reason? Competition? Grades? Trouble? Got cut? More playing time? New coach? Do you know?

Dallas_Dawg
01-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Is Cole Gordon going to start at 1B?
Who starts at 3rd?

bulldogcountry1
01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Is Cole Gordon going to start at 1B?
Who starts at 3rd?

I think it's Gordon's to lose.

About 1/3rd of the roster worked at 3rd in the fall. I think we will see a lot of Alexander there, but really depends on a lot factors.

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 05:20 PM
For some reason I thought he was here in the fall. Did he leave at Christmas or has he been at JUCO all along?

What is the reason? Competition? Grades? Trouble? Got cut? More playing time? New coach? Do you know?

He was at MSU in the fall. I heard he broke a team rule. Happened when Cohen was still the coach.

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 05:22 PM
I think it's Gordon's to lose.

About 1/3rd of the roster worked at 3rd in the fall. I think we will see a lot of Alexander there, but really depends on a lot factors.

I agree about Gordon.

I think Bragg will get the first look at third base if he continues to hit well.

Right now the pitching is worrying me because everyone is getting shelled. It has only been two scrimmages though.

hailstate17
01-28-2017, 05:48 PM
In my experience, unless you have a team that is bad offensively, scrimmages tend to favor the offense. I've never really understood it, but wherever I have played or coached it has been the case. I know we have talent on the mound. However, I'm not sure how many starters we truly have with all of those guys injured. I think we are going to have to Johnny Wholestaff a lot of games. Also, I've been told from good sources that Henderson was a brutal hire.

maroonmania
01-28-2017, 06:22 PM
I think Bragg will get the first look at third base if he continues to hit well.

I'm not aware that he has ever hit well. Every time I look at his stats he seems to be hitting sub .250.

DeviousDawg
01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm not aware that he has ever hit well. Every time I look at his stats he seems to be hitting sub .250.

I agree. If he can't hit .250, he won't play very much. I do agree with Todd on Lovelady. He is elite on the devensive side, and if he can hit .285+ that's just icing on the cake.

Gonna be interesting to see how the lineup shapes up.

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 06:43 PM

I think ever since Cannizzaro joined he has started to turn a corner. He seemed to finish the fall pretty strong and yesterday he had a good day including a home run and today he went 3-3 with a double and two RBI's. I'm cautiously optimistic about him at this point and we will see if he can sustain it.

MaroonFlounder
01-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Also, I've been told from good sources that Henderson was a brutal hire.

Brutal meaning what exactly?

Skydawg1
01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Brutal meaning what exactly?Yeah, what do you mean by that?

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 08:52 PM
I don't know if Henderson was a brutal hire or not but I'm worried about our pitching. Too many injuries. We're going to need our bullpen to step it up big time. We're only going to be as good as our pitching is and we could very well be starting three underclassmen. No one appears to be really stepping up in the scrimmages.

If Henderson doesn't work out I hope Cannizarro can land Alan Dunn from LSU.

Skydawg1
01-28-2017, 09:00 PM
If Henderson doesn't work out I hope Cannizarro can land Alan Dunn from LSU.That would be a huge accomplishment.

hailstate17
01-28-2017, 09:24 PM
Meaning that he just isn't a good pitching coach. Especially compared to the guy we had last year. However, the same person also told me that he believes Canizzaro is a homerun hire. He really knows how to connect with the players and teach.

Todd4State
01-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Meaning that he just isn't a good pitching coach. Especially compared to the guy we had last year. However, the same person also told me that he believes Canizzaro is a homerun hire. He really knows how to connect with the players and teach.

I think he is a good pitching coach. That said, I think Carl Torbush was also a good DC at least at one time. What I'm getting at is I have a couple of concerns about Henderson. The first one is he was fired somewhat unfairly by Kentucky IMO. He had a winning season and maintained their success that they had under Cohen for the most part. He didn't do a bad job there overall and they are one of the more difficult SEC jobs because of where they are and the fact that they have to compete with Louisville. It looks to me like they kind of decided to go in a different direction more than anything and hired Mingione and I think they are also building a brand new stadium to go along with their reboot. But my concern is that Henderson is still scarred by being fired and that it may carry over with us.

At first, I was fine with him being with Cohen because I felt like Henderson being around Cohen would possibly recharge his batteries and get him back on track to possibly becoming a head coach again somewhere else. However, then Cannizaro became the coach but he didn't change the staff otherwise and that has changed things. I'm concerned that Henderson being with someone he hasn't really worked with before and didn't bring in his guy to be the pitching coach might have some bad consequences potentially. It could sort of be like Dan and Torbush during Dan's first year here. My hope was that Canizzaro would bring in his own guy as the pitching coach but that didn't happen. I have a feeling that if Canizzaro could have picked his own pitching coach it probably wouldn't have been Henderson. And I do agree that he is a downgrade from Butch and Wes.

Hopefully it will work out where Henderson can get a head coaching job pretty quickly in the near future.

Political Hack
01-29-2017, 08:54 AM
We're going to platoon first base with 2 or 3 guys early in the season. Nobody has a firm grasp on the starter spot there. One of them isn't hitting well and one of them can't dig a ball out of the dirt.

HSVDawg
01-29-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't know if Henderson was a brutal hire or not but I'm worried about our pitching. Too many injuries. We're going to need our bullpen to step it up big time. We're only going to be as good as our pitching is and we could very well be starting three underclassmen. No one appears to be really stepping up in the scrimmages.

If Henderson doesn't work out I hope Cannizarro can land Alan Dunn from LSU.

It was kind of an odd situation all the way around where Cohen picked replacements for Johnson and Mingione and then basically handed them off to Cannizaro. I'd almost have rather had Cannizaro bring in his own guys. And maybe he would have made the same choices, who knows.

Political Hack
01-29-2017, 11:38 AM

Grades and trouble. He didn't play in the fall even. Hope for his sake he can get on track in juco.

Political Hack
01-29-2017, 11:39 AM
It was kind of an odd situation all the way around where Cohen picked replacements for Johnson and Mingione and then basically handed them off to Cannizaro. I'd almost have rather had Cannizaro bring in his own guys. And maybe he would have made the same choices, who knows.

There's plenty of time for that in the future, but the team needs some consistency with such a short turn around time for a new HC. Too much turnover given the timing would've been a death sentence for 2017.

The Federalist Engineer
01-29-2017, 02:57 PM
If we are talking Catcher, he did play in the fall. Hitting stats not great. But, I think the Will and ability will kick in. I just want multiple good years from him. Pro Scouts say only the hitting is brutal right now. Don't know anything about grades

chisaintdog3
01-29-2017, 03:32 PM
I know he will play mostly OF/DH but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooker at 1B some this year.

Todd4State
01-29-2017, 03:38 PM
I know he will play mostly OF/DH but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooker at 1B some this year.

I think that's his best position in the pros. Having to take him out because of defensive purposes hurt us last year late in games last year if it was close.

bulldogcountry1
01-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Deleted