PDA

View Full Version : Visits-sure it has been talked about DD Bowie

BB30
01-20-2017, 04:21 PM
D.D. Bowie will be on campus this weekend as most of you know. What are our chances with him? Is this just a courtesy visit or are we still in play for him?

Saltydog
01-20-2017, 04:23 PM
NT

msstate7
01-20-2017, 04:26 PM
NT

Not really sure why OM would want that. Don't think a mutual target will be here this weekend.

Tripp McNeely
01-20-2017, 04:33 PM
NT

they're not in a place where they can plant rats right now...if he shows...big "if"...it's on like Donkey Kong!

jumbo
01-20-2017, 04:34 PM
NT

OM is doing all they can to keep Bowie from visiting.

BB30
01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
If and it is a big if but if we land Bowie I think I would be ok with the trade off of our staff missing on Odom if in fact Odom does end up signing with Lville, and landing Bowie. We have a good bit of talent on the DL and have had no problems signing solid DL in the past couple of years. I think we could pick up someone next year that fills that miss assuming it doesn't kill us with Heath.

Todd4State
01-20-2017, 04:53 PM
We'll see if he visits tomorrow probably. Would not trade Odom for Bowie personally.

maroonmania
01-20-2017, 04:59 PM
We'll see if he visits tomorrow probably. Would not trade Odom for Bowie personally.

Yea, Bowie is a good player but my understanding is that he is another slot type guy. We really are in need of outside WRs.

Todd4State
01-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Yea, Bowie is a good player but my understanding is that he is another slot type guy. We really are in need of outside WRs.

I don't know if it's our coaches or our recruiting reporters or what- but we should look at recruiting like a long range 4-5 years down the road type of thing rather than a help next season type of deal. Honestly, if we're looking at it from a long range standpoint- we have Couch, Todd, and Mitchell as true or redshirt freshmen, possibly Austin Williams if he doesn't become a TE/H-Back, and as of now Malik Heath and the only slot guy coming in Nero Nelson who could possibly be moved to CB. Yes, outside WR is a need at the present moment but actually unless we take a slot WR or two now- we're going to be thin there in about 3-4 years even though we're not thin now. That's why dropping Monterio Hunt didn't make any sense to me unless we actually bring in someone like Bowie that we feel is better. Our immediate need at outside WR would have been better filled by a JUCO since it's more presently needed.

To me, I absolutely think you take a guy like Bowie if he wants to come to MSU. He is a slot WR, but he's also 6'0" and if we believe that Donald Gray is an outside WR at 5'9" that tells me that we probably could profile Bowie as both in our system like Fred Ross did for us by playing both outside and slot positions.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Me either. I think the only reason most of our fanbase wants him is because it would mean we pulled off a major flip from OM.

BB30
01-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Yea, Bowie is listed at 6'1" I think he is a guy you can move around and do some different things with him.

BB30
01-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Me either. I think the only reason most of our fanbase wants him is because it would mean we pulled off a major flip from OM.

And no I would like Bowie because he is a legit athlete that would help us. It has nothing to do with OM

maroonmania
01-20-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't know if it's our coaches or our recruiting reporters or what- but we should look at recruiting like a long range 4-5 years down the road type of thing rather than a help next season type of deal. Honestly, if we're looking at it from a long range standpoint- we have Couch, Todd, and Mitchell as true or redshirt freshmen, possibly Austin Williams if he doesn't become a TE/H-Back, and as of now Malik Heath and the only slot guy coming in Nero Nelson who could possibly be moved to CB. Yes, outside WR is a need at the present moment but actually unless we take a slot WR or two now- we're going to be thin there in about 3-4 years even though we're not thin now. That's why dropping Monterio Hunt didn't make any sense to me unless we actually bring in someone like Bowie that we feel is better. Our immediate need at outside WR would have been better filled by a JUCO since it's more presently needed.

To me, I absolutely think you take a guy like Bowie if he wants to come to MSU. He is a slot WR, but he's also 6'0" and if we believe that Donald Gray is an outside WR at 5'9" that tells me that we probably could profile Bowie as both in our system like Fred Ross did for us by playing both outside and slot positions.

Oh I definitely want him but I thought the question was more is he a bigger need than Odom? I'm thinking we are in more need of a good HS DE than we are a slot guy but we really need both I guess.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought Bowie is projected to play defense in college.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2017, 05:46 PM

If he plays offense he's an outside WR. He could also play CB. Either position we need help & elite talent at.

Todd4State
01-20-2017, 05:47 PM
And no I would like Bowie because he is a legit athlete that would help us. It has nothing to do with OM

This is it for me too.

GTHOM
01-20-2017, 05:51 PM

I think our WRs will be fine regardless but we would take Bowie over Odom every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Todd4State
01-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Oh I definitely want him but I thought the question was more is he a bigger need than Odom? I'm thinking we are in more need of a good HS DE than we are a slot guy but we really need both I guess.

To me, when it comes to recruiting that's an apples and oranges kind of question because we really could use both and with 25 spots theoretically it shouldn't be an either/or between those two. There should be someone else to "drop"- and to me it should be more of a Hunt vs. Bowie question and I guess our coaches decided to roll the dice here and we'll see if it works out. At least it does appear that Bowie is visiting per his Twitter account so that's the first step. And to your point about outside WR- I do think we should take McMath and Bowie if we have the opportunity to do so.

I hope we get Odom back too- but I'm not sure what his visit status is at this point other than last I heard he was supposed to come to Starkville with his Dad. I hope that happens because after Sirmon's alleged bad mouthing of us I'm glad we're going to get the last word in on that. Based on what I saw Sirmon isn't going to be at Louisville for long running that garbage he ran with us.

Todd4State
01-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought Bowie is projected to play defense in college.

One thing I think we're kind of bad about as fans- me included and not calling you or anyone out personally or anything like that- is we're bad about pigeon holing players at certain positions sometimes. Two years ago, who would have thought Jamal Peters would be a CB? Not me and I think most people thought he would be a safety or LB. But it looks like it's going to work out great. I think if you have a chance to get a great athlete I think you absolutely do it and then you figure out where they fit in sometimes later after they get on campus in some cases. Some guys are obviously QB's or RB's or whatever like Keytaeon and Kylin but with some players there is some gray area. I think Bowie would fit in that gray area. I could see him profiling at outside WR, slot WR, or corner. Regardless of where he ends up, he could help us out wherever that is.