PDA

View Full Version : Starkville Bashing on SECN

Apoplectic
01-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Museums not found in Starkville. Basically no culture then snicker snicker by crew. This crew will be in town next Wednesday.

travis
01-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Museums not found in Starkville. Basically no culture then snicker snicker by crew. This crew will be in town next Wednesday.

Joke's on them:
http://www.visit.msstate.edu/clockmuseum/

Mjoelner34
01-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Here is a museum for them that not many people in Starkville know about.

http://www.starkvillecivilwararsenal.com/

msstate7
01-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Watching the game also. They did have an interesting stat though... South Carolina avgs over 12,000 for men and women's games. That's impressive

Bully13
01-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Espn has that Ole Miss dude running something up there, no?

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 08:47 PM
I bet most Starkville people don't even know about the clock museum.

IMissJack
01-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Watching the game also. They did have an interesting stat though... South Carolina avgs over 12,000 for men and women's games. That's impressive

It's impressive, but considering the county Columbia is in has a population of nearly 400K and Oktibbeha County has about 50K, what's more impressive is the crowds MSU can have when we are winning.

RocketDawg
01-18-2017, 08:51 PM

I've been there but had forgotten about it. Pretty neat place.

Isn't there also another museum of anthropology or archaeology somewhere on campus? I seem to remember visiting there some years ago. Maybe it's part of the clock museum.

BeardoMSU
01-18-2017, 08:54 PM

Isn't there also another museum of anthropology or archaeology somewhere on campus? I seem to remember visiting there some years ago. Maybe it's part of the clock museum.

Yes, it's in the basement of the Cobb Institute of Archaeology. Across the street we also have the Dunn-Seiler Paleontology Museum, on the 1st floor of the Dept. of Geosciences.

TheRef
01-18-2017, 08:54 PM

You have the Entemology Museum on campus. Behind Sorority Row.

IMissJack
01-18-2017, 08:57 PM
U.S. Grant Presidential Library in the Mitchell Memorial Library is somewhat of a museum.

BeardoMSU
01-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Yep, in the Clay Lyle Building...which is also home to one of the best analytical microscopy centers in the Southeast.

http://www.i2at.msstate.edu/

RocketDawg
01-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Maybe this thread should be sent to the SEC Network talking heads.

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 09:27 PM
They could make a museum with all the different aircraft that have been fabricated and tested at Raspet Research Lab over the years. Some pretty cutting edge stuff has come out there.

LC Dawg
01-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Why were they talking about Starkville? Did they just start trashing us out of the blue?

CottonDog
01-18-2017, 09:28 PM

As someone with a Master's in Entomology from State, I can confirm. Surprised y'all knew about that one, tbh.

TheRef
01-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Why were they talking about Starkville? Did they just start trashing us out of the blue?

South Carolina women play MSU next weekend in Columbia.

msstate7
01-18-2017, 09:29 PM

They were trashing Hev**

SecN coming here next week for Missouri game

TheRef
01-18-2017, 09:30 PM
As someone with a Master's in Entomology from State, I can confirm. Surprised y'all knew about that one, tbh.

Mother was born and raised on campus, back when some professors lived on the South side of campus. Grandfather was a staff member for the VP back when the Wise Center was built and cranked up. I can tell you some surprising stuff about just about any nook and cranny there.

CottonDog
01-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Mother was born and raised on campus, back when some professors lived on the South side of campus. Grandfather was a staff member for the VP back when the Wise Center was built and cranked up. I can tell you some surprising stuff about just about any nook and cranny there.

Nice. I can remember being a freshmen and telling people I worked for the state entomologist out at the North Farm...and man that would get some blank stares haha

BeardoMSU
01-18-2017, 09:36 PM

I did a ton of SEM work in the building, is how I know about it.

Also, something I found ****ing awesome the first time I toured the place....the guy who does all the zoological illustrations has all his insect sketches up on his office walls (really cool to see), along with an original, 'mint', Joker poster...Love it.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/38118/4af782fe6c19b_38118b.jpg

Mjoelner34
01-18-2017, 09:38 PM
They could make a museum with all the different aircraft that have been fabricated and tested at Raspet Research Lab over the years. Some pretty cutting edge stuff has come out there.

Unfortunately 2 of the strangest, if not THE 2 strangest aren't there anymore. The Marvel http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AN/AN85-11/16-4.jpg is in a museum in Birmingham and the Honda Jet https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Honda_MH02.gifbuilt as a test-bed was sent to Japan. It's probably in a museum at the Honda headquarters.

lastmajordog
01-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Not as impressive but MSU had a Oenology major (wine) in the EARLY 70’s....long before the rest of the country learned to swish the wine and sniff the flavor.....

TheRef
01-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Nice. I can remember being a freshmen and telling people I worked for the state entomologist out at the North Farm...and man that would get some blank stares haha

I had a couple of buddies work with the Entemologist out in Stoneville at the Delta Research and Extension Center for MSU.

TheRef
01-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Not as impressive but MSU had a Oenology major (wine) in the EARLY 70’s....long before the rest of the country learned to swish the wine and sniff the flavor.....

Yupp. Every 4 years, I believe, there is a wine tasting course offered that is HARD AS HELL to find. You have to know the right people to get into that class. Also have to have a permanent DD.

gravedigger
01-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Cobb institute.

And if Starkville is a burdensome you, oh well. Those of us lucky enough to have been raised and educated here know a truth. You can keep your town. I wouldn't choose anywhere else.

Ya'll come and see us when you can.

RocketDawg
01-18-2017, 09:56 PM
I guess technically, none of the museums mentioned is in Starkville.

RocketDawg
01-18-2017, 09:58 PM

Are you sure it was in the early 70s? Were't all forms of alcohol except beer illegal statewide then?

gravedigger
01-18-2017, 09:59 PM
I guess technically, none of the museums mentioned is in Starkville.

And literally, they weren't only talking about the city limits of Starkville.

Joe Schmedlap
01-18-2017, 10:05 PM
I had a couple of buddies work with the Entemologist out in Stoneville at the Delta Research and Extension Center for MSU.

Don't know who the "state entomologist" was, but knew a Dr Laster there along with one of the USDA guys at Stoneville.

lastmajordog
01-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Are you sure it was in the early 70s? Were't all forms of alcohol except beer illegal statewide then?

Ilm almost positive....maybe memory fails me

http://winemakingschool.net/tag/viticulture-and-enology-in-mississippi-state-ms

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately 2 of the strangest, if not THE 2 strangest aren't there anymore. The Marvel http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AN/AN85-11/16-4.jpg is in a museum in Birmingham and the Honda Jet https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Honda_MH02.gifbuilt as a test-bed was sent to Japan. It's probably in a museum at the Honda headquarters.

That's a damn shame. The original Hondajet prototype (which was built at MSU) was the first all composite jet ever flown, if I'm not mistaken. Honda took what they learned at MSU, and are now making the Hondajet busines jet at the Greensboro, NC factory.

GTHOM
01-18-2017, 10:39 PM

Hard to get excited about a clock museum

Bully13
01-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Lol...hafta agree

LC Dawg
01-18-2017, 10:46 PM
http://http://oktibbehaheritagemuseum.com/wordpress/ (http://oktibbehaheritagemuseum.com/wordpress/)

BrunswickDawg
01-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Yupp. Every 4 years, I believe, there is a wine tasting course offered that is HARD AS HELL to find. You have to know the right people to get into that class. Also have to have a permanent DD.
I got into that class in my final semester in '94. My advisor told me I hit the lottery. Also told me I had one if the best schedules he had ever seen - a history class, a philosophy class, an archeology class, wine appreciation, and golf.

Mjoelner34
01-18-2017, 10:50 PM
That's a damn shame. The original Hondajet prototype (which was built at MSU) was the first all composite jet ever flown, if I'm not mistaken. Honda took what they learned at MSU, and are now making the Hondajet busines jet at the Greensboro, NC factory.

I got to help build parts and assemble it when I was a student worker out there.

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 10:50 PM

Not if you like history, mechanical engineering, antiques, or grandfather clocks.

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
I got to help build parts and assemble it when I was a student worker out there.

That's awesome. That was ambitious project that came to fruition.

DCdawg
01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
U.S. Grant Presidential Library in the Mitchell Memorial Library is somewhat of a museum.

One of only a handful in the country if I'm not mistaken.

gravedigger
01-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Lol...hafta agree

Guessing engineering wasn't yalls major

Reason2succeed
01-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Students should chant "We Have Mu-seums."( clap clap- clap clap)***

That will set them straight.Or maybe just get them a list of museums to make the m apologize on the air.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Thought I would type in "Entomology" in google and see if the MSU Dept. of Entomology and Plant Pathology would show up. Well, on page 1 of the google search TX A&M's Department showed up. Over the next 8 pages a dozen universities showed up. MSU didn't appear until page 10. Maybe not a big deal or it may be a symptom of poor PR work for the university. Like the museum thing.

MarketingBully
01-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Considering the place holds 18,000, it's not that impressive.

dawgs
01-18-2017, 11:56 PM

::researches museums in other sec towns::

Seriously, outside of Nashville, what sec towns have high culture museums?

GTHOM
01-19-2017, 02:30 AM
Hate to tell y'all but 18-22 year olds give 2 shits about museums

msbulldog
01-19-2017, 06:48 AM

Would that be Dr. Clyde Sartor, I checked cotton with 1 time?

Crucifictorious
01-19-2017, 01:48 PM

A new museum is being built for the grant library right now. That's what the Library construction is for. The little exhibit space downstairs is just to show some things off until the Museum opens.

There are a bunch of museums on campus BTW: http://www.msstate.edu/visitors/galleries-and-museums/

Jack Lambert
01-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Maybe one of the students should show them the Presidential Library. How many college campus's have one?

Saltydog
01-19-2017, 05:25 PM
south that has a statue of the youngest Confederate general in the Civil War (Stephen D. Lee)? Always found that somewhat ironic. Is there some connection between Grant and Starkville?

RocketDawg
01-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Maybe one of the students should show them the Presidential Library. How many college campus's have one?

Don't know, but Texas A&M has the library for the first Bush. It's pretty elaborate. Not sure if Clinton's is at U. Ark or somewhere else.

BeardoMSU
01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
sIs there some connection between Grant and Starkville?

Just another jab at our insurrection loving neighbors to the north***

NELA Dawg
01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Would that be Dr. Clyde Sartor, I checked cotton with 1 time?

OK, We may need to talk. PM me if you want to.

TheRef
01-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Don't know, but Texas A&M has the library for the first Bush. It's pretty elaborate. Not sure if Clinton's is at U. Ark or somewhere else.

Clinton's is in Little Rock.

dawgwhisperer
01-19-2017, 06:14 PM
It's impressive, but considering the county Columbia is in has a population of nearly 400K and Oktibbeha County has about 50K, what's more impressive is the crowds MSU can have when we are winning.

You must be including students and most of West Point......

CottonDog
01-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Thought I would type in "Entomology" in google and see if the MSU Dept. of Entomology and Plant Pathology would show up. Well, on page 1 of the google search TX A&M's Department showed up. Over the next 8 pages a dozen universities showed up. MSU didn't appear until page 10. Maybe not a big deal or it may be a symptom of poor PR work for the university. Like the museum thing.

Yeah. A&M has a little bigger department. Our's is small outside of the "applied" entomology (i.e. Row crop entomology). Maybe one day I'll hit it big and can donate some money to the whole department. Haha

RocketDawg
01-19-2017, 06:22 PM
You must be including students and most of West Point......

According to census.gov, the 2015 estimated populations for Oktibehha County was 49,800 ... pretty close to 50K. Not very large, but not tiny either. The actual population in 2010 was 47,671.

RougeDawg
01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Clinton's is in Little Rock.

With a mistress penthouse on top floor, for Bill to work on his historical probing.

TheRef
01-19-2017, 06:29 PM
With a mistress penthouse on top floor, for Bill to work on his historical probing.

"probing"

http://www.fukarf.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/moving-wall-of-dildos.gif

Jack Lambert
01-19-2017, 07:06 PM
south that has a statue of the youngest Confederate general in the Civil War (Stephen D. Lee)? Always found that somewhat ironic. Is there some connection between Grant and Starkville?

Grant and Lee were fought against each other after the fall of Vicksburg. They became good friends after the war. Also Lee founded Vicksburg Military park.

IMissJack
01-19-2017, 07:41 PM

I believe Dr. John Marsalek (spelling?), MSU professor, or used to be, has written Civil War books and is an expert. He was offered the chance to get the collection and MSU went for it and got it.

edited to add link:

http://www.msufoundation.com/s/811/foundation/interior.aspx?sid=811&gid=1&pgid=1473&cid=5063&ecid=5063&crid=0&calpgid=1453&calcid=5038

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Grant and Lee were fought against each other after the fall of Vicksburg. They became good friends after the war. Also Lee founded Vicksburg Military park.

Are you sure about all of this Jack? I ain't too sure about it myself. I've studied a good bit on it too. Got a library on the Civil War in my house. Not saying I know everything about it tho.

If you could point me to where you found these things out, I sure would be interested in reading about it. Seriously ... not mocking you or anything like that.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 08:12 PM

It is actually quite bizarre that his library is at State, the South lost the war and now is obliged to accsept the trappings of the conquerer...Grant retired to his farm outside of St. Louis, his stuff would be more appropriately located there....there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons

BeardoMSU
01-19-2017, 08:28 PM
It is actually quite bizarre that his library is at State, the South lost the war and now is obliged to accsept the trappings of the conquerer...Grant retired to his farm outside of St. Louis, his stuff would be more appropriately located there....there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons

Sorry your side lost, lol.

BeardoMSU
01-19-2017, 08:30 PM
there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons

Of all the military/historical figures to honor on the campus of MSU, he's not one of them....and you can't blame everything on "PC".

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Of all the military/historical figures to honor on the campus of MSU, he's not one of them....and you can't blame everything on "PC".

You,obviously, have a right to your opinion, as I do

Crucifictorious
01-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Jack is close. Stephen D. Lee and Grant's oldest son Fred became good friends and worked together to found and preserve the Vicksburg Battlefield.

Crucifictorious
01-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Grant didn't retire to his farm in St. Louis. He moved to New York City and died in the mountains in upstate New York.

MagicDawg
01-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Why do we have the Grant library? One word: Marszalek.

With that and Google, you will discover yet another reason that Mississippi State stands above others not only in the state and region, but nationally.

dawgday166
01-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Jack is close. Stephen D. Lee and Grant's oldest son Fred became good friends and worked together to found and preserve the Vicksburg Battlefield.

I didn't know that but was pretty sure it was not RE Lee and Grant. Thanks.

Doggie_Style
01-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Grant didn't retire to his farm in St. Louis. He moved to New York City and died in the mountains in upstate New York.

You are correct....I recently visited his pathetic farm outside St. Louis...he was a parhetuc human who was once a slave owner which you cannot say about the vast majority of soldiers who fought for the south...he has no place at MSU

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Why do we have the Grant library? One word: Marszalek.

With that and Google, you will discover yet another reason that Mississippi State stands above others not only in the state and region, but nationally.
Marszalek was great. His Civil War class was interesting because he spent a great deal of time on the Western Theatre of the war. Nice change from the typical focus on Virginia. Having grown up with Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield as my backyard, I thought I knew a lot. He showed me I didn't.

BeardoMSU
01-20-2017, 12:15 AM
You are correct....I recently visited his pathetic farm outside St. Louis...he was a parhetuc human who was once a slave owner which you cannot say about the vast majority of soldiers who fought for the south...he has no place at MSU

Ah, but Ole Nate does? Geez....

Are you trolling or what, dude?

Crucifictorious
01-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Bless your heart. Yes he was a slave owner but he freed the one slave he owned two years before the Civil War started. And while many soldiers weren't slave owners nearly every southern officer was. And that pathetic human whipped Bobby Lee's ass.

Reason2succeed
01-20-2017, 07:30 AM

"Your sheets a'cleaned and pressed suh!"***

http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/pics/kkk_hood.jpg

Mjoelner34
01-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Ah, but Ole Nate does? Geez....

Are you trolling or what, dude?

Well, 'Ole Nate' was actually headquartered in Starkville before the Battle of Ellis Bridge (Battle of West Point). Grant never came through here.