View Full Version : Last four years

1bigdawg
01-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Here is where we finished the last four years in the SEC West

2013 - Tied for 5th/6th
2014 - 2nd
2015 - Tied for 5th/6th
2016 - Tied for 5th/6th

If our coaching staff is so great at developing talent, it should be obvious that they need better talent to coach.

bluelightstar
01-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah, but they always pick us to finish last! Instead, we finish next to last! #HailMullen**

SaintDawg
01-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah, but they always pick us to finish last! Instead, we finish next to last! #HailMullen**

That's a "glass is half full" attitude. I like it.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 12:07 PM
You bring too much common sense to the board. You will be ridiculed.

maroonmania
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
To win in the SEC you have to have a coach that is very good in all aspects of his job, especially at a school like MSU that has a few more disadvantages than the top SEC power programs. Mullen is a good coach but has too many flaws to ever get us routinely toward the top of the SEC or SEC West. Recruiting is his biggest one which is aided by keeping assistants on the staff that not good recruiters along with the inability to maintain a good defensive staff with some continuity. Mullen will typically get us to minor bowl games with the exception at rare times of exceeding expectations and going to a nice bowl game OR missing a bowl game altogether (which is what would normally happen after a year like this year). Mullen is what he is at this point so you are either good with that or you aren't.

AROB44
01-19-2017, 12:11 PM
I think he should be fired immediately. I am sure we can get a top notch coach to come to MSU based on what I read on message boards.********

Beaver
01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
You bring too much common sense to the board. You will be ridiculed.

Common sense says that MSU should finish about 5th in the West every single year. If you think about it there's no reason Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M shouldn't beat us every single year in recruiting and on the field.

lamont
01-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Damn you and your facts!!!! Agendaaaaaaaaa

Ari Gold
01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Finishing 4th , 5th, or even 6th in the west with a staff and head coach All In is one thing but
Finishing 4th , 5th or even 6th with the staff and head coach ****ing half-assin it is the issue with majority here.

HancockCountyDog
01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Common sense says that MSU should finish about 5th in the West every single year. If you think about it there's no reason Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M shouldn't beat us every single year in recruiting and on the field.

I have met the enemy and he is us.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
How could a national program like MSU with all its' resources not finish ahead of Bama, LSU, Auburn, & A&M every year? Pathetic. I mean, what do those schools offer that we don't?? They're cupcakes!! What is 7 straight bowl games, a stint at #1, and the best QB play in our school's history if we can't be ahead of those 4 cream puffs every year??!!***

Just stop. Try thinking before posting. It's easy to throw out "tied for 5th/6th" without listing the top 4 or looking at the fact that with most coaches in the country, we're likely not tied for 5th/6th, but all alone in 7th.

msstate7
01-19-2017, 12:23 PM
How could a national program like MSU with all its' resources not finish ahead of Bama, LSU, Auburn, & A&M every year? Pathetic. I mean, what do those schools offer that we don't?? They're cupcakes!! What is 7 straight bowl games, a stint at #1, and the best QB play in our school's history if we can't be ahead of those 4 cream puffs every year??!!***

Just stop. Try thinking before posting. It's easy to throw out "tied for 5th/6th" without listing the top 4 or looking at the fact that with most coaches in the country, we're likely not tied for 5th/6th, but all alone in 7th.

Yep.

bluelightstar
01-19-2017, 12:27 PM

forget finishing ahead of them -- it'd be a nice start to do better than 6-23. Thank goodness Arkansas/Auburn/Ole Miss have cycled being in the tank during his tenure

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 12:31 PM
forget finishing ahead of them -- it'd be a nice start to do better than 6-23. Thank goodness Arkansas/Auburn/Ole Miss have cycled being in the tank during his tenure

We'd be 0-29 with Croom or Sherrill

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Common sense says if you pay top 15-20 money for something you better start seeing top 15-20 results, or you make a change. Period.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Bullshit. If we'd recruited halfway decent at OL during the 2011-2014 years we'd have a national championship. We would have been in running for playoffs again in 2015. Simply upgrading our recruiting ny a small margin and we would be looking st the 1st playoff champ trophy on Starkville.

It's not that hard to see how little of a recruiting bump we need to take that next step but our coaches don't care enough to do it. Plain and simple.

msstate7
01-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Common sense says if you pay top 15-20 money for something you better start seeing top 15-20 results, or you make a change. Period.

Well we pay bottom 6-7 money in west, so there you go

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 12:57 PM
If we'd recruited halfway decent at OL during the 2011-2014 years we'd have a national championship.

No we wouldn't cause Mullen would still get his ass kicked vs Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Dabo in a head to head competition for all the marbles. If you were to switch Mullen and Saban right before our game vs Bama in 2014, Saban still beats Mullen's ass with MSU players and Mullen coaching Saban's Bama team.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 01:04 PM

You want to fire Dan Mullen? Holy shit.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
No we wouldn't cause Mullen would still get his ass kicked vs Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Dabo in a head to head competition for all the marbles. If you were to switch Mullen and Saban right before our game vs Bama in 2014, Saban still beats Mullen's ass with MSU players and Mullen coaching Saban's Bama team.

You have a point but we still almost came back against Bama, despite Dans tucked tail the entire game. Give Dak more time in pocket early in that game and it's a different outcome.

Dan does go full bitch in big games that matter, no doubt. Almost like he does in big recruiting battles.

Beaver
01-19-2017, 01:09 PM

We don't pay top 15-20 money for our football program. Results in football are more than just the head coach...

lamont
01-19-2017, 01:20 PM
How could a national program like MSU with all its' resources not finish ahead of Bama, LSU, Auburn, & A&M every year? Pathetic. I mean, what do those schools offer that we don't?? They're cupcakes!! What is 7 straight bowl games, a stint at #1, and the best QB play in our school's history if we can't be ahead of those 4 cream puffs every year.

Yep. 6-23 is totally acceptable cause we just poor ol State

lamont
01-19-2017, 01:21 PM
We'd be 0-29 with Croom or Sherrill

What would we have been with Jimbo Fisher- who was turned down by us?

Dawgface
01-19-2017, 01:26 PM
What would we have been with Jimbo Fisher- who was turned down by us?

I bet he's thanking God that deal didn't work out.

KB21
01-19-2017, 01:26 PM

The facts are that Mississippi State is tied for 3rd among SEC teams in wins over the past 3 years. We should fire Dan for that.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Well we pay bottom 6-7 money in west, so there you go

Exactly, That'll leave a mark.

We have too many message board heroes that don't think about shit before diarrhea of the mouth begins. We all want a football National Championship, but 1) We probably aren't winning one any time soon, along with all but about 5 programs in FBS....2) Sustainined winning is the only way to build a Championship team unless you combine probation-esque recruiting with a great X&O guy & motivator, and win one before you get sanctioned. Clemson is doing it right now, but bc they're not Alabama or the SEC winning Titles everyone turns a blind eye.

Learn to enjoy being the best we've ever been, and bitch about how we can improve recruiting, etc...but the answer is NOT to wipe out everything and start over. And it's 100% moronic if anybody thinks so.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2017, 01:30 PM
The facts are that Mississippi State is tied for 3rd among SEC teams in wins over the past 3 years. We should fire Dan for that.

Another fact that kills narratives. Nice

HSVDawg
01-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Why were those 4 teams arbitrarily selected? Basically, we lose to Bama and LSU every year. 1-15 against them. That puts us at 5-8 against the other 2 teams, which isn't great but isn't terrible either considering the overall gap in resources. Its a Bama / LSU problem (elite talent schools), not a Bama / Auburn / LSU / A&M problem.

Really, its a matter of how we can close the gap against LSU and get to where we can beat them semi-regularly, because nobody is catching Bama until Saban retires. That is just the reality of it.

MadDawg
01-19-2017, 03:28 PM

It's just like posting Mullen's record against the top 25 without mentioning half of those games against the top 25 are actually against the top 5.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 03:37 PM
You want to fire Dan Mullen? Holy shit.

Please bold where I said that. I'm having a difficult time finding it.

Let me clarify since you only read what you want something to say.

Making as much as Mullen does he should be held accountable to recruit better. Period. It's apparent that he's not been held to any standard to this point. Maybe Cohen or Keenum will step in if this shit show closing continues until signing day.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 03:43 PM
We don't pay top 15-20 money for our football program. Results in football are more than just the head coach...

So you are gonna pay Mercedes money and be happy driving an impala leaking oil. A college head football coaches responsibilities include recruiting, which may be the top responsibility of all. It's inherently clear that our top 15-20 paid head coach does not work very hard in this very important area. The most important area we need to focus if we are to ever have a legitimate chance at Atlanta outside of a NFL rookie of the year QB on your team. When we battle CUSA and AAC twamsnfor rexruits, it's not that difficult to see why we continually finish 5-7th in the west.

Until Dan gets off his ass and starts recruiting st a $4.5 mil level we will stay where we are in the SEC pecking order while he collects a check.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Making as much as Mullen does he should be held accountable to recruit better. Period. It's apparent that he's not been held to any standard to this point. Maybe Cohen or Keenum will step in if this shit show closing continues until signing day.

Ok, bolded it for you. Backtrack further outta your words next time I don't think you backed up enough in this last post.

BB30
01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Eh your dealing with 18 year old kids, I would hate recruiting too. Pay me 4.5 million dollars a year and it would instantly be my favorite thing in the world. Slightly OT but at the end of the day having a job that relies primarily on the decision of 18 year old kids would absolutely be miserable. When I was 18 my mind would literally change from one hour to the next just on what I wanted to eat, much less any serious decisions.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Exactly, That'll leave a mark.

We have too many message board heroes that don't think about shit before diarrhea of the mouth begins. We all want a football National Championship, but 1) We probably aren't winning one any time soon, along with all but about 5 programs in FBS....2) Sustainined winning is the only way to build a Championship team unless you combine probation-esque recruiting with a great X&O guy & motivator, and win one before you get sanctioned. Clemson is doing it right now, but bc they're not Alabama or the SEC winning Titles everyone turns a blind eye.

Learn to enjoy being the best we've ever been, and bitch about how we can improve recruiting, etc...but the answer is NOT to wipe out everything and start over. And it's 100% moronic if anybody thinks so.

Nobody is saying start over. People are saying that dan needs to get off his dick and start putting more effort into recruiting. That's it. Stop losing recruits we have no business losing. Start closing on better classes. Stop his bullshit Yankee attitude in recruits homes (a few have told me themselves that his turned them off). No one has held dan accountable in this area. Until someone does, I guess we can all enjoy the occasional bell or music city bowls. We don't need much more talent to get over the hump on the field, but we aren't getting he required effort in recruiting that is needed to bring in that talent.

MadDawg
01-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Nobody is saying start over. People are saying that dan needs to get off his dick and start putting more effort into recruiting. That's it. Stop losing recruits we have no business losing. Start closing on better classes. Stop his bullshit Yankee attitude in recruits homes (a few have told me themselves that his turned them off). No one has held dan accountable in this area. Until someone does, I guess we can all enjoy the occasional bell or music city bowls. We don't need much more talent to get over the hump on the field, but we aren't getting he required effort in recruiting that is needed to bring in that talent.

Dude you are trying way too 17ing hard.

Dan needs to go....
Our football program is an "Impala leaking oil"....
Nobody holds Dan accountable....
All we get is the "occasional bell [sic] or music city bowls...

holy crap

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 04:00 PM

So you are gonna pay Mercedes money and be happy driving an impala leaking oil. A college head football coaches responsibilities include recruiting, which may be the top responsibility of all. It's inherently clear that our top 15-20 paid head coach does not work very hard in this very important area. The most important area we need to focus if we are to ever have a legitimate chance at Atlanta outside of a NFL rookie of the year QB on your team. When we battle CUSA and AAC twamsnfor rexruits, it's not that difficult to see why we continually finish 5-7th in the west.

Until Dan gets off his ass and starts recruiting st a $4.5 mil level we will stay where we are in the SEC pecking order while he collects a check.

You seem to have a real problem with how much money Dan Mullen makes. College football and NFL salary's are ridiculous everywhere. Know why? Cause anything that provides entertainment to billions of people makes a lot of money. Movies, music, sports and just about anything else in the entertainment business all make shit tons of money. If everyone else in the SEC paid their coach $1 million a year MSU would do the same. MSU didn't set the standard for SEC West coaches to get paid $5 million a year. We are forced to pay relatively close to that and we do because we have to. If Dan got paid $1 by each of us per every hour we consume MSU football by reading/posting/talking/watching he would make $5 billion a year not $5 million.

1bigdawg
01-19-2017, 04:12 PM
What is wrong with saying we would like our head coach to find a way to recruit better athletes so that we can compete at an even higher level?

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 04:23 PM
What is wrong with saying we would like our head coach to find a way to recruit better athletes so that we can compete at an even higher level?

Nothing when you say it like that.

NCDawg
01-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Bullshit. If we'd recruited halfway decent at OL during the 2011-2014 years we'd have a national championship. We would have been in running for playoffs again in 2015. Simply upgrading our recruiting ny a small margin and we would be looking st the 1st playoff champ trophy on Starkville.

It's not that hard to see how little of a recruiting bump we need to take that next step but our coaches don't care enough to do it. Plain and simple.

I agree. There was a time when we could compete with those powerhouses every year. We can't now, because we can't or won't recruit good enough, and our HC doesn't seem to realize we have a major coaching and recruiting problem on the OL.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 04:37 PM
IHC doesn't seem to realize we have a major coaching and recruiting problem on the OL.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/540/686/696.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/fwcGzF1l2cILe/giphy.gif

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 04:40 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/540/686/696.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/fwcGzF1l2cILe/giphy.gif

That's funny.

Were you the one wanting to fire Howland the other day? Not sure but was thinking so.

blacklistedbully
01-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Bama is the only school that should present an enormous obstacle for us in the West. We have shown we can beat Auburn regularly under Mullen, even without as good recruting. We have shown we can compete with LSU, as even in losses we have come close. We have shown we can compete with aTm.

I absolutely do not concede that losing to anyone other than Bama under Saban is "written in the stars". Dan is really good at some things, but steps on his own dick in enough things to narrowly lose some games we could otherwise win. If he would learn from those mistakes and adjust (including recruiting/staff/game management), we could absolutely compete for the West on occasion. Even if we lose to Bama nearly every game, we'd still have a shot in those years where Bama slips vs others, or we manage to beat them.

Cadaver, nobody is suggesting we should beat Bama, LSU, AU, etc every time we play them. But we should believe we can do it often enough to either compete for the SEC West, compete for a spot in the playoffs as a 2nd SEC team, or make a NY6 game 2-4 times per decade.

With Mullen we are likely to continue to get fantastic QB play...a key ingredient. We have traditionally been a very good team on defense, so need to get back to that. Hopefully Grantham will get us there. We have traditionally had very-good-to-great RB's. We've recently done fairly well at WR, and with Dan's rep for developing and now attracting top QB's, that should improve.

We really need to improve on the O-line. Even with sporadic success, we all know the o-line talent has mostly been not-so-great. If we could just get that solved, we have a great chance to compete.

With better o-line talent on a consistent basis and a return to at least decent defense, we should be able to get it done. Is it really crazy to think we can't?

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
That's funny.

Were you the one wanting to fire Howland the other day? Not sure but was thinking so.

No I am the guy that said Howland needs to stop being everybody's best friend and start getting on their asses. Then they won 3 straight games and went toe to toe with UK. You're welcome.

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
No I am the guy that said Howland needs to stop being everybody's best friend and start getting on their asses. Then they won 3 straight games and went toe to toe with UK. You're welcome.

Hahaha. Ok. So ... Dan chews ass some but we might could win more games if he were as passionate about shopping for recruits as he is for Yeazy's.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Hahaha. Ok. So ... Dan chews ass some but we might could win more games if he were as passionate about shopping for recruits as he is for Yeazy's.

I'll melt on NSD if it warrants it. Problem is not passion it's that Dan thinks he can turn his flip flops into Yeazy's cause he did it a couple of times with Adidas NMD's.

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 05:15 PM
I'll melt on NSD if it warrants it. Problem is not passion it's that Dan thinks he can turn his flip flops into Yeazy's cause he did it a couple of times with Adidas NMD's.

His other problem is that he apparently doesn't chew all the asses that deserve to be chewed.

1bigdawg
01-19-2017, 05:21 PM

I agree completely. The real question is how do we (or Cohen) "coach Mullen up" so that he understands the need to recruit harder/better.

BB30
01-19-2017, 05:29 PM
I agree. There was a time when we could compete with those powerhouses every year. We can't now, because we can't or won't recruit good enough, and our HC doesn't seem to realize we have a major coaching and recruiting problem on the OL.

When the hell could we compete with powerhouses every year? Before Dan beat LSU we couldn't even beat them with Dinardo. We beat bama a couple times in Jackies tenure but they were coming off of probation and sucked and we still couldn't beat them for the west one year and they were absolutely average. The only legit team Jackie beat that would even possibly compare to present day bama was UF and they were but a shell of what Bama is now.

We have never competed with powerhouses every year. Never. I just posted our records over the last 26 years what about those records screams competing with powerhouses? Have you looked at our all time record vs LSU and Alabama? Hell look at our record vs vandy, Ky, USC E, and Ole Miss. We have struggled to historically compete with the worst teams in the SEC until fairly recently.

Since 1990 records vs SEC west opp.

OM 14-13
LSU 4-23
Bama 6-20
Auburn 8-16
Arkansas 7-16-1

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Mullen has brought us to be around a top 30 football program and that is our ceiling.

maroonmania
01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Bama is the only school that should present an enormous obstacle for us in the West. We have shown we can beat Auburn regularly under Mullen, even without as good recruting. We have shown we can compete with LSU, as even in losses we have come close. We have shown we can compete with aTm.

I absolutely do not concede that losing to anyone other than Bama under Saban is "written in the stars". Dan is really good at some things, but steps on his own dick in enough things to narrowly lose some games we could otherwise win. If he would learn from those mistakes and adjust (including recruiting/staff/game management), we could absolutely compete for the West on occasion. Even if we lose to Bama nearly every game, we'd still have a shot in those years where Bama slips vs others, or we manage to beat them.

Cadaver, nobody is suggesting we should beat Bama, LSU, AU, etc every time we play them. But we should believe we can do it often enough to either compete for the SEC West, compete for a spot in the playoffs as a 2nd SEC team, or make a NY6 game 2-4 times per decade.

With Mullen we are likely to continue to get fantastic QB play...a key ingredient. We have traditionally been a very good team on defense, so need to get back to that. Hopefully Grantham will get us there. We have traditionally had very-good-to-great RB's. We've recently done fairly well at WR, and with Dan's rep for developing and now attracting top QB's, that should improve.

We really need to improve on the O-line. Even with sporadic success, we all know the o-line talent has mostly been not-so-great. If we could just get that solved, we have a great chance to compete.

With better o-line talent on a consistent basis and a return to at least decent defense, we should be able to get it done. Is it really crazy to think we can't?

And for all of the talk about how great the SEC was, at least for 2016, second place in the SEC West was there for the taking for any West team that could have gotten their crap together. The SEC wasn't anything to write home about this year. Unfortunately we weren't ready to get ours together.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 06:10 PM
I agree completely. The real question is how do we (or Cohen) "coach Mullen up" so that he understands the need to recruit harder/better.

We can't. We can't make Mullen be Nick Saban. I mean that's really what's going on here. We can't beat Saban and we won't ever beat Saban so y'all are just melting over and over between the difference of winning 8-9 games or winning 10 games a year. 99 years outta 100 we are going to lose atleast 2 games a year. One vs Saban and one vs whoever else in the SEC is having their Cam Newton year. I am not going to be a victim to that frustration any longer. It is what it is and what it is is that we can't beat Nick Saban. Ever. Good for him for turning college football into UConn women's basketball. Yay little midget Saban with an undying inferiority complex. Yea for being borderline insane Nick Saban. Yay for toeing the line of cheating in every possible aspect of college football that you make sure you have a competitive advantage in everything. Yay Nick Saban for getting 400 coaches fired and counting. Yay Nick Saban for giving the people in the state of Alabama something more valuable to them than their own wife/husband/dog/cat. Yay!!!!