PDA

View Full Version : Did Holman throw the ball at Fox's head last night?

Dawgology
01-18-2017, 10:08 AM
I missed the game due to prior family commitments but tracked via stats and have watched some highlights (mostly ESPN Kentucky love). One of the sports guys mentioned Holman throwing the ball at Fox's head because he was angry? What happened, exactly?

Big4Dawg
01-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Yeah. Frustration foul. He fouled him and then tossed the ball at his head. It wasn't very hard but still can't do it.

smootness
01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
He did. He didn't seem overly angry, he was probably just frustrated and annoyed, and he just tossed it off his head. As Big4 said, it wasn't hard and he seemed to do it quickly to try to get away with it, and he almost did. But it hurt us, directly cost us 3 points. Without that, it's a much tighter game down the stretch.

maroonmania
01-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Yeah. Frustration foul. He fouled him and then tossed the ball at his head. It wasn't very hard but still can't do it.

Maybe I'm the only one that thought this, and its still a stupid thing to do, but Holman to me really didn't look mad or frustrated. To me it looked like he was stepping backward out of bounds and instinctively tried to throw the ball off an opposing player since it all happened around the same time as there was the whistle for the foul. I think it was just unfortunate that it hit the guy in the head but I didn't get the feeling from Holman's actions that he was really trying to bean the guy in the head. I had no problem with the technical foul call though.

fishwater99
01-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Stupid play.. Howland was pissed..

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Howland was pissed

Good he is a much better coach that way

smootness
01-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Maybe I'm the only one that thought this, and its still a stupid thing to do, but Holman to me really didn't look mad or frustrated. To me it looked like he was stepping backward out of bounds and instinctively tried to throw the ball off an opposing player since it all happened around the same time as there was the whistle for the foul. I think it was just unfortunate that it hit the guy in the head but I didn't get the feeling from Holman's actions that he was really trying to bean the guy in the head. I had no problem with the technical foul call though.

He was definitely tossing it at Fox. The whistle had blown, and he clearly wasn't making a basketball play. He wasn't even looking at Fox because he was trying to get away with it, but he definitely tossed it at him on purpose. Really no other way to read it.

maroonmania
01-18-2017, 11:47 AM
He was definitely tossing it at Fox. The whistle had blown, and he clearly wasn't making a basketball play. He wasn't even looking at Fox because he was trying to get away with it, but he definitely tossed it at him on purpose. Really no other way to read it.

I don't think anyone is questioning that it was done on purpose. But balls are thrown at opposing players all the time on plays where folks are going out of bounds. Not normally at the head though. Either way, the technical was the correct call.

KentuckyDawg13
01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
^^ This.
Totally agree. Holman didn't intentionally do that, he thought the play was continuing and a natural instinct is to throw the ball off of an opposing player. It was a dumb move, but Holman wasn't trying to hurt the dude. Hindsight, he should have busted that melon.

smootness
01-18-2017, 11:52 AM
^^ This.
Totally agree. Holman didn't intentionally do that, he thought the play was continuing and a natural instinct is to throw the ball off of an opposing player. It was a dumb move, but Holman wasn't trying to hurt the dude. Hindsight, he should have busted that melon.

He clearly was just throwing it at him to throw it at him. That is not the motion a player makes when he's trying to throw it off a player to go out of bounds, and he didn't react at all when it hit his head. He did what he intended to do.

Howland's reaction alone should tell you what his intent was.

tcdog70
01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
when the Cats were up big they were talking $hit big time. Our Young Kids couldn't keep their Composure. that plus some stupid ass fouls called by Teddy and his blind Buddies. I blame a lot of that on the Refs.

maroonmania
01-18-2017, 11:57 AM
He clearly was just throwing it at him to throw it at him. That is not the motion a player makes when he's trying to throw it off a player to go out of bounds, and he didn't react at all when it hit his head. He did what he intended to do.

Howland's reaction alone should tell you what his intent was.

OK, if it all that was so clear then, as KentuckyDawg13 said, he should have thrown it much harder and gotten his money's worth.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2017, 11:58 AM
It was harmless but definitely intentional. The tech was deserved.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2017, 12:01 PM
It was harmless but definitely intentional. The tech was deserved.

Off topic, but we have to get X more minutes. He was dying to go back in last night. I love what he brings to the floor. Our best 5 is: Peters, Q, X, Keglar, and Holman. Those are our best 5 players.

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:04 PM
OK, if it all that was so clear then, as KentuckyDawg13 said, he should have thrown it much harder and gotten his money's worth.

Again, he was clearly trying to get away with it, and he almost did.

Big4Dawg
01-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Off topic, but we have to get X more minutes. He was dying to go back in last night. I love what he brings to the floor. Our best 5 is: Peters, Q, X, Keglar, and Holman. Those are our best 5 players.

No Heard? He has been playing much better. And the said last night that X can only player 4-5 minutes at at time. Also, the last 2 games he has been in foul trouble.

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:10 PM

He's on a minutes restriction, according to the announcers last night. No more than 20 mpg right now.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2017, 12:11 PM
No Heard? He has been playing much better. And the said last night that X can only player 4-5 minutes at at time. Also, the last 2 games he has been in foul trouble.

I like Herard, I think he's our 6th guy. I just can't get over Ready's line last night. 29 minutes, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 1 assist, and only 4 points-2 of which were the technical free throws. I just have to think some of those minutes could have gone to Eli or maybe a few more for X.

I wish we had the +/- chart because it felt to me that we outplayed UK by 6-8 points when he was on the bench.

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:11 PM
I think our best 5 is clearly Peters, Q, Kegler/Stapleton (depending on how Kegler is playing that night), Holman, and Herard.

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Ready, while not a great man-to-man defender himself, seems to be a catalyst for our defense, and even when he doesn't steal it himself, he seems to knock the ball loose pretty often and start fastbreaks. Our ability to create turnovers just seems to go up when he's in.

I would love to get Wright and Carter more involved, but Ready's been more productive than them on average.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 12:23 PM
We are a much better team when Kegler is playing the 3 not the 4. Holman & Herard need to both be starting. Stapleton is best coming off the bench this year. He provides a spark defensively and can get some easy cheap baskets but he isn't a good enough shooter to be starting rn and he's not 100% and won't be till next year.

notsofarawaydawg
01-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Weatherspoon's technical - see story (http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=55634)

louisvilledawg
01-18-2017, 12:32 PM
We are a much better team when Kegler is playing the 3 not the 4. Holman & Herard need to both be starting. Stapleton is best coming off the bench this year. He provides a spark defensively and can get some easy cheap baskets but he isn't a good enough shooter to be starting rn and he's not 100% and won't be till next year.

He (Stapletone) reminds me of that guy from Grenada a few years back that was high energy all the time that basically got starters minutes from off the bench. Think his name was Phil Turner.

That dude was a one man full court press 24/7

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Phil Turner is one of my favorite State players ever. I still don't know the full story behind what happened before his last year, but I hated the outcome.

archdog
01-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Should have thrown it harder.

smootness
01-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Weatherspoon's technical - see story (http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=55634)

We almost certainly still lose if they just call the tech on Briscoe, but not having the extra FTs and losing Weatherspoon there ended the game, and it was stupid to call offsetting techs. Briscoe clearly shoved Weatherspoon, it was the only clear technical in that sequence, but they opted for the old cop-out offsetting penalties that hurt us.

And I love Calipari trying to complain about the refs not calling things both ways in that article. The refs were atrocious, and they weren't really biased in UK's favor, but they certainly weren't biased in our favor. Goodness.

msstate7
01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Definitely think herard is one of our best players. He's coming on really strong. Last 2 games...

35 mins 23 points 7-12 FTs

He has to learn to play without fouling so he can play more and hit his FTs bc teams can't handle him down low. Oh and aTm and Kentucky were the teams that couldn't handle down low and they have some of the best bigs in the conference

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that thought this, and its still a stupid thing to do, but Holman to me really didn't look mad or frustrated. To me it looked like he was stepping backward out of bounds and instinctively tried to throw the ball off an opposing player since it all happened around the same time as there was the whistle for the foul. I think it was just unfortunate that it hit the guy in the head but I didn't get the feeling from Holman's actions that he was really trying to bean the guy in the head. .

No, you are not alone. I thought he was attempting to spike the ball off the guy. Then the whistle and he stopped in mid-spike as best he could. It wasn't a reaching back, "F**** You" throwing the ball at him. You could tell by his demeanor it wasn't done in anger. It was another over reaching call by the Refs last night.

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2017, 03:03 PM

Weatherspoon gave Fox a little forearm shove.....after Fox walked up shoulder to shoulder talking smack. Fox was running his mouth on multiple occassions. Fox is an instigator. The refs needs to recognize that.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2017, 03:36 PM
No, you are not alone. I thought he was attempting to spike the ball off the guy. Then the whistle and he stopped in mid-spike as best he could. It wasn't a reaching back, "F**** You" throwing the ball at him. You could tell by his demeanor it wasn't done in anger. It was another over reaching call by the Refs last night.

Being there watching when it happened he did it on purpose. It wasn't in anger more frustration on being called for the foul. That's why it was so soft it was more a reaction to the foul than trying to take his head off. The refs sucked last night but you had to call a T on Aric.