PDA

View Full Version : 2018 OL Commit

starkvegasdawg
01-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Kwatrivous Johnson 6'9" 345lbs from my alma mater Greenwood High School.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/2018-OL-Kwatrivous-Johnson-talks-Mississippi-State-decision-50635080?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170118_120953_Mississippi%20State%20B ulldogs&utm_content=Link

We show as his only offer at the moment.

messageboardsuperhero
01-18-2017, 01:29 PM
It's tough to beat 6'9" and 350 pounds.

Todd4State
01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Great pick up for us! Good job Hevesy.

msbulldog
01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Does he play basketball?

Todd4State
01-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Does he play basketball?

For his high school team.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
For his high school team.

At 6'9 350 he is the high school

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 01:38 PM
It's tough to beat 6'9" and 350 pounds.

Size is only part of the equation. Gotta be able to move. Big, fat, slow guys who can't move their feet aren't huge assets.

Bodawg
01-18-2017, 01:39 PM
According to Rosebowl, he's the top offense lineman in the state for 2018.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Looks like Mullen is sick of hearing the Hevesy complaints and told them to run this story now instead of waiting

"I just love the environment there and the facilities and the coaching staff," added Johnson. "Coach (John) Hevesy is a great coach and I love the way he treats his guys. He treats them like they are his own sons and I can't wait to play for him. He is going to be a great coach to play for and he makes sure his guys get better every day. He is a big reason why I wanted to play for Mississippi State."

Mjoelner34
01-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Size is only part of the equation. Gotta be able to move. Big, fat, slow guys who can't move their feet aren't huge assets.

If he can't move, how much too tall is he for the zero technique in the 3-4? He's got the right mass.

msstate7
01-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Looks like Mullen is sick of hearing the Hevesy complaints and told them to run this story now instead of waiting

"I just love the environment there and the facilities and the coaching staff," added Johnson. "Coach (John) Hevesy is a great coach and I love the way he treats his guys. He treats them like they are his own sons and I can't wait to play for him. He is going to be a great coach to play for and he makes sure his guys get better every day. He is a big reason why I wanted to play for Mississippi State."
Who's pretending to be Hev on the phone? Haha

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 01:44 PM
According to Rosebowl, he's the top offense lineman in the state for 2018.

Maybe he is ... and maybe that ain't saying much. Mississippi isn't a great producer of OL talent. Rosebowl IMO evaluates talent well maybe 60 to at best 70 percent of the time. He has some deeply tinted maroon glasses.

I don't know anything about the kid but we need some guys that can move. You don't block Bama DLs or LBs if you can't move. In late 90's Denver won a SB with an OL that averaged under 300 lbs.

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 01:46 PM
If he can't move, how much too tall is he for the zero technique in the 3-4? He's got the right mass.

He's too tall ... easily loses the leverage battle IMO. But there's a lot of mass there so I'm not positive about that one. Don't believe I've ever seen a 0 tech that tall tho.

msstate7
01-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Maybe he is ... and maybe that ain't saying much. Mississippi isn't a great producer of OL talent. Rosebowl IMO evaluates talent well maybe 60 to at best 70 percent of the time. He has some deeply tinted maroon glasses.

I don't know anything about the kid but we need some guys that can move. You don't block Bama DLs or LBs if you can't move. In late 90's Denver won a SB with an OL that averaged under 300 lbs.

Using our blocking system... makes you wonder why we do more of the stretch runs that the rb makes one cut and goes

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Who's pretending to be Hev on the phone? Haha

Hevesy Catfish

http://cdn2-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/gallery/meet-your-new-favorite-woman-on-the-internet-jessica-davies/11378512_469147653267249_821936086_n.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Kid is an OL all the way & he does move well for his size. He's also down to around 340lbs. I feel pretty confident in saying he'll eventually play around 320-330lbs for his career.

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Using our blocking system... makes you wonder why we do more of the stretch runs that the rb makes one cut and goes

Those work ok and at times well against slower teams ... if I understand correctly what you're saying.

I don't expect ever to block Bama great ... but that is the standard we should be trying to get close to IMO.

My main problem with OL recruiting is this: We get kids within close proximity of Starkville primarily. When we get someone from a distance away, it's TBuck that goes and finds them. That gives me a perception that may or may not be accurate ... not sure. I also know when getting Bones from Rosebowl over the years, our primary in house visits push toward the end of Jan is usually with LBs, DLs, RBs, DBs, etc. Seems very few OLinemen are ever being aggressively pursued at the end ... hence we're almost always going to our plan Bs or Cs or Ds .. the late get guys since "all the others just didn't work out".

Westdawg
01-18-2017, 02:00 PM
He's too tall ... easily loses the leverage battle IMO. But there's a lot of mass there so I'm not positive about that one. Don't believe I've ever seen a 0 tech that tall tho.

Big Terrence Cody for Bama was about 6'7" if I remember correctly.

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Kid is an OL all the way & he does move well for his size. He's also down to around 340lbs. I feel pretty confident in saying he'll eventually play around 320-330lbs for his career.

Ok ... cool. I'm a believer now.

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:03 PM

I thought of him and seemed to recall he was pretty tall. He did the job extremely well.

fader2103
01-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Haha we get a commit from a huge OL and instead of saying good job for Hev. It's they guy must be to slow, horrible footwork, and is to tall. Gotta complain about something always

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Haha we get a commit from a huge OL and instead of saying good job for Hev. It's they guy must be to slow, horrible footwork, and is to tall. Gotta complain about something always

When we having problems with trap blocking and D ends blowing past us ... then yea that needs to be addressed.

Sometimes folks deserve a pat on the back ... sometimes they need a kick in the arse.

ETA: I'm not an OLine recruiting guru by any stretch, but I'd almost rather have a 6'6, 280 guy that can fly and can grow into a large frame.

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
nm

msudawglb
01-18-2017, 02:20 PM
When we having problems with trap blocking and D ends blowing past us ... then yea that needs to be addressed.

Sometimes folks deserve a pat on the back ... sometimes they need a kick in the arse.

ETA: I'm not an OLine recruiting guru by any stretch, but I'd almost rather have a 6'6, 280 guy that can fly and can grow into a large frame.

I can almost guarantee that this kid who is 6'9" now was indeed 6'6" at one point in his life....***

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Oh ok so he will flip a month a from signing day next year...gotcha***

Commercecomet24
01-18-2017, 02:25 PM

This can't be true! All the recruits hate Hevesy lol

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Question IYOK: Seems like with that length (although I don't know what his wing span is) he'd only project at tackle, and then I would think primarily at LT?

BB30
01-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Since there are so many 6'6" 280 pounders that can "fly"***

Have you seen the kid play? Do you have first hand knowledge that he is slow, un-athletic, and has horrible feet or are you just assuming because we have an early OL commit and you dislike Hev that he couldn't possibly be any good?

dawgday166
01-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Since there are so many 6'6" 280 pounders that can "fly"***

Well ... you probably have a point there. I just recall that OSU's Oline was on the lighter side when they won the Natty 3 years ago. There center was 290. And they blocked Bama.

The reason I posted what I did is everyone gets caught up in size. Bert's Oline's over at Arky are usually good at run blocking, but struggle some in pass pro. A real quick D line gives them fits. They be huge tho.

BB30
01-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Well ... you probably have a point there. I just recall that OSU's Oline was on the lighter side when they won the Natty 3 years ago. There center was 290. And they blocked Bama.

The reason I posted what I did is everyone gets caught up in size. Bert's Oline's over at Arky are usually good at run blocking, but struggle some in pass pro. A real quick D line gives them fits. They be huge tho.

Their RT was 6'6" 315 and their LT was 6'7" 320, C was 6'3" 300, and guards were in the 6'3-6'5 300-320 pound range. All pretty good sized kids. Most centers on every team are smaller. That is OSU's national champ line btw not ark.

Bothrops
01-18-2017, 06:22 PM
If his recruitment blows up we'll have a 40-50% chance then, I'm sure.

blacklistedbully
01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-ol-kwatrivous-johnson-talks-mississippi-state-decision/

Johnson played left tackle for Greenwood this past season and it was his first season at Greenwood. He started his prep career at Delta Streets Academy before transferring to Greenwood High School last year.
He noted that the Bulldogs are also recruiting him to play tackle.
"They like me as an offensive tackle and I can't wait to play that position for them," said Johnson. "I love to play the blind side and protect the quarterback. When I am at that spot, nobody is getting through to hit my quarterback."

Another factor for picking Mississippi State, added Johnson, was to stay in his home state for the college level.
"I've been wanting to commit to Mississippi State since I was little," said Johnson. "And now I am glad I have the opportunity to do that. I want to represent my home state and represent where I come from. I am Mississippi-raised so I want to play for Mississippi State and be a Bulldog."
His head coach noted of his play this past season and was very happy when Johnson transferred to Greenwood High School last year.
"You've got a guy that is 6-foot-9 and 350 pounds that runs like a linebacker," said Gatewood. "He is an awesome player and we were very excited to get him this past season. He anchored our offensive line and we had a back that rushed for nearly 2,000 yards. Everyone that sees his film can see how big he is. But he has a lot to prove to people and why he has a chip on his shoulder. He is able to get to that second level and pancake everyone."
Gatewood added that Johnson told him that he was ready to get his recruitment out of the way sooner than later.
"He is a big kid that wants to earn his respect and fight for his state," said Gatewood. "He's always wanted to be a Bulldog and that's where his heart is at. He wanted to get his commitment out of the way so he could focus on his academics and his future at Mississippi State."

Dawgtini
01-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Hail State!

IMissJack
01-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Does he play basketball?

Are you recruiting another big for the Lady Rebs?**

starkvegasdawg
01-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Are you recruiting another big for the Lady Rebs?**

Too small for them.

louisvilledawg
01-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Nah, he was 6'4" ish.

Speaking of Cody, completely forgot that he is now in prison for animal cruelty charges. Dude is a POS