msstate7
01-16-2017, 12:39 PM
No way that's real

DownwardDawg
01-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Yeah, they're off a few days.

TheRef
01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
It's legitimate. Biloxi got hammered on social media for the city's twitter account that they were shutting down today for "Great Americans Day"

msstate7
01-16-2017, 12:48 PM
It's legitimate. Biloxi got hammered on social media for the city's twitter account that they were shutting down today for "Great Americans Day"

Just screenshot this...

https://s28.postimg.org/eb3s78fp9/IMG_1509.png (https://postimg.org/image/j9ralrji1/)

I dislike them, but come on mane.

countrydawg23
01-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Just googled and this is what came up.

JoeDirt
01-16-2017, 01:00 PM
All businesses in Alabama and Mississippi will show up on google like this

TrapGame
01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Of course it's real y'all Yankee interloping scum!**

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/southern_gentlreman_spencer_django_8158.jpg

BB30
01-16-2017, 01:36 PM

MLK day wasn't even recognized as a Holiday until 1983. Great Americans day originated in 84-85, some 30 years ago, hardly current. Yes, extremely dumb of someone to actually post that on twitter, but my guess was the person had no idea MLK day was today and just saw that in the books. Very unfortunate, but the headlines that some of these "news" sources are running with is ridiculous.

BeastMan
01-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Academies in MS used to list this as the school holiday (REL). Don't know if they still do. If any school, business, or municipality decides to call it anything other than MLK day, they deserve to come under fire for being idiots. I cannot imagine any schools still do this though.

BB30
01-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Academies in MS used to list this as the school holiday. Don't know if they still do. If any school, business, or municipality decides to call it anything other than MLK day, they deserve to come under fire for being idiots.

Went to an academy and it was always referred to as MLK day. I bet you would be surprised to know that several states not names Mississippi protested the Holiday for various reasons, including several northern and west coast states. We actually fell in line relatively quickly on this one.

BeastMan
01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
MLK day wasn't even recognized as a Holiday until 1983. Great Americans day originated in 84-85, some 30 years ago, hardly current. Yes, extremely dumb of someone to actually post that on twitter, but my guess was the person had no idea MLK day was today and just saw that in the books. Very unfortunate, but the headlines that some of these "news" sources are running with is ridiculous.

Rational idea but I have a hard time believing they didn't know. Anyone in business knows banks are closed for MLK day. Even personal bankers see the signs a week out. I think they were going for politically correct to honor MLK and REL but it blew up. Gotta be smarter than that.

BeastMan
01-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Went to an academy and it was always referred to as MLK day. I bet you would be surprised to know that several states not names Mississippi protested the Holiday for various reasons, including several northern and west coast states. We actually fell in line relatively quickly on this one.

Oh I don't doubt that at all. States like NY or Indiana are incredibly racist but the south has the stigma.

KB21
01-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Oh I don't doubt that at all. States like NY or Indiana are incredibly racist but the south has the stigma.

Yeah, and to go along with that stigma, the South is criticized for having slaves, but the northern states during that time didn't support the war because they didn't want the colored people in their states. In fact, it was Abraham Lincoln's goal to colonize the slaves in Nigeria, I believe. They don't like to teach that part of history though.

Crucifictorious
01-16-2017, 04:02 PM
They teach colonization in every history book. Nice try though. By the way that REL day thing is on google under Starkville businesses too. It's doing it for most places in Mississippi.

BB30
01-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Nope, everything is about fitting a narrative that Mississippi is full of nothing but dumb, ignorant, racist, white Christians and that could not be further from the truth. Do we have a lot of things that our state needs to work on... Of course, but I don't know of any state that doesn't have some baggage.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Academies in MS used to list this as the school holiday (REL). Don't know if they still do. If any school, business, or municipality decides to call it anything other than MLK day, they deserve to come under fire for being idiots. I cannot imagine any schools still do this though.

I know of a few public schools in the delta that use both...

louisvilledawg
01-16-2017, 05:06 PM

My Academy never got out for MLK or REL day.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1819720/ad-george-senior-sad-walk-o.gif

Dawg61
01-16-2017, 05:44 PM
They teach colonization in every history book. Nice try though. By the way that REL day thing is on google under Starkville businesses too. It's doing it for most places in Mississippi.

then Google needs to be held accountable

RocketDawg
01-16-2017, 05:46 PM
What's the definition of an "academy"" Is it a private school, parochial school, or what?

BeardoMSU
01-16-2017, 09:55 PM
NM, Crucifictorious beat me to it.

fader2103
01-17-2017, 11:36 AM
There are several states in the south Miss. Ark. and Alabama I know celebrate Robert E. Lee day. It's not just Oxford. The whole state recognizes it.

Robert E. Lee in fact owned slaves, but he also freed almost 200 of his Father in law's slaves once he and his wife inherited them. Robert E. Lee also opposed slavery later in his life. The main reason he became the general of the Confederacy is because he did not want to fight against his home state.