PDA

View Full Version : Odom flips to Lville

Steakonastick
01-19-2017, 12:32 AM
sheesh

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Can someone offer any rational for WTF is going on in our recruiting and how Louisville of all teams is coming into Mississippi and getting players we want?

Is Louisville just replacing OM as the team that buys everyone off? This doesn't make any sense or pass the smell test

ScottH
01-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Can Howland take over football recruiting?

Is Mullen recruiting now or out doing his new NCAA committee thing?

As a staff, they go completely limp come the new year. un-f'n-believable.

Irondawg
01-19-2017, 12:55 AM
I guess he really likes Sirmon, but man we just upgraded and I'll be surprised if that dude is there more than 2 years tops.

I thought we'd get a boost from a more established DC, but this is getting embarassing.

Now I also know that the MS crop was not excellent this year unless some guys really develop but sheesh, you've got 6 of the top 10 heading out of state already, with two going to Louisville of all places.

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Problem is, we have to sign someone.

This is our 2nd DE to decommitt

K9 Avenger
01-19-2017, 12:58 AM
Louisville has more dandy dozen commitments than we do...

state66
01-19-2017, 12:59 AM
Sirmon has done more for Louisville in one week than he did for state in a year. Still wont fix that shit scheme.

Bothrops
01-19-2017, 01:00 AM
I told you we suck at recruiting. Oh wait...I'm sure it's that we are re-evaluating and going after better players***

Bothrops
01-19-2017, 01:04 AM
Problem is, we have to sign someone.

This is our 2nd DE to decommitt

We should sign the kid from Indianola, because he's gonna be the best option remaining.

Steakonastick
01-19-2017, 01:04 AM
Our problem is majority of our coaches don't like to recruit. We need somebody on both sides of the ball that gets their rocks off by recruiting.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 01:06 AM
Our problem is majority of our coaches don't like to recruit. We need somebody on both sides of the ball that gets their rocks off by recruiting.

They need Johnny up their ass.

Bothrops
01-19-2017, 01:15 AM

This class may not break the top 30 once it's all over. You'd have to try to be this inept.

ScottH
01-19-2017, 01:18 AM
This class may not break the top 30 once it's all over. You'd have to try to do this bad.

And this is with the Bears a virtual nonfactor.

K9 Avenger
01-19-2017, 01:23 AM
Unless it's women's soccer, I can't think of a sport on campus that recruits worse than the Football program...

Todd4State
01-19-2017, 01:24 AM

Or they don't like to kiss ass. Same difference in this case. And one of the major reasons they are the biggest proponent of an early NSD is because it would make it easier on them- which I am all for by the way.

SDDawg
01-19-2017, 01:46 AM
Y'all can have Sirmon, his dogshit scheme and his half-assed recruits. GTFOH with this garbage, quit whining and go round up some kids if you're that worried about it.

Bothrops
01-19-2017, 01:51 AM
And this is with the Bears a virtual nonfactor.

I think they'll be back to kicking our ass again in recruiting next year. Despite the major setbacks.

GTHOM
01-19-2017, 02:28 AM
If Willie Gay doesnt sign with us we once again will have taken our momentum and wiped our asses with it then flushed it

JoseBrown
01-19-2017, 02:40 AM
It's looking to me like they decided the juco's are enough this year, at least that's all we'll be left with come signing day..hope they work out...

Todd4State
01-19-2017, 03:14 AM
I think they'll be back to kicking our ass again in recruiting next year. Despite the major setbacks.

Unlikely, but if we don't actually land the players and they go out of state it's almost the same difference. Things like this and other recent de-commits are why I have been advocating putting a recruiting performance clause into Dan's contract.

Todd4State
01-19-2017, 03:30 AM
It's looking to me like they decided the juco's are enough this year, at least that's all we'll be left with come signing day..hope they work out...

They're just missing on targets. Even with the JUCO's- we missed on Hayes, Guidry, and Nixon this year despite the fact that yes it was a good JUCO haul. Again, there is a reason why Dan wants the early NSD more than any other coach in the SEC. For whatever reason, we have struggled past December. Adding Peterson and Austin seems to have helped minimally. Like I said before- the common theme with most of our de-commits if you read between the lines in their interviews is "the other school just seemed to want me more". More than likely that's the real root of the problem- we have to do a better job of letting players know that they are wanted and stay on them until they sign the LOI. Player development is good, but if you lack talent it's only going to take you so far. Missing out on recruits was why we were under the 85 man scholarship limit and had to play two walk-on LB's a good bit in reserve roles.

It also seems like we lack awareness at times with the recruiting situation of certain players. Hiring a certain coach on our staff completely took us right out of the Akers scene right off the bat. Had we recruited and offered Kaleem Reddix, he would have probably helped us with recruiting some of the other in state players like Jonnas Spivey helped us a couple of years ago. Which was one of Dan's highest rated classes to date with Peters and Leo. And not that I think Reddix is a SEC player but if he can help you get 3-4 other legit SEC players and make that process easier, I would definitely trade a scholarship for that.

So, to me those seem to be the two biggest issues that we have in recruiting right now in general across the board without knowing all of the inner workings and behind the scenes things. Heck our best recruiter right now is probably Chris Boniol if he indeed does flip Bulovas to go along with the Army All-American punter we have as a commit. When was the last time we've had Army All-Americans at every position group in a class ever? That's impressive.

klong-dog
01-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Malik Heath follows suit, in 3, 2, 1....

BankerDog
01-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Something is going on at Callaway. Expect Heath to decommit. He tweeted something today "Thanks to big bro and coach for opening my eyes today". Big bro was Odom. Their coach? Former MSU DL Darius Brown.

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 06:08 AM
So out of the top 10 in MS we have only 1, OM has 1, and all of the rest are going out of state. I thought Mullen's strategy was to own MS. I'm sliding back to somewhat hopeful over cautiously optimistic.

Even Rosebowl is bummed out about this one.

ETA: On the bright side ... basketball is definitely trending up. Maybe it will keep trending positive. Since Howland is the coach and his main desire is to win games, not shop for shoes or run marathons, then I believe it will keep trending up. So we have that to look forward to.

MarketingBully
01-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Basketball and baseball recruit at an elite level at MSU because those coaches see it as the lifeblood of their programs. Mullen for whatever reason has not held recruiting to that same standard and you get these results. That's why I don't follow football recruiting.

HSVDawg
01-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Can someone offer any rational for WTF is going on in our recruiting and how Louisville of all teams is coming into Mississippi and getting players we want?

Is Louisville just replacing OM as the team that buys everyone off? This doesn't make any sense or pass the smell test

I think its a combination of the OM sanctions holding them down, our DC transition costing us some previous commitments, and a generally weak in-state class that is causing lots of kids to look elsewhere.

It should be pretty obvious at this point that we are not going to sign anything close to a full class again, and will be continuing our "self-imposed probation" for the 3rd year in a row. Very disappointing.

messageboardsuperhero
01-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Absolutely zero excuse for how terrible this staff is receuiting. None of Mullen's boys (Hev, Sallach, Knox, etc.) are held responsible for their job performance. This will be two years in a row where we've signed two terrible high school classes (save for a few players). Indefensible. Every other sport on campus recruits at an elite level except football so don't give me the Starkville bullshit- because our football recruiting gets worse every year. There are people on this staff who bring absolutely nothing to the table and it is long overdue to make changes.

And all this is with UM being a non-factor in state.

msstate7
01-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Just making room for a 5* place kick holder**

99jc
01-19-2017, 07:55 AM
sheesh

Who cares really!

defiantdog
01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Who cares really!

Losing Odom means losing Heath, whos going to end up being a 5 star receiver.

Activated Alpha
01-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Weren't we told that our coaches are going to end on a strong note? Don't see that happening....

msstate7
01-19-2017, 08:19 AM
I see a bunch of spots opening up, but no one to fill them. I'm officially worried about gay... everyone, but us says lsu. South Carolina thinks they have carty. Bulovas still committed to GT. Who we gonna get? Recruiting seems to be about momentum, so if we have someone that will commit, we need it now

Irondawg
01-19-2017, 08:26 AM
What is the connection to Heath other than they go to the same school?

GreenheadDawg
01-19-2017, 08:34 AM
I see a bunch of spots opening up, but no one to fill them. I'm officially worried about gay... everyone, but us says lsu. South Carolina thinks they have carty. Bulovas still committed to GT. Who we gonna get? Recruiting seems to be about momentum, so if we have someone that will commit, we need it now

Don't worry. Delta state better keep a watchful eye on their class, Dan is coming.

Dawgface
01-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Don't worry. Delta state better keep a watchful eye on their class, Dan is coming.

Ain't that the truth. Looks like we will continue camping out at Jr Colleges to fill our needs as we did this year.

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2017, 08:46 AM
This is what happens when we let up. As soon as IYOK gets back in the green for rep our class goes to hell.

Dawgology
01-19-2017, 09:09 AM
This is sad. I feel sure that our new AD will be weighing in on this situation soon. Cohen was a recruiter. He knows what it takes to win and is much better at evaluating performance in this area than Strick was. I see a fire being lit soon.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Honestly I think the bottom line is that Mullen doesn't want to be in Starkville much longer and everyone knows it......it creates a tremendous uncertainty. Are we going to hire another Croom or Rick Ray? It scares the kids off. I'll be shocked if Mullen stays past this upcoming season as he has laid the ground-work to move to the NFL.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Unlikely, but if we don't actually land the players and they go out of state it's almost the same difference. Things like this and other recent de-commits are why I have been advocating putting a recruiting performance clause into Dan's contract.

Recruiting clause? So you are going to let people like Yancy determine our coach now? That's insane.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Honestly I think the bottom line is that Mullen doesn't want to be in Starkville much longer and everyone knows it......it creates a tremendous uncertainty. Are we going to hire another Croom or Rick Ray? It scares the kids off. I'll be shocked if Mullen stays past this upcoming season as he has laid the ground-work to move to the NFL.
I see the UM machine still has a few bullets left.

BB30
01-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Not necessarily disagreeing... but what ground work has he laid to move to the NFL? Dak? It takes more than a player to make a move to the NFL. And, I don't see him leaving 4 mil a year to go coach QBs in the NFL. He sure as hell isn't getting a head job or OC job in the NFL.

ScottH
01-19-2017, 09:30 AM
This is sad. I feel sure that our new AD will be weighing in on this situation soon. Cohen was a recruiter. He knows what it takes to win and is much better at evaluating performance in this area than Strick was. I see a fire being lit soon.

Unfortunately they are too close of friends for the heavy hand you desire.

More stern than Stricklin? Likely, but Mullen doesn't see Cohen as his boss. He sees himself as AD of football.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Something is going on at Callaway. Expect Heath to decommit. He tweeted something today "Thanks to big bro and coach for opening my eyes today". Big bro was Odom. Their coach? Former MSU DL Darius Brown.

What's Brown's beef against MSU?

Dawgology
01-19-2017, 09:34 AM

hhhhhhhhWhat? Stupid troll is stupid.

travis
01-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Not this garbage again. Mullen's problem is he doesn't lie when reporters ask him about things like NFL jobs. There's not another college coach in the country that wouldn't listen if an NFL team came calling, but insecure Mississippi State fans want Mullen to lie and say State is the best job in the country, blah blah blah blah.

Doggie_Style
Not necessarily disagreeing... but what ground work has he laid to move to the NFL? Dak? It takes more than a player to make a move to the NFL. And, I don't see him leaving 4 mil a year to go coach QBs in the NFL. He sure as hell isn't getting a head job or OC job in the NFL.

......from his own admission he is interested in the NFL. Whether he can land a job is another thing. Hell, he'd be in Miami at the U if he had won the job. That's why he fired his agent! His enthusiasm and recruiting effort has waned as his desire to bolt Starkvegas has increased.

BTW....I'm from Starkville originally and love the place.....I wish Dan did.

Dawgology
Unfortunately they are too close of friends for the heavy hand you desire.

More stern than Stricklin? Likely, but Mullen doesn't see Cohen as his boss. He sees himself as AD of football.

So, then, what will it take to shake the very foundation of our recruiting philosophy? And by "recruiting philosophy" I mean "looooooong farting sound".

Dawgology
01-19-2017, 09:38 AM
......from his own admission he is interested in the NFL. Whether he can land a job is another thing. Hell, he'd be in Miami at the U if he had won the job. That's why he fired his agent! His enthusiasm and recruiting effort has waned as his desire to bolt Starkvegas has increased.

SO his desire to get a better job offer has led him to perform worse in recruiting and on the field.... solid strategy. I'm not sure you've thought this through, main....

Really Clark?
01-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Enforcer can we get a check on the new Jan members. May not be anything but it is the season.

Bully13
01-19-2017, 10:06 AM
This flip doesn't pass the smell test. We know tsun pays players not to visit us and what not. Why is Yancey concerned with a player not going to Ole Miss ? Just to jab us in the eye since their network has crumbled?

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2017, 10:14 AM

When I read this post I knew where it belonged immiately...

http://i.imgur.com/dMDLwpg.gif

Bully13
01-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Deleted

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Sure you are.

Todd4State
01-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Recruiting clause? So you are going to let people like Yancy determine our coach now? That's insane.

It's a bonus in the contract. He gets a top 20 class he gets the bonus. If he doesn't then he doesn't get the bonus. It's not tied to whether he keeps his job or not at all.

Dawg61
01-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Sweet this is the official melt thread. Lemme contribute

https://media.giphy.com/media/L4caiF7GTkgJa/200.gif

msstate7
01-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Sweet this is the official melt thread. Lemme contribute

https://media.giphy.com/media/L4caiF7GTkgJa/200.gif

It's not limited to this thread. 95% of our fan base appears to be melting

maroonmania
01-19-2017, 10:52 AM

I'm much more worried about our HS recruiting class for this year melting. Appears to be happening right in front of our eyes. Thank heavens we got some good JUCOs and we will probably need a bunch more of them a couple of years from now.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 10:55 AM
It's a bonus in the contract. He gets a top 20 class he gets the bonus. If he doesn't then he doesn't get the bonus. It's not tied to whether he keeps his job or not at all.

That's insane. That sounds like the stupid Confederates.

Liverpooldawg
01-19-2017, 10:56 AM

No, some prolific internet posters, some of whom are most assuredly NOT MSU people, are melting on the internet.

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm much more worried about our HS recruiting class for this year melting. Appears to be happening right in front of our eyes. Thank heavens we got some good JUCOs and we will probably need a bunch more of them a couple of years from now.

Maybe that is Dan's new recruiting strategy.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Sure you are.

Yea, I am.....saw Lynard Skynard play in the old gym (which was being used at the time for BB) in '74. We used to get some old guy hanging around the liquor store to buy us some cheap wine cuz there was no beer unless you drove out tt the cross-roads or John's grocery at the end of old West-point road...yea, I from there

Bothrops
01-19-2017, 12:25 PM
I don't think Mullen would have recruited Keytaon for so long, if he was planning to leave MSU.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 01:15 PM
I don't think Mullen would have recruited Keytaon for so long, if he was planning to leave MSU.

Until I see something different I believe Mullen's lack of enthusiasm is tied to a desire to do something different (as in leave MSU). Of course we have made that difficult with the $4+ Mill/yr and I and many others believe he planned to leave as the program peaked Dak's senior year.....he couldn't get the deal at Miami, fired his agent and is now stuck with mediocre talent due to lazy recruiting. When Dan came here he had fire in the belly and worked his ass off.....it paid off but his focus changed and he's dug himself a hole. I want the Dan that created the TSUN thread not the one wearing shorts on the sideline as So. Alabama kicks our ass!

BossDawg
01-19-2017, 01:34 PM
What's Brown's beef against MSU?

That's what I'd like to know. It pisses me off to see a former player sabotaging his own school, if that is indeed what he's doing.

BossDawg
01-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Yea, I am.....saw Lynard Skynard play in the old gym (which was being used at the time for BB) in '74. We used to get some old guy hanging around the liquor store to buy us some cheap wine cuz there was no beer unless you drove out tt the cross-roads or John's grocery at the end of old West-point road...yea, I from there

Well, there it is. Proof that he's from Starkville.

GTHOM
01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
I see the UM machine still has a few bullets left.

I was thinking the same thing. That one is too easy for them to use