PDA

View Full Version : Things that were good

PassInterference
09-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I was a little surprised to see Shumpert play. Thought he might redshirt. Maybe PT was a crootin promise. There is already not enough carries for all the talented RBs we have. That said - SHUMP IS A DAMN BEAST!!!!! The last time I was this impressed with a MSU freshman RB, it was Jerious Norwood. But Shump is no Norwood. I'm not saying Shump is Walter Peyton, but he reminds me of Walter Peyton. He's got some shake and he will also run your ass over. Him and J Rob next year are gonna be our best tandem since Bouie and Davis - and probably better than those guys.

The Dak/Williams Attack was everything we wanted. And not because we were playing lowly Alcorn. There were 2 RB sets with creativity. There was an effective zone read.

Our tall receivers ran deep curls, had high balls thrown to them, and used their height. Joe Morrow made some plays.

We rans some plays designed for our speed guys. We need to use our speed guys. Holloway got some touches.

All of these things were great to see and I hope we see them all next week.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Shumpert is a better back than Robinson, Milton, and Griffin. Therefore he needs to play. Robinson is a good short yardage guy, but struggles in most things that aren't done with the ball.

Shumpert and Perkins will probably be our backs. I was also very impressed how Shumpert caught the ball.

Shumpert's comparison is Marshawn Lynch, not Walter Payton.

Everyone thinks we are deep at running back. I guess we are numbers wise, but when I see what Georgia is running out there, we don't have those kind of guys and thus we need to play the most talented guys.

msstate7
09-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Shumpert is a better back than Robinson, Milton, and Griffin. Therefore he needs to play. Robinson is a good short yardage guy, but struggles in most things that aren't done with the ball.

Shumpert and Perkins will probably be our backs. I was also very impressed how Shumpert caught the ball.

Shumpert's comparison is Marshawn Lynch, not Walter Payton.

Everyone thinks we are deep at running back. I guess we are numbers wise, but when I see what Georgia is running out there, we don't have those kind of guys and thus we need to play the most talented guys.

Who else can match Marshall & gurley? Maybe bama. Maybe...

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Who else can match Marshall & gurley? Maybe bama. Maybe...

Well... no one, but what I'm trying to say is, don't tell me we are stacked at running back. We have some nice depth, but we are in no position to be redshirting our best overall back

msstate7
09-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Well... no one, but what I'm trying to say is, don't tell me we are stacked at running back. We have some nice depth, but we are in no position to be redshirting our best overall back

I agree

PassInterference
09-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Fair point. We are stacked with serviceable backs. But until when/if Shumpert gets a lot more experience, we don't have any RB that is going to go out and dominate like Gurley, Yeldon, or a few of MSU's historical best RBs.

whosyourdawgy
09-07-2013, 08:56 PM
You don't get Gurley's all that often. I disagree with you on our rb's. I like all of them in their own rights. Perk is solid but he danced a little too much against OSU. Robinson and Griffin are both hard nosed runners. I think Milton is a replica of Vick Ballard. Not just the number. He is smart setting up blockers, has good vision, good hands in passing game. Call me crazy but I like him better than Robinson and Griffin. Then you throw in Shump to the mix. Wow, he likes contact and delivering. Blows. Very impressed Our rb depth is in great shape and we should feel pretty comfortable with any of these guys with the ballin there hands. Add Jameon and Holloway on the jet sweeps and we have plenty of weapons running the ball

archdog
09-07-2013, 09:37 PM
If I had to rate our backs based on today's play, not counting LDP
- Shump, looked very impressive. Delivered the thunder when needed, although just a freshman he still had pretty good vision when making cuts and working off of blocks.
- Milton - Every one has been on his case about that fumble against LSU, it was a freshmen mistake. Today he showed everyone the tools he is working with. He looks great carrying the ball, great pad level and good moves to make guys miss. Hopefully he gets more touches to move the chains.
- Griffin - he has another gear that the other guys don't have. Reminds me of Michael Dyer. He may not be the fastest back we have, but man when he does a jab step, he gets back up to speed in a hurry.
Jrob - knew that he had limited time in the game. I didn't see anything new from him today, but he can gain yards with the best of them.

I would run the option with both Griffin and Milton. Shump on the 3rd and 3's just to give Auburn somthing to think about. LDP and Brandon Holloway on speed sweeps (reverse?) and shovel pass.

Aeries had another good game last night.

Belegal
09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Had a great experience today at state! Did not like road closing 4 hours before game! Strickland should have to carry my stuff from drop off zone to tent then road wouldn't close 4 hours early!!!

Coach34
09-07-2013, 09:46 PM

That's crazy

Georgia has the best TB's in the country. But compared to all of D-1, we are definitely stacked at RB. We have 2-3 guys at RB that will play NFL football- that means stacked.

Percho
09-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Griffin is also a great blocker.