lamont
01-25-2017, 06:05 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/athlon-early-predictions-2017/

After 2 straight 6th place finishes- maybe we'll surprise and finish 5th

HSVDawg
01-25-2017, 06:08 PM

For clarification, they picked us last in the West. Not in the whole SEC. Last in the West is typically good enough for 3rd or 4th in the East. And its more like a decade straight they have predicted us last in the West so it really shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

AusTexDawg
01-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Also, Athlon does mention that they're not much difference between 4th & 7th place in the division.

lamont
01-25-2017, 06:50 PM
For clarification, they picked us last in the West. Not in the whole SEC. Last in the West is typically good enough for 3rd or 4th in the East. And its more like a decade straight they have predicted us last in the West so it really shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

Not true- We have only been predicted last in 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, and now 2017

When picked last- we have finished last, next to last, next to last, next to last, and ???? in 2017

AROB44
01-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Don't try and divert attention away from negative comments about MSU....

Quaoarsking
01-25-2017, 06:58 PM
Not true- We have only been predicted last in 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, and now 2017

When picked last- we have finished last, next to last, next to last, next to last, and ???? in 2017

That's pretty asinine to boil down a year like 2010, when we were #15 in the final AP poll, to "next to last in the West."

I'll take next to last in the West but #15 in the country over 3rd in the West and a worse ranking any day.

lamont
01-25-2017, 07:04 PM
That's pretty asinine to boil down a year like 2010, when we were #15 in the final AP poll, to "next to last in the West."

I'll take next to last in the West but #15 in the country over 3rd in the West and a worse ranking any day.

2010 was a really good year for us- but we were still 5th in a 6 team SEC West at 8-4...just pointing out when picked last- we usually finish very close to it

Bothrops
01-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Athlon or SDS' pick for MSU last in the West is good for 5th or 6th out of 7.

Turfdawg67
01-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Oh Lord... don't be victim to RP's click bait post! Oh wait... dammit!!

defiantdog
01-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Looks like a safe prediction except A&M and Tennessee will both have let down years.

fader2103
01-25-2017, 07:26 PM
I think Athlon just copies and paste a lot

HSVDawg
01-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Cool. So they have been wrong every time but one out of those previous 4 times. They also picked us last in 98 when we won the West and picked us first in 2001 when we went 3-8. Moral of the story is that they don't know shit. And they don't even try to know anything. They pick the teams high that have the largest national fan following and then watch those fans get the pages sticky reading about the teams while they count their money. Its a brilliant formula when you think about it.

lamont
01-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Cool. So they have been wrong every time but one out of those previous 4 times. .

barely wrong....barely

lamont
01-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Looks like a safe prediction except A&M and Tennessee will both have let down years.

Tennessee still has alot of talent as does A&M...the QB questions those 2 have will ultimately decide where they finish- but no doubt neither is a top 5 SEC team

HSVDawg
01-25-2017, 10:07 PM
barely wrong....barely

We would have had to turn 3 SEC wins into losses to finish last in 2010. That is not "barely wrong". That is really wrong.

In 2009, we finished tied for last with 2 other teams who both beat us, so we were in fact last. Way to go Athlon. And if Chad Jones doesn't bat down a pass or Tyson Lee pitches to Dixon instead of keeping it on the goal line on the next play, we would have finished 2nd. Thats how thin the margin was there. Blind squirrels and what not.

In 2014 they picked us 5th, we finished second. Again, not barely wrong. Really wrong.

In 98, picked last, finished first. Really REALLY wrong.

We may very well finish last. Or next to last. Or 5th. We'll see. But it damn sure doesn't make Athlon the Socrates of preseason magazines. They are probably the least historically accurate of any of them, and by a wide margin.

lamont
01-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Its a fact that in the Mullen tenure- when they pick us last- we have not finished higher than next to last. Barely wrong

Jarius
01-25-2017, 10:40 PM
Is barely wrong like an almost interception?

bulldawg28
01-25-2017, 10:48 PM

Lol

lamont
01-25-2017, 11:59 PM

No- just means they have had a better feel for our team than most of our fans who have been predicting much better finishes

SDDawg
01-26-2017, 12:07 AM

FIRE MULLINZ!!! **

SDDawg
01-26-2017, 12:09 AM
MSU will finish 4th or 5th in the West. Take your screenshots.

Reason2succeed
01-26-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm officially calling RP a troll. It's not even funny anymore. You come on here and have nothing positive to say. You might as well be wearing an Oxford shirt, boat shoes and a bow tie.

mparkerfd20
01-26-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm officially calling RP a troll. It's not even funny anymore. You come on here and have nothing positive to say. You might as well be wearing an Oxford shirt, boat shoes and a bow tie.

I'm convinced he "barely" has a brain left. Barely.

Reason2succeed
01-26-2017, 09:19 AM
The truth is that every State fan knows that even with our problems and inconsistencies we are experiencing the golden age of State football right now. No, we haven't beaten Bama but neither has hardly any other team that isn't about to get crushed by the NCAA. Enjoy the ride!

I'm not saying that you can't criticize Mullen or the program but at this point you're not a Random Poster. You are a Consistent Troll!

AROB44
01-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Remember, he has to generate traffic for $$$$$. Explains an awful lot about him.

bulldawg28
01-26-2017, 09:22 AM
The truth is that every State fan knows that even with our problems and inconsistencies we are experiencing the golden age of State football right now. No, we haven't beaten Bama but neither has hardly any other team that isn't about to get crushed by the NCAA. Enjoy the ride!

I'm not saying that you can't criticize Mullen or the program but at this point you're not a Random Poster. You are a Consistent Troll!

The troll game is strong with that one. He's looking for ANY negative article on MSU and posting it as "See, they agree with me!"

lamont
01-26-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm just posting facts. I'm sorry if it rains on your sunshine. After that shitshow of a bowl game on offense, not sure how anybody can be very excited.

Maybe beating OM is really all that matters to our fanbase

bulldawg28
01-26-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm just posting facts. I'm sorry if it rains on your sunshine. After that shitshow of a bowl game on offense, not sure how anybody can be very excited.

Go cheer for Bama since now you want style point wins.

Reason2succeed
01-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Let me teach how to be excited since you don't know.

1) Realize that we just placed the best player in MSU history at the highest profile position in the NFL.
2) Remember that the D.C. that cost us games this year has been sent packing and has been replaced by a D.C. with a proven track record in the SEC.
3) Remember that we will have a clear cut starter at QB and RB throughout the spring and summer for the first time since we went on a run to #1 in the nation.

There's plenty to be excited about unless you just want to be like this guy.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/76/a1/c8/76a1c86f66c6ac1299274b21ee3a858e.gif

HSVDawg
01-26-2017, 10:18 AM
No- just means they have had a better feel for our team than most of our fans who have been predicting much better finishes

No it doesn't. Besides 2014, I can't name one year since Jackie's glory days where a majority of our fans expected in the preseason to finish in the top half of the division. Sure, there are the eternal optimists out there, but for about 80% of our fanbase the reality is that winning 7-8 games is slightly above average / decent for MSU, and most know that in the SEC West that is only good enough for 5th or 6th due to the strength of the division. Athlon isn't some sort of reality check for our fanbase. All of those preseason mags pick us last or close to it every year. Sometimes they are right and a lot of times they aren't.

lamont
01-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Let me teach how to be excited since you don't know.

1) Realize that we just placed the best player in MSU history at the highest profile position in the NFL.
2) Remember that the D.C. that cost us games this year has been sent packing and has been replaced by a D.C. with a proven track record in the SEC.
3) Remember that we will have a clear cut starter at QB and RB throughout the spring and summer for the first time since we went on a run to #1 in the nation.

There's plenty to be excited about unless you just want to be like this guy.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/76/a1/c8/76a1c86f66c6ac1299274b21ee3a858e.gif

Guess I'm just the glass half empt guy.

We just went 5-7 and then struggled to beat a nobody in a bowl game. We lose 3/5 of our OL and our best WR and will not be upgrading for 2017. We bring in jucos to redshirt on offense. And next year's schedule is going to be rough.

MadDawg
01-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Exactly the same thing.

SaintDawg
01-26-2017, 10:50 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/1ie5tz.jpg

QuadrupleOption
01-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Guess I'm just the glass half empt guy.

We just went 5-7 and then struggled to beat a nobody in a bowl game. We lose 3/5 of our OL and our best WR and will not be upgrading for 2017. We bring in jucos to redshirt on offense. And next year's schedule is going to be rough.

Yeah no kidding you're a "glass half empty guy." We get it - you don't like Mullen. Now will you please for the love of God and all that is Holy quit flogging this ****ing dead horse about how shitty you think we'll be next year?

We're losing 3/5th of an OL that you can't ever quit bitching about even when it's been shown that statistically they were actually pretty damn good at their job. Of course, when it makes your point they were world beaters. When it doesn't make your point they sucked.

Don't give me that mess about "just stating facts" - you are a troll. You make this board a complete shitfest at times, and I really wish you'd get over yourself long enough to let the rest of us actually ENJOY the success that our head coach has brought us as a program. Success, I might add, that WE HAVEN'T SEEN IN OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM SINCE WORLD WAR ****ING TWO.

The fact that you and all the other cool kids just can't seem to help trying to tear down everything that's been built over the last 8 years is so MSU it hurts.

It's ****ing Rick Stansbury all over again. You're going to do everything you can to snipe anything that gets done because in your almighty mind Mullen sucks and will never get us anywhere. Then as soon as we run him off (because we're MSU and OF COURSE we're going to run him off) we'll go hire someone that isn't worth a shit and you'll pump that guy up while he runs our program into the ****ing ground. Only in football, we won't happen upon a Ben Howland who will manage to get us back to what Mullen had already accomplished yearly after five years of wandering in the wilderness wondering what the Hell happened to our yearly bowl trips.

So yeah, I'm fine with what Mullen's done here since he took over. And it's because I know you don't build championship programs overnight, or even in 5 years in the SEC. It takes consistent winning season, bowl trips, and incremental improvements in your program every year. If you want to take shortcuts you'll end up like our neighbors to the North - and it's the ONLY damn reason they were hauling in the classes that you've been bitching at Mullen about. Blatant cheating. Cheating so bad that they are about to get NUKED, all so they could accomplish not one bit more than Dan Mullen's accomplished with his "lazy" recruiting.

AROB44
01-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Yeah no kidding you're a "glass half empty guy." We get it - you don't like Mullen. Now will you please for the love of God and all that is Holy quit flogging this ****ing dead horse about how shitty you think we'll be next year?

We're losing 3/5th of an OL that you can't ever quit bitching about even when it's been shown that statistically they were actually pretty damn good at their job. Of course, when it makes your point they were world beaters. When it doesn't make your point they sucked.

Don't give me that mess about "just stating facts" - you are a troll. You make this board a complete shitfest at times, and I really wish you'd get over yourself long enough to let the rest of us actually ENJOY the success that our head coach has brought us as a program. Success, I might add, that WE HAVEN'T SEEN IN OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM SINCE WORLD WAR ****ING TWO.

The fact that you and all the other cool kids just can't seem to help trying to tear down everything that's been built over the last 8 years is so MSU it hurts.

It's ****ing Rick Stansbury all over again. You're going to do everything you can to snipe anything that gets done because in your almighty mind Mullen sucks and will never get us anywhere. Then as soon as we run him off (because we're MSU and OF COURSE we're going to run him off) we'll go hire someone that isn't worth a shit and you'll pump that guy up while he runs our program into the ****ing ground. Only in football, we won't happen upon a Ben Howland who will manage to get us back to what Mullen had already accomplished yearly after five years of wandering in the wilderness wondering what the Hell happened to our yearly bowl trips.

So yeah, I'm fine with what Mullen's done here since he took over. And it's because I know you don't build championship programs overnight, or even in 5 years in the SEC. It takes consistent winning season, bowl trips, and incremental improvements in your program every year. If you want to take shortcuts you'll end up like our neighbors to the North - and it's the ONLY damn reason they were hauling in the classes that you've been bitching at Mullen about. Blatant cheating. Cheating so bad that they are about to get NUKED, all so they could accomplish not one bit more than Dan Mullen's accomplished with his "lazy" recruiting.

Rep point given!! +1000!!!

Reason2succeed
01-26-2017, 11:43 AM

http://i.imgur.com/JSBTl.gif

SaintDawg
01-26-2017, 11:48 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/1ieay9.jpg

Rep Given

Reason2succeed
01-26-2017, 11:54 AM
RP, I know you'll probably read all this and think that we hate you. Some of us do but it would be more helpful to look at this as an intervention. Sports are supposed to be a pleasurable past time. If it's getting too rough maybe you should just take a time out until the joy of the game returns.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/169df5e19f855b115701b700e8e3a5cc/tumblr_no2xnm02pz1sfyty0o1_500.gif

Wet Dawg
01-26-2017, 11:59 AM

My Man!! +1

lamont
01-26-2017, 01:32 PM
I'll just remind you we went 5-7 this year and let's move on

DudyDawg
01-26-2017, 10:01 PM

6-7

Dawgface
01-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Wow.....perfectly stated.

smootness
01-27-2017, 09:41 AM

What's taken you so long to realize it?

smootness
01-27-2017, 09:44 AM
MSU will finish 4th or 5th in the West. Take your screenshots.

The good news is, whether we win the West or finish last, with this prediction you'll just be barely wrong either way.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2017, 09:44 AM
6-7

Yep and it's a fact.

SaintDawg
01-27-2017, 09:52 AM

We could go 14-0 and you'd bitch about the field grass being too green. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

lamont
01-27-2017, 10:05 AM
We could go 14-0 and you'd bitch about the field grass being too green. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

We had a losing record this year. We were losers. But hey, we beat Ole Missus so everything is ok huh?

smootness
01-27-2017, 10:13 AM
We had a losing record this year. We were losers. But hey, we beat Ole Missus so everything is ok huh?

We didn't the 6 years before that. Didn't stop you.

maroonmania
01-27-2017, 10:51 AM
What's taken you so long to realize it?

Pretty simple what is going on. RP hit his tipping point with Mullen just like he did with Stans. There was a post last year during all of the Mullen job searching where RP stated that he could no longer support Mullen as our coach or something like that and its been all Negative Nellie from that point forward. Just like with RS, once RP goes negative on you there is no turning back apparently. Wish he would keep the negative posting about the future of our program to himself for right now. He says saying anything negative about a recruit will not be tolerated before signing day yet I can't believe that trashing the expectations of our upcoming football seasons does anything but hurt recruiting as well. Whether the forecasting is true or not.

QuadrupleOption
01-27-2017, 11:36 AM

So you got no satisfaction from beating Ole Miss, keeping them OUT of a bowl, and then going to a bowl game ourselves and winning it?

Records be damned, if that doesn't make you at least a little bit happy as an MSU fan then you need to start rooting for LSU fulltime.

lamont
01-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Almost no complaining by me the last 6 years except for OL recruiting. You are mistaken

lamont
01-27-2017, 12:19 PM

As a matter of fact- I was one of Mullen's biggest advocates in 2013 when people were calling for his head. I also insisted we would win our last 2 games and end 6-6.

smootness
01-27-2017, 12:48 PM
You have been on Mullen for a while...maybe not to be fired, but you've definitely been critical and just last year said you didn't support him as head coach anymore.

Also, while I was looking around, I found this fun little thread: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?27850-To-re-visit-Cadaver-s-point-on-Hevesy-and-the-OL