PDA

View Full Version : JT gray

msstate7
01-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Looking over some stats and noticed jt had 8 TFL with 6 of those in sec games and he also had 71 tackles. He quietly had a productive year. I know grantham wants bigger LBs, so do you think JT will get a look at safety?

Homedawg
01-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Looking over some stats and noticed jt had 8 TFL with 6 of those in sec games and he also had 71 tackles. He quietly had a productive year. I know grantham wants bigger LBs, so do you think JT will get a look at safety?

No. He's a lb. just a small one

msstate7
01-23-2017, 08:35 PM
No. He's a lb. just a small one

So probably a no go in grantham's system, huh?

Tripp McNeely
01-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Great question...was wondering the same thing myself

bulldawg28
01-23-2017, 08:44 PM
If he'll make plays he will play. The challenge for him will be making plays against physical teams.

preachermatt83
01-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Jung is hands down our most underrated defensive player. I think he will do well in Granthams system. JT will be solid regardless

tireddawg
01-23-2017, 09:22 PM
I think JT will be kind of like a sixth man for basketball

Homedawg
01-23-2017, 09:36 PM

He has to, how many lb's we got? Not many. I'm scared to death about inside. We have Leo and Leo. That's it. And before anybody tells me gerri green it will be on hype not production. He hasn't been a good player at all. At all. That's the problem w recruiting rankings, while the higher ranked teams usually win they aren't always right. But if we sit a guy who is highly ranked our fans automatically think he should play. Just not always the case.

msstate7
01-23-2017, 09:48 PM
He has to, how many lb's we got? Not many. I'm scared to death about inside. We have Leo and Leo. That's it. And before anybody tells me gerri green it will be on hype not production. He hasn't been a good player at all. At all. That's the problem w recruiting rankings, while the higher ranked teams usually win they aren't always right. But if we sit a guy who is highly ranked our fans automatically think he should play. Just not always the case.

You aren't the only 1 worried about LB. I've been complaining that we aren't looking to add more LBs.

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Errol Thompson should be a good ilb in time

Todd4State
01-23-2017, 09:55 PM

I think part of Green's problem is he was out of position last year. Probably should be a DE.

Todd4State
01-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Gray will play because he is one of our better LB's. He may not start but I could see us using him like a Big Nickle or possible a Dime LB.

RougeDawg
01-23-2017, 10:03 PM
You aren't the only 1 worried about LB. I've been complaining that we aren't looking to add more LBs.

The main issue with our LB's last year was that they seemed confused on a majority of plays. For some reason they would all bunch up in the same gap or area of the line and leave gaping holes elsewhere. I'm no football X's and O's guy but say there were 4 gaps in the OLIne, A through D. More plays than it we would try a LB stunt and have 2 to 3 guys all tryingnto fill the B gap with 1-2 left over to cover the other 75% of the OLIne. It's a reason teams bashed us on runs and why we couldn't get pressure on passes. We essentially would have 3-4 defenders (LB's & DL) all trying to pressure the same area of the OLIne and basically eliminated themselves and made the other 3-4 of the front 7 to cover backs/te's and get pressure at the same time.

Richie blocked more of our own LB's this year then the opponents because he looked more lost than a freshman on first day of classes.

Tripp McNeely
01-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Errol Thompson should be a good ilb in time

Gerri was used miserably last year. He's got the size to play both LB positions. I have an awesome feeling that we have a new DC now that knows how to simplify a system and exploit guys like Gerri to the best of their abilities!

Commercecomet24
01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
The main issue with our LB's last year was that they seemed confused on a majority of plays. For some reason they would all bunch up in the same gap or area of the line and leave gaping holes elsewhere. I'm no football X's and O's guy but say there were 4 gaps in the OLIne, A through D. More plays than it we would try a LB stunt and have 2 to 3 guys all tryingnto fill the B gap with 1-2 left over to cover the other 75% of the OLIne. It's a reason teams bashed us on runs and why we couldn't get pressure on passes. We essentially would have 3-4 defenders (LB's & DL) all trying to pressure the same area of the OLIne and basically eliminated themselves and made the other 3-4 of the front 7 to cover backs/te's and get pressure at the same time.

Richie blocked more of our own LB's this year then the opponents because he looked more lost than a freshman on first day of classes.

Absolutely 100% correct!

Bothrops
01-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Didn't JT win the hay toss a couple of years ago? That's damn impressive.

Homedawg
01-23-2017, 10:16 PM
I think part of Green's problem is he was out of position last year. Probably should be a DE.

Well even if so that doesn't solve be our lb problem and to be honest he looked awful lined up there too. That's why we quit playing him there.

Homedawg
01-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Gerri was used miserably last year. He's got the size to play both LB positions. I have an awesome feeling that we have a new DC now that knows how to simplify a system and exploit guys like Gerri to the best of their abilities!

Size doesn't have crap to do w being lost! He has zero instinct and is easy to block. Grantham might make it better but all sec he isn't.

Homedawg
01-23-2017, 10:19 PM

I quit reading when you said you are no X's and O's coach. No shit? And you are no hitting instructor either but you continue to post anyway. But carry on.

bulldawg28
01-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Jung is hands down our most underrated defensive player. I think he will do well in Granthams system. JT will be solid regardless

I agree with Jung. He should have started

Todd4State
01-23-2017, 10:58 PM

My favorite sad part of our defense last year was when we brought Coman on a blitz and he literally ran right past the RB who had the ball and ran for a huge gain of at least 60+ yards. And possibly more. I was shaking my head and didn't bother to add up the exact amount.

What you are talking about probably happened a lot because we tipped the play too soon- which we probably had to do to get our guys in the "right spot" since no one had a full grasp on the defense thanks to Sirmon's stellar coaching. Pretty shocking that he got another power five job as a DC.

boot
01-23-2017, 11:15 PM
I think Dez Harris should see more snaps. He made plays and was always around the ball.

Todd4State
01-23-2017, 11:31 PM
I think Dez Harris should see more snaps. He made plays and was always around the ball.

Absolutely agree.

GTHOM
01-24-2017, 12:52 AM

Put him at ILB and let him run

RougeDawg
01-24-2017, 03:24 AM
I quit reading when you said you are no X's and O's coach. No shit? And you are no hitting instructor either but you continue to post anyway. But carry on.

I have taught hitting instruction at summer camps Alongside major league players. The same major league players and coaches whom I learned the techniques and mechanics. Same mechanics the analysts speak on as well. I'm sorry you don't have the ability to read a post, comprehend it and visualize the concept in your mind. There's a reason the home run derby and HR leaders, post steroid era has consisted of small guys with similar mechanics that generate power. Very few are muscular freaks, but all of them do certain things with their hands/body that separate them from the other guys of similar stature, yet lack power. I can only explain the mechanics learned from a couple big league all stars and their hitting instructors. But carry on with your ignorant posts.

Let me simply to a 4th grade level for the simple minded. By not being X's and O's I meant don't hold the A through D gap names against me. There are gaps on both lines. When I played we used numbers on offense and letters defense. Who knows that the terminology is now or what we even use.

The moral of the story little Johnny was that we appeared Confused on defense all year which was exacerbated by having our guys all running to one spot, essentially taking themselves out of plays without even being blocked by an offensive player. Hence the big plays and boat loads of points we gave up.

dawgday166
01-24-2017, 07:24 AM
Size doesn't have crap to do w being lost! He has zero instinct and is easy to block. Grantham might make it better but all sec he isn't.

Him being lost could be due to coaching at much as anything else. Not saying it is, but could be.

Belichick takes cast offs no one wants all the time and turns them into damn good football players. That's why he stays under his cap so well.

1bigdawg
01-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Back to Gray: He is "too small" to be an LB and probably too slow to be a safety. However, he has the best nose for the ball of anyone on our defense. You find a place for guys like that to get on the field.