PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Just like the smell of your high school weight room, the taste of your moms spaghetti, the feeling of sleeping in your own bed, and seeing a good friend for the first time in years, the offense we ran today was pleasantly familiar and just felt right. I know I know, it was just Alcorn, but no matter what team you play you have to execute, play fast, and run plays that look right and make sense. Today we saw the offense that we hired Mullen to design. The plays made sense and the players played fast because the plays actually worked because we had a running QB. I don't care how bad Alcorn was, last week we couldn't score against strategically placed chairs!

The Defense looked awesome today, again, I know I know it was just Alcorn, but I specifically remember Alcorn having offensive success the last time we played them. No matter who you play, the defense still has to communicate, be in the correct place, and play fast. Last year we couldn't do any of this, and this year we can. Our d-line was very impressive. They dominated the entire game. Chris Jones, Quay, Denico, Jefferson, Preston Smith, and Virgis were all awesome and blowing up plays. Next week we get PJ Jones back and I expect this unit to be the strength of the team.

Here are my other thoughts:

1. No QB competition for me. Dak is the guy. The offense was sooooooo much more creative, diverse, and versatile today. Furthermore, Dak has quicker feet and quicker shorter release than Tyler. Plain and simple, he's just tougher to defend. Tyler throws a better ball, but to me, that doesn't out-weigh all the positives that Dak brings.

2. We have size and talent at WR. We are so much more talented than last year its not funny.

3. We are a young team. Today it was very apparent to me how much better Mullen has recruited over the past few years. Most of our play makers are freshmen and sophomores.

4. Holloway is a real weapon, that we must find ways to get touches.

5. Shumpert has that look of a guy that gets 25-30 carries per game. Always falls forward, He is will be a wonderful back for us that is able to pick up first downs against the LSU's and Bama's of the world.

6. I don't think we saw as much zone read today with Dak as we will next weekend at Auburn because 1. We didn't want Auburn to get a great look at it and 2. We didn't want to risk injury with Dak. I think we see much more zone read next weekend.

Only negative:

We did well to throw De'Runnya some deep balls today, however, our QBs must get more air under their deep ball to him. A few times that we threw deep to him, our QBs threw line drive type deep balls that negated his enormous size advantage. Just lob it out there where he can catch it at its highest point.

All this being said, if we start Dak next weekend, I feel we could win handily at Auburn. Our defense will hold them in check and our offense will be good enough.

Mullen and Urban Meyer aren't dumb, but its become very apparent that their offense only works with dual threat QBs. Its not Tyler's fault, but, at this point, it is what it is.

When considering what gives us the best chance to win and only that, Dak should start

Drugdog
09-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Spot on analysis.

hacker
09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
+1

Coach 57
09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
+57

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Gracious

smootness
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I like what you're saying here, and I agree with a lot of it.

The problem is, and we've seen this the last couple of years, we open everything up against teams like Alcorn...throw everybody in the game, run the full playbook, etc. - and we look amazing doing it. Obviously, that has a lot to do with the opponent, but it also has to do with the fact that we do actually have some talent and some creative plays in the playbook.

But then we play somebody like LSU, or Oklahoma St., or Bama, and we use essentially just the starters and run the same 8-10 plays over and over. It's like we pucker up and become scared to do anything crazy and possibly make a mistake, when that's really the only shot we have. So we play much more conservatively than the team/offense is really designed to play, and we inevitably aren't ultra-competitive and lose.

I really hope we see more of what we saw today the rest of the year. But unfortunately, it will be a surprise if we do; it more than likely was all about the opponent and not the QB.