PDA

View Full Version : QB Controversy

slickdawg
09-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll go ahead and get this thread started.

KennyPowers2
09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I love it too

Political Hack
09-07-2013, 04:19 PM
It's 1 half against Alcorn. They each played about a half against OSU too.

I will say this though, if Dak plays this well against Auburn there will be no controversy.

hacker
09-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Is Russell expected to be out next week too?

Coach34
09-07-2013, 04:36 PM
As of right now- Russell appears to be out next week

The offense just looks so much better with Dak in there- the creativity, the playcalling, the energy- our staff simply does a better job with a mobile QB

msstate7
09-07-2013, 04:37 PM
How about Williams? I like what I've seen out of him

slickdawg
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
As of right now- Russell appears to be out next week

The offense just looks so much better with Dak in there- the creativity, the playcalling, the energy- our staff simply does a better job with a mobile QB

Last year you said watching Russell run was like watching a wounded giraffe run. I can't get that out of my head now.

Political Hack
09-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Wilson was just slammed to the turf by his face mask.

Coach 57
09-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Tyler hasn't been going to class. He said his head "still isn't right". Not only that the tempo of our offense is FAR faster. Although I know the Tyler elitists will say it was because of "the gameplan Vs Ok St." Which is somewhat true. But, as C34 said. Our offense just flows better. I WILL correct Hack on this though. If Dak starts next week & wins.....Dak for SURE is the guy! I don't think he has to do great. Just make some plays. AU's defense is banged up & it will be a game where we rest on the laurels of our defense. It right now is the FAR better unit of the two.

Dawgface
09-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't want Tyler to be hurt, but it would be nice to see what Dak and offense can do against AU. Get a solid win, no way you can sit Dak after that.

Political Hack
09-07-2013, 05:43 PM
If Dak wins against Auburn, it's a controversy and at minimum it's going to be a dual QB system. I dont think Dan will outright declare him the starter.

Goat Holder
09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Dak is going to start but I see Tyler coming in when we get stagnant.

Boys the OL is the problem, not the QB. And it's a bad mfing problem to have. This, coupled with the OL recruit from USP last year, tells me that Hevesy's time is finished. He did some good things for us, but OL recruiting and coaching SUCKS right now.

It_Could_Happen
09-07-2013, 06:02 PM
If Dak is not starting next week Mullen must be blind.

codeDawg
09-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I'll go ahead and get this thread started.

I'm not sure its a controversy to fans. I don't think there is a single person who doesn't get their check from MSU and not named Russell that thinks Russell should start over Dak at this point.

It's only controversial if Dan is starting Russell, and it is clear what the right thing to do for the team is. It may not be right for Russell, but it's the pragmatic choice.

gravedigger
09-07-2013, 08:32 PM
It will not be a controversy if dak wins vs auburn. It will be over. If dak plays well and loses against auburn there will be a slight controversy among those who won't accept what is best for us. If dak looks bad in a loss to auburn then the controversy will be with Mullen. I say bring Tyler back when or if its needed but not before.

msstatelp1
09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
If Dak wins against Auburn, it's a controversy and at minimum it's going to be a dual QB system. I dont think Dan will outright declare him the starter.

+1
DM will be loyal to his seniors even if it becomes obvious Dak fits the system better.

PassInterference
09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Dak is going to start but I see Tyler coming in when we get stagnant.

Boys the OL is the problem, not the QB. And it's a bad mfing problem to have. This, coupled with the OL recruit from USP last year, tells me that Hevesy's time is finished. He did some good things for us, but OL recruiting and coaching SUCKS right now.

OL has been our weakest are of recruiting. Dan has gotten a few good or decent ones, but we need a lot more than a couple or a few.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2013, 09:05 PM
+1
DM will be loyal to his seniors even if it becomes obvious Dak fits the system better.

I think Dan is a better leader than this

Coach 57
09-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Did u guys hear the crowd when the jumbo Tron starting lineup showed him? Man they were FIRED u!

thf24
09-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Interesting fact I learned today attending the Memphis game... Jacob Karam, 5th year senior pocket-passing QB, who started and broke several of Memphis' passing records last season as well as gaining national attention for anonymously playing the piano for kids at St. Jude, was benched at the end of summer practice in favor of a mobile redshirt freshmen QB who fits their offense better. It's an eerily similar scenario to ours, and it's a little disturbing that the second year head coach of a team that should be in 1-AA had no problem seeing the need and making that call, but our fifth year coach who has multiple national championships and Heisman winners as a coordinator does.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 02:21 AM

I agree with this. And the reason is Dak's passing. He is only 19 out of 36 on the year, with most of that damage coming against Alcorn. His QB rating against Oklahoma State was 6.5 per the ESPN QB rating. Tyler's was 23.3 per the same rating which granted is also not good either, but still better especially considering he was playing with a concussion much of the game.

Even today, some of Dak's passes were off, but since our guys were wide ass SWAC defense open with no one around for ten yards, they could take some liberties. Against LSU, that's not going to happen. Probably won't even happen against Auburn either.

If it were me, and this is not cool to say since this is National Dak Prescott week, I would use the two QB system- starting Tyler since he is the senior and I don't want to take a chance on the recruiting backlash. Then I would take audibling (is that a word?) privilages away from Tyler and play Robinson, Shumpert, Bear Wilson, and Fred Brown all a WHOLE lot more and Perkins more in the passing game. I'd also move Robert Johnson to the slot.

biggun
09-08-2013, 02:55 AM
A couple have alluded to our real problem which is our shitty Offensive line.

Now looking at both QB's:

Russell -There is little to no doubt that he has trouble reading defenses therefore he holds the ball too long. Both of those attributes will get him killed with our sieve like OL that now has Ben Beckwith, yet another OL starter with no other division 1 offers, starting at RG. Russell needs the extra second, really two or three, to find his receiver and THEN to set his feet and THEN throw the ball.
Starting with Auburn this Saturday and then with the rest of our SEC opponents, THERE IS NO WAY he will ever get the amount of time he needs to beat any SEC team outside of Kentucky with our crap Offensive Line. That is just telling the truth.
I have to also mention he runs a 6.0 forty and has no wiggle ability to help him avoid the big hits that just happened to end his day against OSU.
Prescott - He does not have a quick release either but does possess a gun for an arm PLUS he is a very good runner AND He is a DUAL THREAT QB WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY WHAT WE MUST HAVE TO BEAT ANY SEC TEAM DUE TO OUR ABYSMAL OFFENSIVE LINE!!! Get it?????

There is no QB controversy. Russell has beaten just one team the last 2 years that finished the season with a winning record, MTSU, and last year, after we got done with the MTSU's of the world, Tyler imploded against the quality SEC opponents we faced like Bama, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, and Northwestern. He was beyond horrible against Ole Miss and Northwestern and it all goes back to what I alluded to earlier in this post: Tyler's inability to read defenses, inability to quickly make the right decision, therefore he then holds the ball wayyyy to long.

Dak must start for the reasons listed above. I didn't even give the "just as compelling other reasons" Dak must be the man like it is now beyond obvious that Dan has no clue how to devise and implement an offensive system for pocket passers with zero mobility. He has no clue what to do with Tyler, Seriously!

Coach34
09-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree with this. And the reason is Dak's passing.
Even today, some of Dak's passes were off, but since our guys were wide ass SWAC defense open with no one around for ten yards, they could take some liberties. Against LSU, that's not going to happen. Probably won't even happen against Auburn either.

Go back and watch the back shoulder shoulder throw he made for a TD when the defender was running step for step with our RB. More reps he gets, the better he looks. As someone said- this is an Alex Smith vs Kapernick situation

TaleofTwoDogs
09-08-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure its a controversy to fans. I don't think there is a single person who doesn't get their check from MSU and not named Russell that thinks Russell should start over Dak at this point.

Amen. brother, Amen.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2013, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=biggun;47941]
Prescott - He does not have a quick release either but does possess a gun for an arm PLUS he is a very good runner

Whoa whoa whoa, Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Dak doesn't have a quick release?.... uh, yea he does.

Dak has a much a quicker release than Tyler and that is a talent evaluation fact.

Dak has a much shorter arm arc and arm action. Not saying it is pretty because Daks arm action can get a little rigid, and Tyler's is smoother, but Dak's arm action is without a doubt shorter than Tyler's.

Thats one thing that impressed me about Dak yesterday. He does have to get more accurate, but when he sees the receiver he gets the ball to him quickly.

Bully13
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
A couple have alluded to our real problem which is our shitty Offensive line.

Now looking at both QB's:

Russell -There is little to no doubt that he has trouble reading defenses therefore he holds the ball too long. Both of those attributes will get him killed with our sieve like OL that now has Ben Beckwith, yet another OL starter with no other division 1 offers, starting at RG. Russell needs the extra second, really two or three, to find his receiver and THEN to set his feet and THEN throw the ball.
Starting with Auburn this Saturday and then with the rest of our SEC opponents, THERE IS NO WAY he will ever get the amount of time he needs to beat any SEC team outside of Kentucky with our crap Offensive Line. That is just telling the truth.
I have to also mention he runs a 6.0 forty and has no wiggle ability to help him avoid the big hits that just happened to end his day against OSU.
Prescott - He does not have a quick release either but does possess a gun for an arm PLUS he is a very good runner AND He is a DUAL THREAT QB WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY WHAT WE MUST HAVE TO BEAT ANY SEC TEAM DUE TO OUR ABYSMAL OFFENSIVE LINE!!! Get it?????

There is no QB controversy. Russell has beaten just one team the last 2 years that finished the season with a winning record, MTSU, and last year, after we got done with the MTSU's of the world, Tyler imploded against the quality SEC opponents we faced like Bama, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, and Northwestern. He was beyond horrible against Ole Miss and Northwestern and it all goes back to what I alluded to earlier in this post: Tyler's inability to read defenses, inability to quickly make the right decision, therefore he then holds the ball wayyyy to long.

Dak must start for the reasons listed above. I didn't even give the "just as compelling other reasons" Dak must be the man like it is now beyond obvious that Dan has no clue how to devise and implement an offensive system for pocket passers with zero mobility. He has no clue what to do with Tyler, Seriously!

This all day

KB21
09-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Go back and watch the back shoulder shoulder throw he made for a TD when the defender was running step for step with our RB. More reps he gets, the better he looks. As someone said- this is an Alex Smith vs Kapernick situation

It is interesting that you bring up that comparison, because Dan has compared Tyler to Alex. He did so prior to last season, stating that no one would mistake Alex Smith as a running quarterback.

Outside of playing for Dan Mullen, there isn't much similar about Tyler Russell and Alex Smith. Alex Smith was much more athletic. He may not have been a "running quarterback" in the truest sense of the word, but he at least gave Utah the threat of the run from this position. Alex did average something like 4.3 yards per rush over his two seasons as a starter at Utah.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 10:46 PM
I think Smith also rushed for over 1000 yards in his Utah career- Tyler couldn't do that in Division II football

KB21
09-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I think Smith also rushed for over 1000 yards in his Utah career- Tyler couldn't do that in Division II football

Yep. 286 rushing attempts for 1,072 yards and 15 touchdowns. That is a 3.7 yards per rush average.

Tyler is a lot more similar to John Brantley, who had 99 career rush attempts for -156 yards.

FISHDAWG
09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
guys... it was only Alcorn State - not much more than a glorified HS team ..... hardly the kind of competition that would make us ready to "crown" a new QB ... I really didn't think Dak was much better against OSU than was Russell

deltadawg99
09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Dak being more mobile helps with our mediocre OL play. Dak can create plays with his legs and escape trouble. Mobility is definitely not Tyler's strength.

I do think that the play calling was more creative on Saturday than it has been in several games. Yes I know it was vs Alcorn, but the play calling was much improved.