PDA

View Full Version : Do not give up on Odom yet..

preachermatt83
01-19-2017, 12:31 PM
He is in fact visiting this weekend.

HoopsDawg
01-19-2017, 12:36 PM
People got way too worked up over Odom. The only de-commits that would bother me are Kylin Hill and Suggs.

The problem with this class is O-line(recurring theme), and WR(recurring theme).

We will tell Odom what we've said all along. He will need to redshirt, work hard, and crack the 2 deep in 3 years.

ScottH
01-19-2017, 12:38 PM
We will tell Odom what we've said all along. He will need to redshirt, work hard, and crack the 2 deep in 3 years.

Let's tweak the sales pitch just a bit.

Jarius
01-19-2017, 12:38 PM
People got way too worked up over Odom. The only de-commits that would bother me are Kylin Hill and Suggs.

The problem with this class is O-line(recurring theme), and WR(recurring theme).

The fact that we have a recruiting class where only 2 decommits would bother you is a huge problem.

confucius say
01-19-2017, 12:43 PM
The fact that we have a recruiting class where only 2 decommits would bother you is a huge problem.

Bc 13 have already enrolled and can't decommit now

msstate7
01-19-2017, 12:44 PM

The best ones are done deals

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
nm

CadaverDawg
01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
He gone.

Time to grab another "diamond" spot filler. Our recruiting makes me nauseous

SDDawg
01-19-2017, 12:50 PM
He ain't showing up for that visit!

bluelightstar
01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
recruiting like this is how you end up losing to South Alabama at home, Kentucky, and BYU in the same season while avoiding a loss to Miami (OH) by the length of a finger

HoopsDawg
01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
He gone.

Time to grab another "diamond" spot filler. Our recruiting makes me nauseous

Hopefully we don't reach and just bank the scholly.

Turfdawg67
01-19-2017, 01:03 PM
recruiting like this is how you end up losing to South Alabama at home, Kentucky, and BYU in the same season while avoiding a loss to Miami (OH) by the length of a finger

Seriously... have you EVER posted anything positive about State?

Bubb Rubb
01-19-2017, 01:04 PM
he gone.

fader2103
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
What about beating Ole Miss with all their 5 * talent?

bluelightstar
01-19-2017, 01:09 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what do you want me to say? "All is well, we have no issues?" I'm happy as anyone that we won the Egg Bowl and beat A&M, but we still have most of the same issues.

BossDawg
01-19-2017, 01:11 PM

He has a point. We've lost out on some big recruits, and many times in mind-numbingly questionable circumstances.

dawgs
01-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Truth hurts.

Tbonewannabe
01-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Hopefully we don't reach and just bank the scholly.

Saban doesn't bank schollies. He just processes the guys who don't cut it or if he can replace with better guys.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 01:27 PM

I totally agree......you would think a $4.5 Million salary would make your level of enthusiasm and your work ethic go up but in Mullen's case there has been an inverse relationship......he wore shorts at the So, Alabama game, shorts!

Dawgface
01-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Can't we get a couple of girls from the Pink Pony to come over for a visit? I hear other schools use this practice.

HoopsDawg
01-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Saban doesn't bank schollies. He just processes the guys who don't cut it or if he can replace with better guys.

I know, but we aren't Bama and Mullen ain't Saban. And we keep our processing to a minimum.

Everyone complains about our recruiting and so do I, but we're not as far off as people think. We just need to improve O-line recruiting and we need to sign 1 legit WR every year. We have also struggled at Corner recently. Bottom line, 1 WR, 1 or 2 corners and 2 or 3 more Olinemen and we are good to go. And I'm not talking about 5 star O-linemen. I'm talking about 3 star guys with legit Power 5 offers. Folks, that's not too much to ask.

travis
01-19-2017, 02:05 PM
I totally agree......you would think a $4.5 Million salary would make your level of enthusiasm and your work ethic go up but in Mullen's case there has been an inverse relationship......he wore shorts at the So, Alabama game, shorts!

Mississippi State fans will bitch about ANYTHING. WHO THE **** CARES? Have you seen how Bill Belichick dresses for games?

louisvilledawg
01-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Tell the coaches, not us. haha..

you preaching to the choir

gtowndawg
01-19-2017, 02:08 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/mHjBdBZuqBvJC/giphy.gif

louisvilledawg
01-19-2017, 02:08 PM

You think he's going to actually show up?

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/07/jlaw-okay.gif

bulldogcountry1
01-19-2017, 02:16 PM

If we still have a chance, it's good that everyone kept their cool and didn't do anything rash.

msstate7
01-19-2017, 02:17 PM
If we still have a chance, it's good that everyone kept their cool and didn't do anything rash.

Nice

preachermatt83
01-19-2017, 02:24 PM
You think he's going to actually show up?

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/07/jlaw-okay.gif
A commited recruit who is coming in this weekend said Odom would be here and it ain't over yet.

NCDawg
01-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Seems like a long time ago when Mullen came to State vowing to get us to Atlanta, and we would be going through Tuscaloosa ringing our cowbells going to the SEC championship. He said he was going to clean up recruiting in Mississippi because "This is our State"... He came pretty close in '14, but failed to recruit enough top athletes for the OL, and refuses to change his OL coach to make us a true competitor for the championship. He also has done a mediocre job in recruiting, although he has brought in top flight QB's, and several other good athletes, but not enough to compete with top SEC programs. Regretfully, I don't believe any of us will ever see State in the championship game as long as Mullen is HC. We should reconcile ourselves to be satisfied with a 6,7, or 8 win season.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Hummm... January sign up. If the enforcer cared anymore he might look here.

HancockCountyDog
01-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Guys, this one is over. The fact that this guy just posted this, is in fact more proof than a signed Letter of Intent.

Matt, do you have any playoff football locks you care to share with the board.

civildawg
01-19-2017, 02:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMq2YZloZM

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Seems like a long time ago when Mullen came to State vowing to get us to Atlanta, and we would be going through Tuscaloosa ringing our cowbells going to the SEC championship. He said he was going to clean up recruiting in Mississippi because "This is our State"... He came pretty close in '14, but failed to recruit enough top athletes for the OL, and refuses to change his OL coach to make us a true competitor for the championship. He also has done a mediocre job in recruiting, although he has brought in top flight QB's, and several other good athletes, but not enough to compete with top SEC programs. Regretfully, I don't believe any of us will ever see State in the championship game as long as Mullen is HC. We should reconcile ourselves to be satisfied with a 6,7, or 8 win season.

So 3 seasons better than that out of 8 (2 out of the last 3) didn't happen I guess.

By the way,I think I'm correct in saying we have only had 6 seasons in our entire history with better than 8 wins, half of them were under Mullen.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Care to list the teams that HAVE made it to Atlanta the last 8 years? Did all of the others who haven't made it had coaches whose goal was NOT to get there? Have those programs had 7 straight years of 6 wins or more? Did any of them reach #1 in the country at any point? Do any of those teams join us in the top 3 in the SEC in total wins the last 3 years? Just wondering how those lists look compared to ours...might be interesting

maroonmania
01-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Well seemingly nobody has said much negative about Odom. Our coaching staff is catching the heat on this deserved or not. This decommit makes very little sense unless Odom is tied at the hip to a DC that showed to be terrible at running a defense. Actually, if Odom was a LB it might make a little more sense.

fader2103
01-19-2017, 04:36 PM

OK? I wore shorts also, it was hot that day

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 04:58 PM
OK? I wore shorts also, it was hot that day

.....and you are not being paid $4.5 Mill/yr to represent our institution and hopefully win football games.....what's he gonna do next, wear a tube top? LOL The point is it gives the appearance of not taking his responsibilities seriously and when you lose to lesser teams those kind of things stand out.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-19-2017, 05:43 PM
.....and you are not being paid $4.5 Mill/yr to represent our institution and hopefully win football games.....what's he gonna do next, wear a tube top? LOL The point is it gives the appearance of not taking his responsibilities seriously and when you lose to lesser teams those kind of things stand out.

Sun's out guns out brah.

TimberBeast
01-19-2017, 05:57 PM
So 3 seasons better than that out of 8 (2 out of the last 3) didn't happen I guess.

By the way,I think I'm correct in saying we have only had 6 seasons in our entire history with better than 8 wins, half of them were under Mullen.

I know you feel you have to come to the rescue of any post you perceive as negative about Mullen, but what he said is exactly correct. Every word of it is right whether you like it or not.

WPDawg
01-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Sounds a little preppy on your part. If you are running an agenda, and need some fluff, try to find something better. To each his own. If he feels better wearing a suit or wearing shorts, I could care less. Funny how so many people want to take their "perceived" ideas of what goes on inside DM's head and make calculated comments that they know the problem.

My 'perception' is a bunch of you really dislike DM because he doesn't meet you for breakfast to discuss recruiting and game plans. You can't stand that he is smug with info and therefore you create your own theories of who done it. Its like a bunch of women on a gossip line.

Bully13
01-19-2017, 06:54 PM
There's 2 sides to this. I would prefer slacks and a MSU golf shirt. Let the assistants wear the shorts if they want. Nothing wrong with appearing professional when you are the head guy. And yes, losing to South Alabama in shorts DOES make it worse.

Having said that, if he could beat bamer, I wouldn't care if he wore short cutoffs up to his balls with a tube top.

DawgPoundtheRock
01-19-2017, 06:55 PM

You are kidding, right? You forgot these ************

My gawd, only at State.......................or are you a State fan at all?

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 06:56 PM
There's 2 sides to this. I would prefer slacks and a MSU golf shirt. Let the assistants wear the shorts if they want. Nothing wrong with appearing professional when you are the head guy. And yes, losing to South Alabama in shorts DOES make it worse.

Having said that, if he could beat bamer, I wouldn't care if he wore short cutoffs up to his balls with a tube top.

If he beat Bammer he could be naked and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Don't want to see it but it would be nuthin to bitch about on that day.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 06:59 PM
I know you feel you have to come to the rescue of any post you perceive as negative about Mullen, but what he said is exactly correct. Every word of it is right whether you like it or not.

And every word I said is a matter of record. It isn't opinion like what you just defended. I know y'all hate that, but it is FACT. You ARE correct about one thing though, I most likely WILL show up when the poor old whooped down MSU people show up like they have today. Enough of the bitching. That's all we have ever done.

Goldendawg
01-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Odom is listed as a WDE, so are Rivers and Sweat. Do you think us taking so many JC EE guys is being used against us by other programs in the recruiting of HS players at the same positions? Just want other opinions. Times have changed, but a heavy JC class hurt us with HS players in Jackie's last years. (Being under NCAA watch didn't help either. Another reason we should be cleaning us MS.).

bulldawg28
01-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Odom is listed as a WDE, so are Rivers and Sweat. Do you think us taking so many JC EE guys is being used against us by other programs in the recruiting of HS players at the same positions? Just want other opinions. Times have changed, but a heavy JC class hurt us with HS players in Jackie's last years. (Being under NCAA watch didn't help either. Another reason we should be cleaning us MS.).

Jackie signing jucos never impacted high school recruits.

confucius say
01-19-2017, 09:57 PM

Considering Odom tweeted that Louisville was just a better situation for him, I'd say you are onto something

GTHOM
01-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Mullen is a good offensive coach and is a great developer, but he is not cut out for the recruiting game. Its a dirty business and Mullen is not a dirty guy. Mullen is also hard headed and has a ego that hurts him more than it helps him at times. Its been 8 years of it not sure why anyone is surprised anymore.

All that said, Mullen has shut doubters up before so he might do it again by landing Gay, flipping 1 or 2 by NSD. Losing Odom isn't ideal but he wasn't playing over Sweat or Rivers unless he were to absolutely show out in august. Looking at it from his point of view its not hard to see why he committed to UL. Me personally I dont understand why everyone is flipping out about our WRs. We are going to be fine there, Mullen threw the ball with Chris Relf and Bumphis being our best WR. We are much better than that now. We need legit SEC OL and DL depth.

munk_munk92
01-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Mullen is a good offensive coach and is a great developer, but he is not cut out for the recruiting game. Its a dirty business and Mullen is not a dirty guy. Mullen is also hard headed and has a ego that hurts him more than it helps him at times. Its been 8 years of it not sure why anyone is surprised anymore.

All that said, Mullen has shut doubters up before so he might do it again by landing Gay, flipping 1 or 2 by NSD. Losing Odom isn't ideal but he wasn't playing over Sweat or Rivers unless he were to absolutely show out in august. Looking at it from his point of view its not hard to see why he committed to UL. Me personally I dont understand why everyone is flipping out about our WRs. We are going to be fine there, Mullen threw the ball with Chris Relf and Bumphis being our best WR. We are much better than that now. We need legit SEC OL and DL depth.

This all day. I think our 2 receivers we signed late are going to be really good. osirus Mitchell and Reginald todd are studs. We got gray, dear, then we need them 2 to step up and I believe they will. I would like to have a speedster on the roster, someone who can break a tackle and take it to the house on a regular basis. Other than that, OL and DL win ball games.

Madisonmd
01-20-2017, 06:03 AM
This all day. I think our 2 receivers we signed late are going to be really good. osirus Mitchell and Reginald todd are studs. We got gray, dear, then we need them 2 to step up and I believe they will. I would like to have a speedster on the roster, someone who can break a tackle and take it to the house on a regular basis. Other than that, OL and DL win ball games.

Odom decommit has been brewing for several weeks, ever since MS/AL game. His father is a big influence not to come i understand. Odom got to know some other recruits at all star game and heard how their "recruiting sales pitches" were going and he apparently was not getting same "pitch". Sirmon is definitely stirring the pot on this one. We still have a chance, mom very important. If he shows this weekend will tell a lot. FWIW

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2017, 06:44 AM

Not only this, but he's going against another program in the state that hasn't been playing by the same rules. Not only has it made an impact on recruits they've already paid not to visit us or had on campus, but it's setting a standard as to what the recruits are expecting from their "sales pitch". OM has royalty ****ed recruiting in this state.

msbulldog
01-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Odom's best bud from high school plays football for UL, he said that's why he OV'ed there. Sirmon saw his opportunity and took it. Some times there are circumstances that can not be over come.

maroonmania
01-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Odom's best bud from high school plays football for UL, he said that's why he OV'ed there. Sirmon saw his opportunity and took it. Some times there are circumstances that can not be over come.

Whatever, its always something with us and recruiting. Apparently there are a lot of things we can't overcome when it comes to recruiting with this staff. Heck, we have trouble keeping 85 on scholarship.

BB30
01-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Whatever, its always something with us and recruiting. Apparently there are a lot of things we can't overcome when it comes to recruiting with this staff. Heck, we have trouble keeping 85 on scholarship.

We have never recruited at a high level with any staff we have had. Everyone likes to inflate the Jackie era but for the most part it was not as glamorous as everyone makes it out to be. He had 1 ten win season when the SEC west was pretty terrible. We should have won the west 2-3 times during his run and couldn't pull it off. For whatever reason we have always sucked at recruiting. Everyone talks about how Mullen sucks when it comes to WR and OL but Jackie sucked at recruiting those same positions. Our offense was atrocious during Jackie's years. We had a couple of good RBs and that was about it.

Jarius
01-20-2017, 10:14 AM

You're exactly right. We make so many excuses for this staff in recruiting. They are losing kids to Louisville. Louisville! Their parents will get to see them play a couple times a year. They are 9 hours from home. The best defensive players in our state are going to Louisville to play football for the worst defensive coordinator in the country (and it's not even close) and we are making excuses for them. A mid tear ACC school a full day's drive away from these kids home town is beating our staff to death on in state prospects.

maroonmania
01-20-2017, 11:06 AM
You're exactly right. We make so many excuses for this staff in recruiting. They are losing kids to Louisville. Louisville! Their parents will get to see them play a couple times a year. They are 9 hours from home. The best defensive players in our state are going to Louisville to play football for the worst defensive coordinator in the country (and it's not even close) and we are making excuses for them. A mid tear ACC school a full day's drive away from these kids home town is beating our staff to death on in state prospects.

Exactly, just sick to hear any more excuses spewing. ONLY AT MSU could you hire a player's former HC as your recruiting assistant and have his current HS HC be a former player and yet sit back and make a statement like "Some times there are circumstances that can not be over come" when you lose him to a school that is over 500 miles away and is not even a traditional football school. And to add to the situation just hired the DC that MSU fired because his performance as a coordinator was awful. We seem to have to work really hard to make ourselves feel better in these situations apparently. And the worst part is that apparently, the WR at said school for next year, who we really need more than a DE, has now had his "eyes opened" (whatever that involves) and will like decommit from us as well.

Bully13
01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
We have never recruited at a high level with any staff we have had. Everyone likes to inflate the Jackie era but for the most part it was not as glamorous as everyone makes it out to be. He had 1 ten win season when the SEC west was pretty terrible. We should have won the west 2-3 times during his run and couldn't pull it off. For whatever reason we have always sucked at recruiting. Everyone talks about how Mullen sucks when it comes to WR and OL but Jackie sucked at recruiting those same positions. Our offense was atrocious during Jackie's years. We had a couple of good RBs and that was about it.

Not bad. Pretty spot on.

CadaverDawg
01-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Ouch. So true. Rep given

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:12 PM

I'm sure I'm about to get roasted, but perhaps we raided Louisville last year for the wrong defensive coach. After hearing all the praise of Buckley's epic recruiting, I was shocked to realize that dunning (3* 88.27) is his all time highest rated commit including Louisville. At state, he's gotten 3*s (dunning, Tyler Williams, and James Jackson).

I investigated more and noticed that louisville's pass defense under Buckley was 10th in the ACC. This year Louisville went to 5th in the ACC without him. I don't think I have to tell you guys that our safeties were beyond bad this when we all expected Bryant to make a huge leap forward.

Now I'm not saying fire Buckley or anything, but I am a little concerned about him taking over the secondary completely next season

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm sure I'm about to get roasted, but perhaps we raided Louisville last year for the wrong defensive coach. After hearing all the praise of Buckley's epic recruiting, I was shocked to realize that dunning (3* 88.27) is his all time highest rated commit including Louisville. At state, he's gotten 3*s (dunning, Tyler Williams, and James Jackson).

I investigated more and noticed that louisville's pass defense under Buckley was 10th in the ACC. This year Louisville went to 5th in the ACC without him. I don't think I have to tell you guys that our safeties were beyond bad this when we all expected Bryant to make a huge leap forward.

Now I'm not saying fire Buckley or anything, but I am a little concerned about him taking over the secondary completely next season

Hold on ... I'm looking for my lighter. I'll get back to you when I find it ****

GTHOM
01-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Sorry but Avery is not a 4 star and shouldnt have been a dandy. JJ Russell looked way better than him in the all star game

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Hold on ... I'm looking for my lighter. I'll get back to you when I find it ****

Then compare Hev's 3 commits (champion, Phillips, and Richardson) to Buckley's this year and they're almost almost identical in ratings. Oh and Hev is likely to pull in gay who is borderline 5*. Just don't understand the praise of Buckley's recruiting

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Then compare Hev's 3 commits (champion, Phillips, and Richardson) to Buckley's this year and they're almost almost identical in ratings. Oh and Hev is likely to pull in gay who is borderline 5*. Just don't understand the praise of Buckley's recruiting

I was kiddin dude. Thus the *****. I really liked (dammit I'm drawing a blank here) our previous CB coach. There has been a little something nagging at the back of my mind that TBuck may not be quite as good as the hype maybe. Not sure why but it has been there just a little. I don't know yet ... still waiting to see.

msstate7
01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
I was kiddin dude. Thus the *****. I really liked (dammit I'm drawing a blank here) our previous CB coach. There has been a little something nagging at the back of my mind that TBuck may not be quite as good as the hype maybe. Not sure why but it has been there just a little. I don't know yet ... still waiting to see.
Yeah, I know.... just added the Hev comparison. Now if Buckley pulls in lenoir, I'll gladly eat my words

dawgday166
01-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I know.... just added the Hev comparison. Now if Buckley pulls in lenoir, I'll gladly eat my words

Deshea Townsend ... refused to look it up and finally remembered. Liked him with the Steelers too.

Jarius
01-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Sorry but Avery is not a 4 star and shouldnt have been a dandy. JJ Russell looked way better than him in the all star game

He's a player that our coaches thought was good enough to give a scholarship to and he chose to go to Louisville over MSU. Our coaches don't have a problem identifying talent so I'll take theirs over yours.

ScreenCaptureThis
01-20-2017, 02:04 PM
A commited recruit who is coming in this weekend said Odom would be here and it ain't over yet.

Your inside information is mind blowing. You've been spot on at every turn. Keep 'em comin' **