PDA

View Full Version : Sec west coaches win totals

confucius say
01-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Gus- 8.25 regular season wins a year at auburn

Sumlin- 8.2 regular season wins a year at A&M

Freeze- 7.2 regular season wins a year at Mississippi (pending NCAA reduction)

Mullen- 7 regular season wins a year at state

Bert- 5.75 regular season wins a year at ark

Conclusions:

Gus and sumlin underachieve greatly considering they are both top ten recruiters according to 247 composite (Gus average class is 8 and sumlin is 11: Mullen is 26 FYI).

Bears are not getting much bang for their recruiting buck and, as is being seen, their cheating to win model is not sustainable.

Mullen has had sustained success over 8 years at the second hardest place to win in the sec (sorry vandy).

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
No one is arguing that Mullen isn't doing more with less, but could you imagine how good we could be if they weren't lazy at a few spots on the recruiting trail. No one is expecting a Top 15 class every year, but we better not be losing prospects to Louisville and the like.

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Conclusions:

Gus and sumlin underachieve greatly considering they are both top ten recruiters according to 247 composite (Gus average class is 8 and sumlin is 11: Mullen is 26 FYI).

Bears are not getting much bang for their recruiting buck and, as is being seen, their cheating to win model is not sustainable.

Mullen has had sustained success over 8 years at the second hardest place to win in the sec (sorry vandy).

Not gonna argue too much here but it might be a better snapshot of looking at just SEC W wins. Here's why, in AUs case they have played Lville and Clemson each of the last 2 years OOC + all intra-conference games are not created equal either.

Before anyone says it, I'm not on the Gus Bus quite as much as RP. I figure you can throw Gus, Dan, and Freeze in a bag, shake it up and what comes out will be about the same, with the exceptions that Dan develops QBs better than both and he's honest too. I'll definitely give Dan cudos for those 2 things. Dan might be slightly better coach (not entirely sure) than the other 2, but doesn't take to recruiting like they do (and they would even if they ain't cheatin).

All three seem to perform better when no one is paying too much attention to them. They all struggle some as favorites.

MedDawg
01-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Conclusions:

Not all the coaches started the same. Mullen was a brand new coach taking over a Croom program. Freeze took over a bad Nutt program but had been a head coach for a few years at smaller schools. Gus had been a head coach for just 1 season at a smaller school but was taking over a loaded Auburn program (despite AU going 3-9 (0-8) in Chizik's last year). Bert was an established head coach at a big time program and likely still had good players from Petrino years. Sumlin had been a head coach for a few years before taking over an average A&M program, but has a prime recruiting territory, a huge alumni base, and an in-state rival who has been down for several years.

Mullen being a first-time head coach and taking over for Croom is the least advantageous of the group. Freeze would probably be next (and close), but we know how he succeeded.

After Gus' first 12-win season, he has won 8, 7, and 8 games and is likely on the hot seat.

lamont
01-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Mullen is the only coach that doesn't play a P5 school OOC and loses when he does. So Mullen should get a free win every year

Gus played the team that played for a NC OOC in 2016- and also in 2015

Really Clark?
01-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Not gonna argue too much here but it might be a better snapshot of looking at just SEC W wins. Here's why, in AUs case they have played Lville and Clemson each of the last 2 years OOC + all intra-conference games are not created equal either.

Before anyone says it, I'm not on the Gus Bus quite as much as RP. I figure you can throw Gus, Dan, and Freeze in a bag, shake it up and what comes out will be about the same, with the exceptions that Dan develops QBs better than both and he's honest too. I'll definitely give Dan cudos for those 2 things. Dan might be slightly better coach (not entirely sure) than the other 2, but doesn't take to recruiting like they do (and they would even if they ain't cheatin).

All three seem to perform better when no one is paying too much attention to them. They all struggle some as favorites.

Since 2013:

Auburn 13-11, MSU 11-13, UNM 10-14, A & M 9-15, Ark 7-17 in SEC West games only.

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Since 2013:

Auburn 13-11, MSU 11-13, UNM 10-14, A & M 9-15, Ark 7-17 in SEC West games only.

Now that right there is interesting. Good info Clark. So now we know that if Dan would only recruit an Oline he should dominate the SEC W with of course the exception of the big red elefant.

DancingRabbit
01-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Mike Sherman left Sumlin a pretty well-stocked cupboard. Several future NFL O-linemen plus Manziel and Mike Evans.

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Mike Sherman left Sumlin a pretty well-stocked cupboard. Several future NFL O-linemen plus Manziel and Mike Evans.

Sumlin is by far the most underachieving SEC coach IMO.

smootness
01-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Since 2013:

Whoops.

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:15 PM
One of the differences that Gus & Freeze have on Dan is this too: when they show up to play Bama, they smack them in the mouth some even if they lose. Bama usually knows they were in a football game with them. With the exception of 2013 & 2014, Bama leaves a game after playing us and they ain't broke out in much more of a sweat than they do during their Thursday walk-thru practices in shorts & t-shirts.

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:19 PM
One of the differences that Gus & Freeze have on Dan is this too: when they show up to play Bama, they smack them in the mouth some even if they lose. Bama usually knows they were in a football game with them. With the exception of 2013 & 2014, Bama leaves a game after playing us and they ain't broke out in much more of a sweat than they do during their Thursday walk-thru practices in shorts & t-shirts.

Funny you should mention that... Gus has lost 3 straight to bama by double digits for the first time since '76-'78

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Funny you should mention that... Gus has lost 3 straight to bama by double digits for the first time since '76-'78

Haha .. lots of folks have. We lose by 30.

3 years ago tho he put the fear of god into them in the first half. They usually come out and at least try to scrap with them ... they just don't roll over completely and play dead.

confucius say
01-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Mullen is the only coach that doesn't play a P5 school OOC and loses when he does. So Mullen should get a free win every year

Gus also plays 8 home games a year usually and coaches at a place that is much easier to win with a lot more resources. He is an 8-4 underachieving coach with top 8 talent who you celebrate.

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Haha .. lots of folks have. We lose by 30.

3 years ago tho he put the fear of god into them in the first half. They usually come out and at least try to scrap with them ... they just don't roll over completely and play dead.

The fact you're comparing us to auburn on equal ground is a compliment to Mullen and a slap on the face to Gus

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Since 2013:

So that put's us right smack in the middle of the pack in the SEC West. So Mullen is the lowest paid coach in the SEC West but has 4th most wins after bama,lsu and auburn. That's very interesting! Thats some good info, Clark!

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:33 PM
The fact you're comparing us to auburn on equal ground is a compliment to Mullen and a slap on the face to Gus

Ok. I think Dan could really do great in the SEC W. That's what pisses me off. Outside of Saban no coach in the West impresses me and I think Dan is the smartest on of the bunch. If he'd just not be so damn stubborn about the 2 or 3 things he and his staff need to get better at ... he could be up there every year. Even at po ole MSU.

lamont
01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Gus will play for the West title in 2017. They will be very damn good and a lot better than this year. Probably his best team since he has been at Auburn as HC

lamont
01-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Auburn also has State, Bama, Georgia, and OM at home

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Gus will play for the West title in 2017. They will be very damn good and a lot better than this year. Probably his best team since he has been at Auburn as HC

Here's an intangible for you. If AU is picked to finish 2nd or 3rd in West ... they'll finish 4th or worse. If they picked 4 - 6 ... then they'll be playing Bama for west title.

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:42 PM

So iron bowl for Atlanta? I doubt it

lamont
01-20-2017, 01:52 PM
So iron bowl for Atlanta? I doubt it

They won 8 this past year with their QB hurt and playing a lot of young guys. They didn't return a starter at WR or LB

best team Gus has had this Fall

AROB44
01-20-2017, 01:57 PM
We get it.....You want Mullen gone. You don't care how.....just want him out of here. You will get your wish one day...I just hope it is later rather than sooner.

lamont
01-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Who?

AROB44
01-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Who?

You, of course

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Since 2013:

Lets add this to it - SEC West vs. East since 2013:
Bama 8-0, MSU/A&M/LSU 6-2, OM/AU 5-3, Ark 3-5.

So outside of Bama and LSU that puts AU 18-14, MSU 17-15, OM 16-16, A&M 15-17, Ark 10-23

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Lets add this to it - SEC West vs. East since 2013:
Bama 8-0, MSU/A&M/LSU 6-2, OM/AU 5-3, Ark 3-5.

So outside of Bama and LSU that puts AU 18-14, MSU 17-15, OM 16-16, A&M 15-17, Ark 10-23

But this doesn't fit the Mullen sucks narrative************

Good stuff!

confucius say
01-20-2017, 02:38 PM
They won 8 this past year with their QB hurt and playing a lot of young guys. They didn't return a starter at WR or LB

I agree. Has nothing to do with the OP that he has underachieved. Top 8 talent and 8-4 coach.

Dawgology
01-20-2017, 02:42 PM
But this doesn't fit the Mullen sucks narrative************

Good stuff!

Mullen doesn't suck. No one has said Mullen sucks. He DOES suck at recruiting elite talent though in relation to the success on the field that he typically has. What most people with functioning brains are saying is that if he focused a little more effort on signing top flight talent (maybe tweaked his strategy about) then we might just turn this program...our program...into a nationally elite program. It's not that we hate where we are at it's just that most folks recognize we are on the cusp of something great and we don't understand why more recruiting effort isn't being given when a blind man can see it would push our program into a higher tier.

I swear...with some of you it's all or nothing. Say one thing negative about Mullen and we suddenly want him fired....Jesus...

Political Hack
01-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Gus has taken top 8 recruiting classes and produced exactly squat at the NFL level in terms of offensive contributors. Can't take credit for developing Cam Newton. I think CDM had as much or more time with him than Gus did. Outside of that, there's very few actual contributors and no super stars from Auburn on the offensive side of the ball.

Tre Mason looked to break that mold, but nope. Artis-Payne is solid. Coates is ok. Hopefully Coleman will be a stud OL for the foreseeable future, but they don't really have any true studs coming out of his system.

He does a great job getting a power running game to work out of spread system, but his QB development and skill player development leaves a lot to be desired, especially considering how highly rated his kids are coming out of high school.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Mullen doesn't suck. No one has said Mullen sucks. He DOES suck at recruiting elite talent though in relation to the success on the field that he typically has. What most people with functioning brains are saying is that if he focused a little more effort on signing top flight talent (maybe tweaked his strategy about) then we might just turn this program...our program...into a nationally elite program. It's not that we hate where we are at it's just that most folks recognize we are on the cusp of something great and we don't understand why more recruiting effort isn't being given when a blind man can see it would push our program into a higher tier.

I swear...with some of you it's all or nothing. Say one thing negative about Mullen and we suddenly want him fired....Jesus...

Plenty on here have said Mullen sucks and just a little more than ONE negative thing has been said. I agree that he needs to step up the recruiting and yet he's recruited at a higher level than we have seen since the Tyler years. Just want some perspective.

TUSK
01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Gus and Kevin should be ashamed.

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
So to 'splain ... no, no, no ... better sum up. Bunch of average coaches with 1 elite coach in a slightly above average league. If MSU recruits a little better, especially on the Oline, Dan should dominate everyone but the elite coach.

ETA: He does need to learn how to manage a clock better too. That has cost him about 3 - 5 wins in last 4 years probably. Maybe more.

BB30
01-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Plenty on here have said Mullen sucks and just a little more than ONE negative thing has been said. I agree that he needs to step up the recruiting and yet he's recruited at a higher level than we have seen since the Tyler years. Just want some perspective.

Everyone keeps thinking that we were a recruiting powerhouse before Mullen and in the Jackie era we weren't nor have we really ever been. The positions that are bitched about the most are WR and OL. We have never recruited those positions exceptionally well. Especially OL. Hell the few big time OL we have signed outside of 1 maybe 2 actually panned out. OL is an absolute crap shoot unless it is a for sure can't miss 5* LT which I hate to break it to everyone but we will not sign an OL of that caliber unless he is a M State legacy that just loves MSU. I would be willing to bet that 70% plus of the OL recruits are guys that will have to be developed and you won't know if they have it or not until their 2nd or 3rd year in the program. Do we need to recruit better yes but we are recruiting at a better clip then we have the previous 15 years before Mullen arrived.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Everyone keeps thinking that we were a recruiting powerhouse before Mullen and in the Jackie era we weren't nor have we really ever been. The positions that are bitched about the most are WR and OL. We have never recruited those positions exceptionally well. Especially OL. Hell the few big time OL we have signed outside of 1 maybe 2 actually panned out. OL is an absolute crap shoot unless it is a for sure can't miss 5* LT which I hate to break it to everyone but we will not sign an OL of that caliber unless he is a M State legacy that just loves MSU. I would be willing to bet that 70% plus of the OL recruits are guys that will have to be developed and you won't know if they have it or not until their 2nd or 3rd year in the program. Do we need to recruit better yes but we are recruiting at a better clip then we have the previous 15 years before Mullen arrived.

Yep that's my point. Do I want us to recruit better? Absolutely! Is Mullen bringing more talent in than we ever have? Yes, he is as evidenced by the amount of players in the NFL(and impact players). In my life we have never had this many stars in the NFL. It took Oregon 10 years of being good not great before they started seeing the blue chips come in, same with Clemson, it took them awhile as well, and there are other programs with similar trends. You can't change 100 years of mediocrity overnight. I feel like we are doing it the right way. Just like in business slow steady growth is generally sustainable, while meteoric rises often times result in meteoric falls. Recruiting is frustrating period. It's a nasty dirty business unfortunately. I think everyone on here wants the same thing, for our University to be successful, some are just a little more patient.

BB30
01-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Yep that's my point. Do I want us to recruit better? Absolutely! Is Mullen bringing more talent in than we ever have? Yes, he is as evidenced by the amount of players in the NFL(and impact players). In my life we have never had this many stars in the NFL. It took Oregon 10 years of being good not great before they started seeing the blue chips come in, same with Clemson, it took them awhile as well, and there are other programs with similar trends. You can't change 100 years of mediocrity overnight. I feel like we are doing it the right way. Just like in business slow steady growth is generally sustainable, while meteoric rises often times result in meteoric falls. Recruiting is frustrating period. It's a nasty dirty business unfortunately. I think everyone on here wants the same thing, for our University to be successful, some are just a little more patient.

Exactly. Clemson is and has been hovering around that 15 spot in recruiting, and Oregon in their prime was hovering around that 10-15 spot despite the sustained success they had had. There are only a few teams year in and year out that are going to recruit in the top 10. Just part of it. It doesn't matter who is coaching here we will never be a powerhouse in recruiting. Realistically we should probably be averaging a class in the low to mid 20s and break through that every so often at least for a while. Clemson also has a heck of a lot better history of winning than we do.

So by that margin yes Mullen has underachieved in recruiting but the difference in a class in the high 20 low 30s and one in the mid to low 20s is one maybe two prospects.

According to scout since 2012 Mullen has only had one class outside of the top 25 and has had 3 inside the top 20.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Exactly. Clemson is and has been hovering around that 15 spot in recruiting, and Oregon in their prime was hovering around that 10-15 spot despite the sustained success they had had. There are only a few teams year in and year out that are going to recruit in the top 10. Just part of it. It doesn't matter who is coaching here we will never be a powerhouse in recruiting. Realistically we should probably be averaging a class in the low to mid 20s and break through that every so often at least for a while. Clemson also has a heck of a lot better history of winning than we do.

So by that margin yes Mullen has underachieved in recruiting but the difference in a class in the high 20 low 30s and one in the mid to low 20s is one maybe two prospects.

I think part of what is so frustrating to everyone is the Saban Effect. Everyone in the SEC and especially the West is trying to catch Bama. If during his tenure Bama had just been good but not dynastic and we have a couple of wins over them during that period I don't think you see all this angst(also the fact unm beat them twice increased the frustration factor exponentionally). If 10 years ago I would've been told that over an 8 year period State will average 7.5 wins a year, go to 7 straight bowl games, recruit in the mid to high 20's, be ranked #1, and have one of the best QBs in the NFL i would have laughed in your face. Dan's laid a solid foundation and now has to build on that. Only time will tell now if he's the man that can do that. I hope that he is.

confucius say
01-20-2017, 05:28 PM

According to scout since 2012 Mullen has only had one class outside of the top 25 and has had 3 inside the top 20.

According to 247 composite, ******* average class is 26th

Dawg61
01-20-2017, 05:30 PM
I think part of what is so frustrating to everyone is the Saban Effect.

Glad to see atleast one person gets it. It isn't just part of it though it is the main course.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Glad to see atleast one person gets it. It isn't just part of it though it is the main course.

I believe they call it keeping up with Joneses. Any time you do that you are setting yourself up to fail big time. Take those idiots up north as a ringing example. Yeah they beat bama twice and got a little national pub but to do it they basically sold their souls(and have the exact same record as us over that period) and now the devil is coming for his payment.

maroonmania
01-20-2017, 05:45 PM

Well that will not be the case going forward. We have already started with playing the P5 team the SEC forced us to play. The extra automatic win OOC is gone now.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Another interesting little tidbit, Mullen strength of schedule average=24, Jackie(first 8 years) strength of schedule average=51. Jackie strength of schedule for his whole tenure=44.

lamont
01-20-2017, 06:02 PM
You, of course

Why so harsh with me? I just pointed out that we dont play P5 teams OOC like the rest of the West cause we lose to them. The rest of the thread I've just stated why I think Auburn is going to be really ****ing good next year

Commercecomet24
01-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Why so harsh with me? I just pointed out that we dont play P5 teams OOC like the rest of the West cause we lose to them. The rest of the thread I've just stated why I think Auburn is going to be really ****ing good next year

Go to your safe place.

Dawg61
01-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Another interesting little tidbit, Mullen strength of schedule average=24, Jackie(first 8 years) strength of schedule average=51. Jackie strength of schedule for his whole tenure=44.

Also BYU isn't a Power 5 school because they are an independent but they did have a Power Index ranking of #31 which is 10 spots ahead of Georgia's #41 for reference.

lamont
01-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Well that will not be the case going forward. We have already started with playing the P5 team the SEC forced us to play. The extra automatic win OOC is gone now.

Exactly

lamont
01-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Also BYU isn't a Power 5 school because they are an independent but they did have a Power Index ranking of #31 which is 10 spots ahead of Georgia's #41 for reference.

and of course- we lost

Dawg61
01-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Why so harsh with me? I just pointed out that we dont play P5 teams OOC like the rest of the West cause we lose to them.

Arkansas played at a neutral site vs TCU who has an FPI of #34
MSU played @ BYU who has an FPI of #31

Both games went into 2 OT

lamont
01-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Arkansas played at a neutral site vs TCU who has an FPI of #34
MSU played @ BYU who has an FPI of #31

Both games went into 2 OT

A) BYU isnt P5- but at least we stepped up our game a little. We still lost though, fortunately it wasnt the beating we took in 2013. We have had by far the easiest OOC schedule in the West for a longtime now.

UPig played TCU and won
Auburn played Clemson and had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game
Bama played USC
LSU played Wisconsin
OM played Fla State
A&M played UCLA

In 2017- we play BYU again who is supposed to be improved as well. But they are still not P5. Let's dont act like we havent been enjoying those 4 free wins OOC every year except 2009 and 2013

msstate7
01-20-2017, 06:50 PM
A) BYU isnt P5- but at least we stepped up our game a little. We still lost though, fortunately it wasnt the beating we took in 2014. We have had by far the easiest OOC schedule in the West for a longtime now.

UPig played TCU and won
Auburn played Clemson and had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game
Bama played USC
LSU played Wisconsin
OM played Fla State
A&M played UCLA

In 2017- we play BYU again who is supposed to be improved as well. But they are still not P5. Let's dont act like we havent been enjoying those 4 free wins OOC every year except 2009 and 2013

Auburn-Clemson was very much like us vs lsu. It was 19-6 Clemson until 3:22 to go. Clemson out gained auburn 399-262 and auburn only avg'd 2.1 per carry.

RougeDawg
01-20-2017, 06:51 PM

This man gets it. Someday I'd like to buy you a beer if ever down in Nola.

Every one of us wants the best for the university and all athletic programs. We are on a plateau right now with our football program. Overall we have as much or more talent than we've ever had. We have the best facilities we've ever had he far. We recruit well at most positions but there are a couple that, if recruited just slightly better, would yield top3 SECWest finishes more years than not and most likely 1-2 playoff births and a really good chance at a national championship. If we had just had a marginally better OLIne in 14&15 we would have won the west in 14 and could have repeated in 15.thisnis what we are talking about. Just marginally better OLIne recruiting and that 7 win average would be more around 9 win average.

bulldawg28
01-20-2017, 07:09 PM

This team couldn't hold the jockstrap to the Nick Marshall 2014 team.

bulldawg28
01-20-2017, 07:23 PM
A) BYU isnt P5- but at least we stepped up our game a little. We still lost though, fortunately it wasnt the beating we took in 2014. We have had by far the easiest OOC schedule in the West for a longtime now.

UPig played TCU and won
Bama played USC
LSU played Wisconsin
OM played Fla State
A&M played UCLA

So now Mullen has to schedule teams, beat them, Market, and follow what every SEC team is doing? Your losing it. You need to follow Bama with your delusion

lamont
01-20-2017, 07:28 PM
So now Mullen has to schedule teams, beat them, Market, and follow what every SEC team is doing? Your losing it. You need to follow Bama with your delusion

No

Mullen needs to recruit better on the OL and DL. That would solve alot of ills. Other West teams play major programs OOC every year and our best OOC is usually La Tech- so when people want to compare wins-losses the last whatever number years lets just be honest.

@UPig
@A&M
Kentucky
BYU

Mullen has 4 swing games in 2017 to show everyone the program isnt slipping. Count me in with Bart Scott- "Cant wait"

smootness
01-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Mullen needs to recruit better on the OL and DL. That would solve alot of ills. Other West teams play major programs OOC every year and our best OOC is usually La Tech- so when people want to compare wins-losses the last whatever number years lets just be honest.

You've already been given the numbers on the SEC West games alone.

Dawgology
01-20-2017, 08:47 PM
This man gets it. Someday I'd like to buy you a beer if ever down in Nola.

Every one of us wants the best for the university and all athletic programs. We are on a plateau right now with our football program. Overall we have as much or more talent than we've ever had. We have the best facilities we've ever had he far. We recruit well at most positions but there are a couple that, if recruited just slightly better, would yield top3 SECWest finishes more years than not and most likely 1-2 playoff births and a really good chance at a national championship. If we had just had a marginally better OLIne in 14&15 we would have won the west in 14 and could have repeated in 15.thisnis what we are talking about. Just marginally better OLIne recruiting and that 7 win average would be more around 9 win average.

I've got family down in that area. I may take you up on that offer some time!

bulldawg28
01-20-2017, 08:51 PM
No

@UPig
@A&M
Kentucky
BYU

Mullen has 4 swing games in 2017 to show everyone the program isnt slipping. Count me in with Bart Scott- "Cant wait"

If Fitz continues improving his passing game and reading defenses we're potentially a 9 win team.