PDA

View Full Version : For those of you thinking we wont miss Richie Brown

lamont
01-22-2017, 09:35 AM
https://twitter.com/DraftMaverick/status/823000902210584577

"This was the big play by Miss St LB Richie Brown, covering RB flat in RZ. Was much more athletic than I expected. Best overall LB here, IMO"

MetEdDawg
01-22-2017, 09:43 AM

"This was the big play by Miss St LB Richie Brown, covering RB flat in RZ. Was much more athletic than I expected. Best overall LB here, IMO"

3-4 change really hurt him I think. When you change schemes, I've always thought that gives advantages to younger players. They don't quite have as much to relearn. I think in a traditional 4-3 he will find success at the next level.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 09:45 AM
3-4 change really hurt him I think. When you change schemes, I've always thought that gives advantages to younger players. They don't quite have as much to relearn. I think in a traditional 4-3 he will find success at the next level.

Manning the middle of an NFL defense... I don't see it.

maroonmania
01-22-2017, 09:49 AM

I think its that plus the fact that IMO the scheme we ran this past season was just poorly coached. Brandon Bryant greatly regressed and he just completed his SO season.

civildawg
01-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Dude was terrible all year. If we miss him, we are in trouble. Yeah he had a lot of tackles, too bad they were 10 yards down the field.

KB21
01-22-2017, 09:55 AM
I had a guy give me an eye witness account of Richie during the week of practice. He said that Richie could teach the other linebackers the drills they were running and was very fluid in coverage all week. It really shows how well coached and developed he was at Mississippi State.

Cooterpoot
01-22-2017, 10:06 AM
He's a late round pick at at best and a special teams guy.

msbulldog
01-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Grantham simplified the 3-4 after he left Georgia and UL did well with it. I think Sirmon ran the the more complicated (2 gap) version this past season and it was just way too much to spring on players that had never played it. Probably caused issues for all our defensive players including Ritchie Brown, Brandon Bryant and our entire defensive line. Hopefully, having played it this season and having it simplified to 1 gap will really help.

Tripp McNeely
01-22-2017, 10:25 AM
That would be awesome for Richie! The more players that we can point out that got drafted/are on NFL rosters that were recruited by/played for Mullen, the easier it is to recruit higher-profile players at that position!

lamont
01-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Dude was terrible all year. If we miss him, we are in trouble. Yeah he had a lot of tackles, too bad they were 10 yards down the field.

Yet he is being viewed as the best LB'er at the all-star game.

We are going to miss Brown

msstate7
01-22-2017, 10:46 AM

Guarantee the all star game was 4-3 base defense. Richie was bad in our 3-4 and was always a step late on blitzes... blitzes were almost certainly not permitted yesterday

dawgday166
01-22-2017, 10:50 AM
We won't miss the way he played this year. I believe he can play but he flat pulled up and let some guys run right past him quite a few times this year. Sometimes I thought he just wanted to make it through this year without getting hurt.

DogsofAnarchy
01-22-2017, 10:51 AM
The problem with Sirmon was communication. He couldn't bring it down 10 levels for our guys to understand. So instead you got to much thinking and not enough reacting. Coach Grantham will be able to communicate much better with our players. Sirmons terminology was to difficult to understand and that has been addressed. Sirmon also was slow on deciding what defense to call. Another problem we won't have next year. Our defense will be MUCH improved this year.

Grantham simplified the 3-4 after he left Georgia and UL did well with it. I think Sirmon ran the the more complicated (2 gap) version this past season and it was just way too much to spring on players that had never played it. Probably caused issues for all our defensive players including Ritchie Brown, Brandon Bryant and our entire defensive line. Hopefully, having played it this season and having it simplified to 1 gap will really help.

civildawg
01-22-2017, 10:59 AM

So one opinion of a twitter guy is the end all be all? Got it

Bully13
01-22-2017, 11:06 AM
He had some good plays but other times it seemed his head wasn't straight. He got bulldozed too many times for me to think he will play on Sundays.

SDDawg
01-22-2017, 11:27 AM

We'll miss him a ton. We had him out of position/scheme this last year though. I think he has Pro Bowl potential in the NFL. Great player and works incredibly hard. Love the guy.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 11:30 AM
We'll miss him a ton. We had him out of position/scheme this last year though. I think he has Pro Bowl potential in the NFL. Great player and works incredibly hard. Love the guy.

Pro bowl potential? Yeah, I don't see that. Richie will have to a special team's demon to make an NFL roster

msstate7
01-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Now I do think we will miss Richie's leadership. He's a smart player that works hard, but he's limited physically imo

Bully13
01-22-2017, 11:35 AM
I will miss the bearded one a lot. Just skeptical at this juncture about his football future. That said wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong as I've been wrong many times before. Will always be appreciative of his MSU love and how he exposed the hypocrite snake handler.

msstate7
Off topic, but if I were an NFL fringe prospect like Richie, I'd be trying to play special teams my senior year. Being a good special team's player greatly enhances NFL prospects

msstate7
I will miss the bearded one a lot. Just skeptical at this juncture about his football future. That said wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong as I've been wrong many times before. Will always be appreciative of his MSU love and how he exposed the hypocrite snake handler.

Yep

Maroons
01-22-2017, 11:38 AM
We won't miss the way he played this year. I believe he can play but he flat pulled up and let some guys run right past him quite a few times this year. Sometimes I thought he just wanted to make it through this year without getting hurt.

Agreed. There were times in almost every game this past year where I questioned his effort.

He was very good in the 4-3, but his play this past year was below average.

dawgday166
01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Agreed. There were times in almost every game this past year where I questioned his effort.

He was very good in the 4-3, but his play this past year was below average.

I don't know what his deal was. Maybe 3 different DCs and position coaches in 3 years then the switch to the 3-4 too. Don't know ... but he took a bunch of plays off this past year. A couple or maybe a few posters were on him early on and I tended to believe he'd come around. Towards end of year tho I thought he got even worse with his lack of effort. It became glaringly obvious to me.

I don't see him making an NFL roster even if he plays his best. We'll see.

Dawgtini
01-22-2017, 11:59 AM
🤦*♂️ SMH at all of you nay sayers. We may not miss Richie but it will only be because Leo and the RSFr LB are studs. Richie was our leading tackler (or right there) for 3 yrs and gave opposing QB's fits. How many INT's did he have again?? 4 against ATM alone? We will be fortunate to replace the play and leadership of Richie Brown #FearTheBeard

Tripp McNeely
01-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Looked, a lot of times, (specifically this past season) like he was scared of contact...which led to a lot of arm tackling...which led to a lot of missed tackles...which wouldn't show up in All-Star practices...which is why this report kinda makes some sense

KB21
01-22-2017, 12:22 PM
This was the eyewitness report that I got from a guy who was scouting at the Shrine practices:

Someone I noticed yesterday that not everyone else did was LB Richie Brown of Mississippi State. I've never studied the guy actually playing football. But when you stack him against these other LBs in drills, he was a clear standout for his easy movement skills and technical quality. His stat line this year was non-descript. He did tally 100+ tackles this year and last year. But he MOVED like a coverage linebacker in practice yesterday, and he seemed smart as a whip. He practically could've taught those drills to the other LBs, and in fact at different times, he did.

BoomBoom
01-22-2017, 12:27 PM

i've never seen a good LB be so bad at open field tackling. that's like a good RB with a fumble problem.

smootness
01-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Lack of effort? Goodness.

Our fans underestimate him so much. He is very athletic and has an NFL future.

msbulldog
01-22-2017, 01:29 PM
��*♂️ SMH at all of you nay sayers. We may not miss Richie but it will only be because Leo and the RSFr LB are studs. Richie was our leading tackler (or right there) for 3 yrs and gave opposing QB's fits. How many INT's did he have again?? 4 against ATM alone? We will be fortunate to replace the play and leadership of Richie Brown #FearTheBeard

Ritchie played his heart out for the Maroon & White! Rep given.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Just curious... since Richie performed so well among the LBs, were there any sure fire draft picks among the LBs?

Joe Schmedlap
01-22-2017, 01:35 PM
So one opinion of a twitter guy is the end all be all? Got it

Be civil. Richie Brown was and is an incredible student athlete. He was extremely good in the 3-4. Not so much in the Sirmon _efense. Richie is also extremely intelligent. So smart in fact that he should have stuck to his initial desire to major in engineering. I would not at all be surprised to see him make a roster in the NFL.

lamont
01-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Lack of effort? Goodness.

Our fans underestimate him so much. He is very athletic and has an NFL future.

He's probably going to be the next Sean Lee- type in the NFL

msstate7
01-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Lee is a 2x pro bowler that would've made more had he stayed healthy. Lee is one of the best in the NFL. I think you're reaching. Bennie brown is every bit the lb that Richie is and Bennie isn't in the NFL

lamont
01-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Lee is a 2x pro bowler that would've made more had he stayed healthy. Lee is one of the best in the NFL. I think you're reaching. Bennie brown is every bit the lb that Richie is and Bennie isn't in the NFL

Bennie is smaller and slower than Richie. Richie's intelligence plus playing in a passing league now will help him tremendously.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Bennie is smaller and slower than Richie. Richie's intelligence plus playing in a passing league now will help him tremendously.

So you're predicting Richie is starting at MLB in the next 2 years?

WesternSkyDawg
01-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Not as fluid/flexible, but similar. If he's even a tenth of a second slower, or can't close on that level, it won't happen. Ritchie can succeed if his athletic deficiencies are made up for by the NFL athleticism around him.

We may not be as steady, but how much did that help against Arkansas? I'll take the trade off for the explosiveness, toughness, physicality of Leo Lewis and Willie Gay if we get him, and the others if we don't. Hoping the light comes on for Gerri Green in the new scheme.

Bottom line: we will be better next year with Grantham and no Ritchie than with Sirmon and Ritchie.

dawgday166
01-22-2017, 01:49 PM

So you're saying he's faster than BMac, who's sometimes struggles in pass defense. I ain't seeing it.

preachermatt83
01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Lol, he didn't do it all year. He was awful the whole season. Great guy, but we won't miss him on the field.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 01:57 PM
So you're saying he's faster than BMac, who's sometimes struggles in pass defense. I ain't seeing it.

If Richie is great in pass coverage, Geoff Collins, manny Diaz, and sirmon are all incompetent then bc TEs have torched us the last 4 years

dawgday166
01-22-2017, 01:59 PM
If Richie is great in pass coverage, Geoff Collins, manny Diaz, and sirmon are all incompetent then bc TEs have torched us the last 4 years

I'm with you on this one and Bennie Brown too. I ain't seeing Richie in the league. If he do make it I'll be even more irritated by his effort (or lack thereof) this past year.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2017, 02:01 PM
I believe Richie Brown gave us everything he had and I hope he goes on to success in the NFL. That being said Chris White was bigger, faster and just as smart and was never more than a solid special teams player in the NFL( not that there's anything wrong with that at all) just a comparison. I love what both Richie and Chris did for State!

blacklistedbully
01-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Our team will miss Richie as much or more for his quiet, dignified leadership as they will his play. Yes, he struggled a lot last year, but then a whole bunch of our players struggled last year. What was the common denominator?

Also, is it possible his struggles tackling had more to do with our emphasis on "SeaHawk tackling" and the scheme change?

Richie Brown was and is a class act, and I'm proud to call him a fellow Bulldog. Gonna pray he gets a chance with an NFL team, but I also have no doubt that young man is going to be a success in whatever career-path he settles into.

lamont
01-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Right now he has a 4th-6th round grade.

Bennie ran a 4.77 at the Combine 6'1/229...Richie is listed at 6'2/240....he'll beat 4.77 for sure
Preston Smith 4.74
BMac 4.66
Chris White 4.68

dawgday166
01-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I think Chris White was a much better MLB than Richie. Very good sideline to sideline and when he showed up the tackle was made.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Bennie ran a 4.77 at the Combine 6'1/229...Richie is listed at 6'2/240....he'll beat 4.77 for sure
Preston Smith 4.74
BMac 4.66
Chris White 4.68
Reggie Ragland ran a 4.72. I'm not so sure Richie beats 4.77.

msstate7
01-22-2017, 02:50 PM
This site has Richie listed at 6'2" 240 and a 4.8 40

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/richie-brown/

PassInterference
01-22-2017, 03:01 PM

I still don't know what our defense's problem was all year. But we will not miss how Ritchie played in 2016.

confucius say
01-22-2017, 04:34 PM
We will miss his knowledge, the fact that he knew his assignment and where to be, and general presence. He's just not the type that is going to stand a back up in the hole or be as explosive as Leo or gay will be.

confucius say
01-22-2017, 04:35 PM

A Sean lee type? Yea maybe in the sense his type of game could be similar. Sean lee? No. Lee is a top 4-5 lb in the NFL.

Homedawg
01-22-2017, 05:12 PM
I still don't know what our defense's problem was all year. But we will not miss how Ritchie played in 2016.

If green doesn't get any better I know we will miss him. Because there was a huge dropoff when rb left the field. And no, he didn't have his best year, but or next up guy hasn't done a thing either.

lamont
03-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Preston Smith 4.74
BMac 4.66
Chris White 4.68

Bump

Saying Richie ran a 4.64 today

lamont
03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
This site has Richie listed at 6'2" 240 and a 4.8 40

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/richie-brown/

Apparently that site is wrong

PassInterference
03-22-2017, 03:41 PM

Preston Smith 4.74
BMac 4.66
Chris White 4.68

Chris White had phenom closing speed. He could run down about anything.

GTHOM
03-22-2017, 03:51 PM
We will miss him, but the guys that are replacing him are more talented. Doesnt mean they will be better players, especially at ILB where you can make up for athleticism with instincts and having some shit in your grits. Richie had that, he just had no idea what the hell to do last year, along with the 10 other guys on the field for us playing defense

msstate7
03-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Bump

Saying Richie ran a 4.64 today

Good time. Best of luck to him

bulldawg28
03-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Richie is Uber athletic but not very physical. That doesn't pose well being a LB. That's why he's able to excel at drills and the mental aspect. However, he disappeared in every game with a big physical back. We won't miss him at all. I wish him the best of luck in the NFL. They'll put him at OLB and he'll be a good player for years.

Todd4State
03-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Richie is Uber athletic but not very physical. That doesn't pose well being a LB. That's why he's able to excel at drills and the mental aspect. However, he disappeared in every game with a big physical back. We won't miss him at all. I wish him the best of luck in the NFL. They'll put him at OLB and he'll be a good player for years.

I think his biggest problem last year was Sirmon. That probably goes for a lot of our players.

Madisonmd
03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
I think his biggest problem last year was Sirmon. That probably goes for a lot of our players.

Class act, great kid! Represented our university very well! Wish him the best

Tripp McNeely
03-22-2017, 05:14 PM

I rewatched the om game, one of his better games, the other day, and took some notes. 40% of the times he had a chance to make a tackle, he ran himself out of the play...chose the wrong gap, went with the flow of blocking too much, etc. Not sure what percentage of that is Sirmon and what percentage of that is Ritchie's instincts, but I think a system where he reads less and attacks more would be ideal...Leo on the other hand...geeze the boy has instincts!

Bothrops
03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Peter South brought a halo of fog down over the field for the defense to try and see through. It was a little like that move "The Fog" but without any violence.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2017, 07:37 PM

No doubt!!

biggun
03-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Brandon Bryant missed more tackles than he made last season. Scheme had nothing to do with him getting trucked or easily juked and then blown by. Not sure he has the flexibility or lateral quickness to play safety, missed far too many tackles on simple toss sweeps and flair passes. Great straight line speed but unfortunately football is not played on a straight line.

Geri Green had similar struggles. We shall see what both are made of this fall.