PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: MSU to open at USM in 2018

Choctaw Dawg
01-20-2017, 11:29 PM
Set to open season with a three game set in Hattiesburg, will not play any home games in Dudy Noble until conference play starts due to stadium construction.

Todd4State
01-21-2017, 12:30 AM
Yep. I think that might be the year we play in the Minute Maid Classic in Houston too- don't hold me to that. Also USM is going to open the 2019 baseball season in Starkville with a three game series.

Hopefully we'll play some series in Memphis, NOLA, Birmingham and maybe play some OOC games in Pearl and Biloxi.

msstate7
01-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Will all games pre-conference be considered away and neutral sites? If so, we should have a nice rpi

messageboardsuperhero
01-21-2017, 08:24 AM
The OOC schedule we will have to play in 2018 is going to make our RPI look really good. We should also have an elite team that year, so hosting should not be an issue IMO. USM will be a good program to open up the completed new stadium with in 2019.

Todd4State
01-21-2017, 09:32 AM
Will all games pre-conference be considered away and neutral sites? If so, we should have a nice rpi

I don't believe so. They are still looking to play around 28 home games so if you take out the SEC games that's still around 10-13 home OOC games. Of course that could change depending on how construction goes and you know how that is. I think they could play an early midweek game against Mississippi Valley on a Tuesday and not have the crowd be an issue with an unfinished stadium.

bulldogcountry1
01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Does this mean we I'll delay some of the early non-cons to during the SEC season?

Having a series at UM is a good alternative. Hopefully, there will be several others in the MS area.

msstate7
01-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Does this mean we I'll delay some of the early non-cons to during the SEC season?

Having a series at UM is a good alternative. Hopefully, there will be several others in the MS area.

That would be a really good rpi series for both schools.

BulldogBear
01-21-2017, 11:37 AM
In this case I wish we would host an early season weekend tournament at Trustmark.

Choctaw Dawg
01-21-2017, 09:51 PM
The OOC schedule we will have to play in 2018 is going to make our RPI look really good. We should also have an elite team that year, so hosting should not be an issue IMO. USM will be a good program to open up the completed new stadium with in 2019.
Hosting probably won't happen in 2018 with the stadium being under construction, I have no idea how it'll work itself out

Choctaw Dawg
01-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Yep. I think that might be the year we play in the Minute Maid Classic in Houston too- don't hold me to that. Also USM is going to open the 2019 baseball season in Starkville with a three game series.

Hopefully we'll play some series in Memphis, NOLA, Birmingham and maybe play some OOC games in Pearl and Biloxi.
From what I've seen we will play in the minute maid classic, also probably going to Texas Tech and TCU.

Todd4State
01-22-2017, 03:18 AM

Possibly, but too soon to know. I think I would rather see us play in Pearl and Biloxi for a weekend before I would do the Oxford thing. If it were me I wouldn't have even done the Hattiesburg series to be honest with you. I probably would have done a weekend series with whomever in Pearl, Memphis, and then Biloxi and then did then Minute Maid Classic. I'd probably try to schedule our midweek games with teams I wouldn't expect to draw well.

Todd4State
01-22-2017, 03:23 AM
From what I've seen we will play in the minute maid classic, also probably going to Texas Tech and TCU.

Are we playing Texas Tech and TCU in Houston or are you saying that we are going to go to Lubbock and Fort Worth for road series? Between USM, those two Big 12 teams, and the Minute Maid Classic that would be by far our most difficult pre-SEC schedule in our school history. Not to mention the Ole Miss's, South Alabama's, and etc. that we usually play.

I also wonder if we are going to put the annual USM game in Jackson on hold for a couple of years since we are doing series with them. Probably not.

Choctaw Dawg
01-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Are we playing Texas Tech and TCU in Houston or are you saying that we are going to go to Lubbock and Fort Worth for road series? Between USM, those two Big 12 teams, and the Minute Maid Classic that would be by far our most difficult pre-SEC schedule in our school history. Not to mention the Ole Miss's, South Alabama's, and etc. that we usually play.

I also wonder if we are going to put the annual USM game in Jackson on hold for a couple of years since we are doing series with them. Probably not.
I believe we will be doing road series, go to Texas Tech for a weekend and then head to Fort Worth for a weekday series.

AusTexDawg
01-23-2017, 12:10 PM
I would love for State to play in the Houston College Classic (or anywhere else in Texas, for that matter). Per the Houston Press, Rice and Houston will participate (http://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-houston-college-classic-dumps-rice-uh-for-2017-8202134) in the Houston College Classic in 2018. The article mentions that they are looking to do themes in the future, like all TX teams vs LA teams or something like that. Not sure how MSU would fit into a themed weekend.

biscuit
01-23-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm a little slow here, but is the new stadium gonna be where the current one stands or is it in a different location?

bulldogcountry1
01-23-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm a little slow here, but is the new stadium gonna be where the current one stands or is it in a different location?

That's not a little slow. That's a lot slow.

State82
01-23-2017, 01:35 PM

Uh, same location. Field will be the same. Entirely new venue to be built around the existing field.