PDA

View Full Version : Auburn AD hiring the OC for Gus?

DancingRabbit
01-21-2017, 12:32 AM
"Source" saying boosters and the AD vetoed Gus' top two choices. Gave him a list to choose from.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_offensive_coordinator_s_4.html

Todd4State
01-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Doesn't matter. Gus calls the plays anyway. They're just trying to have someone in place if they get tired of him this year.

DancingRabbit
01-21-2017, 12:45 AM
Doesn't matter. Gus calls the plays anyway. They're just trying to have someone in place if they get tired of him this year.

I think Gus handed off the play calling early in the season. I'm sure he's on top of the game plan, etc.

missouridawg
01-21-2017, 02:14 AM
I think Gus handed off the play calling early in the season. I'm sure he's on top of the game plan, etc.

He gave Lashley full control of play calling last season and even stated in interviews that him stepping back and being more of the CEO of the team was a part of their success last year.

TimberBeast
01-21-2017, 02:22 AM
He gave Lashley full control of play calling last season and even stated in interviews that him stepping back and being more of the CEO of the team was a part of their success last year.

That's the only reason Les lasted a couple more seasons too, his clock management and qb recruiting still killed him in the end though. Mullen could learn from stepping back and letting the coords call the plays and use the correct personnel.

Reason2succeed
01-21-2017, 07:26 AM
I somewhat disagree. It's always good to have more football minds in the room. It is also good to have a fresh play caller that other teams have not scouted every year for the last eight years. But Gus and Dan are both offensive geniuses in their own right (and I hate to admit it but so is Hugh Freeze). Taking them totally away from their area of expertise and making them just a CEO is foolish. I would rather give someone the title OC but still allow Dan to run the show with their assistance.

RiverCityDawg
01-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Not exactly. He gave it to him a few games into the season. He took it back from him about the Georgia game. All is not well on the plains.

AROB44
01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
When someone other than the head coach hires an assistant it assistants then the head coach needs to be replaced immediately.

missouridawg
01-21-2017, 09:33 AM
That's the only reason Les lasted a couple more seasons too, his clock management and qb recruiting still killed him in the end though. Mullen could learn from stepping back and letting the coords call the plays and use the correct personnel.

I'm ok with the head coach calling plays assuming he has a CEO defensive coordinator, a CEO special team coach, and someone helping with clock management.

gtowndawg
01-21-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm ok with the head coach calling plays assuming he has a CEO defensive coordinator, a CEO special team coach, and someone helping with clock management.

And a CEO recruiter...

DancingRabbit
01-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Sounds like the source was wrong, or Gus won out and got his way.

Dan Wolken reporting that Auburn will hire Chip Lindsey from AZ State, one of Gus' top choices.

HSVDawg
01-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Mullen's playcalling hasn't really been the issue as much as the personnel side. And its hard to know how much of the personnel was on Mullen himself or the position coaches and Gonzalez. And it was really only an issue with one position group. With Holloway / Shump graduating, it has probably taken care of itself.