PDA

View Full Version : Calipari & SEC Officials

HaggardDawg
01-18-2017, 07:15 AM
Disclaimer: I am not by any stretch of the imagination very knowledgeable when it comes to basketball. I know a little, not a lot.

i did notice something last night at the Hump that kind of bothered me. But I could be wrong so let me know. There were at least 3 times we committed a questionable foul when we were on our end of the court in both halves. Howland calls a timeout or it's a media timeout and he walks out to the middle of the floor obviously trying to get an officials attention for an explanation but also to conference with his assistants. The refs would bolt to the other end of the floor and basically ignore Howland.

Calipari would get an explanation after every call against UK. If after the ball was inbounded, the official would talk with Cal as he made his way to the other end of the floor. If a timeout was called after the foul, Calipari would get an explanation from the officials and if he was too busy talking to his team, one of his assistants would approach the official for an explanation. This happened alot last night. My wife even noticed it and she knows nothing about basketball. I may need to take off the tinfoil but it sure seemed obvious to me that Valentine and crew were partial towards Calipari.

KentuckyDawg13
01-18-2017, 07:26 AM
SEC refs have favored EVERYTHING re UK basketball since the beginning of time.
To beat UK, you have to beat the refs too. Just like bama football.
We will get a chance to play them again, SEC Tourney.

MarketingBully
01-18-2017, 07:55 AM
The refs have called 144 fouls in the last 120 minutes of games of Kentucky's games (the last 3 games) with most of those fouls called to help Kentucky. Those are facts.

BrunswickDawg
01-18-2017, 08:31 AM
SEC refs have favored EVERYTHING re UK basketball since the beginning of time.
To beat UK, you have to beat the refs too. Just like bama football.
We will get a chance to play them again, SEC Tourney.

Ah yes, the SEC Tourney. Where we will get calls like this one : http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2010/3/16/1375022/the-lane-violation-seen-round-the

LC Dawg
01-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Ah yes, the SEC Tourney. Where we will get calls like this one : http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2010/3/16/1375022/the-lane-violation-seen-round-the

I know what that is and I'm not clicking on it. If I watch that right now I'll get so pissed I won't be able to work the rest of the day.

BulldogBear
01-18-2017, 09:04 AM
I know what that is and I'm not clicking on it. If I watch that right now I'll get so pissed I won't be able to work the rest of the day.

I watched the whole second half of that game standing up in my Living Room. Unlike you, I clicked on it. Now I'm pissed again.

smootness
01-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Disclaimer: I am not by any stretch of the imagination very knowledgeable when it comes to basketball. I know a little, not a lot.

i did notice something last night at the Hump that kind of bothered me. But I could be wrong so let me know. There were at least 3 times we committed a questionable foul when we were on our end of the court in both halves. Howland calls a timeout or it's a media timeout and he walks out to the middle of the floor obviously trying to get an officials attention for an explanation but also to conference with his assistants. The refs would bolt to the other end of the floor and basically ignore Howland.

Calipari would get an explanation after every call against UK. If after the ball was inbounded, the official would talk with Cal as he made his way to the other end of the floor. If a timeout was called after the foul, Calipari would get an explanation from the officials and if he was too busy talking to his team, one of his assistants would approach the official for an explanation. This happened alot last night. My wife even noticed it and she knows nothing about basketball. I may need to take off the tinfoil but it sure seemed obvious to me that Valentine and crew were partial towards Calipari.

I'm not sure he was trying to get the officials' attention in those cases, I think he was just conferencing with his assistants. He does that on most timeouts - walks out a ways and talks with assistants while chairs are set up for the team.

HaggardDawg
01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Yes I agree he always conferences with his assistants but last night he was staring at one of the officials trying to get his attention before talking with his coaches and the official sprinted to the other side of the court. That was just my observation from being there. I will say I wish Howland would be a little more assertive towards the officials ala Calipari. I don't see him arguing calls very much. Along the same lines, I wish Stapleton could keep his composure a little better. I love that he's an emotional player but he's got to keep his cool and stop angrily clapping his hands in frustration towards the officials. He's a T waiting to happen. I'm surprised he didn't get one last night. Love his competitiveness though.

BB30
01-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Eh, I was actually surprised last night. I thought we were going to get hosed on the fouls early on but they called it both ways for the most part. There was one stretch that got a little ridiculous. Way to many off ball fouls called. It is honestly ruining college basketball. It was hard to watch last night and there was absolutely no flow to the game what so ever. It seemed like when there was a flow we got in a rhythm shooting the ball. Once we cut the lead in the second half I think we just tightened up a little bit and tried to force some shots that you could get later in the clock instead of driving to the basket. We are young but definitely on the right track.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 09:29 AM

Atleast we always have that technical foul called for the guy backing away from the line that setup the Jamont Gordon 3 to tie. That's it though.

starkvegasdawg
01-18-2017, 09:31 AM
I refuse to watch that.

Liverpooldawg
01-18-2017, 09:50 AM

It's not Cal, its Kentucky. It's always been that way.

BrunswickDawg
01-18-2017, 10:06 AM

I watched the whole second half of that game standing up in my Living Room. Unlike you, I clicked on it. Now I'm pissed again.

I refuse to watch that.

It is comforting to see I'm not the only one who has a bit of rage about that game. Wasn't there an issue with officiating during our regular season game that year too?? A goal tending no call or something?? I remember being already pissed before the tourney game even started.

My kids early memories of MSU basketball are me yelling at the TV about how shitty the refs were. They still laugh about it.

Coach007
01-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I hate being reminded of that!

Liverpooldawg
01-18-2017, 10:12 AM
The way college basketball is officiated now is going to turn me off of it completely if it keeps up. I'll admit I haven't paid much attention in a while but jeez, it's turning into a free throw shooting contest and a contest to see while fouls out first. Last night was just crazy. They got the better of it, but Kentucky always has. It was just the sheer volume of calls on both sides. That game took right at 2 1/4 hours to play 40 minutes of basketball. It's just hard to watch.

Shooter McGavin
01-18-2017, 10:13 AM

I wish I had taken your advice. I clicked on it....and I'm pissed. I'm going home for the day.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 10:28 AM
The way college basketball is officiated now is going to turn me off of it completely if it keeps up. I'll admit I haven't paid much attention in a while but jeez, it's turning into a free throw shooting contest and a contest to see while fouls out first. Last night was just crazy. They got the better of it, but Kentucky always has. It was just the sheer volume of calls on both sides. That game took right at 2 1/4 hours to play 40 minutes of basketball. It's just hard to watch.

What is really bad about it is that the refs are totally inconsistent with it. Some games they call everything a foul and some games they let them play like it used to be. NCAA tourney games aren't called nearly as tightly as our game last night so there's no telling when they are going to be so petty with foul calls. It really is wrecking college basketball and we still don't know why they started this shit in the first place. There was nothing wrong with the product when they decided to start calling everything a foul. It's like they have intentionally sought to damage the product and it has worked and then some.

confucius say
01-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Can somebody post the fourth foul on q. It was like midway through second half and he set a screen right in middle of lane and was called for it. Worst call I've seen in years. Even the announcers were saying it was a horrible call.

smootness
01-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Can somebody post the fourth foul on q. It was like midway through second half and he set a screen right in middle of lane and was called for it. Worst call I've seen in years. Even the announcers were saying it was a horrible call.

That one may have been the worst call of the game. Came up right behind the UK player and was just standing there, the UK player turned and there was contact, blew the whistle on Q. Inexcusable to call that a foul.

notsofarawaydawg
01-18-2017, 12:11 PM
I loved Pat Summit. But she got the same kind of treatment when it came to the SEC women's refs. Just saying it's not going to end until he's gone.

LC Dawg
01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
It is comforting to see I'm not the only one who has a bit of rage about that game. Wasn't there an issue with officiating during our regular season game that year too?? A goal tending no call or something?? I remember being already pissed before the tourney game even started.

My kids early memories of MSU basketball are me yelling at the TV about how shitty the refs were. They still laugh about it.

I think that was when we had about a 7 point lead with a few minutes remaining and from that point all the way through overtime Kentucky was not called for a foul.
I had a three hour ride home after that game and my blood pressure was still sky high when I got home.

TrapGame
01-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I'll never forget Lawrence Roberts getting mugged under the goal by two UK players. The ball goes out of bounds in the collision and awarded to UK. The Hump erupted in boos and Stansbury turned 50 shades of purple.

BayouDawg
01-18-2017, 02:16 PM
The overall fouls ended up being close, us 28 Ky 24. But the refs hosed us especially the first 3 minutes of the second half. Once ky got up by 15+ the refs started calling fouls more evenly to make the total fouls seem "fair". It's just like playing Bama in football.

parabrave
01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
That one may have been the worst call of the game. Came up right behind the UK player and was just standing there, the UK player turned and there was contact, blew the whistle on Q. Inexcusable to call that a foul.

The worst one was the blockout foul very early in the game. Brent announces the refs will be calling a very close game while the other announcer says that was a pretty darn good blockout.

Dawg61
01-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Cats fans have 34 pages of bitching about the refs haha

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/official-game-thread.223052/page-2

shoeless joe
01-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Gerald Boudreaux calling a jump ball in 04 was THE worst hose job in the series. Bowers was on the floor in full possession and the UK player is trying to fouls him and he calls a jump ball instead. I won't even mention what happened next.

HaggardDawg
01-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Gerald Boudreaux calling a jump ball in 04 was THE worst hose job in the series. Bowers was on the floor in full possession and the UK player is trying to fouls him and he calls a jump ball instead. I won't even mention what happened next.

Man, Stans hated Boudreaux! It seemed like every big game from 2001-2009 we would get Boudreaux or Doug Sirmons. Sirmons hated Stansbury. Stans getting tossed for giving him the choke sign against OM in 2004 or 2005 was awesome.

drunkernhelldawg
01-18-2017, 04:31 PM
I wish they had shown more replays of the fouls called. I'm in the dark on the vast majority. The blockout confuses me, but I think the call was that he leaned into the body. Maybe they want it to be a game of feet. The technical was the one that killed us, and that was apparently a valid call. But I never saw the play, so I have to take the word.

Maybe the new rules will eventually make the calls more objective. I do like that the rules force players to control their hands and use their feet on defense.